Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

city-puma

we had 2 on the bench the decision to drop Ndidi back there was baffling
You have two? Morgan as one of them? You guys are playing a sophisticated system, 3-1-4-2. Morgan probably can’t handle well in that back three which already has one as a makeshift from fullback.

FatTails

The team whose wage bill is the 8th highest in the league, and whose transfer budget in the past 5 years barely cracks the top 10, spends most of the season in the top four, wins a major cup, and finishes 5th, qualifying for the EL, only to be called bottlers by armchair critics on a football forum.

They overachieved last year and this year, simple as that. Well done.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
we had 2 on the bench the decision to drop Ndidi back there was baffling
Was it?

There was no way Morgan could play against the likes of Son. Which meant our only other option was Amartey.

It sucks, but I still think Brendan made the right call. I'd rather have had Mendy on and N'didi as a CB than play Amartey.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
You have two? Morgan as one of them? You guys are playing a sophisticated system, 3-1-4-2. Morgan probably can’t handle well in that back three which already has one as a makeshift from fullback.
I was talking about Amartey and Fuchs, Fuchs could have come on and played on the left with Soyuncu in the middle or Amartey on and switch to a back 4 with a diamond midfield

city-puma

It definitely sting, and I think it stings even more because of how last season ended. The players mentality must be shot to bits. I think in the past 2 seasons we've only been outside the top 4 for about 4 weeks. Sky were constantly showing the infographic during the game about how long each club had been in the top 4 this season, and Leicester were top with about 250 days. Don't think any other club had been in more than 200.

Next steps, we need to replace Vardy as priority one (and Vardy needs to be used more sparingly / off the bench) and priority two has to be a right winger. It's shocking that our best option is still Albrighton. Perez is terrible and Under seems to have been silently shipped off - Rodgers never really rated him.

Other than that, it's difficult to know where else we need cover because of the extent of our injuries. Feels like we need more cover all over the shop. For instance, at full back you'd think Ricardo, Timmy Castagne, James Justin and Luke Thomas would be enough, but apart from Thomas all have been out for significant periods. Similarly at CB, with Morgan gone, we only have Soyuncu, Evans, Fofana (and Amartey, at a push), and all of these have been injured for long spells too.

While there's certainly an element of mental fragility, I think both seasons, it's ultimately been squad depth that has killed us. The problem is it sounds like our wage bill is stretched to it's absolute limit.
I thin you guys need depth in CB and one more creative midfielder at least.

city-puma

I was talking about Amartey and Fuchs, Fuchs could have come on and played on the left with Soyuncu in the middle or Amartey on and switch to a back 4 with a diamond midfield
Apparently, your manager didn’t think it a good choice to have two of back three fullbacks. It cannot work well. You guys lost due to a flash of moment when GK made a mistake. That’s it. Just unlucky.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Apparently, your manager didn’t think it a good choice to have two of back three fullbacks. It cannot work well. You guys lost due to a flash of moment when GK made a mistake. That’s it. Just unlucky.
we had games, a few in a row, earlier this season where our back 3 was Justin Fofana Fuchs, crucially they had Ndidi in the midfield ahead of them ...

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Dont understand the logic that winning the FA cup somehow makes their shocking league form less of a bottle job. Just because you dont have a realistic chance of winning the CL does not mean its pointless to participate
Took 2 points more than Newcastle did in the second half of the season. Own fault for failing to make top 4.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - bad manager who has been extremely lucky in the teams he has managed up to this point.

TheReligion

Abusive
@FriendlyFox @Jimmy Skitz

What do you think of his man management style? I was thinking before there's been three different occasions things have happened behind the scenes and fall outs with players etc.

Dropping players this season against West Ham and rumours about a fall out with Maddison circulating. Previous it was him again and Ben Chilwell.

Can't he control them and has it cost you at crucial times?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
@FriendlyFox @Jimmy Skitz

What do you think of his man management style? I was thinking before there's been three different occasions things have happened behind the scenes and fall outs with players etc.

Dropping players this season against West Ham and rumours about a fall out with Maddison circulating. Previous it was him again and Ben Chilwell.

Can't he control them and has it cost you at crucial times?
there are no issues with that, Chilwell never fell out with him he simply wanted to leave

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dare say he knows that if opens up that envelope of his, it'll be his own name written down.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I thought he and Maddison got dropped last season randomly due to an off field issue. There have definitely been problems during each of his seasons with players.
no Chilwell never got dropped, only missed games when injured.

