Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarrou

Rees-Mogg is the biggest cnut in UK politics

actually he might be the biggest cnut in the UK

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

I think that the number of Rees-Mogg cult supporters has surely decreased noticeably since he became part of the government and therefore the establishment (the likes of Desmond Swayne became the new darling of many of those people with his speeches attacking COVID restrictions), or maybe even since he voted for May's withdrawal agreement during the 3rd meaningful vote after previously being the single biggest critic of it from a right-wing perspective within Westminster.

But still the fact that has been able to con so many people into thinking that he has actually knows what he is talking about, purely because has a very posh accent and knows Latin declensions, has been astonishing and infuriating at the same time. During the period when Brexit was all-consuming, there were videos of him debating people on the opposite side of the fence that were put up on YouTube. They'd make constructive arguments often drawing on industry expertise, while he'd just repeat empty buzzwords and phrases over and over again, i.e. 'project fear', 'stop crying wolf' etc. The comments sections would be full of messages saying that he completely schooled and outsmarted the other person.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Reminds me of the smarmy school prefect who used to love reporting you to the headmaster. And grew up to lead the university debating society. And never changed.

Totally repugnant.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

He gets bored with everything, Covid's a thing of the past, 'Ukraine fatigue' is him bored with pretending to be Churchill. Brexit - where do you go from here, trash the NI Protocol and that's about it, no deals, no sunlit uplands, all a bit boring. Have a good old laugh at the British people and see what we can stir up next to take the p!ss out of them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He gets bored with everything, Covid's a thing of the past, 'Ukraine fatigue' is him bored with pretending to be Churchill. Brexit - where do you go from here, trash the NI Protocol and that's about it, no deals, no sunlit uplands, all a bit boring. Have a good old laugh at the British people and see what we can stir up next to take the p!ss out of them.
Thought you were better than your last sentence if I am honest Paul.
You must realise that there is a difference between the PM and his government and the majority of the British people.
Yes he was voted in by a huge majority. But there specific reasons for that.
And yes the (small majority) voted for Brexit. And again for specific reasons.
But in the main, British people are no different from many others.
Trying to make the best out of a bad job in spite of what the government does or does not do.

Paul the Wolf

You must realise that there is a difference between the PM and his government and the majority of the British people.
Trying to make the best out of a bad job in spite of what the government does or does not do.
I should have put the last sentence in inverted commas. I meant that's what's going through Johnson's mind.
He's not interested in anything for long periods of time. Always looking for the next distraction.

He treats the electorate with contempt and doesn't care at all, about anything other than himself and the power. If there is a sense of discontent he'll play the patriotic card and flag-waving. It's worked so far.
The common theme of my points is when will the public wake up and realise they're being lied to 24/7?
Before moving on they've got to get rid of this government because it's not going to get better until they've gone. The really bad parts of Brexit are still to come.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I should have put the last sentence in inverted commas. I meant that's what's going through Johnson's mind.
He's not interested in anything for long periods of time. Always looking for the next distraction.

He treats the electorate with contempt and doesn't care at all, about anything other than himself and the power. If there is a sense of discontent he'll play the patriotic card and flag-waving. It's worked so far.
The common theme of my points is when will the public wake up and realise they're being lied to 24/7?
Before moving on they've got to get rid of this government because it's not going to get better until they've gone. The really bad parts of Brexit are still to come.
That is what I thought and understand.
A significant number of people have woken up to what he is like and what he is doing. Recent elections show that.
As have a significant number of his own MPs, over 40%.

His party is a reflection of their leadership.
Full of arrogance, incompetence and scandal and sleaze.

Without a focal point, it is the workers who are prepared to go on strike against financial inequality and the cost of living. And the fact that the public mainly support them is relevant.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I still find it bizarre that the most votes for a party in a General Election was for Major in 1992.

Blair's landslides came from Tories staying home, but given the growth in the UK's population over the past 30 years the fact that Johnson in 2019 got 100,000 votes fewer than Major is crazy.

It perhaps underscores the flaws in FPTP.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I still find it bizarre that the most votes for a party in a General Election was for Major in 1992.

