Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Brexit is bonkers. Won't be just McD and KFC that will be affected.
This is only the beginning. But they were warned.
I've been reading that the real impact will be in January 2022, one year after the official exit. Everyone seems to be sticking to the line that its Covid, but you don't see empty shelves or shortages in other European countries.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I've been reading that the real impact will be in January 2022, one year after the official exit. Everyone seems to be sticking to the line that its Covid, but you don't see empty shelves or shortages in other European countries.
It will be gradual. The UK still haven't started doing the customs checks on goods arriving from the EU. They've put back the UKCA certification to 2023, this will be a major impact few seem aware of.
They've still got the grace period in NI ongoing. Various other grace periods which will all be over by 2023/2024. By then they should finally have realised the big mistake. Hopefully the pandemic will be soon be under control and can no longer be used as an excuse.
But there's always the chance they will break international law and make it even worse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just to be pedantic. We are seeing empty shelves/shortages in Ireland. But only for goods with UK suppliers!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That is bonkers if it’s literally just shortage of drivers
A lot of people just won't take certain jobs even if they need one. Or at least, I know from the Netherlands, for example, that warehouses would have big issues with loading/unloading trucks if migrant workers were to be banned from entering the country all of a sudden. They're happy to take the work that Dutch citizens won't.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A lot of people just won't take certain jobs even if they need one. Or at least, I know from the Netherlands, for example, that warehouses would have big issues with loading/unloading trucks if migrant workers were to be banned from entering the country all of a sudden. They're happy to take the work that Dutch citizens won't.
You are right, it’s the same in the U.K. I would have thought though that with the pandemic effects people would want work, any work

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You are right, it’s the same in the U.K. I would have thought though that with the pandemic effects people would want work, any work
Actually, I'm also reading about Canada and the Netherlands that there's a general shortage of workers. Employment levels are going back to what they were, and those that remain unemployed can't be retooled easily to switch sectors (which is what getting employed would often required). So there aren't even a lot of people desperate for jobs, at least in those countries.

NotThatSoph

I used to work in a warehouse during high school, vacations and weekends. The people there were mainly people my age, some uni students and some old people (I guess some of them were in their 30s, so ancient to me at the time), and the turnover of staff was crazy.

The way it worked was that you'd go get a paper listing what the customer wanted, go collect the stuff in containers and place them outside the loading dock where the trucks would park. I survived by listening to music and podcasts, but man was it boring. The only perks were pretty decent pay with awesome overtime for a job needing no qualifications, and it being a company producing food you got quite a lot of free stuff. Years later I ran into someone who still worked there, and they'd gotten this new system where instead of paper lists an electronic device would say out loud what you were supposed to pick up and where, meaning that you couldn't listen to music anymore. I can't even imagine doing that shit without a distraction, I'd rather off myself honestly (not really, but).

You'd lift thousands of kgs every day as well, I imagine it's not good long term.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

For how much longer will the UK entrust the running of the country by simpletons.
You will already know that as far as Brexit goes, those responsible are not only in denial, but those millions who were taken in by all the lies will never admit there is a problem.
For those who actually understand, the problems are just going to have to play themselves out.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I used to work in a warehouse during high school, vacations and weekends. The people there were mainly people my age, some uni students and some old people (I guess some of them were in their 30s, so ancient to me at the time), and the turnover of staff was crazy.

The way it worked was that you'd go get a paper listing what the customer wanted, go collect the stuff in containers and place them outside the loading dock where the trucks would park. I survived by listening to music and podcasts, but man was it boring. The only perks were pretty decent pay with awesome overtime for a job needing no qualifications, and it being a company producing food you got quite a lot of free stuff. Years later I ran into someone who still worked there, and they'd gotten this new system where instead of paper lists an electronic device would say out loud what you were supposed to pick up and where, meaning that you couldn't listen to music anymore. I can't even imagine doing that shit without a distraction, I'd rather off myself honestly (not really, but).

You'd lift thousands of kgs every day as well, I imagine it's not good long term.
I did a couple of stints in warehouses. Among all the student jobs I had, it's one of the ones I liked best as I was moving around all the time. (God I hated conveyer belt jobs! My years in a supermarket were also fun - luckily I never had to be a cashier.) I didn't listen to music either, I just kept busy and chatted with colleagues.

In the late 90s, I was loading and unloading trucks: stacking boxes on pallets or taking them off pallets and stacking them in the truck. Back then, I was mostly working with people of Ditch origin. I did this again in 2010 after finishing my PhD (most depressing period of my life; the work was nice but I just couldn't shake the 'is this why I studied for ages?!' feeling). At that point, all the loading/unloading was done by work migrants from Eastern Europe, and what I was doing was more like order picking (like your story), plus I got to drive around pallet carts (not forklifts, you need a license for those).

That's just anecdotal of course, but it fits with what I'm reading in the news about employment dynamics in the Netherlands. If they did a hard Nexit, Dutch produce farmers and warehouses (both very big industries for a country the size of the Netherlands) would be really really REALLY screwed for labour.

Paul the Wolf

You will already know that as far as Brexit goes, those responsible are not only in denial, but those millions who were taken in by all the lies will never admit there is a problem.
For those who actually understand, the problems are just going to have to play themselves out.
But when the problems become so obvious that even the dimmest Brexiter can see them, what happens then? There's no way back unless there's a massive change in British politics and the electorate.

Even the nonsense Raab said about the UK joining the CPTPP, five years after the referendum, people are still swallowing the lies and not just Brexiters.
Truss has already claimed free trade agreements with 8 of the 11 CPTPP members. The 3 remaining are Brunei, Malaysia and New Zealand giving a massive export total of $3bn per year, less than what the UK exports to Denmark and this is supposed to be the hope for the UK. It's mindblowing.

Wolverine

Lack of blood test tubes for GPs and the NHS really should be a bigger story I feel than currently is.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But when the problems become so obvious that even the dimmest Brexiter can see them, what happens then? There's no way back unless there's a massive change in British politics and the electorate.

Even the nonsense Raab said about the UK joining the CPTPP, five years after the referendum, people are still swallowing the lies and not just Brexiters.
Truss has already claimed free trade agreements with 8 of the 11 CPTPP members. The 3 remaining are Brunei, Malaysia and New Zealand giving a massive export total of $3bn per year, less than what the UK exports to Denmark and this is supposed to be the hope for the UK. It's mindblowing.
They will then follow the government line and blame the pandemic. Anything but Brexit I am afraid.
Most people attention span, particularly when it comes to something they have little or no interest in like politics, is very limited.
Yes there are gaps on the shelves. And yes, that was predicted by Remain.
But there were gaps on the shelves during the hight of the pandemic. So it is nothing new.

And despite all the systematic lies and abject failures of the Tories, Boris remains firmly in charge.
There is no real appetite for a change. It is going to have to take something massive for there to be any sort of appetite for a change.
We are just going to have to accept that whether we live it or not.
Sorry to sound so negative. But it is what it is. Apathetic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is the driver shortage caused by mostly by Brexit or Covid
If I'm not mistaken its a mix of a lack of "local" drivers in normal time, brexit/covid making it more complicated to cross borders. The lack of local drivers was filled by drivers and companies from the continent which is less the case today.

Withnail

If I'm not mistaken its a mix of a lack of "local" drivers in normal time, brexit/covid making it more complicated to cross borders. The lack of local drivers was filled by drivers and companies from the continent which is less the case today.
While there's a lot going on, we're not having these problems in Ireland so Brexit is a major factor.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Is the driver shortage caused by mostly by Brexit or Covid
Reports say a combination of:
Brexit, tens of thousands less EU drivers.
Pandemic.
Unattractive working conditions.
Increased waiting times to load/unload due to general manpower shortages.
Apparently, the average age of truck drivers in the UK is over 57. And very few younger people are interested in that job.

JPRouve

Scout
While there's a lot going on, we're not having these problems in Ireland so Brexit is a major factor.
Brexit is a factor but it's not the only one. In fact one could argue that the reason you don't have these issues is because of Brexit since it forced the development of direct traffic from the continent to Ireland.

Withnail

Brexit is a factor but it's not the only one. In fact one could argue that the reason you don't have these issues is because of Brexit since it forced the development of direct traffic from the continent to Ireland.
It's only the UK that is affected though.

Are you suggesting Ireland and the UK would both have these issues, if not for Brexit?

JPRouve

Scout
It's only the UK that is affected though.

Are you suggesting Ireland and the UK would both have these issues, if not for Brexit?
I made my point clear and mentioned three reason that affect the UK in a particular way, one of them being brexit. I don't really know what to tell you outside of it, other countries don't necessarily lack drivers or international trucking companies, they aren't affected by the crossing of borders due to brexit and they aren't affected by the crossing of borders due to covid because many countries have agreements on that point.

