Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoskvaRed

Yes, December 2024 is a long, long way away. They seem to be utterly bankrupt though - reduced to “war on woke” and schemes such as Rwanda to provoke the “liberal elite lawyers” while people are struggling to pay for food and heating.

WPMUFC

Oh really?

Brexit: Scrapping Northern Ireland protocol is legal, says attorney general

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61417798
The attorney general's office said previous advice had changed because the agreement between the UK and EU was causing social unrest.
This could allow scrapping checks on goods going from Britain to Northern Ireland, which angers unionists.

In the call on Thursday morning, Ms Truss warned the EU that if it did not show the "requisite flexibility" over the protocol, the UK would have "no choice but to act".
You are the ones that left, you are the ones that agreed the deal. I'm sorry, but how does Britain live with this lot?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Saw a British lorry on the motorway yesterday evening, almost a year to the day since the last one I'd seen. Heading north back to Blighty, heavily laden, struggling up the hills, but it was a removal lorry, British immigrants on their way back maybe from the south of France or Spain.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can you imagine his surprise when someone explains to him what a border is. I can't help but think about dougal trying to determine whether the cows are small or far away.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Some 6 years since the Brexit referendum and still major structural problems with the Get Brexit Done agreement.
Just out of interest, can anyone give a clear example of a benefit to the UK from leaving the EU?

Paul the Wolf

Some 6 years since the Brexit referendum and still major structural problems with the Get Brexit Done agreement.
Just out of interest, can anyone give a clear example of a benefit to the UK from leaving the EU?
Nobody ever explained what benefit there was other than the meaningless slogans.

The UK government are not implementing the extra checks required by the agreement and WTO, they've still got the implementation of the new UK certification , UKCA, which is hardly mentioned now, the loss of equivalence in the financial and services sector and mulitple other procedures over the next few years. There are few trade advantages to obtain and plenty of losses.

The government know Brexit is a disaster which will only get worse, not better, and are grateful for any distraction; DUP helping out at the moment.

Labour hardly challenges the government on Brexit because both Corbyn and Starmer were both Brexiters. Their slogan is "make the most of Brexit" . How do make the most of the most stupid disastrous act of self-harm? What can possbly be done to alleviate the problems they've brought on themselves?

Even the most racist xenophobic numbskull would never have got what they expected. The Uk needs immigrants and immigration is higher now than before the referendum.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nobody ever explained what benefit there was other than the meaningless slogans.

The UK government are not implementing the extra checks required by the agreement and WTO, they've still got the implementation of the new UK certification , UKCA, which is hardly mentioned now, the loss of equivalence in the financial and services sector and mulitple other procedures over the next few years. There are few trade advantages to obtain and plenty of losses.

The government know Brexit is a disaster which will only get worse, not better, and are grateful for any distraction; DUP helping out at the moment.

Labour hardly challenges the government on Brexit because both Corbyn and Starmer were both Brexiters. Their slogan is "make the most of Brexit" . How do make the most of the most stupid disastrous act of self-harm? What can possbly be done to alleviate the problems they've brought on themselves?

Even the most racist xenophobic numbskull would never have got what they expected. The Uk needs immigrants and immigration is higher now than before the referendum.
My thoughts entirely.
I am not trying to re run the Brexit debate. That is in the past.
But it is important that we get to understand whether the so called Brexit opportunities can happen in reality.
I know in my own mind that this is not going to come about.
Primarily because of the totally botched nature of the way the UK signed up to the withdrawal, knowing full well that it was totally impossible to implement. Especially the NI protocol which was never going to work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My thoughts entirely.
But it is important that we get to understand whether the so called Brexit opportunities can happen in reality.
Primarily because of the totally botched nature of the way the UK signed up to the withdrawal, knowing full well that it was totally impossible to implement. Especially the NI protocol which was never going to work.
So you think that the Brexit opportunities were realistic with a different withdrawal agreement?

Paul the Wolf

My thoughts entirely.
Whether one was for Brexit or against Brexit, what can possibly be done to get the UK out of the mess? I don't see anything. And it's not something that can be reversed.
The illusion that was given that the UK didn't trade with nations outside the EU should have killed the "global trading opportunities" rubbish before the referendum but nobody wanted to listen to people who actually knew what they were talking about. With NI - if the UK left the EU CU then there has to be border, it's either in the sea or on the island of Ireland. The protocol is the best solution, it works, the DUP don't want it to work because they feel separated from GB but they shouldn't have wanted Brexit in that case.

There is no scenario where Brexit could be good for the UK, no matter what form a withdrawal agreement or trade agreement would take. They've voluntarily become a third country in relation to their closest neighbours and main trading partners. I will never get over this.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Whether one was for Brexit or against Brexit, what can possibly be done to get the UK out of the mess? I don't see anything. And it's not something that can be reversed.
The illusion that was given that the UK didn't trade with nations outside the EU should have killed the "global trading opportunities" rubbish before the referendum but nobody wanted to listen to people who actually knew what they were talking about. With NI - if the UK left the EU CU then there has to be border, it's either in the sea or on the island of Ireland. The protocol is the best solution, it works, the DUP don't want it to work because they feel separated from GB but they shouldn't have wanted Brexit in that case.

There is no scenario where Brexit could be good for the UK, no matter what form a withdrawal agreement or trade agreement would take. They've voluntarily become a third country in relation to their closest neighbours and main trading partners. I will never get over this.
It's a permanent set-back and the only way the UK doesn't fall even further behind will ultimately be re-joining but it will never get back the position it had and will be forced to make sacrifices.

It's either that or the EU collapses and everyone else descends to Britain's level in the chaos.

The former of what I wrote seems more likely. "global Britain" levelling up to oven-ready deals is hogwash.

Fingeredmouse

My thoughts entirely.
The logical conclusion of this post is that the opportunities of Brexit actually potentially exist (which is by no means established) and that a different agreement could have realised the aims of the Leave collective. I don't think you mean that though as I'm pretty sure you, quite rightly, see a harmonious and successful Brexit as an impossibility.

Paul the Wolf

It's a permanent set-back and the only way the UK doesn't fall even further behind will ultimately be re-joining but it will never get back the position it had and will be forced to make sacrifices.

It's either that or the EU collapses and everyone else descends to Britain's level in the chaos.

The former of what I wrote seems more likely. "global Britain" levelling up to oven-ready deals is hogwash.
In the foreseeable future I don't see the UK rejoining the EU. Firstly the EU would never accept them back until the UK radically changes its parliamentary system and attitude and accept vastly inferior terms as you said. Not in my lifetime in any case.

Throughout the world groups of nations are all in similar types of alliances and unions and communities with their nearest neighbours and partners. Brexit makes zero sense.

Paul the Wolf

'We can't predict things like wars' - Bank of England governor responds to claims from MPs it has messed up inflation forecast
Andrew Bailey, the Bank of England governor, is giving evidence now.

Mel Stride, the committee chair, starts by putting it to Bailey that the committee has failed to gets its inflation forecast right. (See 3.19pm.)

Bailey says that 80% of the overshoot of the inflation target is caused by energy and tradable goods.

He says it is not for the Bank of England to forecast wars.

We can’t predict things like wars ... that’s not really in our remit.
He also says that to have a series of shocks to the economy like the ones that the UK has experienced, Covid and then the Ukraine war, is “almost unprecedented”.

Brexiter Tory MP's and Brexiter Bank of England Governor - don't mention the B word!!!!

MoskvaRed

'We can't predict things like wars' - Bank of England governor responds to claims from MPs it has messed up inflation forecast
Andrew Bailey, the Bank of England governor, is giving evidence now.

Mel Stride, the committee chair, starts by putting it to Bailey that the committee has failed to gets its inflation forecast right. (See 3.19pm.)

Bailey says that 80% of the overshoot of the inflation target is caused by energy and tradable goods.

He says it is not for the Bank of England to forecast wars.

He also says that to have a series of shocks to the economy like the ones that the UK has experienced, Covid and then the Ukraine war, is “almost unprecedented”.

Brexiter Tory MP's and Brexiter Bank of England Governor - don't mention the B word!!!!
Did the committee push him on this point or did he get away with being economical with the truth?

Paul the Wolf

Did the committee push him on this point or did he get away with being economical with the truth?

Below is the whole meeting but it lasts 1h45m.
What I've listened to it's blamed on Ukraine war and Covid, furlough, labour market, not heard one single mention of Brexit, not even for the shortage of labour. All reports seem to say the same.

You're welcome to listen to the whole thing:)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So you think that the Brexit opportunities were realistic with a different withdrawal agreement?
No I most certainly don't. Because I have never believed that there were meaningful Brexit opportunities.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Yes. That is the reality of the situation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The logical conclusion of this post is that the opportunities of Brexit actually potentially exist (which is by no means established) and that a different agreement could have realised the aims of the Leave collective. I don't think you mean that though as I'm pretty sure you, quite rightly, see a harmonious and successful Brexit as an impossibility.
Yes indeed. You have described it far better than I.
What I was attempting to say was that were there any opportunities, they ought to have become apparent by now.... and they have not which was my point.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just listening to Boris moaning that the problem with the Irish Protocol is that he and his government did not expect the EU to implement it to the letter of the agreement.
So, it is yet again the fault of the EU and not the UK
Anyway, he says that he can fix it.
Got to tell you Boris, you are the problem. Not the EU or NI.
You negotiated it and then told everyone that it was a wonderful thing you had agreed.

Paul the Wolf

Johnson on Sky News: "Parts of the Northern Ireland economy are going really, really well.."

"We need to change the Protocol to sort out some really minor issues"

The lying duplicitous load of charlatans are going to destroy the UK.

Whatever the EU do will never be enough. They know it's going to get much worse. Your Brexit lies are being found out. Eventually the people may finally wake up.

A nice trade war should sort them out for good.

Superden

Just listening to Boris moaning that the problem with the Irish Protocol is that he and his government did not expect the EU to implement it to the letter of the agreement.
So, it is yet again the fault of the EU and not the UK
Anyway, he says that he can fix it.
Got to tell you Boris, you are the problem. Not the EU or NI.
You negotiated it and then told everyone that it was a wonderful thing you had agreed.
Kwasi katang was on tv complaining that the EU was at fault for taking a legalese approach...wtf does that even mean...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Kwasi katang was on tv complaining that the EU was at fault for taking a legalese approach...wtf does that even mean...
Just means that the EU are working in accordance with the Irish Protocol.
Shock horror.
What does the dim twat expect. It was Boris Idea.
The simple fact is that he didn't understand what he had agreed to and never intended to operate it anyway.

Paul the Wolf

EU being 'overzealous' with checks under Northern Ireland protocol, says Rachel Reeves
Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, told Times Radio this morning that she thought the EU was being “overzealous” in the checks it wanted on goods entering Northern Ireland from Britain under the Northern Ireland protocol. But she said she wanted this resolved through negotiation, and not by the UK suspending parts of the protocol. She said:

I think the EU are being overzealous in the checks.
There are goods that are destined for market in Northern Ireland, never going to leave Northern Ireland, never going to get into the single market, which is what the EU say is their worry.
For those goods that are just moving into Northern Ireland then I just don’t think we need the level of checks the EU are pursuing.
But the way to resolve this is not through megaphone diplomacy, it’s not unilaterally ripping up the protocol, it’s by working in partnership to resolve these very real issues that do exist.
UK politicians on both sides have been clueless throughout the last six years. It will never change. They are just too thick to understand.

