Brentford

Fussball13251

Brentford will not finish midtable. Now that reality has sunk in we can se that Arsenal were just that bad.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think they’ll do a Hull circa 08-09, have a great start leading to people branding them Europe contenders, get found out around Christmas & end up in a relegation battle, but surviving.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I echo thoughts that it's great to see Brentford in the Premier League. I get bored of yo-yo clubs like West Brom and Fulham, who let's face it don't really add much to the Premier League when they're there.

During their 7 seasons in the Championship, they usually finished among the highest goalscorers, were consistently one of the most entertaining teams to watch, and typically had either the youngest or second youngest squad in the division. That was despite having one of the smallest budgets and wage bills. They've made a a lot of smart and successful signings of talented young players, sold them for big bucks, and repeated that cycle.

There was the bizarre episode where Mark Warburton got them promoted from League One in 2014 and was doing well in their first season back in the Championship, didn't have his contract extended, but still got them into the playoffs despite knowing several months in advance that he was going at the end of the season. I think Benham and him had a disagreement over the increased use of statistics for player recruitment. But of course overall Matthew Benham has done an absolutely tremendous job as owner.

Their rise and success under Benham has been quite similar to that of Brighton under Tony Bloom, with both of them incredibly successful gamblers and using a vast array of data and algorithms.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I echo thoughts that it's great to see Brentford in the Premier League. I get bored of yo-yo clubs like West Brom and Fulham, who let's face it don't really add much to the Premier League when they're there.

During their 7 seasons in the Championship, they usually finished among the highest goalscorers, were consistently one of the most entertaining teams to watch, and typically had either the youngest or second youngest squad in the division. That was despite having one of the smallest budgets and wage bills. They've made a a lot of smart and successful signings of talented young players, sold them for big bucks, and repeated that cycle.

There was the bizarre episode where Mark Warburton got them promoted from League One in 2014 and was doing well in their first season back in the Championship, didn't have his contract extended, but still got them into the playoffs despite knowing several months in advance that he was going at the end of the season. I think Benham and him had a disagreement over the increased use of statistics for player recruitment. But of course overall Matthew Benham has done an absolutely tremendous job as owner.

Their rise and success under Benham has been quite similar to that of Brighton under Tony Bloom, with both of them incredibly successful gamblers and using a vast array of data and algorithms.
Think I read somewhere that the owners of Brighton and Brentford used to work together and had a falling out, but could completely be making this up

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think I read somewhere that the owners of Brighton and Brentford used to work together and had a falling out, but could completely be making this up
They're both pro gamblers.

I tried that out about 4-5 years ago and massively failed so have grudging respect for anyone who's made serious money out of that approach.

spiriticon

They are quite impressive, but I feel they will go back down within 2 or 3 seasons.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Tells you more about xG than about how good they are seeing as they've won less than half their matches.

Which begs the question, does xG take into account whether it's Lewandowski or Cyriel Dessers going 1 on 1 with a keeper? Edit: so I guess it doesn't, which tells us Brentford should replace their striker.

Winrar

They are quite impressive, but I feel they will go back down within 2 or 3 seasons.
Seems like every season or two there is a newly promoted team that "overperforms" and finishes mid-table then gets swiftly relegated the following season.

Happened to Huddersfield couple seasons back and Sheffield last season. Norwich did it too, but now they're sadly just a pure yo-yo club.

Not sure if it will happen to Leeds, but they are at bottom 3 right now with no wins. I think they'll stay up though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seems like every season or two there is a championship team that "overperforms" and finishes mid-table then gets swiftly relegated the following season.

Happened to Huddersfield couple seasons back and Sheffield last season.

Not sure if it will happen to Leeds, but they are at bottom 3 right now with no wins. I think they'll stay up though.
I remember Blackpool starting fantastically a few years back then losing pretty much 28 games in a row and disappearing forever. Where are they now anyway.

