Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

DeGea

Massively underrated as a manager.

Let’s not make the same mistake again and be emotive about our analysis re: Rodgers i.e. “Oh he is a bit of a plonker etc2” - these are individual preferences, some people like his personality some people do not. In the same way some people think certain successful CEOs are complete arseholes but it does not take away the fact that they are successful.

So, purely based on footballing issues, what do we think of him? I personally think he is underrated. Very consistent style under lots of different situations and seems to instil a fighting spirit in all his teams. I am not saying we should definitely get him, but he must be amongst those considered.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Tried 4 different formations this season trying to sort them out hasn't he? They're still what, 10th? Sounds like he doesn't even know what the problem is.

Bottled the season a few times hasn't he? Had top 4 within his reach.

He's not the guy.

I'm not against people wanting Ole out but surely not for Rodgers.
4 formations? Not at all we’ve been 433/4231 most of the season we often swap between that and 352 under him.

Evans was a huge miss the rest of the defence improve massively when he’s there, which means the rest of the side works much better

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He did a great job at Liverpool. They were absolutely sensational under him. Fantastic job at Celtic too and Leicester are a legitimate force now too. Unlike Zidane he has his own identifiable style that he’s brought with him to multiple clubs, consistently getting them to punch above their weight. Ridiculous the way he’s written off by so many on here. Clearly a level above Ole and fully deserves a shot at a club of United’s stature.

My one and only concern is that I think he’s a total plonker. Beggars can’t be choosers though and we’re definitely beggars right now.
He''s odd yeah but Klopp can be a twat and Pep often comes across as being really strange, so maybe it's just part of being a manager. I think he'd massively improve us and like you say he deserves a go at a club like United, if he wants to move on from Leicester at any poitnt.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting what people think of the Man. City link that popped up again in last few days.

People will probably dismiss that as just some mates linking him to it in the press but he's been linked before they got Pep and think he does have respect from their football people so he'd probably make the shortlist.

Obviously a step down from Pep but probably anyone Man. City could appoint would be.

redshaw

They probably suffered a bit of a lull after the FA Cup success, bit like our Yorke after 99. Today was perfect for them to get back in the groove, they've dicked us 3 times now. Leicester have been a very good side for a few seasons and we really needed a strong 3 man midfield to help combat theirs even before the fact that Maguire shouldn't have played. Could see it a mile off we'd potentially kickstart their season, we went in thinking they're not so good and turn up with a midfield two of Matic and Pogba, comedy really.

Will be interesting to see if they can pick up their season up from here, when a small club gets an FA Cup it can feel like the job is done and relax, it will need some adjusting to do again what they've done in the league in previous seasons which has been incredible, make no mistake they have a very capable team and manager, even if they don't really get back, teams and managers have a cycle and it might be time for Rodgers to start another chapter elsewhere.

I remember the words Rodgers said when he joined, people laughed but he's really done it.

sp_107

Post Fergie, we hired two washed up managers, Molde's manager and David Moyes. Our standard isn't exactly high to begin with.
true, We should have gone for Brendon after Jose, he miight not have won any trophies but defintely improved our style and tacticts

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The level of manager we should have:

versus

the level of manager we actually do:

An absolutely comical difference in understanding of the game and being tactically literate. Yet there are still Solskjaer cultists here who believe - without a hint of self-awareness - that they are the ones who are all-knowing and the rest of us plebs are just ‘plastics’ and ‘glory-hunters’.

These posters have almost ruined the Caf over the past few months with their gaslighting and wishing for posters to be banned for voicing genuine concerns. How about go stick your heads in the sand for another little while, eh, lads?

sugar_kane

The level of manager we should have:

versus

the level of manager we actually do:

An absolutely comical difference in understanding of the game and being tactically literate. Yet there are still Solskjaer cultists here who believe - without a hint of self-awareness - that they are the ones who are all-knowing and the rest of us plebs are just ‘plastics’ and ‘glory-hunters’.

These posters have almost ruined the Caf over the past few months with their gaslighting and wishing for posters to be banned for voicing genuine concerns. How about go stick your heads in the sand for another little while, eh, lads?
What Rodgers should be our manager because he used the word pressing, or referenced issues in our midfield? Any old cnut can do that as is proven hour after hour on this forum.

Literally no idea how this guy is being pushed for by our fans, he’s currently being outperformed by Moyes, Benitez and Nuno who are all in charge of similarly able squads. Even Wolves are above them and they had a shocking start to the season.

Dec9003

What Rodgers should be our manager because he used the word pressing, or referenced issues in our midfield? Any old cnut can do that as is proven hour after hour on this forum.

