Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Not meaning to play Devil’s Advocate but he’s had enormous resources. It was he who said last year when there was speculation over Maddison, that they didn’t need to sell,” we have billionaire owners.” He’s pretty much had the backing of their owners in a way that Ole really hasn’t but then again if you factor in the fee that is usually demanded because it’s ‘Utd’ he’d be just as handicapped here as Ole.

While I can give him huge respect, I doubt if he’d get us to where we expect to be. I’d like to see what he’d achieve at Chelsea or Spurs. I feel it’s his next step
Ha ha on what planet has he had massive backing, we’ve sold a player every year and used that money to reinvest in new players.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
How is Leicester finishing fifth behind City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool "bottling" it? He's overachieved to get them this far. In the 3 years after they won the league, they were 12th, 9th and 9th. Even if he "only" gets them to two 5th place finishes and an FA cup, it'll be a big success.

And it's not a surprise that Leicester can beat Chelsea because Leicester are so good and Rodgers is part of the reason why.
Sigh, right as I’ve said before Rodgers inherited a great squad. The three years of midtable finishes were when we had to entirely rebuild the squad that won the league as so many were too old, we were then hampered by the shite summer window after the league win and it’s taken ages to get the squad in the right place. That happened under Puel, every single Leicester fan could see where things were going and that a half decent manager could get so much more out of the team.

Rodgers is a good manager, but the quality is in the squad for him.

Foxbatt

Does he do the actual coaching at Leicester or he has good coaches working for him?

Tyrion

Being comfortably in top 4 till the last two weeks and dropping out will always be seen as a bottle job whichever way you dress it up. It might be harsh but that's how it is.

Does any of what you said mean I should want him at United, though?
I agree but I don't think that makes it a bottle job. Imo, he's part of the reason why they got in the top 4 for so long anyway. If Chelsea lose in the CL final and miss out on top 4, I dont think Tuchel should be blamed as he got them into both positions in the first place anyway.

I can get why you might not want him here. I just think there's a large block of people determined to deny him credit.

Sigh, right as I’ve said before Rodgers inherited a great squad. The three years of midtable finishes were when we had to entirely rebuild the squad that won the league as so many were too old, we were then hampered by the shite summer window after the league win and it’s taken ages to get the squad in the right place. That happened under Puel, every single Leicester fan could see where things were going and that a half decent manager could get so much more out of the team.

Rodgers is a good manager, but the quality is in the squad for him.
Maybe Leicester could do better. But Rodgers wasn't given much credit at Liverpool as people said Suarez made his job easy (even though it took Klopp years and a better team to win the league). At Celtic, people dismissed his achievements as being easy because Celtic should be winning everything anyway (even though they fell apart soon after he left and became an embarrassment). Maybe Leicester could actually do better with a better manager but either Rodgers is the luckiest manager to ever work at this level or he's actually pretty good and there isn't very many managers that would do better than him.

Zoo

Had them in the CL places for 70 weeks over the past two seasons only to end up in the Europa League both times. That’s got to sting a lot.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Had them in the CL places for 70 weeks over the past two seasons only to end up in the Europa League both times. That’s got to sting a lot.
Gutting. Though, not unexpected - performances have been very flat for a while now, and if not for Iheanacho's heroics we'd have dropped out of contention a long time ago.

I think "bottling it" is too simple (and lazy) explanation, although I do think there's certainly an element of mental fragility in there.

Both times the team have dropped off massively in the second half of the season. I wonder if part of that is just the lack of squad depth compared to the top teams.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Gutting. Though, not unexpected - performances have been very flat for a while now, and if not for Iheanacho's heroics we'd have dropped out of contention a long time ago.

I think "bottling it" is too simple (and lazy) explanation, although I do think there's certainly an element of mental fragility in there.

Both times the team have dropped off massively in the second half of the season. I wonder if part of that is just the lack of squad depth compared to the top teams.
That and the inability to alter tactics to suit the time of season. Brendan's rigidness produced the infamous Crystanbul. Bottled it because couldn't alter how we play at that key moment.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
That and the inability to alter tactics to suit the time of season. Brendan's rigidness produced the infamous Crystanbul. Bottled it because couldn't alter how we play at that key moment.
Oh I agree with that for sure. Once he thinks he's found a "winning formula", he seems to flog it to death.

