Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Picked a random group of Managers to look at their league records for their current/last club. Rodgers to be fair has done very well. Bielsa with the same win percentage as Arteta... :lol:

ManagerGamesWin %PPGGD
Ole Gunnar Solskjær9453.19%1.87+71
Brendan Rodgers8451.19%1.73+47
Frank Lampard5749.12%1.67+25
Jose Mourinho5846.55%1.64+30
Carlo Ancelotti5444.44%1.57+1
Mikel Arteta5642.86%1.54+22
Marcelo Bielsa3542.86%1.43+0
David Moyes5339.62%1.42+4
Nuno Espírito Santo11138.74%1.29-1
Ralph Hasenhüttl9635.42%1.27-27
Dean Smith7231.94%1.15-18

mbs1984

Supports
Leicester
I’m not sure how anyone can look at the Leicester fans on this forum and actually want them to qualify for the Champions League.
It's a good point.

A few inoffensive posts from a handful of fans on an internet forum, vs Liverpool.
I’m not sure how anyone can look at the Leicester fans on this forum and actually want them to qualify for the Champions League.
Can't see anything particularly offensive, controversial or disrespectful towards Manchester United posted by any Leicester fan on here?

But if there are a poster or 2
Just incredibly cocky about a game United clearly didn’t give a shit about. Or if we go back a season incredibly cocky about being ahead of us after signing Maguire.
Who has been cocky?

Last night was an absolutely monumental win for Leicester in the context of our season. It doesn't matter one jot that Manchester United didn't put out a full strength side, that victory was absolutely critical in terms of top 4 ambitions, which makes a massive difference to our ability to retain our top players, and give us more power in terms of recruiting talent and giving us a medium/long term chance of continuing to compete at the top end of the table. Not to mention stopping, temporarily at least, the narrative about collapsing at the end of the season again.

Just because it was an under strength Manchester United team has no bearing on how happy Leicester fans should be about winning that game, it was huge.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just incredibly cocky about a game United clearly didn’t give a shit about. Or if we go back a season incredibly cocky about being ahead of us after signing Maguire.
I think they're on the whole actually a very well-behaved group of oppo fans on here. I know people can be rather sensitive about anything that's being said about Man Utd, but I think you'e really exaggerating here.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I know we can be myopic as football fans and only focus on our own teams, but this is a bit of a fallacy.

The FA Cup game you were basically missing Shaw, Fernandez and possibly Cavani from a full strength XI. For comparison, we were missing Maddison and Ricardo.

As you refer to the previous season as a barometer for what you'd expect to happen, bear in mind we had to wheel out a geriatric Wes Morgan to replace the injured Ryan Bennett (exactly) in the CL shootout. Not to mention missing Ricardo, Maddison, Soyuncu or Chilwell.
For the Cup game your advantage wasn’t who we were missing, but that we played Milan in Italy on Thursday whereas you guys had a full week’s rest because Rodgers can’t buy a knock-out win in Europe.

acnumber9

It's a good point.

A few inoffensive posts from a handful of fans on an internet forum, vs Liverpool.

Can't see anything particularly offensive, controversial or disrespectful towards Manchester United posted by any Leicester fan on here?

But if there are a poster or 2

Who has been cocky?

Last night was an absolutely monumental win for Leicester in the context of our season. It doesn't matter one jot that Manchester United didn't put out a full strength side, that victory was absolutely critical in terms of top 4 ambitions, which makes a massive difference to our ability to retain our top players, and give us more power in terms of recruiting talent and giving us a medium/long term chance of continuing to compete at the top end of the table. Not to mention stopping, temporarily at least, the narrative about collapsing at the end of the season again.

Just because it was an under strength Manchester United team has no bearing on how happy Leicester fans should be about winning that game, it was huge.
Liverpool are certainly a bigger evil, but actively wanting Leicester to qualify? No thanks.

The cocky one will be the one bragging about United not beating Leicester this season, ignoring any context. The same guy dismissing the notion that United and Chelsea were better than last season. The same one raving about how much better Soyuncu was than Maguire (hasn’t aged well).

The litany of Leicester fans who signed up last year when all was going well and then disappeared. My limited experience of your fan base coupled with the smug twat that manages you has put me off Leicester somewhat. You joined this site this morning so I wouldn’t expect you to know that. Weird timing though.

I didn’t say or suggest Leicester fans should be unhappy, just that swinging your dicks around should be tempered by the circumstances.

acnumber9

I think they're on the whole actually a very well-behaved group of oppo fans on here. I know people can be rather sensitive about anything that's being said about Man Utd, but I think you'e really exaggerating here.
You weren’t on the forum when he had Leicester fans crawling out the woodwork regarding Maguire. You wouldn’t know because many of them quickly disappeared.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You weren’t on the forum when he had Leicester fans crawling out the woodwork regarding Maguire. You wouldn’t know because many of them quickly disappeared.
I have been lurking here for years, I did see all that. The stuff about Maguire was annoying, I agree, but quite a few of those posters disappeared, and those that are left generally seem very reasonable to me - certainly everyone that got promoted. I don't see it in this thread either; they're generally pretty realistic about their side and their place in the pecking order (so to speak).

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Every club has it's share of wanker fans who like to take digs at other teams especially successful teams. They are the same fans who slam Brendan Rogers on our own Forum whenever we lose a game.
Please don't judge Leicester based on the trolls !
Top four is a massive accomplishment for a club like us especially after choking last year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Am I right in thinking they've had a particularly horrid time with injuries this season? Seems like nearly all their starters have had spells out.

romufc

Am I right in thinking they've had a particularly horrid time with injuries this season? Seems like nearly all their starters have had spells out.
You are right. They have managed it very well without their better players.

Ricardo, Castagne, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Harvey Barnes and Maddison have all had long spells out this season.

The work he has done is a very good one.

acnumber9

Every club has it's share of wanker fans who like to take digs at other teams especially successful teams. They are the same fans who slam Brendan Rogers on our own Forum whenever we lose a game.
Top four is a massive accomplishment for a club like us especially after choking last year.
True. I’m sure there are plenty of good Leicester fans out there. My irritation is probably driven by my dislike for Rodgers and the commentary from yesterday’s game winding me up.

mbs1984

Supports
Leicester
Liverpool are certainly a bigger evil, but actively wanting Leicester to qualify? No thanks.

The cocky one will be the one bragging about United not beating Leicester this season, ignoring any context. The same guy dismissing the notion that United and Chelsea were better than last season. The same one raving about how much better Soyuncu was than Maguire (hasn’t aged well).

The litany of Leicester fans who signed up last year when all was going well and then disappeared. My limited experience of your fan base coupled with the smug twat that manages you has put me off Leicester somewhat. You joined this site this morning so I wouldn’t expect you to know that. Weird timing though.

I didn’t say or suggest Leicester fans should be unhappy, just that swinging your dicks around should be tempered by the circumstances.

Context works both ways. It was suggested by a poster that Manchester United fielding a weakened side was to blame for the FA Cup defeat, and then in the same breath referred to Manchester United taking 6 points off us last season as the barometer, when taking one look at the Leicester XI for the last game of that season would demonstrate the issues LCFC were facing at the time with injuries and suspensions. Ultimately, the league table doesn't lie after 38 games and you're above us.

Every fanbase has its morons, of course we're no different. I guess you're more likely to come across them when your teams are currently competing at a similarish level and where there have been notable things happening between the clubs (e.g. Maguire sale).

I can see why Rodgers rubs people up the wrong way, although i think he has significantly tempered a lot of his previously annoying traits. He has been the perfect manager for us at the perfect time really.

As for Soyuncu v Maguire, Soyuncu last season consistently hit heights that Maguire never did in a Leicester shirt (basically performed as if he had all the plus points of Maguire, but with pace). This season he has had his injury issues and Covid, and has looked a lot less assured than he did previously whenever he has played. Time will tell who is the better player, but ultimately the deal looks to have benefitted both sides, Maguire has grown into the Manchester United shirt as time has gone on, whilst LCFC received a huge fee.

mu4c_20le

I can see why Rodgers rubs people up the wrong way, although i think he has significantly tempered a lot of his previously annoying traits. He has been the perfect manager for us at the perfect time really.
A section of your own fans are calling for his head. He's done a good job taking you back up into top 4 contention after Puel, but I think the psychological effect of bottling it two years in a row could be too much for some people. Winning the cup could buy him another year or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly resigns by mutual consent and ends up at Spurs if he doesn't.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I second this. United has its fair share of wanker fans. Especially way back when we were successful and they'd be trotting lines like "we took pity on you" whenever we lost a game.

I like Leicester. Decently run club, good team. Rodgers is cringy at times, but he's proven himself a very good manager. I think their rise has been very refreshing. Them making the CL and keeping their players would be a good thing.

But man, do some Leicester fans chat a lot shit, especially the newer ones in the caf.

mbs1984

Supports
Leicester
A section of your own fans are calling for his head. He's done a good job taking you back up into top 4 contention after Puel, but I think the psychological effect of bottling it two years in a row could be too much for some people. Winning the cup could buy him another year or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly resigns by mutual consent and ends up at Spurs if he doesn't.
Unfortunately, you'll always get the types of characters, especially in these days of instant gratification, who get spoiled by success and expect that to become the norm, or who simply aren't capable of seeing the bigger picture, or of rational thought. It's a very small minority of fans on the forums who'd want him out.

Rodgers has clearly done a really really good job. To be in an FA cup final and Top 4 contention again, especially considering the considerable injuries we've had this season, is an excellent achievement. There isn't much upside to losing him, whilst there is a lot of downside. He's about the best manager a club of our size could attract, although I'd also say we've been good for him too given the young talented squad he inherited, and with owners genuinely invested in the success and continued growth of the club.

I'd be reluctant to automatically say we'd have bottled it if we don't get Top 4 this season, although clearly the media narrative will suggest otherwise, and the disappointment amongst our own fans would be massive given the circumstances. Newcastle debacle aside, only 2 teams have won more points than us over the last 5 games and we have 2 difficult fixtures to finish, which we could easily lose on any given day with no-one really batting an eyelid. We could conceivably pick 3 points up from those 2 games and still not qualify for the CL, and it'd be hard to really suggest a bottling if that happens given Liverpool would have picked up 23 points from 9 games if that scenario played out.

If we don't get top 4, i'd be looking at meek home defeats to Fulham, West Ham, Leeds, Newcastle, Arsenal and even Everton first, before looking to point the finger at the squad and manager mentality at the business end of the season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Chuffed for him. He’s an excellent coach/manager and every top club in England who are currently threading water (and there’s a few of us) should be seriously considering him to take over.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Delighted for him and Leicester. He’s a very good manager.

Castia

Fair play he’s a good manager

Plays attacking football and signs highly rated young players

Anybody got a feeling he’ll join Spurs over the summer? They’re obviously waiting for someone.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really good manager, pleased for him.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He had three things going against him to be considered a good manager.
1. Bottling the league run in.
2. Poor in the domestic cups (ignoring his time at Celtic).
3. Poor record in European competition.

He has won the cup and if he can get top 4 then he only has his poor European record hanging over him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I liked him at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester. I fully understand the dislike his way given the Liverpool stint but he's clearly a good manager. Delivering an FA Cup at Leicester isn't light work, nor is fighting for top 4 two seasons running. Even if he nearly misses out again, his squad isn't as good as the teams above him. Very well done today, winning FA cup beating United and Chelsea on the way.

Tyrion

Finally a good manager then?
Has to be. People here may not want to admit it because he was at Liverpool and he can embarrass himself sometimes but he's obviously one of the better managers in the PL (imho top 5 or so).

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

Anybody got a feeling he’ll join Spurs over the summer? They’re obviously waiting for someone.
Why would he want to join Spurs? It will be a backward move since he’s got Leceister into the champions league and Spurs will not be in it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He deserves a domestic title, much to maligned for that collapse at Liverpool but has been a tremendous manager for Leicester. He deserves to be with a better team, don't think any of the 'big 4' would be willing to take him for their current managers though. He's better than Tottenham and Arsenal as well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has to be. People here may not want to admit it because he was at Liverpool and he can embarrass himself sometimes but he's obviously one of the better managers in the PL (imho top 5 or so).
Perfect manager for Leicester really with the squad they had at the time he turned up.

Claude Puel had all of Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans, Chilwell 12th in the league I think when he got sacked in Feb 2019 so example then of more defensive minded manager underachieving with what he had and they've quickly pushed on under Rodgers.

MU655

Great manager. Done a brilliant job with Leicester.

Previous two seasons to his management they finished 12th and 9th, and were struggling the half season before he took over (12th before he took over). Potentially, taking them to a third-place finish and FA Cup win in two and a half seasons with less resources than their rivals.

Castia

Why would he want to join Spurs? It will be a backward move since he’s got Leceister into the champions league and Spurs will not be in it.
Arguably yeah but he might look at the long term and believe Spurs offer the better opportunity

There might be a feeling of not getting much better than this

I dunno it’s just a thought

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

If he's smart he should stay at least one more year at Leicester, take the CL experience and see where we are at.

Ole needs to have a good run in Europe and a sustained push at the title next year.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Always makes me laugh when I cast my mind back to Celtic fans apoplectic with rage that he left them to go to ‘only Leicester’. The chap obviously is incredibly ambitious and fancied himself to salvage his reputation in the Premier League and he’s done that with aplomb inside three years.

Rodgers wouldn’t publicly admit it but he undoubtedly saw Leicester as a stepping stone towards nailing a ‘big 4’ job and I’ll be shocked if that doesn’t materialise sooner rather than later for him.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I feel like if he went to Arsenal or Tottenham then his ceiling wouldn’t be much different to where he is with Leicester. They just don’t quite have enough to compete with the top sides in the league, and I think Leicester are run far better. Maybe more wise to keep going and seeing if one of the clubs that are up there already go after him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has done brilliant job at Leicester, hopefully he will finish top 4 too. Would be awesome season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arguably yeah but he might look at the long term and believe Spurs offer the better opportunity

There might be a feeling of not getting much better than this

I dunno it’s just a thought
Only if they miss out on top 4 I think.