Brentan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Neviller

Really has Swansea playing football the right way, and getting good results with it. They play football from the back, but only Arsenal today have scored more than once against them at The Liberty Stadium.

I like Rodgers, seems a clever guy when I've seen him interviewed, talks a lot of sense, and seems to have some good ideas on how the game should be played. Worth a watch for the future I think. Future top 4/5/6 manager maybe?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Let's wait and see

1. If they stay up
2. How they do in their 2nd season

Last year Owen Coyle was being tipped for the very top in management. You never know how it'll turn out. Things can turn very quickly.

For now though, Swansea are putting a rest to the "we can't buy great players so we have to be cynical to survive" myth.

The Neviller

Let's wait and see

1. If they stay up
2. How they do in their 2nd season

Last year Owen Coyle was being tipped for the very top in management. You never know how it'll turn out. Things can turn very quickly.

For now though, Swansea are putting a rest to the "we can't buy great players so we have to be cynical to survive" myth.
I was discussing more his philosophy, his way of playing football. All the teams he's managed have tried to play the game the right way. I like the style he makes his teams play.

Plan M

Fergie's replacement?
Good God. He's doing a decent job at Swansea but a win against Arsenal doesn't mean that Rodgers should replace Ferguson. Coyle was fantastic in the Premier League to begin with - would you have him at Man Utd now?

Skholesy

One to watch for the future, yes, probably. But we've seen it with so many managers that they can only sustain such good performances from their team over short periods. People were saying Holloway and Coyle were going to be good managers when their teams were doing well in previous seasons...fast forward a couple of years and the jury is still out on both.

The Neviller

I'm not suggesting that he's the heir to the Old Trafford throne, or that he's going to be the best manager ever ever, I'm just saying I like the way he sets his teams out, I like his footballing philosophy and I think he's a manager to watch in the future.

Plan M

Fair enough Neviller. He's a good manager and gets respect from his players. But I'll never judge a Premier League boss in his first season.

Look at Roberto Martinez - he started the ball rolling with how Swansea play today, he changed the whole ethos at the club. Paulo Sausa tried to continue in the same mould but failed, Rodgers has picked up from where Roberto left the team very well and brought in some quality players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Blackpool were hyped up to the sky last season when they had 30 points in January and got relegated at the end of season, Hull were amazing until January in 2007 and only stayed up because Newcastle were pure shit. Burnley had a good start and went down. Let's wait until the end of season at least.

Diablodave

Rodgers earned his Spurs at Chelsea and is a close personal friend of Mourinho. Their football and self belief is fantastic to watch

Guy Incognito

The true test for this Swansea side will be how they deal with injuries and Rodgers' rotating his squad. They are a joy to watch though.

The Neviller

Fair enough Neviller. He's a good manager and gets respect from his players. But I'll never judge a Premier League boss in his first season.
I'm not judging him in his first season either though, I specifically said one to watch in the future, or one to keep an eye on. That's the opposite of judging him too early, it's keeping a watching brief with the purpose of judging later.

The Neviller

Blackpool were hyped up to the sky last season when they had 30 points in January and got relegated at the end of season, Hull were amazing until January in 2007 and only stayed up because Newcastle were pure shit. Burnley had a good start and went down. Let's wait until the end of season at least.

For what? To say you like how a particular manager sets his team up, the football he has them play, and his footballing philosophy? I like his style now, I like how they play now, how the season ends up for them doesn't change that, I like that he gets his team to play no matter what.

Like I've said, I'm simply saying I like how Rodgers gets Swansea to play and I think he's a manager worth keeping an eye on. Why are people rushing in to say "wait til the end of the season"? For what? I'm not kneejerking and saying he's Fergie's replacement, I'm just saying I like him and he's worth keeping an eye on.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Will be interesting to see where he goes from here. Very impressive so far, but didnt he have a bad time with Reading?

Roberto Martínez deserves some credit too for part of this Swansea side.

But I do think Rogers will become a top manager. He will be linked to jobs like Everton and Villa in the future and from there we shall see

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How the hell does he get Swansea to play that kind of football. It's a huge achievement in itself.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Made a great start and seems to have more about him tactically than the likes of Holloway, Coyle and Brown ever did.

Time will tell though. Next season will be the big test.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He told me he didn't like you much either Biscuit.

Cold_Boy

:lol:

Was a inevitable thread after the win.

Lets please wait couple of more seasons before even suggesting Fergie's replacement.

The Neviller

:lol:

Was a inevitable thread after the win.

Lets please wait couple of more seasons before even suggesting Fergie's replacement.
An inevitable thread after how well they've done to date in the Premier League maybe, no?

And where was he suggested as a Fergie replacement? Brosstans most likely tongue in cheek comment?

What's funny?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
The thing about Rogers though, when people bring up the next best thing argument, is he has his players playing the right way and in a style thats not too different to how we normally play! If he progresses in the next few years then theres no reason to say he couldnt at least be considered for the United job. The exact same thing can be said about Lambert too!

Cold_Boy

An inevitable thread after how well they've done to date in the Premier League maybe, no?

And where was he suggested as a Fergie replacement? Brosstans most likely tongue in cheek comment?

What's funny?
Whats funny was right after a couple of minutes after the game ended, I refreshed the main page expecting this thread.

Jiggs'Hamstring

Have to bear in mind that, while he is doing a great job at the Swans, he is continuing a legacy built by Martinez and Sousa. That said, from his first interview I knew that this bloke talked a shitload of sense

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
yeh, hes doing a fine job.

But agree with the poster who gave Martinez credit. He formed the foundation.

ricky-romeo

swansea are playing lovely football at the moment, which is always good to see.
but it is still early days for both the team and the manager..but they are doing pretty well so far..

Neutral

BTV
I read somewhere that, while Rodgers obviously deserves credit for the way Swansea are playing, their style is actually something mandated by the owners/board. It started with the appointment of Roberto Martinez, and Rodgers has carried on that work.

LLMU

I am just impressed that players like Nathan Dyers , Joe Allen are all adapting well to the Premier League. These guys are small but seem to be riding tackles easily.

Varun

Staff
They play some wonderful football. quite an achievement. Credit to rodgers.

Cold_Boy

So it's just a knee jerk thread, in your eyes?
Well yea a bit but nothing wrong with it.

I am not laughing at you or anyone just found it funny how automatically I refreshed to expect this thread as if i had a vision before.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
yeh, hes doing a fine job.

But agree with the poster who gave Martinez credit. He formed the foundation.
Martinez? Why do wigan play such ordinary football then? Wigan try and pass it but I've never been wowed by their style of play or level of overall play. Swansea seem to get the basics of the game (the hardest part) right every time I watch them, whether they win or not. I'm quite astonished by the football they play. It actually seems hard to believe that Swansea can pass the ball around like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.