Literally no idea how this guy is being pushed for by our fans, he’s currently being outperformed by Moyes, Benitez and Nuno who are all in charge of similarly able squads. Even Wolves are above them and they had a shocking start to the season.
Would you prefer to have Ole over Rodgers?

Cloud7

Has Ole ever said anything that sounds like a plan or an approach or thinking through the opposition?

All he ever talks about is United DNA and running around more than the opposition.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The most over rated manager on the Caf.

Couldn't get Liverpool over the line when it mattered, only did well at Celtic because there was literally no challenge before Rangers came back up then ran away as soon as his expensively assembled team were shown up by a rookie manager in Gerrard, has had Leicester in the top 4 last two seasons only to fail yet again.

Granted he’s better than the Norwegian Lampard, but unless all we want is playing good football and having nothing to show for it, its a huge no from me.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Once again making an absolute mockery of the arrogant disdain some Solskjaer cultists hold Rodgers in. Leicester shredded us today and in truth they could, and probably should, have scored six or seven.

When will the Solskjaer apologists accept that he is levels below a manager like Rodgers (and Potter etc.) and finally consider him being a very good fit to manage us and take us to the next level whilst playing excellent football?
You are trying too hard here.

While Rodgers is a good manager, do you really believe a guy who has never won a knock out tie in Europe (and he had several seasons to do so in CL and EL) can really take us to the next level?

Yes he won the FA Cup which was a great achievement as he beat us and Chelsea.
But unlike us a couple of days before our FA Cup game he didn’t have a game in Europe on Thursday because his team failed to score a single goal over 180 minutes against the mighty Slavia Prague.

If we now truly believe that our team is great, then we should be aiming for a manager who can win us at least one of the two big trophies in the next couple of seasons instead of another nearly man.

padzilla

Hipster

While Rodgers is a good manager, do you really believe a guy who has never won a knock out tie in Europe (and he had several seasons to do so in CL and EL) can really take us to the next level?

Yes he won the FA Cup which was a great achievement as he beat us and Chelsea.
But unlike us a couple of days before our FA Cup game he didn’t have a game in Europe on Thursday because his team failed to score a single goal over 180 minutes against the mighty Slavia Prague.

If we now truly believe that our team is great, then we should be aiming for a manager who can win us at least one of the two big trophies in the next couple of seasons instead of another nearly man.
He is certainly light years ahead of our current manager, as are 99 per cent of managers in Europe's top leagues, but I can't help but feel he doesn't have what it takes to truly take us to the next level - ie challenging for titles every single season and winning them with regularity.
If we're going to replace Ole, which common sense would dictate we should and as soon possible, we need to make sure it's a character who has a track record of successful, exciting football who didn't peak years ago.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
4 formations? Not at all we’ve been 433/4231 most of the season we often swap between that and 352 under him.

Evans was a huge miss the rest of the defence improve massively when he’s there, which means the rest of the side works much better
Don't forget Nacho as well. Hopefully Brendan stops been stubborn over Nacho now.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Don't forget Nacho as well. Hopefully Brendan stops been stubborn over Nacho now.
yes he spoke of balance of the side recently when asked about Nacho starting more games, its simple you start with him and Vardy in the team and work from there to get your balance, arguable yesterday we were only Fofana and Ndidi away from our best possible team

Shark

@NotShark

With the squad he would have at his disposal I don't see why not. He almost won Liverpool a title with Suarez spearheading what was an average bunch. At United he would have Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood at his disposal. He wouldn't need to be the second coming of SAF to take us to the next level, our problem is that our current manager is beyond terrible and wouldn't even be fit to manage Leicester if Rodgers was to leave. Wouldn't even consider him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There's just such a lack of great, obvious managerial choices out there at the moment. Rodgers has to be on any list purely based on his achivements in the League.

To me it would be a bit like Moyes though - who remember was statistically the 'best' manager at getting points out of resources when we hired him. I'd imagine Brendo is that over the past few years.

The issue is whether he could translate that into 'star' players at a 'huge' club. He did well at Liverpool, so there's some evidence, but he also got fired.

I think he'd be an improvement on what we have, but not get us to where we want to be.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
1. available to me that excites me : ten Hag and Luis Enrique, Marco Rose(don't know much about him, just next german hype thing)

2. CV that makes them have be Successful but some weaknesses - Conte (defensive and short term), Zidane (not the most tactical)

3. Only a 5 % improvement on Ole and probably would not scare our opponents anyway - Brendan Rodgers.

4. Take a punt than on the next brendan Rodgers instead - potters.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Massively underrated as a manager.

