Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedChip

if we're basing is on less fun more money waste workers should get paid more than ceos
OK never mind the fun part. Despite that it might not need the same level of expertise, managing people is much more complex than conducting research.

To be clear, I am not suggesting scientific researchers are paid well. I just object to the blanket statement that scientific researchers should be paid more than managers.

Silva

OK never mind the fun part. Despite that it might not need the same level of expertise, managing people is much more complex than conducting research.

To be clear, I am not suggesting scientific researchers are paid well. I just object to the blanket statement that scientific researchers should be paid more than managers.
considering the amount of braindead morons who can't tie their own shoes that become managers through brown nosing and bootlicking I doubt the complexity of the job

RedChip

considering the amount of braindead morons who can't tie their own shoes that become managers through brown nosing and bootlicking I doubt the complexity of the job
Well, you should be more specific then. That might be true for some managers in some contexts.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t know about the complexities of being a researcher but I’ve managed people for 15+ years, large teams of people from lots of different countries, with all of their own individual problems - it’s not easy at all.

Honest John

I don’t know about the complexities of being a researcher but I’ve managed people for 15+ years, large teams of people from lots of different countries, with all of their own individual problems - it’s not easy at all.
This. People are by far the hardest part of my job.

Honest John

Just had an ex employee pop in to see me. He's Polish, a very skilled engineer and a nice bloke.

Been in the UK 13 years but is now going back to Poland.

He tells me that the community he knows in this region is now a fraction of what it was because everyone is going back.

There are some that have relatives in other parts of the country and the same is happening everywhere.

There are numerous reasons but the main one is because they don't know what the future will be here.

It is a bloody shame that this seems to be the case.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just had an ex employee pop in to see me. He's Polish, a very skilled engineer and a nice bloke.

Been in the UK 13 years but is now going back to Poland.

He tells me that the community he knows in this region is now a fraction of what it was because everyone is going back.

There are some that have relatives in other parts of the country and the same is happening everywhere.

There are numerous reasons but the main one is because they don't know what the future will be here.

It is a bloody shame that this seems to be the case.
That's exactly what millions voted for, sadly.

Silva

they can't muster 48 votes for a no confidence vote against may but half of them are telling journalists they're going to vote against the deal, some hella empty threats right there

Fully Fledged

British Rail was a national laughing stock, public transport in t his country has always been a joke.
It's even worse now you have to take out a mortgage to get from Birmingham to London on a peak time train. Even then unless you booked your seat it's standing room only.

MoskvaRed

In summary the Political Declaration means that if the UK finds a solution to the Irish border problem then the UK will then be heading for a Hard Brexit. Should reassure business no end.
Fortunately there is no solution unless you give credence to the “blue sky thinking” (also known as back of a beer mat scribbling after a good liquid lunch) of David Davis about checks based on chips, scanners and drones. I think that sentence is just a sop to the DUP.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Fortunately there is no solution unless you give credence to the “blue sky thinking” (also known as back of a beer mat scribbling after a good liquid lunch) of David Davis about checks based on chips, scanners and drones. I think that sentence is just a sop to the DUP.
Yep. Waiting for the magical unicorn.
The UK are right back to pre-referendum but wasted two and a half years doing it.
Can't have Brexit if the Irish problem isn't resolved but if it is solved it's off the cliff.

On top of that no-one is happy. Continued uncertainty.

It seems that the vision of Brexit is Theresa May's personal vision of Brexit, sounds very democratic.

I would accuse her of being xenophobic but it could actually be worse than that, she just doesn't seem to like people, full stop.

Edit: Plus of course, the UK loses their representation and vote in March.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

All the highly trained doctors, nurses and engineers that you lads don’t want, we will take them over here thanks
There is such a thing as controlled immigration. Australia has pretty much a perfect system. If someone is highly skilled or the country needs people for certain industries they will be welcome with open arms.

One of the biggest issues with the EU’s free movement policy is there are far more benefits for an Eastern European to come to England, France or Germany than there is the other way round, mainly financial but also the standard of living. Even this year with all the uncertainty the net migration figures are still over 100,000. The infrastructure in this country can’t keep up with the growth in population. There is a lack of housing, schools, hospitals are always full, trains are overcrowded. Controlling immigration better would help with this situation.

But for some reason if you’re anti-immigration you must be xenophobic or racist. I’m not against immigration I just think an open door policy is a bit stupid, especially when it’s biased towards members of the EU whilst people from countries outside of the EU have to meet so many more criteria.

MoskvaRed

Yep. Waiting for the magical unicorn.
The UK are right back to pre-referendum but wasted two and a half years doing it.
Can't have Brexit if the Irish problem isn't resolved but if it is solved it's off the cliff.

On top of that no-one is happy. Continued uncertainty.

It seems that the vision of Brexit is Theresa May's personal vision of Brexit, sounds very democratic.

I would accuse her of being xenophobic but it could actually be worse than that, she just doesn't seem to like people, full stop.

Edit: Plus of course, the UK loses their representation and vote in March.
Theresa May is certainly a strange person. I was feeling a modicum of sympathy for her last week and then she came out with her “queue jumping” line, completely disregarding the British people like me who have benefited from freedom of movement and of course completely ignoring the younger generation who will be denied those opportunities. But despite the fact she is the second worst PM of my lifetime (the shallow Old Etonian tosser who set off this sorry mess claiming first spot), she still seems more convincing than the overgrown student politician heading HM’s loyal opposition.

Paul the Wolf

There is such a thing as controlled immigration. Australia has pretty much a perfect system. If someone is highly skilled or the country needs people for certain industries they will be welcome with open arms.

One of the biggest issues with the EU’s free movement policy is there are far more benefits for an Eastern European to come to England, France or Germany than there is the other way round, mainly financial but also the standard of living. Even this year with all the uncertainty the net migration figures are still over 100,000. The infrastructure in this country can’t keep up with the growth in population. There is a lack of housing, schools, hospitals are always full, trains are overcrowded. Controlling immigration better would help with this situation.

But for some reason if you’re anti-immigration you must be xenophobic or racist. I’m not against immigration I just think an open door policy is a bit stupid, especially when it’s biased towards members of the EU whilst people from countries outside of the EU have to meet so many more criteria.
Incorrect - there is no open policy, the Uk don't apply the rules
EU net immigration is 87000 and non-EU is 235000

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

Furthermore citizens from EU8 -Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia are leaving the UK more than arriving.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

EU net migration up to March of this year was 87k. Non-EU migration was 235k.

You cannot simultaneously use the arguments that immigration is far too high and that non-EU migrants are unfairly treated by the system.

Josep Dowling

Incorrect - there is no open policy, the Uk don't apply the rules
EU net immigration is 87000 and non-EU is 235000

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

Furthermore citizens from EU8 -Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia are leaving the UK more than arriving.
All you have proved is net migration is much higher when you include non-EU migrants. Even with this supposed uncertainly causing people to rethink about coming to the UK.

Paul the Wolf

All you have proved is net migration is much higher when you include non-EU migrants. Even with this supposed uncertainly causing people to rethink about coming to the UK.

You said Eastern European, the majority of EU immigrants to the UK are from the EU15. What's the Uk doing about the massive increase in non-EU immigrants or don't they bother you?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's even worse now you have to take out a mortgage to get from Birmingham to London on a peak time train. Even then unless you booked your seat it's standing room only.
True... but equally the biggest cost is the funding for network rail as they are pretty busy upgrading the Victorian era network as British fail did nothing with it

Josep Dowling

You said Eastern European, the majority of EU immigrants to the UK are from the EU15. What's the Uk doing about the massive increase in non-EU immigrants or don't they bother you?
Yes hence why I said we need a controlled migration policy. But clearly you didn’t read my first post.

Paul the Wolf

Yes hence why I said we need a controlled migration policy. But clearly you didn’t read my first post.
You mean you ignore all the points I made.
If an EU citizen is a burden on the UK, the UK can remove them. So why is it only the UK that has a problem with other EU citizens.
You've ignored the point you made about Eastern European immigrants and you said one of the biggest issues is the EU's freedom of movement policy, you said the EU immigration was more than 100,000 clearly you haven't read your own post.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
True... but equally the biggest cost is the funding for network rail as they are pretty busy upgrading the Victorian era network as British fail did nothing with it
3% profit? Is this data reliable? its hard to believe

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
You mean you ignore all the points I made.
If an EU citizen is a burden on the UK, the UK can remove them. So why is it only the UK that has a problem with other EU citizens.
You've ignored the point you made about Eastern European immigrants and you said one of the biggest issues is the EU's freedom of movement policy, you said the EU immigration was more than 100,000 clearly you haven't read your own post.
Yeah this is fairly basic stuff like. 87k is not 100k, address that Josep.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The logic is pretty easy to understand, but I will spell it out for you as you seem simple minded.

An inefficiently run rail network is cheaper for the public than an efficient but privately run network + profits + subsidies.
:lol::lol::lol:

Neither of those options will ever happen in the UK. You can either have an inefficiently run rail network or a privately run inefficient rail network. Take your pick.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
3% profit? Is this data reliable? its hard to believe
https://fullfact.org/news/do-train-operating-companies-earn-massive-profits/
3.4% average dating back to 1997 according to full fact who are pretty reliable and impartial I believe

Profits at the end of the day

Taking these subsidies into account, last year train operating companies enjoyed, between them, a margin of £305 million(3.4%). Analysis from KPMG shows margins similar to this going right back to 1997.

redshaw

Before Brexit the stats were quite evenly split with EU and non EU from around 300k+ net migration.

In 2004 we opened the door to Poland, in about 10-12 years we had nearly a million come here, that's pretty open policy. Before 2004 we had about 30-40k Polish for the entire century.

My concern though is the rate. The country struggles to cope with 300k net. We have housing shortages, blocked up roads and people driving miles to get their kid into a school. UK also has very small housing compared to other EU countries.

Sadly our already small houses are getting smaller. Instead of building semi detached with a garden and some privacy, you get planners trying to squeeze every ounce of land with shoe box homes and flats, flats on street corners. Near me we just had some green belt go for tiny houses and flats and a street corner where a pub used to be has some eyesore flats which are hard up to the footpath. I just wonder what the quality of life is like in these tiny homes and flats where there really shouldn't be any.

Second problem is all these people will want a car. The new estate on this former green belt spills out on to a main road that is bottlenecked to feck already and is near a junction of two other main roads and priority on the traffic lights is a real problem in the morning, evening and even during the day.

We should be making new areas or expanding outward on existing, not trying to shoehorn crummy places into a already built up area. You just look what councils are doing with small parcels of land in auctions. Soon a poxy semi will be some kind of luxury.

Also not known to some. People are splitting up nice semi detached homes built in the 1930s and 1960s for one family. I think the misery of those concrete jungle high rise flats of the 70s will happen again with so many people getting squashed together.

Last edited: