Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
He's actually low-key a really short term manager.

At both Liverpool and Celtic things started to unravel in season three, I know he still won the trophies at Celtic but they were progressively getting worse.
Most managers are short-term nowadays. Consider Jose Mourinho who is considered one of the best in the world despite rarely staying in a team for very long.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Most managers are short-term nowadays. Consider Jose Mourinho who is considered one of the best in the world despite rarely staying in a team for very long.
The shelf life for managers is very much short term these days. i'm not sure that we will see very many Ferguson or Wenger empires again. Poch held it together for 5 seasons but I think 3 to 5 will be the average life span for managers these days.

AOAARON

Supports
liverpool
I could say the same.
I am surprised Liverpool haven't brought Rashford.
Manchester United haven't brought VVD
Chelsea haven't brought Mane

What is wrong with all these clubs not buying players from each other?

It is as if they have an agreement to not buy players from each other, but then buying Vardy is fair game?

Remember Arsenal tried to get Vardy but he turned them down.

Vardy also quit England because of all the harassment he got to join the big clubs. The England setup is a tapping up playground.

So I expect the reality is attempts have already been made to get Vardy, but because he said no behind closed doors then official bids were not made.

Did he rejected United too? Because you guys sure could have done with him.

AOAARON

Supports
liverpool
Arsenal tried for Vardy.

But I think his age and high value has put off other clubs. Then you could say three of the top six don’t need him and don’t think he’s the type happy to sit on the bench especially at this stage of his career.

Surprised at Brendon getting a new contract so early. I know they wanna tie him down from Arsenal or other clubs, but usually when this happens for some strange reason it leads to a downturn in form for some managers.
Arsenal have good taste in players but lack convinction. They seem to know someones the real deal but never willing to go all out of them, and then instead settle on their second or third choice targets. I remember when they tried to get Suarez. Given how good he is, and how amazing he proved himself to be, Arsenal evidently had the foresight and scouting ability to know to put a bid in for him.. but the measly 40M and 1 pound bit gave us a lot of leeway to brush them off.

Reactions: SteveJ

dev1l

Totally outsmarted by Klopp today.
Lost twice vs Liverpool this season.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Totally outsmarted by Klopp today.
Lost twice vs Liverpool this season.
Rodgers was always naive in his approach to big games. Under him, we expected to lose them most of the time except during 13/14.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bump. Been going through old football videos during lockdown and stumbled upon one about the Celtic 16/17 season.

Why is the man so dreadful in Europe? His results with Liverpool and Celtic are really poor considering how well he managed to do with those players on a domestic level. With Celtic for example in 16/17 they went through a whole season (League and both cups) losing none, drawing 4 and winning the rest. That is an unbelievable achievement. The european results during that time though were dreadful.

Same goes for Liverpool. Finished 2nd and then next season in the CL had a shocking campaign and then are immediately dumped out of the EL by Besiktas. Next season he has 2 games in the EL and then is sacked. Klopp comes in and remains unbeaten in the EL until the final where Liverpool lose but immediately has more success than Rodgers ever has.

Now at Leicester he's in 3rd place and assuming football starts up again they still have a solid chance of getting top 4 and even 2nd place. Yes, their last few results were poor but nobody expected them to be up there fighting for 2nd really.

His domestic success is bloody brilliant but in Europe he shits himself for some reason.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
can't remember about his Liverpool team but at Celtic at least they have a squad of players that wouldn't be nailed on starters at most Championship teams.

will be interesting to see how we do in Europe under him though

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Liverpool just had a poor squad in 14/15.

Replaced Suarez with Balotelli, Borini and Rickie Lambert which was worse than what Man. United tried to do post Ronaldo and Sturridge inevitably missed most of the season injured.

I don't think they were in europe at all for the slip up of 13/14.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he doesn’t have the savvy to change how he plays and be more cautious and calculated in Europe.

There are those teams that are seasoned European competitors that are wily and know how to set up to get results.

Lennon has no problem getting a goal from a set piece and getting everyone to get behind the ball at Celtic and this has given him some good results on Europe over the years.

Brendans attacking endeavor and swagger is probably a bit naive in these situations and he needs to learn to be more pragmatic.

