Kick-off
Sat, 13 August 2022 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

our last 6 away games in the prem...LLLLLL (0-1, 0-4, 1-3, 0-4. 0-1, 1-4). GF2 GA17.

no doubt people will be loosing their minds even if we only manage a point today.
    Records mean nothing to me now. We'd never lost a game to Brighton at Old Trafford prior to last week. :(

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    He’s not gonna drop Maguire he was one of our better players. Guaranteed starter.
    Maybe, but him and Martinez had a stinker. Not the best partnership. Would rather see Martinez - Varane pairing.

OpenIntrovert

our last 6 away games in the prem...LLLLLL (0-1, 0-4, 1-3, 0-4. 0-1, 1-4). GF2 GA17.

no doubt people will be loosing their minds even if we only manage a point today.
    The ones that like to whinge, will whinge even if we have a 3-0 win today. They will purposely focus on negative parts of the game and say that we are bound to be found out against Liverpool and that Brentford did not press us as well as Brighton etc. Unfortunately we have too many of them here.

OpenIntrovert

Maybe, but him and Martinez had a stinker. Not the best partnership. Would rather see Martinez - Varane pairing.
    They did not have a stinker. No defence, even with the best defenders in the world, can withstand a attack if the midfield is completely overwhelmed. That is what happened with the 2 goals. Basically the defence did not have enough time to reoganize to stop the attack.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    They didn’t have a stinker though. They weren’t the problem against Brighton

Smores

The ones that like to whinge, will whinge even if we have a 3-0 win today. They will purposely focus on negative parts of the game and say that we are bound to be found out against Liverpool and that Brentford did not press us as well as Brighton etc. Unfortunately we have too many of them here.
    As opposed to making up a hypothetical scenario that hasn't happened just to moan about it :lol:

soapythecat

Can’t remember the last time we won away in the league. I know it’s new manager and all that but largely the same players.
    If we draw today it’s an improvement and I think that’s what the outcome will be 1-1.
    If we actually look like we are trying to play differently from last season, then I’ll count that as progress. If we play like we did last week then it’s going to start getting very ugly for poor ETH.

Dempsey19

Can’t remember the last time we won away in the league. I know it’s new manager and all that but largely the same players.
    If we draw today it’s an improvement and I think that’s what the outcome will be 1-1.
    If we actually look like we are trying to play differently from last season, then I’ll count that as progress. If we play like we did last week then it’s going to start getting very ugly for poor ETH.
    I think our last win away was against Leeds back in February. The one where we were crushing 2 up at half time and Leeds then scored 2 goals in 1 minute.

siw2007

My line-up is;

DDG

Dalot
    Maguire
    Martinez
    Shaw

McTominay
    Eriksen
    Fernandes

Sancho
    Ronaldo
    Rashford

McTominay was rubbish last week but his extra height might be useful to help Martinez out against Toney. Going to go with a repeat of last year, a 3-1 win.

rpitchfo

Im hoping we have learned enough to show some respect to the opposition. We are a really poor team right now and need to play cautiously.

so many fans predicting wins last week when the evidence pointed to the opposite. This will be a tough bloody game. They ALL are tough games for us. Show the opposition some respect. Solid at the back, solid in midfield. No mistakes. Try to nick something.

do not start mcfred.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Surely McTominay gets dropped.
    One of McFred will get dropped, it's just a matter of which one.

I'd go with:

DDG

Malacia Maguire Martinez Shaw

Eriksen Fred

Bruno

Sancho Ronaldo Rashford
    Malacia because he can't be any worse than Dalot, despite his preference for playing at LB.

I'd opt for Fred over Mctominay as he is the more accomplished DM positionally, and the latter would be more impactful from the bench if/when defending a lead. It's purely a matter of preference though, as there isn't much between them.

Oh and we'll win this one today.

Ted Lasso

One of McFred will get dropped, it's just a matter of which one.

I'd go with:

DDG

Malacia Maguire Martinez Shaw

Eriksen Fred

Bruno

Sancho Ronaldo Rashford
    Malacia because he can't be any worse than Dalot, despite his preference for playing at LB.

I'd opt for Fred over Mctominay as he is the more accomplished DM positionally, and the latter would be more impactful from the bench if/when defending a lead. It's purely a matter of preference though, as there isn't much between them.

Oh and we'll win this one today.
    Forgot about Malacia. Agree, would definitely be worth giving him a shot at RB. But I think we'll play it w Dalot at least the next few games just to not cause too much shakeup.

Castia

Feeling nervous.

We need such an upswing from last weekend I think we're going to struggle.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
    Looking forward to my phone being red hot after the game as my mates send me message after message taking the piss .

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

fecking hell that is shocking!!

Telsim

A draw would do little to cool the atmosphere, but at least it won't be a loss. I can see it becoming unpleasant ahead of the Liverpool game if we lose this.

It will come to who scores first.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    36 degrees... this will have a massive hand to play in the game and both managers should be looking to manipulate the opposing side via fatiguing them in such heat.

If we were good enough, you want to invite Brentford to press and be rabid and burn themselves out inside 20-25 minutes of chasing in conditions that are ill-suited to exerting so much collective energy concertedly and prematurely. If we can do that and have them run, there'll be done inside 60 minutes, if not 45 and reliant on a bench that I assume is considerably inferior to their starters.

