Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are going to take someone's rules and it looks like it will be Trump's.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We are going to take someone's rules and it looks like it will be Trump's.
If Trump loses the election this year, will there be enough time to negotiate a trade deal with the US?

Let's imagine that if it is Bernie who wins the election, would he change the conditions of the deal?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Trump loses the election this year, will there be enough time to negotiate a trade deal with the US?

Let's imagine that if it is Bernie who wins the election, would he change the conditions of the deal?
I doubt it. The people negotiating the deal are mainly civil servants and they don't really change. Any deal would need Congressional approval though.

Dobba

Shouldn't it be Jim 'nick nick' Davidson?

He's forever condemned to have that phrase written when he's mentioned.
That or him being heckled by a boy scout.

In December last year, Jim Davidson appeared in pantomime in Kent, England. In the first act, he asked the audience: ‘Do you know who I am?’ A 15-year-old boy scout, in uniform, shouted back, ‘Yes, you’re a fecking wanker!’ The audience roared; Davidson sulked. He even went in search of the offending heckler during the interval, to no avail.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
After Brexit Day, you'll be putting his face through plasterboard.
Single sheet, non strapped, non EU reg approved but MADE IN BRITA-oh shit my TV just fell off the wall and crushed Percival.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Ashamed to be British. What a pathetic, insular and ignorant country it is....

So Boris, where’s this great trade deal with the EU you’ve been harping on about? What about all the promises you made whilst doing the exact opposite of what you promised to do? What about the great British public?! Voting for Brexit out to improve prosperity and take back control? Of course the British public is well informed on the EU and xenophobia had nothing to do with wanting out. Imbeciles!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

So Boris, where’s this great trade deal with the EU you’ve been harping on about? What about all the promises you made whilst doing the exact opposite of what you promised to do? What about the great British public?! Voting for Brexit out to improve prosperity and take back control? Of course the British public is well informed on the EU and xenophobia had nothing to do with wanting out. Imbeciles!
Well said Rams.

Coxy

This sadly.

With the coins and the childish flag waving by Farage and his ilk - so shameful.

Hoof the ball

Possibly an exercise in futility, but, for anyone out there who has a firm grasp of economics, trade policy, international relations, etc, can anyone explain what the potential upsides are to all this?

I think it's been fairly established by rather well informed individuals on what we have to lose because of Brexit, but does anyone have any thoughts on what could improve because of it? I'd like to think that there's at least a possibility that in the complexity of the situation that there's some things which conceivably could change for the better?

Dante

Average bang
Possibly an exercise in futility, but, for anyone out there who has a firm grasp of economics, trade policy, international relations, etc, can anyone explain what the potential upsides are to all this?

I think it's been fairly established by rather well informed individuals on what we have to lose because of Brexit, but does anyone have any thoughts on what could improve because of it? I'd like to think that there's at least a possibility that in the complexity of the situation that there's some things which conceivably could change for the better?
It's too early to say what direction we're heading in. But I think this is where Boris would like to go:
I watched this video about Johnson's Brexit plan:

(Great channel, for what it's worth. Well worth a subscription, imo.)

What are people thoughts on:
1. How accurately this reflects the Tory plan for post-Brexit Britain?
2. How likely it is to succeed?

Although I've been staunchly Remain the last few years, I'm rooting for the government to make Leave work. No sense in cutting off our nose to spite our face.
If we can pull it off, it's the only ray of hope I've found from Brexit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Extremely well put. My sentiment completely.
In my opinion the majority of the British public has been duped by a batch of con men and women who have managed to sell them an illusion.

And quite soon the fun will start and all those promises of a new dawn will begin to unravel.

And. By the way. For those who think that the USA will give us a wonderful trade deal in super quick time, don't hold your breath. They will be far worse than the EU.

So. Let battle commence.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Yup, my feelings summed up too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Even if there are some upsides you still have the Tories in charge of delivering those and you can bet your bottom dollar they're more interested in their own wellbeing than that of the average person if given the choice.

Classical Mechanic

One key industry that confounded Brexit gloom was the tech and AI industry which is going from strength to strength since the referendum.

https://sifted.eu/articles/uk-tech-startups-growth-asia/

https://www.itproportal.com/news/uk-smbs-plan-tech-spending-spree-after-brexit/

The feeling is that being free from the regulatory tentacles of the EU that the industry can build on its status as a world leader. Obviously this is a key industry for the future.

Agriculture is another industry that many feel has been hamstrung by the EU Common Agricultural policy. The new policies will be at the core of the UK's drive to become carbon neutral.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51128709

In a more general sense the IMF recently forecast the UK to have better growth than the EU average in the next few years if it avoids a no deal exit

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-20/brexit-international-monetary-fund-forecast-imf-britain-growth/

A survey by PWC among CEOs of global companies recently voted the UK as the world's 4th most important market in the near future.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rexit-uncertainty-with-backing-of-global-ceos

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sgt Johnson's Lonely Hearts Club Scam.

Sweet Square

We leave the EU tonight – but Europe is still alive in people’s hearts

Remainers are often not that comfortable talking about our identities as Europeans, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have them or feel them intensely at times like this. And when I think about what it means to me to be European, as well as profoundly English, I inevitably end up not with the EU flag or the day-to-day business of the Brussels institutions (touching as it was of Ursula von der Leyen to quote George Eliot on love as we were leaving), but a gut sense acquired in childhood that foreign isn’t frightening, and lives opened up to the world will be more exciting than ones shut away from it.

People who backed remain made and lost their case on more practical, hard-boiled economic arguments, steering clear of this muddier emotional territory. But as Britain reaches tonight’s point of no return from Brexit, it’s the deeper gut feelings that are bubbling up. The battle to stay in the EU was finally lost in December, but the debate about how we can stay European – how to keep the door open, preserve the social and cultural ties that bind, prevent Britain becoming a crabby and shrivelled country alienated from its own continent – needs blowing wide open.
Does anyone feel similar ? Personally I don't but I've heard people talk about ''feeling european'' quite a lot over the last few years.

Remainers are often not that comfortable talking about our identities as Europeans, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have them or feel them intensely at times like this. And when I think about what it means to me to be European, as well as profoundly English, I inevitably end up not with the EU flag or the day-to-day business of the Brussels institutions (touching as it was of Ursula von der Leyen to quote George Eliot on love as we were leaving), but a gut sense acquired in childhood that foreign isn’t frightening, and lives opened up to the world will be more exciting than ones shut away from it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We're George Best and David Bowie Brexiters?
I suspect Turing's main motivation for breaking the Enigma code was so that one day long after the Government that contributed to his death would facilitate leaving a political and trade union.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Does anyone feel similar ? Personally I don't but I've heard people talk about ''feeling european'' quite a lot over the last few years.
I do feel European yes, or at least very fond of and comfortable with other European countries / cultures and their people. My Partner and her family is Greek, a lot of her family still live there, I work in a fantastic pan European company surrounded by French, Spanish, Italian and Germans on secondments. I deal with colleagues in Poland, Romania and Hungary and it's never even crossed my mind that I am anything different. Foreign isn't frightening, it's differences are exciting to me and always have been.

Not sure it's anything I actually feel in my heart though, not sure how that would feel. Ultimately we are British and still part of Europe.