Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

Schmeichel
Pereira Fofana Soyuncu Justin
Ndidi Tielemans
Perez Maddison Barnes
Vardy​

I think that’s a really nicely balanced team for you guys moving forward, although there’s always the question mark of how long Vardy can stave off Father Time. Iheanacho has definitely stepped up with goals recently though.

Think you could also upgrade Perez for a more natural RW as well. Someone like Pereira from WBA would be a good and relatively inexpensive option imo.
it would be Castagne at left back and either Iheanacho or a new signing on the right in a very fluid 3 but otherwise you're probably about right, Barnes should be back soon, hopefully Soyuncu is back this weekend

liam93

Supports
leicester city
I’m sure Rogers was quoted as saying it ran to the end of his original 5 year contract in 2022?

Anyway, I’m not suggesting they would initiate it, they will go all out for Haaland or Kane, but it’s clear they rated him very highly.

RU Devil

One thing I did like was his post-match comments where he talked about the incident keeping his players out. I admire the way he handled that situation and the fact that he stated one of his primary goals was to raise the standards around the club. That's a positive for a club that has had a few dodgy incidents over the years.
Big props for doing so. I'm sure the fans weren't too appreciative playing a top 4 rival without some big cogs, but I'd think SAF would do something similar. Kind of rooting for them to right the ship & get into the top 4. They definitely have the parts to get there, they just have to hold their nerve & not bottle it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Big props for doing so. I'm sure the fans weren't too appreciative playing a top 4 rival without some big cogs, but I'd think SAF would do something similar. Kind of rooting for them to right the ship & get into the top 4. They definitely have the parts to get there, they just have to hold their nerve & not bottle it.
Yeh it's definitely easier to cheer them on this season now that Utd look more comfortable in second place and last year we had to directly knock them out of the top 4 to get in ourselves. I hope they do make it because they play a good brand of football, have some good players and I think they have a progressive club atmosphere. All the more credit to them - still hope they don't finish above us of course!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
While acknowledging he was great today, I'd have Tielemans over Fred. Same as you I'd have Ndidi in the team. Fofana maybe, he does look like he will be quality but still very young, I'd probably say yes. If this was last season then Pereira would be an easy yes for me, but he was unfortunate with that bad injury. Assuming he'll get back to his best I'll say yes. That's 4-7, Justin has been great but he's unfortunate that Shaw has been class. think Leicester have poor depth in a lot of positions as the United backups are better than their counterparts too.

Don't agree about Arsenal underrating their players, the Arsenal squad is gash. If I was to do the same thing and compare how many Arsenal players would get into the United team, I can name only Saka (Greenwood is a great talent, but while he was good today and obviously a heck of a talent he's struggled this season and I think Saka is more suited to the RW spot). This forum massively overrates this Arsenal side, do you think any other of their players would get into the United lineup?
Honestly? As many as Leicester would have on it! Arsenal have just as good a team as Leicester in my opinion.

Arteta isn’t getting a tune out of them, but they have some real talent there.

Aubameyang would certainly get in as a striker on prior form. I think Partey is a great player and hasn’t been used properly thus far. Tierney is also very good but would be held back by Shaw.

Players like Ceballos, Bellerin, Odegaard and Saka would be very welcome in the United squad. I would like Martinelli too. I think he will be a top player. Smith Rowe looks good too and Mari is an underrated CB for me.

They have a lot of good players, but again, we judge them based on what Arteta is getting out of them. A better manager would have this arsenal squad battling for top 4. No question for me. Rodgers certainly would.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Honestly? As many as Leicester would have on it! Arsenal have just as good a team as Leicester in my opinion.

Arteta isn’t getting a tune out of them, but they have some real talent there.

Aubameyang would certainly get in as a striker on prior form. I think Partey is a great player and hasn’t been used properly thus far. Tierney is also very good but would be held back by Shaw.

Players like Ceballos, Bellerin, Odegaard and Saka would be very welcome in the United squad. I would like Martinelli too. I think he will be a top player. Smith Rowe looks good too and Mari is an underrated CB for me.

They have a lot of good players, but again, we judge them based on what Arteta is getting out of them. A better manager would have this arsenal squad battling for top 4. No question for me. Rodgers certainly would.
I actually forgot about Partey, mainly
because his season being a bit stop start due to injuries.

You’re right in that it’s hard to gauge the level of the players due to the whole squad struggling, but even towards the end of Wenger’s tenure and that of Emery’s, I felt Arsenal fans had an inflated idea of the level of the team. It’s without a doubt the worst Arsenal side I’ve ever known.