On our end, it's better to have ball users and press resistant players than runners starting this game - unless the plan is to tactically switch out said runners and then try and play an expansive game with ball users - not only have Brentford press, actively invite and then exploit it latterly.

I have no faith in Bruno using the ball correctly, and unless he's played in attack, I hope he doesn't start this game where composure and exasperating Brentford's physical and athletic resources will do wonders. McTominay should not be getting a game - such poor performance should have consequences and a period of forced reflection - and our options at the base of midfield should be explored. I've seen Fred in a number of lineups at the base?? That's a really bad idea given he is the most prone and likely to ball hunt of all our midfielders and he does all his best work pressing and harassing the opposition as far away from his box as possible. I guess Garner will have his moment of truth as, if he can't get into the side now, at our lowest ebb, he's simply not going to to get PT.

Regarding the weather, it should benefit us over Brentford for supposedly having better players but definitely for having more options off the bench. We really should be putting them to the sword in the second half irrespective of what's gone on in the first. Eriksen, Martinez and even Maguire can make the field enormous by spraying the ball wide and making Brentford work backwards. Given we've taken their ball-user from them, we shouldn't be facing this issue in reverse.

Ball retention, expansive passing and patience... if we can exhibit those facets it should be a comfortable game once the bluster of the first half dies down. Comes to a surreal point when you have no idea whether we have the stones to get through the opening period intact.

Wilt

Jeez, didn't realise it was that bad

Shark

@NotShark

I see folk constantly compare us to Liverpool when they were crap but as far as my memory serves it never got this bad. They would always be up for big games and gave their all in the CL. Our lot are not up for anything no matter how much is on the line No matter how much further embarrassment incoming. We really needed an almost full clear out this summer to have a chance.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
    36 degrees... this will have a massive hand to play in the game and both managers should be looking to manipulate the opposing side via fatiguing them in such heat.

If we were good enough, you want to invite Brentford to press and be rabid and burn themselves out inside 20-25 minutes of chasing in conditions that are ill-suited to exerting so much collective energy concertedly and prematurely. If we can do that and have them run, there'll be done inside 60 minutes, if not 45 and reliant on a bench that I assume is considerably inferior to their starters.

On our end, it's better to have ball users and press resistant players than runners starting this game - unless the plan is to tactically switch out said runners and then try and play an expansive game with ball users - not only have Brentford press, actively invite and then exploit it latterly.

I have no faith in Bruno using the ball correctly, and unless he's played in attack, I hope he doesn't start this game where composure and exasperating Brentford's physical and athletic resources will do wonders. McTominay should not be getting a game - such poor performance should have consequences and a period of forced reflection - and our options at the base of midfield should be explored. I've seen Fred in a number of lineups at the base?? That's a really bad idea given he is the most prone and likely to ball hunt of all our midfielders and he does all his best work pressing and harassing the opposition as far away from his box as possible. I guess Garner will have his moment of truth as, if he can't get into the side now, at our lowest ebb, he's simply not going to to get PT.

Regarding the weather, it should benefit us over Brentford for supposedly having better players but definitely for having more options off the bench. We really should be putting them to the sword in the second half irrespective of what's gone on in the first. Eriksen, Martinez and even Maguire can make the field enormous by spraying the ball wide and making Brentford work backwards. Given we've taken their ball-user from them, we shouldn't be facing this issue in reverse.

Ball retention, expansive passing and patience... if we can exhibit those facets it should be a comfortable game once the bluster of the first half dies down. Comes to a surreal point when you have no idea whether we have the stones to get through the opening period intact.
    Yep yep.

Walters_19_MuFc

Should really be giving Garner a chance instead of Mctominay today.
    If anything, it should be Iqbal who impressed a lot during pre season and is more suited to playing the 8 role in comparison to Garner.

That being said, I can't imagine it'll be either of them. If we are to replace McTominay, I can only imagine it'll be with one of Eriksen or Van de Beek.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
    de Gea - Shudder

Dalot - Shudder
    Maguire
    Martinez
    Shaw

Garner
    Fred - Sub for DvB after 60' if winning.
    Eriksen

Diallo - Has been having godd performances/output in the behind closed doors friendlies, time to start seeing what we have here.
    Rashford - Sub for Ronaldo after 60'
    Sancho

Last edited:

PoTMS

How has it come to this where we are getting regularly outplayed and beat by Brighton and shitting the prospect of playing Brentford? Feck me.

pseudo_canadian

Bar is even lower than last week. I have zero confidence in this group of players to get their act together and stop being pussies.

tomaldinho1

How has it come to this where we are getting regularly outplayed and beat by Brighton and shitting the prospect of playing Brentford? Feck me.
    Brighton generally outplay us in fairness. Even in wins, like with the stoppage time VAR peno, they absolutely battered us. Brentford we just need to match physically, their whole game is about aggression and direct football - we just need to keep the ball and use the weather to fatigue them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    Brighton generally outplay us in fairness. Even in wins, like with the stoppage time VAR peno, they absolutely battered us. Brentford we just need to match physically, their whole game is about aggression and direct football - we just need to keep the ball and use the weather to fatigue them.
    If theres one thing this team doesn't do it's match teams physically, especially away from home.

Red For Ever

It says everything about United when the fan base are not confident going into a match with Brentford.
    How times have changed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

2.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 434 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win