Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Tyrion

Feck no. What did we learn today?

Leicester can beat Chelsea? Yeah we know that. Nothing has changed. They still could bottle top 4.
How is Leicester finishing fifth behind City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool "bottling" it? He's overachieved to get them this far. In the 3 years after they won the league, they were 12th, 9th and 9th. Even if he "only" gets them to two 5th place finishes and an FA cup, it'll be a big success.

And it's not a surprise that Leicester can beat Chelsea because Leicester are so good and Rodgers is part of the reason why.

Withnail

How is Leicester finishing fifth behind City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool "bottling" it? He's overachieved to get them this far. In the 3 years after they won the league, they were 12th, 9th and 9th. Even if he "only" gets them to two 5th place finishes and an FA cup, it'll be a big success.

And it's not a surprise that Leicester can beat Chelsea because Leicester are so good and Rodgers is part of the reason why.
Being comfortably in top 4 till the last two weeks and dropping out will always be seen as a bottle job whichever way you dress it up. It might be harsh but that's how it is.

Does any of what you said mean I should want him at United, though?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
If (most likely when) Southgate fails with England BR would be the perfect choice.

All that attacking talent with an attacking manager. He's young but experience.

Makes too much sense so England definitely won't consider him.

RooneyLegend

Why does he deserve credit for that win? Someone scored an amazing goal, Pete Jr made a couple of amazing saves, and VAR saved the day. I'm not seeing the brilliance he put out there.

Siezard

United could have won the Fa cup and probably should be in the league cup final against Man City.

Also, if United didn't lose to Leipzig and the Turkish team, we could be talking about the Champ League final instead of the Europa final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
United could have won the Fa cup and probably should be in the league cup final against Man City.

Also, if United didn't lose to Leipzig and the Turkish team, we could be talking about the Champ League final instead of the Europa final.
Yeah but we weren't good enough for any of that

gajender

Unless you are being sarcastic your points are nonsense, We are where we are because we weren't good enough at key moments in our season and how can we be in League Cup final against City when they are one who dumped us out.

RedViv

Lots of ifs and buts there , we shot our selves in the foot in turkey in cl , in that alternate world we would have been champions, fa cup winners and cl winners as well .

TsuWave

if jupiter didn't have the gravitational pull it has, you might not be alive

amolbhatia50k

if jupiter didn't have the gravitational pull it has, you might not be alive
And we lost to Leicester in the FA cup and would most likely lose to City in the league cup.

If Liverpool had the same season as last year they'd be on 20 titles! Logic

Siezard

And we lost to Leicester in the FA cup and would most likely lose to City in the league cup.

If Liverpool had the same season as last year they'd be on 20 titles! Logic
Dude, united had to face a huge contest against Milan away on 18 March and then Leicester away on 21 March. That's an unfair schedule.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dude, united had to face a huge contest against Milan away on 18 March and then Leicester away on 21 March. That's an unfair schedule.
If you want to win cups, you always play those kind of schedules. It's nothing new or unfair.

amolbhatia50k

Meh, we have a very expensive squad. Big clubs get on with it.

francobaresi

Easier with lower expectations and less pressure though. He hasn’t inherited a real mismatched squad either.At Utd I doubt if the fans would accept tame results as WHU, Newcastle, Brighton

Pluses: he has supportive owners and has bought pretty well.
But we'll accept losing at home to Sheffield United and Crystal Palace...

Mainoldo

Would love him to be our next manager. Great coach and deserves another crack at the top.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
But we'll accept losing at home to Sheffield United and Crystal Palace...
That’s just the point, we don’t. Leicester fans can because finishing top 4 and winning a cup is a magnificent achievement.
Even if we did that and say win the EL, a lot of fans would still moan about us needing UCL and PL wins. The expectations of Utd far supersede anything Foxes fans have. That was their first FA win in 137 years. We can’t go 137 minutes before fans moan.. even if we win

Oranges038

Was a Stevie G slip away from securing the title with Liverpool, they played some nice football under him and scored bags of goals. Has done really well with Leicester, Fa Cup aside they have been consistently one of the best sides in the league unser him.

Would be a good choice as manager to replace Ole, he's tactically very astute and plays decent football. He could also bring Fofana with him too. Plus he's got that added incentive to prove Liverpool wrong. Top concern would be that his teams in the PL seem to suffer poor form and stutter toward the end of the season.

