Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maticmaker

but also he actually said there is no need for an extension now because there is a deal on the table
Correct, but Macron has already given notice that he would oppose an extension and Junker knows this, so the chances are even if the deal is not passed by the UK parliament then Macron and may be one or two other EU heads of state who have so far backed the official line (i.e. to support Ireland) are now looking to what comes next! For the French it seems the fishing deal will be one of the most important FT deals.

As with other Heads of state Macron would prefer a deal, but if the UK keeps shooting itself in the foot, he's not only going to take the bullets away, but the gun as well! There is really no point to an Extension, what will change? Yes there may be another referendum, or even a third one, yes there maybe a GE, but then what pops up from any of that?

It is not only UK businesses that are suffering from the indecision and uncertainty, businesses in the rest of the EU are also in the same boat. Its gone on long enough, what with Trump's sanctions and another flare up likely in the Middle East, the worlds economy is slowing down rapidly, hence Brexit has to be put to bed now so other matters can get the attention they need, not least of course Climate Change.

Actually its probably the only thing Boris and Macron agree on.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Lets say Johnson loses the vote on Saturday, and the day ends up as VONC followed by formation of GNU.

Would EU really have the balls to then tell 'leader of GNU/whoever writes the letter' that it was not willing for a further delay?

That would cause chaos and uproar like never before.
No I thin the EU Grant the extension.... IF we can find a PM to request it.

Because if Boris looses there is 14 days to find somebody who can carry the confidence of the house and the Libs / ex conservatives say they wont back corbyn (though not really 14 days as its going to take some time to send the letter, get a reply and pass the extension in parliament... perhaps 5 days?)

And Labour say they wont back a compromise candidate (clarke or becket)

So first things first we have to get somebody to request the extension

Personally i think if boris writes the letter (and grants the extension) then labour might concede an election under the fixed term parliament act to avoid the issues of agreeing the composition of a GNU (which I think will look bad for all opposition parties as it will be seen as party politics in the midst of a constitutional crisis)

Maticmaker

Would EU really have the balls to then tell 'GNU leader/whoever writes letter' that it was not willing for a further delay and force UK off the cliff without any deal?
Yes of course, because they know whoever is just a stand-in/temporary/only here for the beer person, unless... just possibly if it is Jeremy they just might succumb. However I doubt it, the Heads of State effectively shut down Barnier when he asked for negotiations to cease at 8.00am yesterday, this seeming to signal to EU 'watchers' that the Heads of State are now taking the lead and are getting into their stride to take on the Free trade dealing second phase.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yes of course, because they know whoever is just a stand-in/temporary/only here for the beer person, unless... just possibly if it is Jeremy they just might succumb. However I doubt it, the Heads of State effectively shut down Barnier when he asked for negotiations to cease at 8.00am yesterday, this seeming to signal to EU 'watchers' that the Heads of State are now taking the lead and are getting into their stride to take on the Free trade dealing second phase.
It’s all just opinions but I’m not so sure. By taking that approach, they’d make an enemy of a PM other than BJ, especially if it’s one who can chart a path towards revoke.

owlo

It's all very confused currently. I can't get any sort of handle on the thinking of the opposition. Heard [through 3rd parties in many cases] about 3 different things from 3 or 4 different pretty senior Labour figures. Corbyn seems all at sea and totally conflicted.

Only thing I can predict with any sort of confidence right now is that the deal won't come close to passing. BJ is trying the same bullyboy tactics that May did, and it won't work.

- On a 2nd referendum amendment - No idea
- On a VoNC - No idea

I don't think anybody knows anything except the Tory side of the chess board.

Maticmaker

they’d make an enemy of a PM
Only a temporary PM, there only by the grace of his/her otherwise opponents, who will stab him/her in the back as soon as its possible. To be honest I would think dealing with a temporary PM would be the last thing the EU would want right now, especially one who couldn't guarantee anything except perhaps a new throw of the dice with a second and maybe third referendum, which in turn couldn't guarantee any other outcome except perhaps the further uncertainty with a follow up GE, which also might lead to a 'hung' Parliament... rewind the tape please!

Its true the EU would like us to stay, but not at any cost, for them as well as the majority in the UK, it has to end. The truth is the fat lady has taken to the stage and is limbering up by running through the scales!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
She was on radio 5 this morning, it was refreshing to have someone that genuinely seemed to know what they were talking about making some sensible points for a change. Now I've seen her I might just be in love.
I too find Katya strangely alluring.

However, I believe there is a website devoted to abusing her, because she is Jewish.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sick and tired of this now just get it done.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sick and tired of this now just get it done.
Gerronwivvit?

