Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevoc

Another option being reported by Faisal and others on Twitter is that they may be moving to a new deal with a border down the irish see dressed up as other solutions. Possibly with NI being given a vote on it.

Of course let them remain in all but name and scotland will want to as well.
That was the obvious solution 3 years ago but May had to kowtow to the DUP.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh, my sides. What a wag he is.

SteveJ

Scout
Ian Dunt said:
Quite painful to watch. Varadkar conducting himself as a leader and grounding his comments in reality. Johnson looks like a child who won a Willy Wonka ticket to appear alongside him.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So my understanding is legislation has been passed with means Johnson cannot take the UK out of the EU without a deal on Oct 31 - or that if he does then he faces serious consequences.

But if the EU don't offer an extension and an acceptable deal isn't agreed, what on earth happens then?

Smores

So my understanding is legislation has been passed with means Johnson cannot take the UK out of the EU without a deal on Oct 31 - or that if he does then he faces serious consequences.

But if the EU don't offer an extension and an acceptable deal isn't agreed, what on earth happens then?
Not really on the first paragraph it mainly requires him to seek extension and report. What the legislation does do is provide further control of the commons timetable so if really needed there can be a vote to revoke.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My god, you have a leader who actually makes Varadkar look like the smart, rational, and competent one when stood beside him.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
My god, you have a leader who actually makes Varadkar look like the smart, rational, and competent one when stood beside him.
Was just thinking the same, Leo will be hoping to meet BJ as much as possible.

Infra-red

All Johnson has to do to comply with the new legislation is ask for an extension. Once he has done that, he has fulfilled his duties - if that request is rejected by the EU, Johnson will not face any legal repercussions.

If the EU don't offer an extension and an acceptable deal isn't agreed, parliament would have to decide between unilaterally revoking A50 or leaving with no deal.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
All Johnson has to do to comply with the new legislation is ask for an extension. Once he has done that, he has fulfilled his duties - if that request is rejected by the EU, Johnson will not face any legal repercussions.

If the EU don't offer an extension and an acceptable deal isn't agreed, parliament would have to decide between unilaterally revoking A50 or leaving with no deal.
Dear EU, please agree an extension to give you more time to consider just how wrong you've been and come up with a deal containing everything we've asked for. Cheers, Boris.

What a fecking stupid peace of legislation and waste of time.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Dear EU, please agree an extension to give you more time to consider just how wrong you've been and come up with a deal containing everything we've asked for. Cheers, Boris.

I thought Parliament had draughted him the exact request letter the law binds him to submit?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Could parliament revoke A50? I guess no majority for that anyhow

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Great work to frustrate the saboteurs of their own economy

owlo

pretty logical
if todays vote is rejected he really does not have many options...
a vonc in himself would give the opposition the chance to form a GNU so he does not want to call that - and it had to close by wednesday anyway
I don't think they have the numbers in agreement to form a GNU, else they would call VoNC today. Would be an interesting strategic move to outflank him if they did, but I think the plan is to wait him out and see how this develops in the next month or so. You can pretty much guarantee a GNU though if he doesn't comply by 19th or 20th.

My own thoughts is he's going to try to get around it, and that it will be playing with fire. A GNU might well ask for an extension predicated upon a second referendum, and hold out until then for a GE. If that happens, both Boris and the Tories are finished.

Honest John

Johnson could ask then do a round the back deal with Orban or the like to ensure the EU don't get 27 votes to extend.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I didn't know that. I don't see how it could preclude a covering letter of some sort though.
Yeah - I don't think it does. I guess there might also be wiggle room in the meaning of the word "form". The relevant bits are as follows:

(4) The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension of the period under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019 by sending to the President of the European Council a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act requesting an extension of that period to 11.00pm on 31 January 2020 in order to debate and pass a Bill to implement the agreement between the United Kingdom and the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, including provisions reflecting the outcome of inter-party talks as announced by the Prime Minister on 21 May 2019, and in particular the need for the United Kingdom to secure changes to the political declaration to reflect the outcome of those inter-party talks.
FORM OF LETTER FROM THE PRIME MINISTER TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL

“Dear Mr President,

The UK Parliament has passed the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019. Its provisions now require Her Majesty’s Government to seek an extension of the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, currently due to expire at 11.00pm GMT on 31 October 2019, until 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020.

I am writing therefore to inform the European Council that the United Kingdom is seeking a further extension to the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty. The United Kingdom proposes that this period should end at 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020. If the parties are able to ratify before this date, the Government proposes that the period should be terminated early.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2017-2019/0202/18202.pdf

SteveJ

Scout

"I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving,
England is mine, it owes me a living.
But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye,
Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye.
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams..."

Maticmaker

parliament would have to decide between unilaterally revoking A50 or leaving with no deal.
This has always been the case from day 1 following the A50 letter, everything else has been delaying tactics or sheer incompetence

Yeah - I don't think it does. I guess there might also be wiggle room in the meaning of the word "form". The relevant bits are as follows:

What's the betting that at the bottom of the letter Boris adds;

PS "please ignore the above it was written for me, it does not represent what HM Government actually thinks and I maintain it is therefore signed and hence presented under duress"... or something like it, e.g. " the deal we will seek during the extension (should you agree to it) will be the Canada +++ option... over to you Mr President"

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Johnson could ask then do a round the back deal with Orban or the like to ensure the EU don't get 27 votes to extend.
After the latest No Deal legislation gets Royal ascent, we will then have two slightly contradicting laws.
That and the existing EU exit on the 31st October Bill.
Listening to various legal people, their view is that the latter takes precident because it results from the referendum and is an existing law.
So. It is entirely possible that the PM will choose to challenge the No Deal legislation and hope that the courts will rule in favour of the 31st of October exit bill.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Why is he laughing like an idiot?
Why do you write "like an idiot"? You would not write something like... Giggs could really play like a professional footballer, would you? .... or The Joker laughs like a clown....

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
After the latest No Deal legislation gets Royal ascent, we will then have two slightly contradicting laws.
That and the existing EU exit on the 31st October Bill.
Listening to various legal people, their view is that the latter takes precident because it results from the referendum and is an existing law.
So. It is entirely possible that the PM will choose to challenge the No Deal legislation and hope that the courts will rule in favour of the 31st of October exit bill.
The referendum was advisory wasn't it? So there's no legal requirement to act on it surely.