Brexit and the Premier League

OohAahMartial

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ue-gulf-top-six-minnows-will-grow-regardless/

Interesting article about how Brexit will affect competition within the Premier League. While I don't agree with them about currency effects, because its now more likely we leave with a deal than without, and GBP has strongly strengthened since the deal was done, the Visa changes and quotas changes would have a severe impact. Makes me think that our recent snapping up of young U18 EU talent, is a race against the clock to do so while we still can, and that our Brexit British 1st approach to senior team recruitment is also a preempting of an expected price increase in British born players. That the lower based teams have been able to compete with the Big 6 through recruiting EU players, which under new conditions many would not be eligible, would indeed disadvantage them, and benefit the top clubs who will be increasing fighting each other over a reduced pool of legally available talent.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think the top 6 teams will be fine but it's the others who will face the biggest challenge. Many of these clubs have become increasingly reliant on foreign imports, the likes of which they couldn't have signed 20 years ago. A club that could suffer quite badly is Wolves in my opinion.

cyberman

I always assumed mining other continents such as south America would make up for leaving the EU?
Politians will help football grow, theres enough idiots over there that will hold politicians accountable for sport over real issues

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
The article spends almost its entirety going over the travails clubs are to face due to forthcoming visa restrictions, then wraps up with a "oh and all visa restrictions are to be abolished under the forthcoming PL/FA agreement that instead increases the HG quota".

Why not start with that and put the filler after?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff