Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoskvaRed

There are 3 potential positives:

We may get some goods slightly cheaper than before.
We might sign freedom of movement arrangements with other countries.
The tories will need to find a new scapegoat.

After 5 years though, that is all I have been able to find. All have potential downsides as well. The list of potential and known negatives is extensive.

I'd love to hear from any who voted brexit if they still think it will be worth it.
Brexit was presented as an opportunity for this uniquely talented nation to free itself of EU shackles and look to the wider world. This always felt like simplistic nonsense but it now looks ridiculous with the rise of nationalism (of which Brexit was a portent) and increasing calls for protectionism. Also, the salesmen for this English exceptionalist, buccaneering Britain BS have been once and for all revealed to be dilettante charlatans by the UK government”s shambolic response to Covid-19.

But, to answer your question, our mighty fishing industry might benefit. Maybe it can increase its share of national GDP above 0.1%.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If Roger Daltrey wants to tour Europe and take a truckload of equipment on the tour. Will the transport agreement be in place there be a commercial licence available so his drivers will be able to drive, will he have the insurance. Temporary import exemptions, temporary import duty, tax exemption etc. Imagine the bureaucracy involved.
Yes. The argument that British people worked overseas before the EU isn't a good argument against the benefits of free movement.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Brexit was presented as an opportunity for this uniquely talented nation to free itself of EU shackles and look to the wider world. This always felt like simplistic nonsense but it now looks ridiculous with the rise of nationalism (of which Brexit was a portent) and increasing calls for protectionism. Also, the salesmen for this English exceptionalist, buccaneering Britain BS have been once and for all revealed to be dilettante charlatans by the UK government”s shambolic response to Covid-19.

But, to answer your question, our mighty fishing industry might benefit. Maybe it can increase its share of national GDP above 0.1%.
There's nothing uniquely talented about this nation, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being sarcastic :)

stevoc

There are 3 potential positives:

We may get some goods slightly cheaper than before.
We might sign freedom of movement arrangements with other countries.
The tories will need to find a new scapegoat.

After 5 years though, that is all I have been able to find. All have potential downsides as well. The list of potential and known negatives is extensive.

I'd love to hear from any who voted brexit if they still think it will be worth it.
Blue Passports innit.

Maticmaker

Wow is this thread still going?

Must be well into 'Barnier time' now on Brexit.... one last boot up the field for remainers, before Boris sits down with Angela to blow the whistle!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This will end up with a no deal Brexit and the UK signing anything thrown to them by the US. The rich will make a killing, the tories would lose the next GE and Labour will end up having to sort this mess with one hand tied behind its back as the country would be owned by the US corporations

The EU should ring fence the EU. God forbid that the US is able to find a loophole in our market through the UK

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Must be well into 'Barnier time' now on Brexit.... one last boot up the field for remainers, before Boris sits down with Angela to blow the whistle!
After four years we're not even at the end of the beginning. This time next year Boris will be pfiffling and pfaffling about the consequences of the inevitable 'no deal' while we have the popcorn out and Brexiters saying 'this isn't want we voted for (even though we knew what we voted for)" trying to explain that it was only really a protest vote against the government which they subsequently voted in yet again , twice, and since the UK left immigration is at its highest level ever.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

What on earth are you on about?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

This thread will be going another 10 years unless the Caf shut down or we all die.

Maticmaker

This thread will be going another 10 years unless the Caf shut down or we all die.
Yes it probably will....Kiddies will be getting this tale told in the dead of night from their parents "Let me tell you a story ....once upon a time in euroland Baron Barnier wanted to keep all the fish for himself, but!!!

Paul the Wolf

Yes it probably will....Kiddies will be getting this tale told in the dead of night from their parents "Let me tell you a story ....once upon a time in euroland Baron Barnier wanted to keep all the fish for himself, but!!!
.... but de Pfeffel pfiffle pfaffle said no and the staple diet became mackerel and chips as he couldn't find anywhere close enough to sell fresh fish.

