Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

lloyd2wayne

I wonder where he will end up next. Maybe go abroad to Serie A. In the premier league no top club will go for him maybe Arsenal or Tottenham

mu4c_20le

They're next run of games is insane.

Newcastle
Spurs
Everton
Liverpool (efl)
Man City
Liverpool

Newcastle is must win.

RUCK4444

He is decent but with limitations. I feel with all due respect teams like Leicester are his level and even their fans would know their team is better than this. He will never survive here which is why when fans say he should manage us I don't understand. He will be under immense scrutiny from day one and any sort of bottling will not be tolerated and even the press will hound him.

Having said that I feel if he is sacked arsenal should hire him. He will do a much better job than arteta.
Yeah totally agree on all points including the Arsenal one. Think he would do a much better job there than Arteta. Like you say he has his limitations but I expect him to be doing better than what were seeing right now, he just can't get a tune out of Leicester this season.

I posted similar about him not being the right fit at all at United when he was more strongly linked with us a few weeks back, he has a ceiling on his ability that wont reach the heights we require and he would have a target on his back the moment he got here. Again though that's not to say he's a terrible manager, just not what we need.

He might be on his way out at Leicester at this rate.

RUCK4444

Newcastle
Spurs
Everton
Liverpool (efl)
Man City
Liverpool

Newcastle is must win.
Wow. Let's hope that they find some form immediately then! Would be great for us if they can get some results in those games.

I think people need to put things into perspective. If Leicester don’t win the league 5 or so seasons ago he’s a legend who in 2 years has taken them to two 5th place finishes and won them an FA Cup… fans are saying give him money and see what he can do.
After winning the league league Leicester have finished
9th
8th
12th
Season before winning the league 14th.

Since Rodgers joined 5th and 5th finishes
plus an FA cup medal. How is that not progress. Will a replacement take them into the CL or more likely take them back to 8-12th or possibly even back to battling relegation if they get an Ole level of manager.

Really need perspective Rodgers is making Leicester battle way above their weight.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Really need perspective Rodgers is making Leicester battle way above their weight.
I understand your point. But I reckon we're about the 8th highest spending on wages, so that should be about where we finish. Which means yes, we did over-achieve the previous two seasons, but not by a massive amount (and I suppose this season you could argue we're under achieving by a similar amount, being in 11th).

The more worrying thing though is that we seem to be regressing under Rodgers. In our first 5th place season, we played better football than the one that followed it (I think we were more hampered by injuries during the first 5th placed season). After his amazing start, the football seems to be getting worse season after season.

BorisManUtd

Should try and win Conference League now, would be 2nd trophy for Rodgers and Leicester in 3 seasons (3rd if you count CS). They're 8 points behind 4th place but no way Rodgers' position is in danger yet, could be after December with that tough set od fixtures coming up. On the other hand, unless there's major improvement in Leicester's form, I don't think United will be interested in hiring him like they maybe were few months ago. I don't think we're as interested in Pochettino as before either after seeing PSG's performances, although he's most probably higher on the list than Rodgers.

Leicester finished 5th twice in a row under Rodgers, won the FA Cup, won Community Shield and are in quarterfinals of this season's EFL Cup, though beating Liverpool at Anfield will be very tough. Seems like he's taken them as far as he can but should get some more time for sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Not sure he should be striking that dismissive tone when he's brought them into that competition really.

Sviken

I understand your point. But I reckon we're about the 8th highest spending on wages, so that should be about where we finish. Which means yes, we did over-achieve the previous two seasons, but not by a massive amount (and I suppose this season you could argue we're under achieving by a similar amount, being in 11th).

The more worrying thing though is that we seem to be regressing under Rodgers. In our first 5th place season, we played better football than the one that followed it (I think we were more hampered by injuries during the first 5th placed season). After his amazing start, the football seems to be getting worse season after season.
I'd argue you should wait until the end of the season to judge. You can go on a run. But who are you going to replace him with now if you're going to fire him? There's nobody around, not even remotely on Rodgers' level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Not sure he should be striking that dismissive tone when he's brought them into that competition really.
Poor form, he crashed out of the CL with Liverpool too.

I think its a lack of European experience though. This should serve him better and he should learn from it. For now hes just a good coach and not a very good one. I was previously an advocate for him but I agree hes at his level now. He has work to do re growth.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Poor form, he crashed out of the CL with Liverpool too.

I think its a lack of European experience though. This should serve him better and he should learn from it. For now hes just a good coach and not a very good one. I was previously an advocate for him but I agree hes at his level now. He has work to do re growth.
How many seasons has he now coached EL and CL teams? He has enough experience, he just isn't that good.

I'll accept that a manager might need one or two seasons to get used to the rhythm of mid week international games, but that's it.

acnumber9

He’ll quickly learn it’s their only hope of qualifying for Europe next year. Though with Rodgers as manager they will be knocked out of that competition soon enough too.

ti vu

I'd argue you should wait until the end of the season to judge. You can go on a run. But who are you going to replace him with now if you're going to fire him? There's nobody around, not even remotely on Rodgers' level.
This. Top 4 clearly out of Leceister reach. However, they're currently not in dangerous position, where they need to change manager mid season. Failing to progress in EL as top of the group may hurt, but dropping down to ELC is a blessing in disguise given that second placed in EL group would likely get Barcelona, Sevilla, Dortmund, Leipzig, Atalanta... as soon as the earliest KO round.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sounds like another long night of toast and reinventing the very sport of football as we know it is ahead of him.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
36% of a poll here wanted him in a few weeks ago.
That's terrifying. I suppose that tells you more about people's lack of knowledge of managers, especially outside the EPL, than it does about how people rate him. He was the betting favorite, but that clearly meant little, except perhaps that there was no obvious candidate.