Let’s not make the same mistake again and be emotive about our analysis re: Rodgers i.e. “Oh he is a bit of a plonker etc2” - these are individual preferences, some people like his personality some people do not. In the same way some people think certain successful CEOs are complete arseholes but it does not take away the fact that they are successful.

So, purely based on footballing issues, what do we think of him? I personally think he is underrated. Very consistent style under lots of different situations and seems to instil a fighting spirit in all his teams. I am not saying we should definitely get him, but he must be amongst those considered.
Nowt to do with personal preferences. A manager's personality IS a footballing issue at a big club with big name players. He has to manage these players.

Personally, I find vanity a big turn off. Confidence? Sure. Border on arrogance? Happens, but rationality keeps it under check. Problem with vanity is there's no filter for it, it's a fundamental flaw.

And yes, I've always hated that side of Cristiano, but his job was never managing people but playing well and scoring goals.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The most over rated manager on the Caf.

Couldn't get Liverpool over the line when it mattered, only did well at Celtic because there was literally no challenge before Rangers came back up then ran away as soon as his expensively assembled team were shown up by a rookie manager in Gerrard, has had Leicester in the top 4 last two seasons only to fail yet again.

Granted he’s better than the Norwegian Lampard, but unless all we want is playing good football and having nothing to show for it, its a huge no from me.
I actually think he’s historically been underrated on here. I had a few conversations last season about him vs Ole, and at this point in their careers I think he’s definitely more proven.

I don’t think the title race season is a negative against him tbh. He took over at Liverpool at the start of the 12’ season, where they’d just finished 8th in the league, within two seasons he got them to second and made up like 30 points. He deserves credit for that, where he deserves criticism for his Liverpool stint is for how he approached the third season, I don’t understand what his thought process was there and a lot of his decisions were baffling, even without the benefit of hindsight.

The Gerrard thing I don’t get, they had one season competing against each other, and when Rodgers left towards the end of the season he was like 10 points ahead and doing well in the domestic cups (Celtic got their third treble in three seasons at the end of the season). I don’t think there’s any credible evidence that he left because of Gerrard, he just got offered a good job.

He’s done a good job at Leicester, won the FA cup and decent league finishes. It’s true he missed out on top 4 but he’s competing with clubs with deeper squads and better resources, while dealing with tricky injury problems.

sugar_kane

Would you prefer to have Ole over Rodgers?
I’d prefer to keep Ole for now than change our manager to Rodgers, no guarantee it works out and if it doesn’t it just sets us back another two years at least as we’re not a sacking club.

No guarantees whatsoever we win anything under Rodgers, or Potter while we’re on it.

that doesn’t mean I think Ole is better than Rodgers, it just means if we’re going to hit the panic button and switch we need to do better than that.

Dec9003

I’d prefer to keep Ole for now than change our manager to Rodgers, no guarantee it works out and if it doesn’t it just sets us back another two years at least as we’re not a sacking club.

No guarantees whatsoever we win anything under Rodgers, or Potter while we’re on it.

that doesn’t mean I think Ole is better than Rodgers, it just means if we’re going to hit the panic button and switch we need to do better than that.
There are no guarantees with any managerial appointment sadly.

united_99

With the squad he would have at his disposal I don't see why not. He almost won Liverpool a title with Suarez spearheading what was an average bunch. At United he would have Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood at his disposal. He wouldn't need to be the second coming of SAF to take us to the next level, our problem is that our current manager is beyond terrible and wouldn't even be fit to manage Leicester if Rodgers was to leave. Wouldn't even consider him.
Fans always think other managers would come in and do brilliantly with their current squad. Rodgers could as well miss top 4 like Jose and LvG did.
It wasn‘t only Suarez. SAS was a thing after all, then Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling. And the league was relatively weak.
Also better squad doesn‘t always equal better results. Unless you think all the teams Rodgers has failed to beat in CL and EL over the years with Liverpool and Leicester have better squads than he has had.

Dec9003

Fans always think other managers would come in and do brilliantly with their current squad. Rodgers could as well miss top 4 like Jose and LvG did.
It wasn‘t only Suarez. SAS was a thing after all, then Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling. And the league was relatively weak.
Also better squad doesn‘t always equal better results. Unless you think all the teams Rodgers has failed to beat in CL and EL over the years with Liverpool and Leicester have better squads than he has had.
Didn’t Liverpool get knocked out the champions league because he made changes and they lost to Real Madrid? I’d say they are better. Rodgers is a very good manager and he’s underrated on here, probably because of his Liverpool connection. It’s easy to look at the times he’s lost whilst ignoring the fact that he’s had success at pretty much every club he’s managed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's just such a lack of great, obvious managerial choices out there at the moment. Rodgers has to be on any list purely based on his achivements in the League.

