Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irwin99

The depressing beauty is that they will never be held accountable, when Brexit fails it will be the fault of the EU not the torys. the buck will always be passed on.
I fear something similar to this. When the reality of more cuts and cost saving measures hit home (and feck me the state of homelessness, the NHS and mental health care in the UK is already shocking) then the Tories have the option of saying; 'we all voted for Brexit, we knew there was going to be a few bumps on the road but we must stick together and get Brexit done' etc etc it and it just further absolves them of blame and people will fall for it. Again and again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
By far and away the biggest problem facing the new Tory government is going to be Scotland. It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Badly I am thinking. The impending break up of the UK.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Good post. Pretty much my thoughts to.

Like I have said to gloating Tories today here at work this morning ''you have made your bed now, lets hope Brexit works out, because if not it is on YOU". Most haven't had a comeback to that.
Ha! Incredibly naive. one of the defining characteristics of the baby boomer generation is that they are never responsible for anything. It's always somebody else's fault. A government that was shown by it's own mouthpiece to have run a campaign built on ads that were 88% lies is clearly not one that has to be worried about being held to account. Clearly they have a base that has no problem with being lied to.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
By far and away the biggest problem facing the new Tory government is going to be Scotland. It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Badly I am thinking. The impending break up of the UK.
I think it will be Ireland personally. Whether Scotland goes or stays it's unlikely they'll start killing each other up there. I hope not anyway. I hope they don't in Ireland of course, but it's more of a possibility.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it will be Ireland personally. Whether Scotland goes or stays it's unlikely they'll start killing each other up there. I hope not anyway. I hope they don't in Ireland of course, but it's more of a possibility.
Nah, the Tories will get their border down the Irish Sea now, avoiding a border on the island of Ireland. My guess is the people of NI will grow more isolated from the rest of the UK as a result and we will see reunification some time in the next 10-20 years. Seems inevitable at this point.

Kaos

Nah, the Tories will get their border down the Irish Sea now, avoiding a border on the island of Ireland. My guess is the people of NI will grow more isolated from the rest of the UK as a result and we will see reunification some time in the next 10-20 years. Seems inevitable at this point.
That scenario is still a precarious one, the prospect of reunification will still be a huge hornets nest for the unionists, irrespective of the economic situation. I just don't see them happily conceding to it.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
That scenario is still a precarious one, the prospect of reunification will still be a huge hornets nest for the unionists, irrespective of the economic situation. I just don't see them happily conceding to it.
We must all hope Spanner's rosy scenario is correct and you are wrong, but it's a frightening situation for sure.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I keep going into a kind of self defence mode and thinking that in reality my situation is probably not going to be terrible. In a few months time I'll finish Uni and should have a good job.

Then I remember that I'm a white male with a Uni education and that there is so many people who are not in my position and it makes me sick to the stomach that the comforting thoughts I'm having are borne out of white privilege and over half the country do not have the same security blanket. There's plenty of Turkeys who have voted for Christmas and to be honest they can go feck themselves and I hope it's every bit as painful for them as I expect it to be. The ones who didn't vote for this are the ones I'm hurting for and I'm not even talking just about Brexit. I'm talking about the communities who have been treated like dirt by the Tories like at Grenfell, Windrush, people on universal credit, people with disabilities who have been declared fit to work and anyone who is going to require medical treatment or who have family members who will over the next 20+ years.
Yeah I'm sort of the same as you, I've never voted for a political party out of self-interest, but out of who I felt could deliver a society that benefitted the most the people who needed it. Whilst I don't wish pain or suffering on anyone over the way they voted, I will find it difficult to have sympathy if Brexit has the impact that it is expected to do on the communities whom seemingly haven't realised the negative effect leaving the EU is going to have.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We must all hope Spanner's rosy scenario is correct and you are wrong, but it's a frightening situation for sure.
I never said it was a rosy scenario, it will be a long, arduous one fraught with possibly as many issues as Brexit itself, but I do think it will happen, eventually. We likely won't see a fully reunified Ireland for a very long time, my prediction of 10-20 years would be for the beginning of a transition period which in itself would probably last another 10-20 years!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Does that mean that the UK voted for the few not the many?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Such a depressing result. I am happy I gave up and moved to Europe.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well at least we get to see what really happens now. If it's shit then the tories are out, if it's good then hey-ho.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes. Point taken. Especially when NI has a minority of Unionists.
Scotland though because Mr Bumble has said that he will not permit another referendum, which is going to cause massive discontent.
Either way, the eventual break up of the union seems ann inevitability. Who wants to be the PM who led to that. Fantastic legacy..

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Well at least we get to see what really happens now. If it's shit then the tories are out, if it's good then hey-ho.
They aren't going anywhere.