I think there’s an argument about those players being in the squad, but Saka is the only one who would start in a United side for me (Auba as well on prior form). I think if I was to do a combined Leicester Arsenal side it would be

Kasper
Pereira Soyuncu Fofana Tierney
Tielemans Ndidi
Saka Maddison/Odegaard Barnes
Aubameyang

I think it’s telling that I imagine the Leicester fans in this thread will argue for Justin over Tierney, and Iheanacho over Aubameyang. I’ve given Auba the benefit based on his past form, but Ineanacho has been impressive, and I rate Tierney highly but Justin has been one of Leicester’s best players so I’d understand the argument. Martinelli looks promising but he’s hardly been able to play for Arteta due to injury. Pereira is still settling back in after his lengthy layoff, but even if he was ruled out I think Castagne is next in line.

I agree with you that Rodgers would be doing a better job with Arsenal than Arteta is, he’s a better manager and has a lot more experience to draw upon. The job Arteta has is a bit of a shite one, the squad was full of deadweight and he’s had very little money to spend. All opinions though ain’t it.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Aubameyang doesn't even play as the striker for Arsenal, and don't let current for cloud everything Vardy is still better than Iheanacho

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Aubameyang doesn't even play as the striker for Arsenal, and don't let current for cloud everything Vardy is still better than Iheanacho
He’s played on the wing a fair bit recently but he’s played plenty of games centrally for Arsenal. What would your combined Arsenal Leicester team be?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
probably that team but with Vardy as the striker, not sure on the 10, not seen enough of Odegaard

lysglimt

Scout
Out of curiosity - looking at the Premier League, if Brendan was offered any of the 19 other jobs in the P.L all with a salary he would accept - how many of the jobs would he leave Leicester for ? To be quite honest, with the team he has built at Leicester, with the fairly young squad (Iheanacho, Soyuncu, Fofana, Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison to name some) - I can only really imagine him leaving Leicester for 4 jobs in the P.L - Chelsea, United, Liverpool and City. And since all those managers at the moment are very safe - I just can't see Leicester-fans having to be too afraid of losing him. I see a lot more potential in this Leicester-side than I do with Spurs, I would even add Arsenal even if they have some really talented youngsters.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If Leicester fail to get Champions League, he'll be off to Spurs.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Agreed, it might be worth it to take Vardy out of the team for a while instead.
Even though Vardy is going through a dry spell in the goals dept at the moment he is still running at defenders and creating space. He is more dangerous when Maddison plays.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
If Leicester fail to get Champions League, he'll be off to Spurs.
But if Leicester do get the Champions League there will be another Brendan Rodgers portrait of himself hanging up in his house. High stakes here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Out of curiosity - looking at the Premier League, if Brendan was offered any of the 19 other jobs in the P.L all with a salary he would accept - how many of the jobs would he leave Leicester for ? To be quite honest, with the team he has built at Leicester, with the fairly young squad (Iheanacho, Soyuncu, Fofana, Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison to name some) - I can only really imagine him leaving Leicester for 4 jobs in the P.L - Chelsea, United, Liverpool and City. And since all those managers at the moment are very safe - I just can't see Leicester-fans having to be too afraid of losing him. I see a lot more potential in this Leicester-side than I do with Spurs, I would even add Arsenal even if they have some really talented youngsters.
Did Rodgers actually build that team or were alot of the players already there before Rodgers arrived?

I cant remember

Tallis

I think Leicester have some very talented scouts / transfers related people. Fofana is a genius signing. Would love for Utd to hire whoever is scouting or approving these transfers.

Bebestation

he didn't sign all of them but he has clearly massively improved them as a coach
Who are some that he bought and done well?

Who are the ones he didnt buy and improved due to his coaching?

I've not been following Leicester much recently but I'd like to compare the Leicester team to the Liverpool team he built.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I've not been following Leicester much recently but I'd like to compare the Leicester team to the Liverpool team he built.
What's Leicester approach to transfers though? I mean, how much of a say does Rodgers have in all of that, from the focus of the scouts to the decisions on players to try and sign.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I agree to be honest. It would only be one of those 4 that would tempt him away in England.

He might fancy a job abroad though?

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah I agree to be honest. It would only be one of those 4 that would tempt him away in England.

He might fancy a job abroad though?
He might - but his name is much bigger in the UK than abroad. So the top 10 clubs in Europe (not counting the P.L Clubs) would probably not be interested because his name isn't big enough.

So Leicester should feel pretty safe - the foreign clubs don't want him, and the English clubs either don't need him or haven't got the squad to tempt him

TheReligion

Abusive
He might - but his name is much bigger in the UK than abroad. So the top 10 clubs in Europe (not counting the P.L Clubs) would probably not be interested because his name isn't big enough.