Sviken

Seems to be getting worse, I wonder if his tactics are becoming outdated.
I don't think so. Brendan is a great attacking manager, but his defensive organization have always been woeful and very leaky of goals. When the attack doesn't click, the whole team collapses because he has nothing else to rely on. He almost won the league with Liverpool even though they shipped 50 goals. He's pretty much one note.

DeGea

Rodgers is a perfect example of being a decent enough manager, but to manage the really big clubs expected to challenge for the premier league title, you have to be special. That extra 5% that you need to win the league is not an easy quality to obtain. It is a mixture of different things - including a bit of luck, but more importantly I think is intelligence.

I do not think he is good enough for United at the moment. Ironically even though Rangnick has never managed in England, there is something about him that makes me think he will do a better job than Rodgers. Early days of course, but there is a "quality" about Rangnick that is palpable. He explains things in a way that even I as a non-professional footballer can understand and that is a very important skill.

kidbob

I don't want to sound ungrateful but Rodgers has got to go, to not qualify from that group is unforgiveable, I also think he has to take responsibility for the injuries, he ousted Dave Rennie (head physio) under whom our injury record was superb then suddenly everyone is going down with muscle injuries, nothing will change whilst Rodgers is here now, he's lost the players and is rapidly losing the fans. Pull the plug now
I view you guys as the de facto 5th team in the league because of your performance in the last few years. Now, as you have acknowledged, Rodgers is a part of that but my question is would you take Potter as the replacement or do you think you guys should command a more 'proven' manager?

For me Potter is honestly a gem waiting to be properly discovered and I wouldn't mind him at United, even before he manages a 'top' team.

I think he could be an amazing acquisition for you guys and should come relatively cheap too.

SAFMUTD

Newcastle
Spurs
Everton
Liverpool (efl)
Man City
Liverpool

Newcastle is must win.
Damn, I cant see him surviving that. They'll surely win against Newcastle but all the others seems really though for their current form.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Weird comment. Surely you must have an idea of what it is as the likes of Tottenham and Roma are in it, and secondly, don't act as if you've above it when you're now a participant.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I view you guys as the de facto 5th team in the league because of your performance in the last few years. Now, as you have acknowledged, Rodgers is a part of that but my question is would you take Potter as the replacement or do you think you guys should command a more 'proven' manager?

For me Potter is honestly a gem waiting to be properly discovered and I wouldn't mind him at United, even before he manages a 'top' team.

I think he could be an amazing acquisition for you guys and should come relatively cheap too.
I want Potter as his replacement

I can’t argue with a Leicester fan who watches them and will see the signs that i won’t by judging mostly on league position .

If he’s replaced what will be your expectations for the new manager in the short to long term?

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Rodgers is a good manager and is able to create very good attacking football.

But after some time, that formula tends to sniff out and he simply doesn't know how to play in European competitions. His only chance at CL in 14-15 season was horrendous and kind of reminds me to current Barsa crisis.

city-puma

Rodgers is a very, very good manager. There is no doubt about it. It’s just about what’s his ceiling. No one really knows.

Teja

Maybe you could do a swap. Fairly certain Potter was getting boo's from the Brighton home crowd recently.
That's surprising :eek:

I've always rated him, beyond their football being a bit slow what exactly is the problem? They're sitting in 9th and they play some good stuff against the big sides.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Having watched Leicester a bit this season for me Rodgers has not really progressed much since he emerged as a good but not quite top level manager at Liverpool. I remember at Liverpool how poor they were at defending set pieces and that remains a hallmark of his team. Some of the RAWKites at the time even said that they should get Tony Pulis in to do the defence coaching while keeping Rodgers on the attacking side. Not saying that he is a bad manager at all, he has done well but seems to have hit a ceiling.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
That's surprising :eek:

I've always rated him, beyond their football being a bit slow what exactly is the problem? They're sitting in 9th and they play some good stuff against the big sides.
They lack a real goal scorer they are the team that underperforms their xG the most where are we over perform it the most

Abraxas

He's took Leicester to 5th a couple of times and won a trophy.

Ludicrous for them to even think about questioning him whether they're doing poorly this season or not. He has more than enough credit in the bank to outlast this spell.

The chances are at some point that those kinds of results are going to hit a roadblock and the team may need freshening up. Pounding out CL challenges with Leicester isn't easy, they could finish mid table year on year and it wouldn't be a huge shock to me and that's probably what will happen if they sack Rodgers and appoint some random. For me Rodgers is in the upper echelon of managers Leicester could attract so why would you get rid of that man who has also been demonstrably successful?

Doing well at these types of clubs always seems to result in people getting giddy and becoming expectant beyond the context of the actual club. It's not always going to be relentless progression. They should stick this out for the season and assess the results and the reasons for them if they're poor.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I dont understand this excitement with Potter, i dont see him as an upgrade on Rodgers. Brighton are also on a poor run of form with him, i dont think hes won a game since September.
Its the grass is always greener mentality or fans just like brand new shiny toys. Its a gambler's mentality -- the next bet will be the ONE.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Its the grass is always greener mentality or fans just like brand new shiny toys. Its a gambler's mentality -- the next bet will be the ONE.
It’s pretty simple, Rodgers has run his course here and Potter is the best we could get to replace him

city-puma

just watched the match highlights. Bertrand was ridiculously poor. Napoli basically won through the flaw on that side. Leicester was unlucky not to score more, tbh.