If they secure it, I can't see him being tempted out of Leicester to any teams that aren't in the Champions League. Be great to see how he fairs in it with them and how he copes with both it and the league fixtures.

edgecutter

Why does he deserve credit for that win? Someone scored an amazing goal, Pete Jr made a couple of amazing saves, and VAR saved the day. I'm not seeing the brilliance he put out there.
I get that people don't like Rodgers due to his Liverpool connection, but to not give credit for winning a cup and possibly getting CL football is completely deluded. Everyone here was bugging up ole over a lucky win the last 16 of the champions League a few years back against PSG. He's done a lot more at Leicester than ole has done here with less resources. Give the guy some credit.

edgecutter

That's on us. We should have qualified for the last 16 of the champions League and that game wouldn't have been an issue.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That’s just the point, we don’t. Leicester fans can because finishing top 4 and winning a cup is a magnificent achievement.
Even if we did that and say win the EL, a lot of fans would still moan about us needing UCL and PL wins. The expectations of Utd far supersede anything Foxes fans have. That was their first FA win in 137 years. We can’t go 137 minutes before fans moan.. even if we win
Many did. Remember the thread about the first home losses being "irrelevant"? Then there's the forever-rebuilding excuse thrown out.

United fans aren't as demanding as you think they are.

Inigo Montoya

Many did. Remember the thread about the first home losses being "irrelevant"? Then there's the forever-rebuilding excuse thrown out.

United fans aren't as demanding as you think they are.
And that’s my point again which I’m trying to underline, Leicester fans aren’t anywhere near as divided. I’m sure their message boards aren’t as full of toxic and divisive posts about Ole

Inigo Montoya

I get that people don't like Rodgers due to his Liverpool connection, but to not give credit for winning a cup and possibly getting CL football is completely deluded. Everyone here was bugging up ole over a lucky win the last 16 of the champions League a few years back against PSG. He's done a lot more at Leicester than ole has done here with less resources. Give the guy some credit.
Not meaning to play Devil’s Advocate but he’s had enormous resources. It was he who said last year when there was speculation over Maddison, that they didn’t need to sell,” we have billionaire owners.” He’s pretty much had the backing of their owners in a way that Ole really hasn’t but then again if you factor in the fee that is usually demanded because it’s ‘Utd’ he’d be just as handicapped here as Ole.

While I can give him huge respect, I doubt if he’d get us to where we expect to be. I’d like to see what he’d achieve at Chelsea or Spurs. I feel it’s his next step

Guy Incognito

He deserves credit for their run to the final at least.

I still think the Liverpool job came too early for him but he'd fare well at a team like Spurs. He had Suarez and at Leicester the system accommodates Vardy so he would get the best out of Kane.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's a very good manager, always have been, although there's a clear gap between him and truly elite managers that he's unlikely to overcome. I'd say that he is certainly a more proven manager than Ole, and probably a better one based on what we've seen in their careers so far — which doesn't mean that I'd take him at United though. I really dislike his personality (especially his weird obsession with preudo-science, neuro-linguistic programming etc.) & his Liverpool past is too big of a stain on his resume.

stu_1992

Nah sorry, some may call it narrow-minded but he could win the league with Leicester for all I care, I still wouldn't contemplate him at United. I don't want any former Liverpool manager at the helm. For me, he's forever associated with them. Plus he's another little egotistical wanker.

Doing well at Leicester though. :lol:

Interval

Level
I have been massively surprised by him and he has grown on me. Thought he was done and dusted after Liverpool and will meander along until he ends up at a Bolton or something. But he has shown himself to be capable of building teams and making them play good football and also getting players to play above their station.

Not every successful manager needs to end up at United. We can talk about them independent of that. Good for him. And hope he keeps killing it!1

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I hope they make it into top 4 . But I do not agree with it being bigger than tonight for Leicester. Do you think you will see scenes like you did post game if they finish top 4?
If I never hear the term, “Top Four”, again, I will be truly happy.

if my auntie had testicles she would be my uncle.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
And that’s my point again which I’m trying to underline, Leicester fans aren’t anywhere near as divided. I’m sure their message boards aren’t as full of toxic and divisive posts about Ole
Wasn't your point that Utd fans wouldn't accept tame results? I'm not following what you are underlining.

