Brentan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The idea of the question wasn't stupid, the way she worded it was though I agree. Although he was a bit blunt and odd about it. Like others have said, a better prepared answer would have been more effective.
Like I say it's because of who he is - if it had been any other manager no fuss would have been made of it.

Dr Baltar

Any stick to beat Rodgers with. Him nearly winning the league two years ago has gotten right under Utd fans' skins, they just don't realise (or don't want to admit) how much. Personally I'd be more worried about Rodgers if Utd fans actually liked him (like they did Woy).
Brendan Rodgers Honours:
Nearly won the league once.

Minimalist

Any stick to beat Rodgers with. Him nearly winning the league two years ago has gotten right under Utd fans' skins, they just don't realise (or don't want to admit) how much. Personally I'd be more worried about Rodgers if Utd fans actually liked him (like they did Woy).
:houllier: Aye that's it.

I still say Rodgers is a decent/good coach. I just find his man management and communication to the media baffling and downright cringeworthy at times.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
#KRAP should give you an idea...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

Mali_Zeus

Only now I've revealed this gem. :lol:

mark_a

:lol: If you say so mate.
I find Rodgers gets under my skin due to his arrogance, which hasn't been earned. Ferguson, Mourinho etc. are allowed to act like they're special, due to the evidence in trophy cabinets.

Maybe that's the thing with Rodgers, that he's liked because he's got that arrogant swagger and embattled outlook that'll chime with the hardcore red side of Liverpool?

That comment you quoted is great. For me, I was MORE worried when Rodgers had his important meeting with the Liverpool owners last season, I was worried he'd get the push. I don't love the man but I'd love him to stay at Liverpool. I want him to do badly, but well enough to stay.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I find Rodgers gets under my skin due to his arrogance, which hasn't been earned. Ferguson, Mourinho etc. are allowed to act like they're special, due to the evidence in trophy cabinets.
So are you saying Rodgers cannot be a bit abrupt with the media/journalists - but Ferguson and Mourinho can?

For me, I was MORE worried when Rodgers had his important meeting with the Liverpool owners last season, I was worried he'd get the push. I don't love the man but I'd love him to stay at Liverpool. I want him to do badly, but well enough to stay.
What?

Last edited:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So are you saying Rodgers cannot be a bit abrupt with the media/journalists - but Ferguson and Mourinho can?
I think you will find that is exactly what he is saying. Word for word in fact.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Pool fans here are finding it hard to fathom that a lot of United fans don't rate Rodgers that much. Which is entirely unfair when you consider his great achievements - almost winning the league that one time and having a full set of teeth even though he lives in Liverpool.

Minimalist

By the same token, are you saying Ferguson/Mourinho have never been described as arseholes when being pissy with the media?

Mali_Zeus

The Pool fans here are finding it hard to fathom that a lot of United fans don't rate Rodgers that much. Which is entirely unfair when you consider his great achievements - almost winning the league that one time and having a full set of teeth even though he lives in Liverpool.
Yeah but he's got under our skin cause he nearly won the league. :lol:

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
@Dumbstar If you think that United fans reason for disliking Rodgers is that he almost had a good season once, then I'm sure you'll admit then that the only reason you scousers hate SAF is because he won everything for 25 years and not because of all the bollocks reasons you lot come out with?

Think carefully....wouldn't want you to come across as having double standards.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
@Dumbstar If you think that United fans reason for disliking Rodgers is that he almost had a good season once, then I'm sure you'll admit then that the only reason you scousers hate SAF is because he won everything for 25 years and not because of all the bollocks reasons you lot come out with?

Think carefully....wouldn't want you to come across as having double standards.
Absolutely, when has that ever been in doubt?

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
Absolutely, when has that ever been in doubt?
Well his actual talent as a manager is almost never mentioned when Liverpool fans are slagging him off. Usually he's just a corrupt, red-nosed, bacon-face dictator, who got lucky with the zillions he had to spend on bribing referees. The hate he's received from scousers even I, as a United fan, have almost been convinced he was otherwise useless, such is their conviction when slagging him off.

mark_a

What?
#1. I just mean that I think Brendan comes over as a bit arrogant & up himself, but he's not got anything much to be arrogant about. (add the word "yet" in there if it makes you feel better.)
Not really being abrupt with the media, just things like his comments about Southampton when Liverpool signed the lovable losers Lallana, Lambert & Lovren, that sort of thing. A comment that came back to bite him on the arse. Get a couple of cups behind him & he can start dishing it out.

#2. What I mean is that, in my opinion, Rodgers is a) a clown and b) not the right man for the job at Liverpool therefore I want him to stay.