Blair's landslides came from Tories staying home, but given the growth in the UK's population over the past 30 years the fact that Johnson in 2019 got 100,000 votes fewer than Major is crazy.

It perhaps underscores the flaws in FPTP.
That is actually quite interesting. Never thought of it that way.
So many people are completely disillusioned with politics, the police and those in positions of power. And for very good reasons.
Boris Johnson has made public apathy significantly worse because of how he behaves.
The turnout at the next GE will be interesting to see.

Frosty

Remember, civil servants are at the same time thwarting Brexit by preventing ministers from carrying out the will of the people, whilst also being shirkers who are avoiding work by staying home.

Paul the Wolf

What does a pro-EU voter do in the UK?

Tories view was all about retaining power in Westminster and Johnson was all about becoming PM.
Labour's approach to Brexit has been catastrophic from the start especially Corbyn and Starmer - trying to please everyone and pleasing nobody

By what Starmer has said today he still thinks he can cherry pick the bits he likes and I've had the impression since before the referendum that he doesn't understand Brexit.

So having a reality check.
Brexit was always going to be terrible for the UK but Labour voted for triggering A50, voted for the deal and nobody will ever convince me that either Corbyn nor Starmer were ever real remainers. If they were, they seriously messed up in 2016.

So now what, there is no chance the UK will rejoin the EU in the next twenty to thirty years by which time all the current politicians will have long since departed.

Starmer trying to be a mouse and trying to polish a turd is not going to help anyone, yet again.

I don't know what the answer is but Scottish independence and a united Ireland looks more and more likely by the day.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A lot of people ask why so many folk in Scotland vote for the SNP. Historically I was a Labour voter but even though the SNP are far from perfect, at the very least they're not incompetent morons who can't read the fecking room.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A lot of people ask why so many folk in Scotland vote for the SNP. Historically I was a Labour voter but even though the SNP are far from perfect, at the very least they're not incompetent morons who can't read the fecking room.
How economically leftist is Scotland, and the SNP? I mean, Labour, like many parties that were properly economically left in the 70s, have been swept up by the neoliberalism of the 80s and are only a shell of themselves in this sense. If you actually care about socioeconomic equity, they're really not a good option anymore.

Frosty

Starmer confirms he is absolutely clueless about Brexit. How did this guy become Head of the CPS and DPP?
Shakes head in disbelief.
The thing is I don't think he is. There are even those in Government who know and accept the reality that Brexit is a disaster.

But we live in weird political times, and instead of showing leadership the majority of politicians now will come up with all sorts of half-brained solutions to make the deal 'work', all the time waiting for some mythical point in the future where the populace will the elected representatives to rejoin.

Paul the Wolf

The thing is I don't think he is. There are even those in Government who know and accept the reality that Brexit is a disaster.

But we live in weird political times, and instead of showing leadership the majority of politicians now will come up with all sorts of half-brained solutions to make the deal 'work', all the time waiting for some mythical point in the future where the populace will the elected representatives to rejoin.
But he's been like this since the beginning. Remember the six point plan of unicorns.
If he thinks this will invite voters to vote for Labour, the Brexiters will still vote for Tories, the remainers will have given up hope and probably vote LibDems or Greens and the Scots will back the SNP for independence.
He's just talking absolute nonsense.

No the Uk's not going to rejoin the EU any time soon but this really is pathetic.

Frosty

But he's been like this since the beginning. Remember the six point plan of unicorns.
If he thinks this will invite voters to vote for Labour, the Brexiters will still vote for Tories, the remainers will have given up hope and probably vote LibDems or Greens and the Scots will back the SNP for independence.
He's just talking absolute nonsense.

No the Uk's not going to rejoin the EU any time soon but this really is pathetic.
I agree!

No one can look at this and think everything is fine:

The next GE will probably be based on everything except Brexit, when that is the one thing we need to discuss.

stevoc

I agree!

No one can look at this and think everything is fine:

The next GE will probably be based on everything except Brexit, when that is the one thing we need to discuss.
Jesus £100b per year?

