Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Banat

I really hope we are considering him alongside Conte and Zidane, not many links though.
He is a great coach, PL proven, my only concern is he can't really organize defence and it's one of our biggest worries atm.
I don't know his contract situation but we might be able to lure him in january.

keithsingleton

I know I'm the minority here but would like Brendon given a chance to become our next manager. I thought the Liverpool job came to soon in his career and thinks he's a much better manager now. He's had the experience and with what's available we don't have many choices to choose from. The Liverpool link doesn't bother me as he's never really been affiliated with the club, it's not as if he's a Rafa

Loon

:lol:
I just feel he's the Jordan Pickford of managers. Gives the impression without actually being convincing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I know I'm the minority here but would like Brendon given a chance to become our next manager. I thought the Liverpool job came to soon in his career and thinks he's a much better manager now. He's had the experience and with what's available we don't have many choices to choose from. The Liverpool link doesn't bother me as he's never really been affiliated with the club, it's not as if he's a Rafa
We need a manager who is tried and tested on the biggest stage i.e. champions league. Rodgers has a bad record in europe.

TheLiverBird

I just feel he's the Jordan Pickford of managers. Gives the impression without actually being convincing.
Since his arrival at Leicester in his first 2 full seasons he got Leicester to 5th in the league both seasons as well as an FA Cup and Charity Shield.

He’s made Leicester better than than probably 2 of the so called top 6 Clubs and won silverware playing decent football.

I’m not saying he’d be great at United or the perfect fit, but your evaluation of him is far to underrated for my liking.

Crimson King

Since his arrival at Leicester in his first 2 full seasons he got Leicester to 5th in the league both seasons as well as an FA Cup and Charity Shield.

He’s made Leicester better than than probably 2 of the so called top 6 Clubs and won silverware playing decent football.

I’m not saying he’d be great at United or the perfect fit, but your evaluation of him is far to underrated for my liking.
He'd obviously be an upgrade on Ole, especially at this point, but it still feels like he'll end up being a nearly man.

Perhaps at this point in time that's what's necessary though, but we just can't trust the owners and the people they've put in charge to make the correct decisions when the time comes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Increasingly likely that it’s going to be Brenton. I would have taken Conte 10/10 over Rodgers but he’ll have us playing attractive football at least, I guess.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Increasingly likely that it’s going to be Brenton. I would have taken Conte 10/10 over Rodgers but he’ll have us playing attractive football at least, I guess.
He seems like the nearly man tbh. I think we'll be fun to watch but won't win anything of note with him. Leicester have fallen off a cliff this season too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We can't can we?

We are the only club in the world who would hire a manager who is doing worse in the league than us and worse than he did himself the last season.

5th to 10th.

We are 2nd to 5th.

Like why?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
There's no doubt in my mind that if Ole makes a mess of the next two games, our manager about a week from now will be Rodgers.

laughtersassassin

The club and fans have brought it on themselves tbf.

Maybe it’s just a lesson that has to be learned before people will finally accept the utter incompetence of this board has to be overridden by the fans voices sometimes.
True. Though the fans walking out should have been enough.

laughtersassassin

What Conte is the only option? I don’t believe that for 1 minute
Well the options that are available now are gone really.

Conte is top 4 manager in world football so was a no brainer really.

Who's left now?

Poch Rodgers Ten Haag.

None available till the summer. None as good as Klopp Tuchel Pep Conte.

The concern now is are we just giving Ole the entire season? What would be the point in that?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Who's left now?

Poch Rodgers Ten Haag.

The concern now is are we just giving Ole the entire season? What would be the point in that?
So we caretaker if ole gets removed. No big deal, no cause for panic.

im not convinced that Conte would be good for this club and the squad as it is.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There's no doubt in my mind that if Ole makes a mess of the next two games, our manager about a week from now will be Rodgers.
I’m not sure I want to see Rodgers cartwheeling all the way to Manchester.

laughtersassassin

I can see your point there but from the club perspective makes no sense to have Ole playing 352 when you could have Conte

Ole spent years building an attack heavy squad but to win he had to abandon it. That shows his vision is completely failed.

Dominos

Who are the viable caretakers available who could reliably rescue our season? We cannot afford another meltdown midtable finish like Moyes LVG and Mourinho. Finishing outside top 4 sets us back years.

laughtersassassin

Who are the viable caretakers available who could reliably rescue our season? We cannot afford another meltdown midtable finish like Moyes LVG and Mourinho. Finishing outside top 4 sets us back years.
Well with Spurs getting Conte its very possible they will be beating us to top 4.

Keeping Ole is the biggest risk of all!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Who's left now?

Poch Rodgers Ten Haag.

For fans of Utd or for the Glazers?

That’s what you really need to focus on at this point.

The Glazers clearly don’t want a manager who will do any of the following…

1. Override any of their high profile, ‘Disneyland’ transfer targets.

2. Complain about how the club functions from a footballing POV.

3. Be demanding of them to be competent owners.

The Glazers DO want a manager who does the following…

1. Provides a shield between themselves and the furious fanbase.

2. Has an emotional link with the fanbase that keeps the fans placid and patient.

3. Is incredibly grateful to simply be managing in the PL (let alone at Utd) and will be completely servile to their requests as owners.

When understood from that POV, you can see how the needs for the Glazers are very different than the needs of the fanbase - and their behaviour as owners over recent years has made that the gap between their needs and the fans’ needs bigger and bigger.

The current Utd manager has given them a really nice, easy situation for 3 years and during that time, their decision making as owners has atrophied even further and grown even more flaccid - and in turn, so have the ambitions and standards of the Utd fanbase.

Then when another club / owner acts quickly, decisively and shows higher standards it stuns the fanbase and reminds them of the reality they’re in as a club.

The Glazers are dithering and reluctant to act because the situation for them has been pleasant the last 3 years.

Levy, who is famously combative and actually seems to enjoy conflict and asserting himself, will want a manager who gets his squad in order.

Levy is actively CHASING Conte while the Glazers are running from him.

laughtersassassin

For fans of Utd or for the Glazers?

That’s what you really need to focus on at this point.

The Glazers clearly don’t want a manager who will do any of the following…

1. Override any of their high profile, ‘Disneyland’ transfer targets.

2. Complain about how the club functions from a footballing POV.

3. Be demanding of them to be competent owners.

The Glazers DO want a manager who does the following…

1. Provides a shield between themselves and the furious fanbase.

2. Has an emotional link with the fanbase that keeps the fans placid and patient.

3. Is incredibly grateful to simply be managing in the PL (let alone at Utd) and will be completely servile to their requests as owners.

When understood from that POV, you can see how the needs for the Glazers are very different than the needs of the fanbase - and their behaviour as owners over recent years has made that the gap between their needs and the fans’ needs bigger and bigger.

The current Utd manager has given them a really nice, easy situation for 3 years and during that time, their decision making as owners has atrophied even further and grown even more flaccid - and in turn, so have the ambitions and standards of the Utd fanbase.

Then when another club / owner acts quickly, decisively and shows higher standards it stuns the fanbase and reminds them of the reality they’re in as a club.

The Glazers are dithering and reluctant to act because the situation for them has been pleasant the last 3 years.

Levy, who is famously combative and actually seems to enjoy conflict and asserting himself, will want a manager who gets his squad in order.

Levy is actively CHASING Conte while the Glazers are running from him.
Our fans are a part of the problem as they really don't try uphold standards.

Been guilty of buying into United DNA nonsense as well.

We stick with managers to a fault. Old Trafford too way too long to turn in Jose for example.

Fans do have power in managerial appointments. If we where forced into a change there was essentially no other option but Conte which is a Good thing.

He is brilliant

NK86

Who do you think we get if Ole is sacked? Ole not getting sacked would be worse unless he provides the mother of all turn around, which I just don't see happening. We will win 2-3 games and then drop back to our level. That's the most probable thing right now with Ole in charge.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Nailed on that this will happen.

Conte will soon be off the table, Zidane's Champions League achievements seemingly don't carry enough weight for him to be seriously considered outside Madrid, and ten Hag will end up at Barcelona as part of their rebuild.

Mancini's a non starter, Ancelotti is over his bacon fetish and won't be coming back to Britain, while Thomas Frank and Graham Potter will be seen as potentially lightweight and your club won't want another Ole situation.

Brendan Rodgers, on the other hand, has a trophy to his name and that might prove just enough to get him through the door. I'd put money on it.

::sonny::

Him or Pochettino the only two options remained

No reason to sack Ole if these are the alternatives

FatTails

Classic United at this point. Dither and wait around and then the only two available options will be Southgate and Rodgers. Everyone will be ecstatic we avoided Southgate and many will justify it by “well, no one else was available.”

I think the more hilarious one is Poch, who we actually seem obsessed with, and who was literally sitting at home doing nothing for 13 months between Nov 2019 and Jan 2021 but we chose not to hire him then. Now you hear leaks to the press that, “We want Pochettino but he’s not available.”

My local butcher shop plans better.

LawmanMan

Someone told me Rodgers is going to be the next manager. Please tell me it ain't so?!?

dinostar77

Someone told me Rodgers is going to be the next manager. Please tell me it ain't so?!?
Nah, he's gonna replace Guardiola at City when he leaves in 2023 and this place will be up in arms about why Utd didnt consider him.

Jonathan Northcroft said he is very high on city's list to replace Guardiola and they have been admirers of him for a while.

Hes a good manager, someone who could build on Oles work. A natural progression rather than a tear down and rebuild.