My comment was in response the the idea that he got "under our skin" because he "nearly won the league". Which is totally laughable. Different deal if he'd won the league, maybe. But then I refer you to point #2. Another manager would have maybe won it with a Suarez team. But what ifs mean nothing, of course.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Well his actual talent as a manager is almost never mentioned when Liverpool fans are slagging him off. Usually he's just a corrupt, red-nosed, bacon-face dictator, who got lucky with the zillions he had to spend on bribing referees. The hate he's received from scousers even I, as a United fan, have almost been convinced he was otherwise useless, such is their conviction when slagging him off.
Then our job was done and done well. :)

prath92

Rodgers gets on my nerves because being a nobody he acts like a high and mighty manager. His quotes reek of arrogance that he neither deserves nor should show. From 'United will find it difficult to buy players without champions league' , 'van gaal would find the PL difficult' and 'If you spend £100m you should be winning the title' to 'Southampton have a choice to not sell us their players.' Also the gems like 'I am still the best man for this job' at the end of last season.

Mali_Zeus

Rodgers gets on my nerves because being a nobody he acts like a high and mighty manager. His quotes reek of arrogance that he neither deserves nor should show. From 'United will find it difficult to buy players without champions league' , 'van gaal would find the PL difficult' and 'If you spend £100m you should be winning the title' to 'Southampton have a choice to not sell us their players.' Also the gems like 'I am still the best man for this job' at the end of last season.
Not to mention this gem: “It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us. They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful."

Swansea lost to Sunderland 2:0 that day btw.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's quite possible to laugh at Brentan without actually considering him a terrible manager. He comes across as pretty thick, has false teeth, looks like the Liverpool mascot and is frequently featured in silly photos. He's not exactly piss-take resistant to any great degree.

But all of the above has very little to do with his managerial ability - which most people realize, I should think.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
I want him to do badly, but well enough to stay.
Scraping into the last Europa League spot would be perfect,to be beaten in the final. Then the fixture congestion next season drops them the place below qualifying for it, so the circus can start all over again.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
#1. I just mean that I think Brendan comes over as a bit arrogant & up himself, but he's not got anything much to be arrogant about. (add the word "yet" in there if it makes you feel better.)
Not really being abrupt with the media, just things like his comments about Southampton when Liverpool signed the lovable losers Lallana, Lambert & Lovren, that sort of thing. A comment that came back to bite him on the arse. Get a couple of cups behind him & he can start dishing it out.

#2. What I mean is that, in my opinion, Rodgers is a) a clown and b) not the right man for the job at Liverpool therefore I want him to stay.

My comment was in response the the idea that he got "under our skin" because he "nearly won the league". Which is totally laughable. Different deal if he'd won the league, maybe. But then I refer you to point #2. Another manager would have maybe won it with a Suarez team. But what ifs mean nothing, of course.
I completely understand why people don't rate him. He hasn't won anything with Liverpool yet, whilst other managers mentioned in the thread have won a lot.
Clearly he will be a manager under pressure soon if things don't improve.

I just think the (admittedly abrupt), comment to the reporter is being blown out of proportion. It's not exactly the first time a manager has been a bit so, in addition the suggestion that other (admittedly) more successful managers (your special comment), can act differently (if that's what you are suggesting), is something I don't get.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I completely understand why people don't rate him. He hasn't won anything with Liverpool yet, whilst other managers mentioned in the thread have won a lot.

I just think the (admittedly abrupt), comment to the reporter is being blown out of proportion. It's not exactly the first time a manager has been a bit so, in addition the suggestion that other (admittedly) more successful managers (your special comment), can act differently (if that's what you are suggesting), is something I don't get.
Taken in isolation, I'd agree. But Rodgers has a history of being arrogant which is why it has sparked a few comments on here I'd say.

clarkydaz

i don't think its the abruptness, more a bit stupid seeing as it was already widely publicly reported the release clause was met. So we all knew anyway, which is why the reporter laughed it off first. if it were early stage rumours then that's different

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
i don't think its the abruptness, more a bit stupid seeing as it was already widely publicly reported the release clause was met. So we all knew anyway, which is why the reporter laughed it off first. if it were early stage rumours then that's different
He has been told not to discuss any transfer dealings at all, by the owners. Even if the deal is nearly done, as it stands (stood), he is (was) still effectively an Aston Villa player. He could have failed his medical after all.

He did answer the reporter, yes a bit abrupt, but then she just asked the same question again.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He has been told not to discuss any transfer dealings at all, by the owners. Even if the deal is nearly done, as it stands (stood), he is (was) still effectively an Aston Villa player. He could have failed his medical after all.

He did answer the reporter, yes a bit abrupt, but then she just asked the same question again.
She asked the same question again precisely because his initial response was so abrupt. She probably couldn't tell if he was just teasing her or if he was actually a cnut. Repeating the question allowed her to confirm her initial suspicion that it was the latter.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You don't discuss transfers FULL STOP. You discuss signings. Benteke hasn't signed.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
As big a twat as Rodgers is, I prefer his blunt approach over our current "Secret striker, oh just you wait and see" fecking nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.