Maddison was dropped this season, with 2 others, and it was a one off

FatTails

Dont understand the logic that winning the FA cup somehow makes their shocking league form less of a bottle job. Just because you dont have a realistic chance of winning the CL does not mean its pointless to participate
What shocking league form? They finished 5th, behind four teams who dwarf them in resources and squad depth, and ahead many teams who also have more resources.

Would you have assessed them differently if they started like shit and then finished strongly, even though they would effectively have been in the same positions?

PPG and form over the whole season is the only thing that matters, not the sequence of events, and when looking at it this way, they overachieved by finishing 5th, not underachieved.

TheReligion

Abusive
no one was, Chilwell, it wasn't Maddison and there certainly isn't a case of him falling out with players either
Jesus this is hard. The point is a clear one. Both this season, and last, Rodgers has been forced to discipline and drop key players from games. There's also strong rumours he's fallen out with Maddison.

Why is this? Is it Brendan and his management style or is there an issue with the mentality with certain squad players.

Pretending the things didn't happen is silly.

InfiniteBoredom

Next season would be critical for him. Fair enough that he got a trophy, but ultimately they bungled consecutive top 4 finishes after being in there for 95% of the season. Leicester owners are ambitious and they would want CL football to make that next step up, not just a perennial nearly-there.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Jesus this is hard. The point is a clear one. Both this season, and last, Rodgers has been forced to discipline and drop key players from games. There's also strong rumours he's fallen out with Maddison.

Why is this? Is it Brendan and his management style or is there an issue with the mentality with certain squad players.

players get dropped at all clubs, some managers choose to lie and claim they were injured, Rodgers chooses to let fans know and shame the players. and notice its the younger members of the squad being punished, perhaps just a step in them growing up

TheReligion

Abusive
players get dropped at all clubs, some managers choose to lie and claim they were injured, Rodgers chooses to let fans know and shame the players. and notice its the younger members of the squad being punished, perhaps just a step in them growing up
And on both occasions you've missed out on top 4 after huge drops in form..

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City

I think it's the mentality of certain players. It's noticeable that Maddison and Choudhury have been involved in both times. I think (and most Leicester fans seemed to agree) that Rodgers absolutely did the right thing dropping them for the West Ham game.

By all accounts Rodgers is well liked by the players, but it's difficult to tell from the outside. We thought the same about Ranieri, and then I seem to remember a few grumblings in hindsight that all wasn't as well as it seemed.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it's the mentality of certain players. It's noticeable that Maddison and Choudhury have been involved in both times. I think (and most Leicester fans seemed to agree) that Rodgers absolutely did the right thing dropping them for the West Ham game.

By all accounts Rodgers is well liked by the players, but it's difficult to tell from the outside. We thought the same about Ranieri, and then I seem to remember a few grumblings in hindsight that all wasn't as well as it seemed.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't having a dig as @Jimmy Skitz seems to feel, I just found it interesting that issues have cropped up two consecutive seasons which have gone public and on each occasion the season has finished with questions about the mentality.

I guess part of me still remembers the Liverpool Rodgers with the brown envelopes and I'm curious about how he is as a man manager. He's clearly very good as a coach and quite innovative but is it the man management side that prevents him, and his team's, going that extra mile.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
And on both occasions you've missed out on top 4 after huge drops in form..
and in both seasons we have lost key creative players with no depth to cover for them...

I'm sure there are other things that I could find that happened both seasons, Rodgers gets on well with the players any concerns I have with him are not on that front

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What shocking league form? They finished 5th, behind four teams who dwarf them in resources and squad depth, and ahead many teams who also have more resources.

Would you have assessed them differently if they started like shit and then finished strongly, even though they would effectively have been in the same positions?

PPG and form over the whole season is the only thing that matters, not the sequence of events, and when looking at it this way, they overachieved by finishing 5th, not underachieved.
They managed 10 points from GW 28 to GW 38, thats nearly relegation form.

And while the clubs above them on the table are much bigger, Leichester does not have a bad team. Lacking in depth yes, but their first XI is not far behind us and Chelsea

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Initially I thought he would be good enough 5o take over United but he is bit of a bottler and it's very crucial to have a big mentality when managing us.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Lacking in depth yes, but their first XI is not far behind us and Chelsea
I agree on the poor form.

But it's alright saying how good our first XI is, but how often were we able to play that first XI? Todays game, for example, Evans, Fofana, Justin, Barnes all injured. I'm not sure we've had our "first XI" available all season!

city-puma

Summer is coming! After that, it’s a new start. You have an excellent manager. The most important thing your club has to do is to make sure he is convinced to stay in order to build the team. The difficulty to break into the top tier of clubs is massive and needs long term efforts if the investment can only be provided in a sustainable and organic way. Your team should have been proud of what have been achieved this season even though this top-4 setback.