To me it would be a bit like Moyes though - who remember was statistically the 'best' manager at getting points out of resources when we hired him. I'd imagine Brendo is that over the past few years.

The issue is whether he could translate that into 'star' players at a 'huge' club. He did well at Liverpool, so there's some evidence, but he also got fired.

I think he'd be an improvement on what we have, but not get us to where we want to be.
Celtic also relevant here. It’s a poor league but managing one of the big two carries that expectation to win every game that not many managers will experience. And his record there was absolutely excellent.

united_99

Didn’t Liverpool get knocked out the champions league because he made changes and they lost to Real Madrid? I’d say they are better. Rodgers is a very good manager and he’s underrated on here, probably because of his Liverpool connection. It’s easy to look at the times he’s lost whilst ignoring the fact that he’s had success at pretty much every club he’s managed.
Don’t know what the point is here. I didn‘t say no team he has ever faced was better.
He lost to RM, but could have finished above Basel, but didn‘t.
His record in Europe mostly even against EL level teams is really not good.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Celtic also relevant here. It’s a poor league but managing one of the big two carries that expectation to win every game that not many managers will experience. And his record there was absolutely excellent.
That's true. The pressure in Scotland is huge, and as you say he did well.

I'd be happy if we replaced Ole with him tomorrow. But I'd be happy if they replaced Ole with just about anyone, sadly :/

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He's a good baseline level manager. Not as good as the very best, but those are anyway not available. Arsenal don't have much chance of getting him, but Utd are definitely a step up. Just hope Newcastle don't get him.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I actually think he’s historically been underrated on here. I had a few conversations last season about him vs Ole, and at this point in their careers I think he’s definitely more proven.

I don’t think the title race season is a negative against him tbh. He took over at Liverpool at the start of the 12’ season, where they’d just finished 8th in the league, within two seasons he got them to second and made up like 30 points. He deserves credit for that, where he deserves criticism for his Liverpool stint is for how he approached the third season, I don’t understand what his thought process was there and a lot of his decisions were baffling, even without the benefit of hindsight.

The Gerrard thing I don’t get, they had one season competing against each other, and when Rodgers left towards the end of the season he was like 10 points ahead and doing well in the domestic cups (Celtic got their third treble in three seasons at the end of the season). I don’t think there’s any credible evidence that he left because of Gerrard, he just got offered a good job.

He’s done a good job at Leicester, won the FA cup and decent league finishes. It’s true he missed out on top 4 but he’s competing with clubs with deeper squads and better resources, while dealing with tricky injury problems.
Great post.

His teams play good football, that much Ill give him but I still think we wont win much under him if he were to become the manager. Those failures to secure top 4 (twice) after having his team in the CL places longer than any other team in one of those seasons and still failing to get CL football says to me he cannot get over the line. He's also been pretty poor in Europe with both Leicester and Celtic.

He is a far better manager than Ole no doubt and maybe its the Liverpool connection that makes me biased against, but for me I hope we stay away.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Great post.

His teams play good football, that much Ill give him but I still think we wont win much under him if he were to become the manager. Those failures to secure top 4 (twice) after having his team in the CL places longer than any other team in one of those seasons and still failing to get CL football says to me he cannot get over the line. He's also been pretty poor in Europe with both Leicester and Celtic.

He is a far better manager than Ole no doubt and maybe its the Liverpool connection that makes me biased against, but for me I hope we stay away.
Yeah don't get me wrong I can fully understand why someone who supports Manchester United wouldn't want him, not just because of his Liverpool connection but also that it is one of the biggest jobs in world football. I think while Ole has put the club in a better place than when he took over, it's still a hard job due to the size and nature of the club.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He's actually a really good manager. It's obvious that it's his personality that does him a huge disservice. That Liverpool documentary he did a while back did him no favours at all. Hasn't really recovered from that in terms of how he's perceived.

ForeverRed1

Hes a good manager. Plays some lovely football, fantastic man management and in game management. I don’t think you ever hear of issues with him or his players? His sides are always very team based, not individuals creating moments (no dig at united btw)

would get us playing nice football and challenging. Would we win anything major with him, not so sure.. and that’s the problem. We need trophies.

padzilla

Hipster
I think Zidane's an obvious one for us given his success in managing huge egos that have traditionally underperformed under other coaches.

Camilo

I've always thought he was a top coach. He's actually got a brain and ideas on how to get players to play in a system. I hope he gets Leicester firing again this season, because I'm a nice guy like that.

He's the opposite to Moyes and Ole, who both have a hint of "play quickly, press, counter attack, attack, attack, attack" about them. I imagine most of the United squad are thinking "sure, sounds good, but how exactly?!“ Certainly looks that way.