If it's shit, they already have the excuses and the core voters to lap it all up. Unless, of course, Labour magically get their shit together in the next couple of years. But I wouldn't bet on that.

Kaos

If it's shit, they already have the excuses and the core voters to lap it all up. Unless, of course, Labour magically get their shit together in the next couple of years. But I wouldn't bet on that.
What will be the excuses this time round? Blaming the EU for not succumbing to our every demands? Immigration? Diane Abbott?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Loving these labour goons crying. Absolutely smashed to pieces.
Hopefully your family won't be one of those that struggles from what will happen because of your vote. Hopefully they don't end up in hospital without insurance. Hopefully you never need help in life.

Simbo

Could well happen before. The deal is ready to go, no point waiting.
Apparently so, but that deal was made just to appease the parliament situation at the time. I fully expect Boris' first port of call will be to throw it in the toilet.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Yeah they're not interesting in good. They're interested in not letting others have anything good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I thought you were here last night? Apologies.

But yeah, don't feed the troll mate, he was just repeating himself looking for reactions.
I was for a bit early on. Don't remember seeing him about or engaging, although it's been a bit of a blur.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I was for a bit early on. Don't remember seeing him about or engaging, although it's been a bit of a blur.
Tell me about it brother.

Weird thing was, I had to get the bus earlier to my kid's school (I rarely do that) and I don't know what I expected but there was nothing. Nothing changed. I guess it was because I was up all night with the weirdos in here, but it just seemed to surreal that life carried on and everyone just didn't give a shit.

I guess this place really is a weird bubble :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Weird thing was, I had to get the bus earlier to my kid's school (I rarely do that) and I don't know what I expected but there was nothing. Nothing changed. I guess it was because I was up all night with the weirdos in here, but it just seemed to surreal that life carried on and everyone just didn't give a shit.

Yeah the internet in general can be like that sometimes I think. Talking about certain subjects far deeper than others do.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

We’re aware of our lefty bubble. The trouble is that you get a lot of people in rural areas who experience the country through the lens of the Mail, Sun and Express and they genuinely think the country is being “overrun”. If you ask them when they last saw a Muslim in their little country village or even when they last met one in real life they wouldn’t have an answer for you. Yet their impression is that it’s some sort of cultural war going on and that it’s somehow having an impact of their life. It’s madness. These people have absolutely zero awareness that they are living within a bubble and that the things they are being told are happening aren’t really happening. If they didn’t read the paper they wouldn’t know to think this way.

Oo0AahCantona

We’re aware of our lefty bubble. The trouble is that you get a lot of people in rural areas who experience the country through the lens of the Mail, Sun and Express and they genuinely think the country is being “overrun”. If you ask them when they last saw a Muslim in their little country village or even when they last met one in real life they wouldn’t have an answer for you. Yet their impression is that it’s some sort of cultural war going on and that it’s somehow having an impact of their life. It’s madness. These people have absolutely zero awareness that they are living within a bubble and that the things they are being told are happening aren’t really happening. If they didn’t read the paper they wouldn’t know to think this way.
This is a great point. I've seen some fairly detailed analysis that shows the divide in political thinking can nearly all be attributed to rural vs urban. If you look at red states in the US electoral college maps, the big city hubs manage to go to the democrats, very similar to where you look at traditional UK General election seat maps. Almost as if exposure to a large diverse set of people and reality can give you a different perspective huh.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I have never seen a society so obsessed over an issue that has very little real impact.
It evidently does, and in this case - did, have a real impact.

The areas most concerned with immigrants are areas that have very little of it.
As I recall, the Leave vote was higher in those areas which experienced higher rates of immigration.

Before I arrived I used to see the UK as a bastion of a liberal progressive society. It is not.
The working class people that voted for this lot can enjoy their vote.
What does being a 'bastion of a liberal progressive society' involve to you?

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The vast majority of unionists will never happily concede to it. If they did they wouldn't be unionists. The best one can hope for is a begrudging acceptance of it, and if the break up of the UK is inevitable (which I believe it is) then Scotland going first is the best way to achieve that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not sure what events would allow a reunifucation of Ireland and BoJo won't give Scotland a chance to leave I'd guess. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

I mentioned the rate, not the overall numbers.
So you were making a specific point about pace of immigration in response to someone making a point about immigration volume and people's exposure to immigrants being likely to make them more inclined to vote remain?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
So you were making a specific point about pace of immigration in response to someone making a point about immigration volume and people's exposure to immigrants being likely to make them more inclined to vote remain?
I just made a specific point about rates of immigration (assuming that Adisa was referring to numbers) and the Leave vote; which to the best of my knowledge is correct.