MU655

West Ham look to be falling over themselves in the last few games. In a context of a team that was battling relegation not long ago, sure they’re doing well relative to that. However, they could easily end up behind Spurs and Everton and finish 9th, which isn’t manager of the year material really. If Leicester hold on for a top 4 finish and with the FA cup, I’d say Rodgers should get it over Pep.

Pep will most likely still get it though.
Yeah, the drop off will rule Moyes out, but they have still improved on last season by 20 points so far which was far beyond my expectations.

I agree, Guardiola will get it, regardless, as trophies are the main thing taken into account
Not meaning to play Devil’s Advocate but he’s had enormous resources. It was he who said last year when there was speculation over Maddison, that they didn’t need to sell,” we have billionaire owners.” He’s pretty much had the backing of their owners in a way that Ole really hasn’t but then again if you factor in the fee that is usually demanded because it’s ‘Utd’ he’d be just as handicapped here as Ole.

While I can give him huge respect, I doubt if he’d get us to where we expect to be. I’d like to see what he’d achieve at Chelsea or Spurs. I feel it’s his next step
It's isn't really close, to be honest. Transfer fees since Solskjaer and Rodgers took over.

Manutd - £280m

Leicester - £145m

Net
Manutd - £180m (£100m sales)

Leicester - £15m (£130m sales)

And that isn't taking into account wages. I'm not really sure how Rodgers has been backed more.

Nah sorry, some may call it narrow-minded but he could win the league with Leicester for all I care, I still wouldn't contemplate him at United. I don't want any former Liverpool manager at the helm. For me, he's forever associated with them. Plus he's another little egotistical wanker.

Doing well at Leicester though. :lol:
I wouldn’t want anyone associated with Liverpool to manage the club. I couldn’t think of anything worse, apart from someone who was associated with both Liverpool and City. Can you just imagine if someone like that ever managed the club. The club would be dead to me.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Have to agree with this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Never really got the hate for him. Ok he managed Liverpool, did a cringey thing with an envelope and has a painting of himself in his house.

clearly a top coach though.

Jam

It’s said often enough but the bloke is literally David Brent.

He is a top coach though and I can’t take that away from him.

AgentSmith

Never really got the hate for him. Ok he managed Liverpool, did a cringey thing with an envelope and has a painting of himself in his house.

clearly a top coach though.
Sir Alex did the exact same tactic with the envelope as well and the picture was a gift from a charity he helped in Swansea.

I agree he’s a very good coach and I think Leicester themselves are a fantastic club from a neutral perspective. The transformation from nearly being relegated to consistent top 4 contenders in the space of 6 years (with a league title and FA Cup along the way) is nothing short of remarkable.

Litch

You've got to be impressed by Leicester. They have sold good players that have gone to Chelsea, Utd and City and yet the challenge for honours. Most thought it would only be the league yet they have now won the FA cup. Great recruiting of both managers and players....

stu_1992

I wouldn’t want anyone associated with Liverpool to manage the club. I couldn’t think of anything worse, apart from someone who was associated with both Liverpool and City. Can you just imagine if someone like that ever managed the club. The club would be dead to me.
I know, I know. Sir Matt Busby. That's obviously well before my time, but I dunno I guess football just feels more tribal now, I just can't imagine being able to warm to a former Liverpool manager, or player, who I've watched in my lifetime.

I know, I know. Sir Matt Busby. That's obviously well before my time, but I dunno I guess football just feels more tribal now, I just can't imagine being able to warm to a former Liverpool manager, or player, who I've watched in my lifetime.
:D

I think our rivalry is somewhat unusual. It’s been something like 65 years since a transfer directly between the two clubs. This is unusual.

In terms of Rogers - he still feels like an ‘up and coming’ manager - and his know that’s unfair given his time in the game and he’s had some success.

I wouldn’t be a total no from me, he’s not a Liverpool legend - someone like Gerrard would have to be a no from me.

he’s probably not the right profile for us. He’s not a new guy with fresh ideas and not a proven winner with lots of CL experience.

MoskvaRed

Rodgers is very good but he seems just short of the genuine elite bracket. I don‘t care that he managed Liverpool for a few years but we need to aim a wee bit higher, as Brendan might say. He could be a decent option for England if he‘s remotely interested.