So Leicester should feel pretty safe - the foreign clubs don't want him, and the English clubs either don't need him or haven't got the squad to tempt him
What foreign club could you see him at?

Bebestation

What's Leicester approach to transfers though? I mean, how much of a say does Rodgers have in all of that, from the focus of the scouts to the decisions on players to try and sign.
I mean I agree and it's why I'm not sure if I rate Rodgers more than Leicester City's methods of their director of football or footballing scouts.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25/1

Rodgers bought Borini, Benteke, Joe Allen, Aspas, Mignolet, Toure, Balotelli, Sakho, Clyne, Can, Llalana and so many more 'average players' in my eyes compared to the good/top class players like Coutinho, Sturridge, Firminho, Milner and Gomez.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

he signed James Justin, Ayoze Perez, Youri Tielemans (permantently, he signed on loan the month before Rodgers was hired), Dennis Praet, Timothy Castagne and Wesley Fofana.

he has massively improved Justin, Soyuncu, Chilwell, Barnes, Ndidi, Maddison, Iheanacho and Vardy (his all around game is much better).

He has also promoted youth team players like Luke Thomas, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Sidnei Tavares and Vontae Daley-Campbell.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean I agree and it's why I'm not sure if I rate Rodgers more than Leicester City's methods of their director of football or footballing scouts.

Rodgers bought Borini, Benteke, Joe Allen, Aspas, Mignolet, Toure, Balotelli, Sakho, Clyne, Can, Llalana and so many more 'average players' in my eyes compared to the good/top class players like Coutinho, Sturridge, Firminho, Milner and Gomez.
Just so it's clear, I'm trying to argue for or against Rodgers here; just that, more generally, I would like to have a clearer picture of the direct influence that managers have on transfers that happened during their term before praising or criticizing them for it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

That’s very harsh on Lallana

Iron

Brendan has proven himself to be a poor mans version of klopp, wich is still great for him. His coaching was great at liverpool as well, his transfers were awfull though. I would not want him here, because he managed liverpool and because he might fold at a big club and we cannot afford to make more mistakes.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Brendan has proven himself to be a poor mans version of klopp, wich is still great for him. His coaching was great at liverpool as well, his transfers were awfull though. I would not want him here, because he managed liverpool and because he might fold at a big club and we cannot afford to make more mistakes.
His football is nothing like Klopps

galwayfa

I think he's a very good manager, has a plan and way of playing, his signings have been fir the most part good, even with vardy misfiring for now, ineacheo has stepped up, wonder was it a change of way they played as I never rated ineacheo before this run of form

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I dont think any foreign clubs would hire him because his qualities is a lot bigger than his name
Don't you think they follow English football enough to figure out what coaches could work for them? I think the problem might rather be that the big leagues tend to hire local coaches more often, that he has now probably become too big to go to the Netherlands or a similar country, and that he may not want to leave the EPL himself to make sure he isn't out of the picture if one of the biggest EPL jobs becomes available. If it wasn't for all that, I think he would fit quite well at a club like Dortmund or Leipzig. (Not sure his approach to football would be welcomed as much by(sub)top clubs from Spain or Italy.)

432JuanMata

Leicester winning the league was the biggest achievement in PL history for me, but it was when top teams where In transition and Coty weren’t putting up 90+ points a season.

They returned to mid table afterwards like they should. Now Rodgers has made them a top 5 side with no where near the budget of the others and yes they bottled top 4 last year but he has broke the top 6 and done a incredible job.

dbs235

Leicester winning the league was the biggest achievement in PL history for me, but it was when top teams where In transition and Coty weren’t putting up 90+ points a season.

They returned to mid table afterwards like they should. Now Rodgers has made them a top 5 side with no where near the budget of the others and yes they bottled top 4 last year but he has broke the top 6 and done a incredible job.
Yeah, to me the big 6 should include Leicester now and not Arsenal. Of course Arsenal are a bigger club overral but they've become fairy irrelevant and I'd back Leicester to finish above them again next season.

432JuanMata

Yeah, to me the big 6 should include Leicester now and not Arsenal. Of course Arsenal are a bigger club overral but they've become fairy irrelevant and I'd back Leicester to finish above them again next season.
Yeah absolutely. This is the thing Arsenal have been woeful this year but even if they weren’t Leicester would be still ahead of them. It’s the reason I think Rodgers has done a great job

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Did Rodgers actually build that team or were alot of the players already there before Rodgers arrived?

I cant remember
Quite a few were in place already, Brendan is emphatic that recruitment is a team game at Leicester with Jon Rudkin having the overriding say. He tells the group what he is looking for and then a short list is built based on quality, availability & cost. It is his job then to develop the players.
I actually believe this is the way most teams operate, It is the press that like to make the Manager responsible for recruitment.