Abizzz

EU being 'overzealous' with checks under Northern Ireland protocol, says Rachel Reeves
Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, told Times Radio this morning that she thought the EU was being “overzealous” in the checks it wanted on goods entering Northern Ireland from Britain under the Northern Ireland protocol. But she said she wanted this resolved through negotiation, and not by the UK suspending parts of the protocol. She said:

UK politicians on both sides have been clueless throughout the last six years. It will never change. They are just too thick to understand.
They aren't too thick to understand it. They know their electorate doesn't care about being lied to, or being represented by liars. After 6 years this can hardly be blamed on the politicians anymore.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

If Labour tell the truth about the Protocol they will be accused of wanting to undo Brexit and they will make further losses to the Conservatives.

Everyone with half a brain understands the truth. We are reaping the harvest of blaming the EU for everything that went wrong with the country for nearly 50 years, as our politicians found an easy scapegoat and didn't want to take responsibility.

Paul the Wolf

They aren't too thick to understand it. They know their electorate doesn't care about being lied to, or being represented by liars. After 6 years this can hardly be blamed on the politicians anymore.
They don't care true, but they definitely do not understand either. If they were faced with people who did understand they would be torn apart. Labour have had so many opportunities to rip the Conservatives to shreds over Brexit but partly because half of them want Brexit as well and partly because they have no clue how the EU works. Starmer and Corbyn were fake remainers but there were genuine remainers who also didn't understand what was being voted for. Of all the politicians who spoke about Brexit from either side, Labour, Tories, Leavers or Remainers ,over the past six years, none of them convinced me they actually knew what they were talking about.

Paul the Wolf

If Labour tell the truth about the Protocol they will be accused of wanting to undo Brexit and they will make further losses to the Conservatives.

Everyone with half a brain understands the truth. We are reaping the harvest of blaming the EU for everything that went wrong with the country for nearly 50 years, as our politicians found an easy scapegoat and didn't want to take responsibility.
I know the EU have been the scapegoat ever since the UK joined back in 1973; They may have a vague idea how it works but what is the point of saying the EU is overzealous, she doesn't understand why there are checks? There is no democracy in the UK if the sole and only purpose is to get elected and abandon all principles.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I know the EU have been the scapegoat ever since the UK joined back in 1973; They may have a vague idea how it works but what is the point of saying the EU is overzealous, she doesn't understand why there are checks? There is no democracy in the UK if the sole and only purpose is to get elected and abandon all principles.
Labour need to win back the Red Wall seats, and as a result they will avoid doing anything to upset them, knowing they voted to Leave. They also know that the Government have few ideas, but one of them is to fall back on getting Brexit done and trying to re-run the 2019 election. Which is why you won't see Labour criticising Brexit in any substantive way.

And yes, I agree that all three major political parties who have been in power this century have shown that they will abandon principles in order to get elected.

Paul the Wolf

Labour need to win back the Red Wall seats, and as a result they will avoid doing anything to upset them, knowing they voted to Leave. They also know that the Government have few ideas, but one of them is to fall back on getting Brexit done and trying to re-run the 2019 election. Which is why you won't see Labour criticising Brexit in any substantive way.

And yes, I agree that all three major political parties who have been in power this century have shown that they will abandon principles in order to get elected.
I get your point, but it's one thing criticising Brexit and another saying what she said. What she should be doing is ensuring that the goods intended for Northern Ireland are labelled for Northern Ireland only, that the Conservative government puts in place the necessary procedures to ensure that there is no danger that prohibited goods enter the EU; she's got it all wrong because she doesn't understand why the EU need the checks. You can't negotiate something that's not negotiable.

There is still the impression that the EU are upset the UK left and want to punish the UK. It was a pity but it's done, there's no going back. If the UK want Brexit they can have it but they have to live with what they voted for and they don't seem to want to.

Paul the Wolf

Staggering poll shows 94% of readers believe ‘we haven’t got the Brexit we voted for'
BREXIT promises have not been delivered, according to a new poll of Express.co.uk readers.
By NATALIE CROOKHAM
13:40, Mon, May 16, 2022 | UPDATED: 14:03, Mon, May 16, 2022

Be interested to know exactly what they thought Brexit would look like.

In another poll - 100% of readers didn't have a f**king clue what they voted for.