MoskvaRed

There's nothing uniquely talented about this nation, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being sarcastic :)
Not exactly - I was presenting it in terms of the claims made by Brexiteers (the ideologue, Hannan type rather than the Daily Mail comment section types who just don’t like foreigners).

We are uniquely talented in terms of self-delusion, belief in unicorns and propensity to invoke WWII despite being born long after it finished.

Classical Mechanic

Apropos nothing, that's a really awful Twitter channel. The obnoxious (and juvenile) name doesn't help.
It’s a mixed bag on there. They have some plonkers on but some very interesting people too. Blyth is a Professor of economics used by many media organisations in the UK and US, from Fox to the BBC to The Guardian. He’s not pulled his opinion out of thin air whatever you think of it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It’s a mixed bag on there. They have some plonkers on but some very interesting people too. Blyth is a Professor of economics used by many media organisations in the UK and US, from Fox to the BBC to The Guardian. He’s not pulled his opinion out of thin air whatever you think of it.
That's what seemed so strange. The quality of the guests and interviewees seemed in stark contrast to the channel itself.

Classical Mechanic

That's what seemed so strange. The quality of the guests and interviewees seemed in stark contrast to the channel itself.
Blyth has previously said that Brits voted for Brexit because ‘they’re morons’ but because of Covid the economic landscape has changed. The big issue being the Southern European economies, specifically Italy, who looked doomed to prolonged economic down turns with the social, political and economic knock-on effects that has for the rest of the block.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The awful N-Word is frequently used in the States by Afro-Americans against other Afro-Americans when wanting to insult someone.
Do Black people get a visibly flushed face when they're ranting ??
Would you, personally, ever dream of describing Black people as ' Gammon ' ??
Is it OK then if ' Gammony ' people use the N-Word about Black people because Afro-Americans use it ??
Give it up - don't try to defend the use of anything, and I mean anything, racist.
Gammon is racist language? :lol: :lol: Learn something new every day on the cafe!

Gammon is an insult to Brexiters, whom tended to be older white men. But yeah, I'd also called a BAME Brexit voter a gammon too.

Paul the Wolf

It seems like some sort of agreement will be announced, but no one knows what, so much so that not many are even hazarding guesses. Some sort of interim 'carry on for a while as now' maybe?
That was the transition period which Boris seems determined not to extend. Reading various articles it seems the top aim of the Uk government is to obtain a Canada style FTA, which if the UK satisfies the demands it probably will get and would be useful for a country like Canada on the other side of the Atlantic who are not reliant on smooth custom-free operations . Maybe Boris is planning to up anchor.

buchansleftleg

That was the transition period which Boris seems determined not to extend. Reading various articles it seems the top aim of the Uk government is to obtain a Canada style FTA, which if the UK satisfies the demands it probably will get and would be useful for a country like Canada on the other side of the Atlantic who are not reliant on smooth custom-free operations . Maybe Boris is planning to up anchor.
Whenever things have got sticky at home he has always just shuffled off to some other woman stupid enough to believe his lies...but I think Canada is generally more intelligent than that.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yes whatever is agreed won't be just an extension of the existing transition period, but if it's going to be in July then I'm suggesting It will be something quite similar in reality, and temporary, as anything permanent will take longer to agree.

Paul the Wolf

Yes whatever is agreed won't be just an extension of the existing transition period, but if it's going to be in July then I'm suggesting It will be something quite similar in reality, and temporary, as anything permanent will take longer to agree.
What the government is saying makes no sense anyway, an agreement will take years to finalise and if they do carry on as it is now as you say, which I know sounds logical ,but it costs money, what happens to the customs, documents arrangements etc especially if Boris has got to tell his Brexiters that they still haven't really left.

Furthermore you've got Gove saying they'll be ready in July 2021 with the customs arrangements, he'd better get a move on building the facilities, recruiting the customs officers and training them.

Anyway we'll probably see what happens over the next couple of months until we get the next instalment of utter nonsense.