Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whats the way forward from Brexit so?
Its a terrible idea clearly so where do you go from here?

I think in the short-medium term, some of the issues will end up being ironed out. Not exactly a surprise that such a complex trade agreement, signed so last minute, ends up throwing up some issues businesses can't deal with. Whether they learn to deal with it in time is another matter.

And some of the things that this Brexit-obsessed government has done for optics by can be worked on and reversed in the future (ie Erasmus/ the EU ambassador etc).

Long long term, I can imagine a rejoining of the EU, though not sure how much that is just wishful thinking.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It will get worse. Especially with this government in charge.

Tories admit they're looking at overhauling workers' rights laws after Brexit
Rules governing the 48-hour week, rest breaks and holiday entitlements are being examined by the Government, the new Business Secretary said
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-admit-theyre-looking-overhauling-23347454
This sort of thing always makes me so sad. Race to the bottom, trampling on the little man, valuing GDP over median quality of life - whatever you want to call it, it's just so sad.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Whats the way forward from Brexit so?
Its a terrible idea clearly so where do you go from here?
The only way to solve it is to rejoin the Custom's Union at a minimum. But the UK will not do so because it means they cannot make their own trade deals which they boasted they could do but so far has only added products to the EU negotiated deal with Japan that the Japanese don't want to buy.

The teething problems and the trade deal are complete red herrings. As soon as the UK voted to leave the Customs Union was the start of all their problems which will not go away.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
They are the natural party of Government. There is an entire generation who grew up with Labour in power for 13 years but it is worth restating that was a historical anomaly. That was the longest period of non Tory rule since 1762.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They have made it an art form. Yet whole swathes of the population bend over and scream "Thank you sir, may I have another".
The sway they continue to hold over their delusional flock is something. Very similar to here, it’s just that Trump et al didn’t have the ability to execute such a potentially cataclysmic error like Brexit.

The Firestarter

The sway they continue to hold over their delusional flock is something. Very similar to here, it’s just that Trump et al didn’t have the ability to execute such a potentially cataclysmic error like Brexit.
The equivalent would have been leaving NATO, but I'd guess that would have required action by Congress.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The equivalent would have been leaving NATO, but I'd guess that would have required action by Congress.
Think so as well regarding Congress, but leaving NATO wouldn’t have had the widespread deleterious effects on my country’s overall economy, potentially just a small strata of it (if at all).

Brexit just beggars belief.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was a spectacular act of self harm. It was so obviously a truly stupid idea that it is unbelievable that anyone, much less the majority of those who voted, thought that it was a good idea.
People do fall prey more easily to the bigger lie than the smaller one, especially when a negative -ism or two is tapped directly into.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fruit and veg aisles in February will be fun.
No greenhouses in the UK?

Not that I think the idea makes much sense in a globalized world, but I guess the UK fruit/veggies industry is not very strongly developed, then?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
No greenhouses in the UK?

Not that I think the idea makes much sense in a globalized world, but I guess the UK fruit/veggies industry is not very strongly developed, then?
Of course they have greenhouses but I very much doubt they aren't in use already. I don't think they're sitting around empty just waiting for the UK to want to produce oranges.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sadly for you, over 17 million people did take notice of these idiots.
You are right and I was wrong. Sadly that is the case. I was referring more to Redwood, but cannot ignore the fact that a lot of people accept what they are told. Although I do wonder (hope) if that will be the case in the future.

Balljy

Yet another hidden cost as fees go up five-fold for EU purchases by Mastercard. It'll affect things like hotels for holidays as well as direct purchases.

One interesting line in the article is " And it's not just items crossing borders. The payments for most items bought on Amazon in the UK are processed via its Luxembourg headquarters." I'm sure Amazon will try and sort that out longer term though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55796426

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yet another hidden cost as fees go up five-fold for EU purchases by Mastercard. It'll affect things like hotels for holidays as well as direct purchases.

One interesting line in the article is " And it's not just items crossing borders. The payments for most items bought on Amazon in the UK are processed via its Luxembourg headquarters." I'm sure Amazon will try and sort that out longer term though.

This isn't the Brexit I voted for :(

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I work for an FX company and we pay EUR from an account in London. Spanish banks are now charging fees to receive funds from UK based EUR accounts. We're having to switch to a bank account in Ireland because of it.

So much winning.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Brexiters should start drafting lists.

One list of all the things they can now do now they've left the shackles of the EU that they couldn't do before and another list of all the things they cannot do now because they've left the EU.
I wonder which list will be the longest and will grow as time goes on.

Of course all lists must be factual and not imaginary.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Brexiters should start drafting lists.

One list of all the things they can now do now they've left the shackles of the EU that they couldn't do before and another list of all the things they cannot do now because they've left the EU.
I wonder which list will be the longest and will grow as time goes on.

Of course all lists must be factual and not imaginary.
Imaginary, Brexit. What are you trying to say....
Excellent idea though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We deserve everything we get as a country.
People will read that and not do basic research.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
So, this is how media outlets owned by billionaires continue get working people to vote against their own interests.

Ridiculous concept that we could be "shackled" to workers rights.

Same old Labour! Starmer's MPs vote to keep Brexit Britain shackled to EU employment laws
https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...keir-starmer-labour-vote-48-hour-working-week
What is even more ridiculous is that the story itself is nowhere near as vitriolic as the headline itself. It does contain this beauty though:

Tonight Conservative MP Jane Stevenson said holding a debate on worker's rights now was "like pouring petrol on a bonfire".

Attacking the Labour Party for forcing the debate, she added: "The recent use of these Opposition Day Debates to fuel hate campaigns on social media has been disgraceful.

"I welcome Opposition Day Debates and I certainly welcome scrutiny of Government, but at this time of national crisis with so many people worried about their jobs, their incomes and their health it is like pouring petrol on a bonfire to have this type of aggressive, political campaigning that seeks to mislead about the views members on my side of the chamber."