Valid reasons to end the process; deal finalised, parliament backs it.

"Sick and tired" isn't a valid reason. It's something you say when you want to complain about the queue for a pizza in Asda.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Gerronwivvit?

Valid reasons to end the process; deal finalised, parliament backs it.

"Sick and tired" isn't a valid reason. It's something you say when you want to complain about the queue for a pizza in Asda.
Real talk. We have too many incompetent politicians, will there ever be a deal which parliament will back? Looks like this one is failing too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Real talk. We have too many incompetent politicians, will there ever be a deal which parliament will back? Looks like this one is failing too.
Personally I think we should put all the proposals into a tombola and see which one wins.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So.....

What do the Brexit nerds actually make of this deal as opposed to May's deal? Much of a muchness or is it distinctly better/worse from either the UK or EU's point of view?

Fully Fledged

So.....

What do the Brexit nerds actually make of this deal as opposed to May's deal? Much of a muchness or is it distinctly better/worse from either the UK or EU's point of view?
Distinctly worse. The governments own think thank said that this kind of deal would have a similar effect as the 2008 crash on our economy.

Infra-red

Yep get it done - and let the more difficult trade negotiations that will also take years begin. :drool:

Brexit ain't gonna stop any time soon.
Unless we revoke A50 and cancel Brexit - that is the only way this can all end soon.

Otherwise, Brexit will define our politics for a generation - none of us will escape it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Distinctly worse. The governments own think thank said that this kind of deal would have a similar effect as the 2008 crash on our economy.
It's almost as bad for the UK economy as no deal.
Why is this deal so much worse for the UK economically than May's? I would have thought that the economic impact of Brexit would ultimately have been more tied to the impending trade negotiations?

Infra-red

So.....

It's May's deal with a border in the Irish sea. This, as many predicted in August, was probably always Johnson's plan (rather than 'no deal'). He presumably hoped he'd have won an election and chucked out the DUP by now, though.

It doesn't matter anyway - there's no way it'll pass, so we're getting an extension and a "people vs Parliament" General Election.

madzo2007

She was on radio 5 this morning, it was refreshing to have someone that genuinely seemed to know what they were talking about making some sensible points for a change. Now I've seen her I might just be in love.
Katya Adler and RTE's Tony Connelly have been away ahead of the other journalists on the EU side of things. You should listen to the Brexitcast podcast, Katya is really good on that, funny as well.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So.....

Brexit is a choice between Really Bad, Extremely Bad and Catastrophically bad so in the middle for the UK.

Parliament will never agree on anything so they'll probably be an extension, pointless, then a GE, Boris will win and the whole circus starts again until the EU say "we've had enough of this farce"

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Unless we revoke A50 and cancel Brexit - that is the only way this can all end soon.

Otherwise, Brexit will define our politics for a generation - none of us will escape it.
Brexit is going to define our politics regardless of what happens, even if we remain.

Infra-red

Brexit is going to define our politics regardless of what happens, even if we remain.
True, but if we leave, with or without a deal, we're stuck in protracted negotiations for the next decade. This is the unpalatable reality for those with Brexit fatigue. Brexit will dominate everything for the foreseeable - there is no way to "get it over and done with", unless we cancel the entire project.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would have thought this would be the case alright. Even in an (unlikely) best case scenario where Brexit doesn't happen you'll still have a) the internal political fallout of that decision being reversed, b) approx 42% of the UK who still think Brexit was a good idea and c) people continuing to campaign on a Brexit platform. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

vidic blood & sand

Pretty sure Johnson will resurrect May's deal, and Brussels will agree to a proposal that solves the backstop issue.
Then it'll probably be defeated again in a parliament vote, as it's not leaving the EU, and is worse than our current arrangement as EU members.
It's all so predictable.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
To get an extension for what?

The only three possible leave scenarios have been presented with the two agreements or no deal. The only one left is Remain.
No, unicorns don't exist.
One of these days these colossal fecking morons are going to realise this.

Right?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I voted remain.

I think the country is now manifestly better educated about the pro's and con's of Brexit. Especially after another round of campiagning.

I would truly accept any result in a 2nd referendum: if Leave wins, so be it.

Honest Guv.
I agree with everything you said apart from the word 'educated'.
I prefer the word 'informed'.
Educated suggests that people have learnt about the 'bleedin obvious' inherent difficulties with a major country like the UK leaving a highly complex and regulated organisation like the EU.
Even without the added complexities associated with Ireland/NI, getting to a position of a mutually satisfied outcome was never going to happen.
But. So many people are utterly sick and fed up of Brexit, more and more people are turning off and think that Boris 'get Brexit done' actually means something.