Luke1995

Will Leicester fans care too much about missing out on CL ?

They've just won the Fa Cup for the first time in like, 50 years and still are regularly qualyfing for european competition

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City

They've just won the Fa Cup for the first time in like, 50 years and still are regularly qualyfing for european competition
First time ever!

Luke1995

First time ever!
That's awesome. I feel like Rodgers is the right man for you guys. Been a pleasure to see the club's progress since 2014. Seems so long ago that Pearson was at the wheel.

Congrats and good luck on the final day of the season.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How many points were they clear? I swear it was 15 last season & about 10 this season? He’s done a fantastic job overall but these late season collapses must be a concern for their fans.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Europa is better for them to get more experiance in europe.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

That's the corrupting power of CL money, isn't. I mean, the FA Cup is a real prize that you can celebrate and remember and put in a cabinet and all that. It becomes part of the club's history.

None of that applies to qualifying for the CL, which is most likely followed by going out relatively early without any chance of winning it (for a club like Leicester at this stage of their development), and thus basically comes down to a non-first finish followed by a meh European campaign. But CL qualification now by many valued higher than the domestic cups because of the boatload of money that CL participation brings.

This is logical and unavoidable of course, because football is a big-money business, where success correlates significantly with success. But it does make football so much more boring...

Last edited:

Mr. Ant

Last season they definitely bottled it but this season I feel it's different. Vardy can't score anymore and they relied on Iheanacho too much.
If you look past their starting 11 it's a very average squad. They just don't have the quality in the squad to sustain their form. One or two injuries and there is nobody in that squad to make a difference in a tight match.

Brendan has done a fantastic job over there and I still think EL is a better competition for Leicester than the CL.
Of course they would get more money from CL but they would have to play their strongest team in the CL and that would cripple their league form even more. In the EL group stages they could at least rest some players.

Reactions: Cheimoon

marktan

They miss Barnes and Justin. Out wide there's a real lack of pace with none of Perez, Ian Nachos or the full backs offering width.

Doesn't help that their two best attackers in Vardy and Madison haven't been great, one injured and dropped for partying, the other looking shot similar to the likes of Mane and Rashford, most likely due to lack of a break between this season and last.

FatTails

Not sure why everyone keeps saying t. They need to beat Spurs which is doable and hope one of CP or Villa can get a point against Liverpool or Chelsea respectively.

It’s far from done and the above scenario is not a crazy one. They’re favourites against Spurs IMO and considering the season Villa and Liverpool have had, a draw in one of the other two games is not impossible.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure why everyone keeps saying t. They need to beat Spurs which is doable and hope one of CP or Villa can get a point against Liverpool or Chelsea respectively.

It’s far from done and the above scenario is not a crazy one. They’re favourites against Spurs IMO and considering the season Villa and Liverpool have had, a draw in one of the other two games is not impossible.
Dont they now need to beat Spurs really convincingly ? Liverpool have a better GD and play palace

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's the corrupting power of CL money, isn't. I mean, the FA Cup is a real prize that you can celebrate and remember and put in a cabinet and all that. It becomes part of the club's history.

None of that applies to qualifying for the CL, which is most likely followed by going out relatively early without any chance of winning it (for a club like Leicester at this stage of their development), and thus basically comes down to a non-first finish followed by a meh European campaign. But CL qualification now by many valued higher than the domestic cups because of the boatload of money that CL participation brings.

This is logical and unavoidable of course, because football is a big-money business, where success correlates significantly with success. But it does make football so much more boring...
I don’t think There’s anything meh with less traditional big clubs fans having the chance to watch their club up against the the big boys like Madrid, Barca, juve etc

I agree with you that the fa cup has lost importance and some would prefer top four instead but that’s not all down to money, it’s to see their team against Europe’s best the next year even if there is only a tiny chance their team could win it.

maybe the top 3 and fa cup winner qualify would be a better idea

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Last season they definitely bottled it but this season I feel it's different. Vardy can't score anymore and they relied on Iheanacho too much.
If you look past their starting 11 it's a very average squad. They just don't have the quality in the squad to sustain their form. One or two injuries and there is nobody in that squad to make a difference in a tight match.

Brendan has done a fantastic job over there and I still think EL is a better competition for Leicester than the CL.
Of course they would get more money from CL but they would have to play their strongest team in the CL and that would cripple their league form even more. In the EL group stages they could at least rest some players.
Yep would have to agree with this. To lose so many important players in such a small top 6 outfit is difficult. And with your top striker losing form too through overplay. Yet still win the FA Cup and have a chance of top 4 into the last game is actually laudable.

Rodgers passes the test this season (with reasonable flying colours). His summer purchases and then next season will determine his bottlelessness.

FatTails

Dont they now need to beat Spurs really convincingly ? Liverpool have a better GD and play palace
They need to beat Spurs and hope that one of Chelsea or Liverpool don’t win. GD only matters if all three teams win, in which case they’d need to beat Spurs by at least 5 goals (depends how many Liverpool score against CP)

Luke1995

Well every season now, finishing in the top four seems like a title in itself

I remember when United won the Fa Cup in 2016 but some fans were upset because Van Gaal didn't get CL qualification and seems like the club fired him because of that

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I remember when United won the Fa Cup in 2016 but some fans were upset because Van Gaal didn't get CL qualification and seems like the club fired him because of that
Yeah, I know. As I said, I understand - but I find it a pity how something as lame as ending fourth is now valued higher than winning the FA Cup. They should tie the 4th CL spot to the cup!

Last edited:

Luke1995

Yeah, I know. As I said, I understand - but I find it a pity how something as lame as ending fourth is now values higher than winning the FA Cup. They should tie the 4th CL spot to the cup!
I think a Fa Cup win should in itself give CL qualification. Copa Del Rey and French Cup, Italian cup, German cup, should be the same...

Here the Brazilian cup gives a place in the Libertadores. Unfortunately UEFA will never do that.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I think a Fa Cup win should in itself give CL qualification. Copa Del Rey and French Cup, Italian cup, German cup, should be the same...

Here the Brazilian cup gives a place in the Libertadores. Unfortunately UEFA will never do that.
its not UEFA's decision, the places are awarded to the League who can allocate them however they see fit, they could have an end of season play offs for them if they wanted to

Luke1995

its not UEFA's decision, the places are awarded to the League who can allocate them however they see fit, they could have an end of season play offs for them if they wanted to
Sure. I just feel like allocating one place to the Fa Cup would give the medium and smaller teams (even from other divisions) a chance to play at the biggest stage.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sure. I just feel like allocating one place to the Fa Cup would give the medium and smaller teams (even from other divisions) a chance to play at the biggest stage.
Ha - that's exactly the reason why it won't happen. The Big 6 weren't planning on joining the ESL because they'd like the FA to provide more opportunities to other teams to join the CL. :) Although other teams will be even less likely to win the FA Cup once it gives CL access: the big clubs wouldn't play a weakened team nearly as often anymore. So I guess that'd be the downside to this idea.

Luke1995

Ha - that's exactly the reason why it won't happen. The Big 6 weren't planning on joining the ESL because they'd like the FA to provide more opportunities to other teams to join the CL. :) Although other teams will be even less likely to win the FA Cup once it gives CL access: the big clubs wouldn't play a weakened team nearly as often anymore. So I guess that'd be the downside to this idea.
In Leicester's case specifically, that would probably help. They seem a team more suited to winning cups than leagues these days. But yeah it will never happen.

Stacks

That's because we are traditionally a big club used to challenging in the CL and desperate to get back to the top. We also had won Silverware frequently up to that 2016 win.
Yeah, I know. As I said, I understand - but I find it a pity how something as lame as ending fourth is now values higher than winning the FA Cup. They should tie the 4th CL spot to the cup!
Depends. For Leicester manager and players, the FA Cup win will last longer in their memories. They are adding to their CV's in a way CL qualification doesn't

George the Cat

Yeah, to me the big 6 should include Leicester now and not Arsenal. Of course Arsenal are a bigger club overral but they've become fairy irrelevant and I'd back Leicester to finish above them again next season.
I am loving this post and wish I could see the looks on deluded Arse fans faces when they read it. Thank you.

Sylar

Fa Cup winner v 4th place in a playoff

4th seems to have higher prize reward for a club despite fa Cup win having more meaning for players
Winner gets cl (not needed if fa Cup winner is already in top4)

Game can happen esp given fa Cup completes before aeason ends