At no point did I say that Brexit wasn't one of the reason, I specifically named brexit as one of them.

Withnail

I made my point clear and mentioned three reason that affect the UK in a particular way, one of them being brexit. I don't really know what to tell you outside of it, other countries don't necessarily lack drivers or international trucking companies, they aren't affected by the crossing of borders due to brexit and they aren't affected by the crossing of borders due to covid because many countries have agreements on that point.

At no point did I say that Brexit wasn't one of the reason, I specifically named brexit as one of them.
I was interested to hear more about how Ireland was benefiting from Brexit and if the UK would have these problems anyway and you hinted at some insight there.

I was assuming, rightly or wrongly, it was Brexit because as far as I'm aware all things being equal Ireland should have similar problems to the UK.

If I gave you the idea I was being confrontational or argumentive for the sake of it then you have my apologies.

JPRouve

Scout
I was interested to hear more about how Ireland was benefiting from Brexit and if the UK would have these problems anyway and you hinted at some insight there.

I was assuming, rightly or wrongly, it was Brexit because as far as I'm aware all things being equal Ireland should have similar problems to the UK.

If I gave you the idea I was being confrontational or argumentive for the sake of it then you have my apologies.
I see. With Brexit, Ireland is less reliant on british road transport and then ferries from the northern ports. There has been a development of direct transport from the continent to Ireland, so you are less impacted by driver shortages within the UK.

Paul the Wolf

They will then follow the government line and blame the pandemic. Anything but Brexit I am afraid.
Most people attention span, particularly when it comes to something they have little or no interest in like politics, is very limited.
Yes there are gaps on the shelves. And yes, that was predicted by Remain.
But there were gaps on the shelves during the hight of the pandemic. So it is nothing new.

And despite all the systematic lies and abject failures of the Tories, Boris remains firmly in charge.
There is no real appetite for a change. It is going to have to take something massive for there to be any sort of appetite for a change.
We are just going to have to accept that whether we live it or not.
Sorry to sound so negative. But it is what it is. Apathetic.
I understand what you're saying but I'm thinking a bit further down the line.
They can try to blame the problems on the pandemic for a certain amount of time and they'll get away with that.

When the grace periods end and new requirements come in on during the next couple of years and things get progressively more problematic and by then hopefully the pandemic has eased considerably.
It will be far more serious than a few empty shelves. Blaming whatever or whoever will not solve the problem.

But to placate the current concern Raab says, don't worry we will join the CPTPP. That's what the UK has to look forward to? The UK will be lucky to match the trade with the CPTPP countries pre-Brexit nevermind increase it to cover the loss of trade with the EU.

You're right, it's apathy, until one day the country wakes up and realises how much deep sh!t they're in.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

Reports say a combination of:
Brexit, tens of thousands less EU drivers.
Pandemic.
Unattractive working conditions.
Increased waiting times to load/unload due to general manpower shortages.
Apparently, the average age of truck drivers in the UK is over 57. And very few younger people are interested in that job.
But all the above could be true of all countries, except your first line.

There will always be low-paid jobs in all countries, care-workers, factory processing plant workers, packers, fruit and veg pickers, cleaners and the list goes on ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just in case anyone living outside the UK needs to renew their British passport, I've just got my new one today and it took a month from sending the old one to getting the new one. I did an online application using a selfie and one of those picture apps which gives you a code to submit.

I never wanted a nasty blue passport. :(

Maticmaker

I read that the British car industry won't collapse after all, as the Nissan factory in Sunderland is expanding to produce electric cars,
Yes, very true, Britain is ideal place to pioneer electric car uptake, the Island is so small you can drive from anywhere, to anywhere, on one tank of electricity! ;)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lack of blood test tubes for GPs and the NHS really should be a bigger story I feel than currently is.
For sure it should be but not sure this is the right thread for it as I'm pretty sure the supply issues are coming from an American company.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just in case anyone living outside the UK needs to renew their British passport, I've just got my new one today and it took a month from sending the old one to getting the new one. I did an online application using a selfie and one of those picture apps which gives you a code to submit.

I never wanted a nasty blue passport. :(
Happy mine lasts for a good few years yet. Don't want to be thinking of the buffoonery of brexit every time I have to whip my passport out.