Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Why aren't we hearing loads of advice and stories of stocking up on supplies like we got before the Brexit deadline last time?

And what did people do with all the extra stuff you hoarded before too, have you used it all? still got it? going to get loads more again just in case? I've heard toilet rolls are going to be pretty scarce after the 31st.

RedChip

Why aren't we hearing loads of advice and stories of stocking up on supplies like we got before the Brexit deadline last time?

And what did people do with all the extra stuff you hoarded before too, have you used it all? still got it? going to get loads more again just in case? I've heard toilet rolls are going to be pretty scarce after the 31st.
That's because nothing much will change immediately. Transition period will kick in on 1st February.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I watched this video about Johnson's Brexit plan:

(Great channel, for what it's worth. Well worth a subscription, imo.)

What are people thoughts on:
1. How accurately this reflects the Tory plan for post-Brexit Britain?
2. How likely it is to succeed?

Although I've been staunchly Remain the last few years, I'm rooting for the government to make Leave work. No sense in cutting off our nose to spite our face.
Bit late for that, it’s already been done by voters twice

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If anyone fancies their family being a case study...

How did you overcome your Brexit family fallouts?
We want to hear from people who have managed to heal their Brexit rifts with family or friends
Guardian community team
Mon 6 Jan 2020 12.04 GMT

The 2016 EU referendum result threw families, friends and couples into bitter conflict.
As Brexit finally arrives, we want to hear from people who managed to heal those rifts, or move past them, or come round to a different point of view.
We would also like to hear from you if the December general election result opened up new divisions in your family – did a parent, child or partner vote a different way to usual in the election?
Share your experiences
Whatever your age, background or where you live in the UK, tell us about how you overcame rifts with your family/friends caused by Brexit.
We’d be very keen to hear from more than one person in the same family/couple/friendship group, if they had differing views. How did this Brexit rift impact your relationship? How did you heal the rift? Did the election open old wounds?
You can get in touch by filling in the encrypted form below. Only the Guardian will see your responses and one of our journalists may be in touch for more information if we decide to publish your response as part of an upcoming feature.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/06/how-did-you-overcome-your-brexit-family-fallouts

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
BBC said:
In a wide-ranging interview with BBC Breakfast's Dan Walker - his first major TV interview since the election - the PM also said he was "very, very, very confident" about the UK and EU negotiating a new trade deal by the 31 December deadline.

While, in any negotiation, a country had "to budget for a complete failure of common sense", he believed a successful outcome was "enormously likely".

He also said the government was continuing to look at whether Big Ben would chime at the moment that Brexit happens at 23.00 GMT on 31 January. The bell is currently being refurbished and he said it would cost about £500,000 for it to be brought back into use for one night.

"We are working up a plan so people can bung a bob for a Big Ben bong," Mr Johnson said.
That last line made me hate the world even more than I already did.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Is it really something that momentus that we need to waste £500,000 of taxpayers money on taking the dust sheets off Big Ben for one night? Why not spend that kind of money on employing more police officers for the impending riots or something?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is it really something that momentus that we need to waste £500,000 of taxpayers money on taking the dust sheets off Big Ben for one night? Why not spend that kind of money on employing more police officers for the impending riots or something?
To Brexiters this is our independence day

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Because:

[HISTORICAL][BRITISH][TRADITION]BONGGGGGGGGG[/TRADITION][/BRITISH][/HISTORICAL]

Smores

What's an additional £500k when you're already throwing the economy down the drain.

This lot would agree to halve the education budget if they could get an extra great added onto Britain.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Ah so that’s how we did it!

Apparently BJ’s already working on a fantastic deal with the Ozzies for Australian charcoal.
What make’s me laugh he’s already backtracking.. take special attention to the word ‘comprehensive’.. spin spin spin...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This is from a Brexit Party MEP

We’re in a simulation.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Call me cynical but I don't really see it as good news. It's a bit like the point AOC made about saying America is doing well because the DOW is flying high when in reality wages are worse than stagnant.

Right now we're about to enter a bit of a policy vacuum where it's assumed that EU laws and regulations protecting citizens rights will be de facto UK laws but that remains to be seen. We're going to attract a lot of interest from foreign corporations, that much is obvious, but there's not a hope in hell that it's going to benefit the man on the street. They will be attracted to us because the Tories will offer them huge tax incentives and deregulate as the lobbyists see fit, small businesses in the UK won't be able to compete and the money will flood offshore and there will be a huge gap to fill in the tax accounts as we fail to fund our public services.

I'm expecting the food standards to drop incrementally which will allow for cheap imports of substandard food. Our own production industries will then be crippled as they won't be able to compete without dropping their own standards and losing their EU export markets. The fishermen who 90%+ voted for Brexit will be completely fecked over as the UK continues to sell our quotas to the European mega-trawlers and the UK fishermen realise they no longer have any protection against foreign fishing boats entering UK waters, what are we going to do to protect them? Get a Navy patrol?.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Anyone else looking at starting up a Vineyard? Finally, UK wine will be free to thrive...
There's actually some really good wine produced in the UK but there is no way we can produce the sort of quantity required for it to thrive into a vital sector, nor is it anywhere close to the quality to make any sort of economical impact selling high price small bins.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I can't wait for these people to die