He will blow away smaller teams with the quality at Celtic because he coaches them to play positive, attacking football, which is too much for teams in Scotland to handle (considering Celtics resources) He will also be a favourite when Leicester play a team in bad form or without the same quality.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
to be fair to him since being at Leicester he makes lots of alterations in games with us in order to get a result, but the CL will be a bigger test, depending on the draw, would assume we'd be in pot 3 or 4

Maluco

to be fair to him since being at Leicester he makes lots of alterations in games with us in order to get a result, but the CL will be a bigger test, depending on the draw, would assume we'd be in pot 3 or 4
I think he is a more mature coach than he was at Liverpool, for sure, and he has a squad now, that is more talented than the one he had at Celtic.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think he is a more mature coach than he was at Liverpool, for sure, and he has a squad now, that is more talented than the one he had at Celtic.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on.
Yep, he should have learned from his earlier experiences. Leicester might get the best of him so far, he is a fairly good manager all things considered.

RooneyLegend

Bump. Been going through old football videos during lockdown and stumbled upon one about the Celtic 16/17 season.

Why is the man so dreadful in Europe? His results with Liverpool and Celtic are really poor considering how well he managed to do with those players on a domestic level. With Celtic for example in 16/17 they went through a whole season (League and both cups) losing none, drawing 4 and winning the rest. That is an unbelievable achievement. The european results during that time though were dreadful.

Same goes for Liverpool. Finished 2nd and then next season in the CL had a shocking campaign and then are immediately dumped out of the EL by Besiktas. Next season he has 2 games in the EL and then is sacked. Klopp comes in and remains unbeaten in the EL until the final where Liverpool lose but immediately has more success than Rodgers ever has.

Now at Leicester he's in 3rd place and assuming football starts up again they still have a solid chance of getting top 4 and even 2nd place. Yes, their last few results were poor but nobody expected them to be up there fighting for 2nd really.

His domestic success is bloody brilliant but in Europe he shits himself for some reason.
He's a mediocre off the ball manager. His teams can play good football but become very vulnerable while doing so.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He always struggled in Europe with us. It was only two seasons but it always felt like European games were a struggle. He was new to it so I guess it's understandable. I remember us getting turned over at home to Real Madrid during 14/15 & struggling against Ludogorets at Anfield as well.

Josh 76

He always struggled in Europe with us. It was only two seasons but it always felt like European games were a struggle. He was new to it so I guess it's understandable. I remember us getting turned over at home to Real Madrid during 14/15 & struggling against Ludogorets at Anfield as well.
Klopp has lost more CL games than Rodgers for Liverpool in first 2 years.
Is this true ?

Untd55

I think it is too early to form an opinion over this. He was only in the Champions League once with Liverpool, so saying he was always poor with them is a bit too short of evidence. It is like when a player scores in the first and only game of the season and a commentator says 'he has scored in every game this season'. The 14/15 team was not even great: they lost Suarez and Sturridge became a part-timer without real replacements; Lambert does not deserve to be mentioned.

I think less effort was put into winning the Europa League back then than it is now. Since Chelsea (twice) and Manutd have won it, English teams seem to be taking it more seriously.

Despite the great achievements at Celtic, they are not a great team. What were people expecting him to do in the Champions League? This isn't the Celtic of the early 2000s that beat us in the group stage. It is not surprising that they find it very difficult to get into the Champion's League group stage.

I don't think he has had enough chances in the Champion's League yet to make any form of opinion on how good he is in the tournament.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp has lost more CL games than Rodgers for Liverpool in first 2 years.
Is this true ?
Rogers only had 6 CL games as Liverpool manager & lost three of them.

In Klopp's first two full seasons we played 15 games in the Champions League (including qualifiers) and lost two games.

Josh 76

Rogers only had 6 CL games as Liverpool manager & lost three of them.

In Klopp's first two full seasons we played 15 games in the Champions League (including qualifiers) and lost two games.
I thought Klopp lost a few away group games.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I thought Klopp lost a few away group games.
Not in 17/18. Klopp arrived a few games into the 15/16 season when we were in the EL. His first full season was 16/17 when we weren't in Europe at all. Then his second full season was 17/18. We won both of the qualifiers, won three and drew three of our group games, and then only lost away to Roma and to Madrid in the final in the knockout stages.

In 18/19 we lost all three away games in the group stage and away to Barcelona.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Teams in this league are far from being great defensively. There's nothing special about conceding nigh on a goal a game.
Only 30 from 200 Premier League sides conceded a goal a game or less in the previous 10 seasons. 18 of them placed in the top 2 and all of them qualified for European competition. Only 2 did it without being in the top 6 in the revenue table.

Leicester conceding less than a goal a game and currently sitting 3rd in the real table while sitting 10th in the revenue table may not be "Leicester winning the league in 2016" special, but it's pretty fecking good if you ask me.

Maluco

Yep, he should have learned from his earlier experiences. Leicester might get the best of him so far, he is a fairly good manager all things considered.
I think he is too. It was his cringeworthy antics that undermined what was a progressive coach at Liverpool. He invested poorly and seemed to lose his way post-Suarez but he had shown enough to see his potential.

Celtic was a great move to rehabilitate and win some silverware and I think Leicester have the best version of him to date. He seems to be more careful about what he says and has become a more respectable figure.

No manager is perfect and everyone has their weak points. If he can improve his demeanor and arrogance and learn from his experiences, who is to say he can’t learn to play more effective football in Europe?

He has always been very meticulous and dedicated, and as a fellow NI man, I would really like to see him progress as a manager.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think he is too. It was his cringeworthy antics that undermined what was a progressive coach at Liverpool. He invested poorly and seemed to lose his way post-Suarez but he had shown enough to see his potential.

Celtic was a great move to rehabilitate and win some silverware and I think Leicester have the best version of him to date. He seems to be more careful about what he says and has become a more respectable figure.

No manager is perfect and everyone has their weak points. If he can improve his demeanor and arrogance and learn from his experiences, who is to say he can’t learn to play more effective football in Europe?

He has always been very meticulous and dedicated, and as a fellow NI man, I would really like to see him progress as a manager.
Might actually put NI back on the football map in the future. He can work with players at his disposal.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC

If you watched us play Man City and Liverpool, you have your answer.

He doesn't know how to be the underdog team, which in many European games he probably was.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So what’s going on with them?

They been awful for a while now. Foxes talk don’t seem happy with him either and some want him gone. No plan b, which everyone said at Liverpool and Swansea.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/120576-king-brendan-ohhh-how-lucky-we-are/page/17/#comments
Form is temporary and class is permanent, that's what happened to them. I don't believe it's down to pandemic, their form already declined started in December 2019 against Norwich.

Their squad was never good enough to be considered a top 4 candidate, I'm sure at the start of season their expectation was Europa League or finishing 5th. Pretty much they are relying heavily on Vardy alone to score, their wingers are too average for top 4 & lack of depth.

They are overachieving it and the fans should be pleased of everything Brendan had done so far, much much better than Arsenal. People shouldn't be blaming about no plan B when clearly there is no option to bring in from the bench for the plan B. Give him the budget to buy and strengthened the squad in the summer then they can start talking to get rid of him if it's still going awful.

Pagh Wraith

xPts before Dec 31 per game: 1.6
xPts after Dec 31 per game: 1.54

As always it makes sense to ignore results to a degree. Some posters pointed out they were massively overachieving during their run in autumn and their performances were nowhere that level. I remember arguments with Leicester fans who wouldn't concede that Vardy in particular was converting chances at an unsustainable rate. They are obviously not one of the four best teams in the league but we shouldn't go to the other extreme now. Performances haven't changed all that much and I think Rodgers has been doing a good job there.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Squeaky bum time for Brenda if we win tomorrow. Would be 3 points off 6th by the time they kick off despite cruising in 3rd for over half the season. Everton and Palace this week, two banana skins, both teams with significantly more rest too.

Never mind top 4 I think they'll struggle to make 5th.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
vI think they've come back the worst after lockdown out of the top 6. Yesterday they were terrible at finishing and looked pretty blunt in other games. I think they could well end up below us, Chelsea and Wolves.

RashyForPM

As I have said in the Top 4 Race thread, these guys ain’t finishing above us, Chelsea or Wolves. After a blistering start to the season, their star players like Vardy, Maddison and Tielemans seem to have completely gone off the boil and look a shadow of the players they were pre-Christmas. Besides those guys, their players aren’t really too good when you fully analyse their starting 11. For example, if you compare theirs with ours you’ll see why I’m certain that we will finish above them this season.

De Gea = Schmeichel
AWB > Justin*
Lindelof = Evans
Maguire > Soyuncu
Shaw < Chilwell
Matic < Ndidi
Pogba > Tielemans
Greenwood > Perez
Bruno > Maddison
Marcus > Barnes
Martial > current Vardy
Final result: 7-2 United

*Pereira is injured and out for the season.

Along with that, their fixture list is horrendous. They still have Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and us to go. Even if Chelsea continue their post-lockdown form, we’ll be fine. Rodgers must really be sweating now.