Winrar

I remember Blackpool starting fantastically a few years back then losing pretty much 28 games in a row and disappearing forever. Where are they now anyway.
Blackpool is kind of an odd case. The season they were up in PL they actually gave a good account of themselves, played exciting attacking football and finished with 39 points, which would've been enough to survive for most seasons but unfortunately that time it wasn't - which was doubly unfortunate because I thought they "deserved" more points than that as well. Our final game that season against them was an absolute cracker as well.

But once they got relegated (will not go into details with their ownership complications because I don't know enough about it) they fell hard to the 4th division and finally couple years ago they got a new owner, and this season they were just promoted back to the Championship.

Edit: Actually now that I've gone into detail with Blackpool, I'm seeing some similarities with Brentford as well. First foray into top division in over 70 years and was competing in 4th division little more than a decade ago - they've come a long way and are playing some great attacking football right now to boot.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Blackpool is kind of an odd case. The season they were up in PL they actually gave a good account of themselves, played exciting attacking football and finished with 39 points, which would've been enough to survive for most seasons but unfortunately that time it wasn't - which was doubly unfortunate because I thought they "deserved" more points than that as well. Our final game that season against them was an absolute cracker as well.

But once they got relegated (will not go into details with their ownership complications because I don't know enough about it) they fell hard to the 4th division and finally couple years ago they got a new owner, and this season they were just promoted back to the Championship.
Ah I see, thanks for that.

vanrooney

I guess I don’t fully understand xG but we had more shots than Brentford did today.

Did they have better chances in terms of opportunity to score?
its very subjective. chances are measured and i very often concure.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Makes me feel slightly better about our result to them opening day of the season. They are tough to play against, a good combination of being quite physical but can play a bit as well. The might drop a bit further into the season but just now they are riding on a crest of a wave.

Classical Mechanic

Tells you more about xG than about how good they are seeing as they've won less than half their matches.

Which begs the question, does xG take into account whether it's Lewandowski or Cyriel Dessers going 1 on 1 with a keeper? Edit: so I guess it doesn't, which tells us Brentford should replace their striker.
It doesn’t account for who is taking on the shot, it just measures against the average. What it suggests is that Brentford are a well coached team but that their players are not top level. The same was true for Potter at Brighton last season. The coaching was excellent but the individuals at both ends we’re letting the side down. The funny thing about Brighton so far this season is that they can go top but they’ve been getting the rub of the green so far to be in such a lofty position when you look at their xG.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It doesn’t account for who is taking on the shot, it just measures against the average. What it suggests is that Brentford are a well coached team but that their players are not top level. The same was true for Potter at Brighton last season. The coaching was excellent but the individuals at both ends we’re letting the side down. The funny thing about Brighton so far this season is that they can go top but they’ve been getting the rub of the green so far to be in such a lofty position when you look at their xG.
On the other hands, it's also the players creating the chances, so it's mostly the finishing that's crap right?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it just shows you don’t need big money to play decent football

mav_9me

It is actually quite entertaining to see the meltdowns when it doesn't happen which, after all, is the main reason threads like this exist right ;) anyway better not side track this thread any more!
That's what makes the world go round. We should be beating you and Villa/ Everton etc and when we don't, you can have all the fun with our meltdown

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Imagine this United side playing Brentford away...not sure whether to laugh or cry!

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford

Edit: Actually now that I've gone into detail with Blackpool, I'm seeing some similarities with Brentford as well. First foray into top division in over 70 years and was competing in 4th division little more than a decade ago - they've come a long way and are playing some great attacking football right now to boot.
With one major defining difference - we are owned by a fan who just happens to be a highly intelligent individual who owns a company that gives exclusive access to data and stats others simply don't get. Blackpool were owned by very very different people.

Robbie Boy

With one major defining difference - we are owned by a fan who just happens to be a highly intelligent individual who owns a company that gives exclusive access to data and stats others simply don't get. Blackpool were owned by very very different people.
And the quality of players you have, are absolutely miles ahead of what Blackpool had.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How long have you supported Brentford for? Must have been hell of an exciting journey to be part of :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Comparing it to Newcastle's looming takeover, this seems like a way more fun ownership "project" from a fans' POV.

Unless the Brentford owner has committed a few crimes against humanity I'm unaware of.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
How long have you supported Brentford for? Must have been hell of an exciting journey to be part of :)
My first Brentford match was 1987 went on a freebie my dad and I got after I went on a football course done by Brentford's excellent Football In the Community Initiative. Was born and raised in Ealing, my Dad and his brother were Sheffield United fans and my Uncle on my Mum's side a massive United fan - so while I have soft spots for both I knew I wouldn't be able to go watch them regularly. From that first time as a little kid standing on the terrace at Griffin Park I was hooked and been a season ticket holder ever since apart from when I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years and when my daughter's were really young. It's been mostly unglamorous and some spectacular failures - to say I am loving it is an understatement :D

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Comparing it to Newcastle's looming takeover, this seems like a way more fun ownership "project" from a fans' POV.

Unless the Brentford owner has committed a few crimes against humanity I'm unaware of.
I have it on good authority as a kid he bunked off school to go watch Brentford play away midweek somewhere up north but apart from that I think we are good...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
My first Brentford match was 1987 went on a freebie my dad and I got after I went on a football course done by Brentford's excellent Football In the Community Initiative. Was born and raised in Ealing, my Dad and his brother were Sheffield United fans and my Uncle on my Mum's side a massive United fan - so while I have soft spots for both I knew I wouldn't be able to go watch them regularly. From that first time as a little kid standing on the terrace at Griffin Park I was hooked and been a season ticket holder ever since apart from when I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years and when my daughter's were really young. It's been mostly unglamorous and some spectacular failures - to say I am loving it is an understatement :D
That’s amazing, a real roller coaster ride, kind of jealous of how exciting it would be for you, big cup games for my most local lower division team is exciting enough, never mind being able to watch them climb to the premier league. Hope they stay up this year.

Winrar

That part I didn't know. I was more focused on Blackpool but a very interesting difference.

I love seeing and hearing about grassroots success stories like this.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yet another storming Brentford performance. They are so hard to contain when they start buzzing about at 100mph winning every second ball and every aerial contest.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Yet another storming Brentford performance. They are so hard to contain when they start buzzing about at 100mph winning every second ball and every aerial contest.
With tactics drilled into the players and good coaching even average players can run amok. Its a team game afterall, they're playing it like a team working to a plan in stark contrast to us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Genuinely impressive how much trouble they have Chelsea.

Watching us play Brentford will be the quintessential yin and yang game of football - great players with awful coaching versus no-nomes with a system, vision and knowledge of how to execute.

Moby

Dick
No idea how you lot came out unscathed out of that one. If only Mbeumo could stop hitting the post and hit the target!

They'll be a problem when playing at home for anyone. Great atmosphere and very direct tactics. Just keep lobbing it into the box and swarm players around to win second balls and take shots. Need to defend high up the pitch vs them, Chelsea were doing that fine in the first half today but dropped deep in the second asking for trouble.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I understood the players from international duty had heavy legs and bees were fresh but that s embarrassing performance from Chelsea boys.
Couldn't able to hold the ball for a second after sixty minutes. :lol: .

Sure city and United should be in top of their game to get 3 points against bees.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
No idea how you lot came out unscathed out of that one. If only Mbeumo could stop hitting the post and hit the target!

They'll be a problem when playing at home for anyone. Great atmosphere and very direct tactics. Just keep lobbing it into the box and swarm players around to win second balls and take shots. Need to defend high up the pitch vs them, Chelsea were doing that fine in the first half today but dropped deep in the second asking for trouble.
That's what Klopp s Liverpool do against most teams. Long from van Dijk to sala mane or fullbacks then swarm the box.:D