I suppose Boris won't be putting that on a bus anytime soon.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
So here we go: cherry-picking party in blue vs drifting-toward-Iceland in red? What will happen next??

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How economically leftist is Scotland, and the SNP? I mean, Labour, like many parties that were properly economically left in the 70s, have been swept up by the neoliberalism of the 80s and are only a shell of themselves in this sense. If you actually care about socioeconomic equity, they're really not a good option anymore.
Straw poll but like my friends, if it was me then I'd increase taxes on inheritance and use the money to reopen many of our closed libraries and community centers, support the NHS more and help those in society that can't support themselves. And I say that as someone who is going to inherit quite a lot (hopefully not for a billion years). But realistically it's not enough, and the SNP have always been cosy to big business, especially oil, gas and renewables anyway so they know who has the real power in the world. They're also elitist when it comes to education (university good, college bad).

I don't think they're as left as people think. Sure, free medical prescriptions is usually the big headline that you get but like I said they're rather elitist when it comes to another public service; higher education. Public services have been cut quite drastically and even though the usual excuse is that it's a problem caused by Westminster there doesn't seem to be much support from Holyrood.

The real support actually comes from the members of parliament themselves. Our MP and MSP (Scottish parliament) are actively involved in local initiatives and start ups that rely on public donations. It's nice to see but it feels like a sticking plaster.

This is just my opinion but, regardless of their socioeconomic status, where the SNP seem to win against the other parties is on trust. When Sturgeon says that a richer Scotland would mean better funded public services then I would actually believe her, rather than scoff like I do when Johnson says his lies. I'd question how we're suddenly going to be better off, but I'd be confident that the money would actually be used to improve things rather than go in her back pocket.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Straw poll but like my friends, if it was me then I'd increase taxes on inheritance and use the money to reopen many of our closed libraries and community centers, support the NHS more and help those in society that can't support themselves. And I say that as someone who is going to inherit quite a lot (hopefully not for a billion years). But realistically it's not enough, and the SNP have always been cosy to big business, especially oil, gas and renewables anyway so they know who has the real power in the world. They're also elitist when it comes to education (university good, college bad).

I don't think they're as left as people think. Sure, free medical prescriptions is usually the big headline that you get but like I said they're rather elitist when it comes to another public service; higher education. Public services have been cut quite drastically and even though the usual excuse is that it's a problem caused by Westminster there doesn't seem to be much support from Holyrood.

The real support actually comes from the members of parliament themselves. Our MP and MSP (Scottish parliament) are actively involved in local initiatives and start ups that rely on public donations. It's nice to see but it feels like a sticking plaster.

This is just my opinion but, regardless of their socioeconomic status, where the SNP seem to win against the other parties is on trust. When Sturgeon says that a richer Scotland would mean better funded public services then I would actually believe her, rather than scoff like I do when Johnson says his lies. I'd question how we're suddenly going to be better off, but I'd be confident that the money would actually be used to improve things rather than go in her back pocket.
Interesting - thanks! It sounds like the SNP isn't actually very different from Labour, but just havent burned their credit over the years.

Those engaged local MPs is a great thing btw. I hate First Past The Post with a passion, but my replacement wouldn't be the Dutch kind of proportional system, where every vote goes into national party buckets and those parties decide on their top candidates - who more often tend to be from central places. I'd prefer mixed-member proportional representation, where you continue to have truly local representation.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To be honest I didn't pay much attention to Andrew Marr when he worked for the BBC, but I have been enjoying his LBC contributions (and he clearly enjoys having the freedom to say what he thinks):

This was an excellent piece, and sums up the dilemma of the people inhabiting the fantasy Brexit world of unicorns.

Also the Sun describing potential and long overdue electoral reform and a move to PR as a dagger through the heart of the Tory party, shows how much they are panicking. I've always though unless you're a paid up Tory party member or devoted Tory supporter who'd vote for them at any election regardless of their policies or actions, you'd have to be pretty daft to want to keep FPTP. That includes ridiculous Labour MPs like John Spellar who have repeated the lie that PR was rejected in the 2011 referendum when it wasn't even on the ballot paper.

Last edited: