Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Brexit happened because more people voted to leave than stay. Yet everyone you ask claim they never voted for it, funny that huh?
More appropriately, people will say they 'never voted to leave', but will omit they actually never voted at all. The idiots don't realise if you don't vote on important matters like this then YOU voted for it.

ShinjiNinja26

More appropriately, people will say they 'never voted to leave', but will omit they actually never voted at all. The idiots don't realise if you don't vote on important matters like this then YOU voted for it.
Aye they’re the worst. Think they can absolve themselves of any responsibility. As you say if you didn’t vote against it then you voted for it, just by doing nothing.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Can we have another poll? Who thinks that Brexit’s a success so far or not?

Where are all these pro Brexit posters in this gone from 2016? Why aren’t they posting?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The absolute bull shit and idiocy people will swallow. So called intelligent people . Yet we’re not allowed to say the reality is that people only voted for it because they’re chauvinistic xenophobes.

MoskvaRed

So 32% must still think it’s going swimmingly (in coastlines now full of sewage).

It was always likely that there would be a swing back in favour of reality (plus older voters dying off ). The problem is, unlike the US where they could voteTrump out of office after 4 years, there is no obvious way of fixing this mess in the short-to-medium term.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So 32% must still think it’s going swimmingly (in coastlines now full of sewage).

It was always likely that there would be a swing back in favour of reality (plus older voters dying off ). The problem is, unlike the US where they could voteTrump out of office after 4 years, there is no obvious way of fixing this mess in the short-to-medium term.
People are still being brainwashed by the media and the government , added to the inability to admit they were wrong, added to Labour barely mentioning it and Starmer's going to make it work.

The problem is there is no way out of it other than aligning as quickly as possible with the EU and rejoining possibly decades in the future. Furthermore it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's barely started. A decision that was taken far too lightly at the time.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
People are still being brainwashed by the media and the government , added to the inability to admit they were wrong, added to Labour barely mentioning it and Starmer's going to make it work.

The problem is there is no way out of it other than aligning as quickly as possible with the EU and rejoining possibly decades in the future. Furthermore it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's barely started. A decision that was taken far too lightly at the time.
Starmer is talking like a typical politician.
He was very much against Brexit and I am sure he knows even more now it was wrong to leave.
But he knows that he has to say that Labour is going to make it work. Realistically what else can he say.
The decision was taken not just too lightly, but based on lies, illusions, delusions, bravado coupled with racism and a healthy dose of rank stupidity.
Democracy at its worst.

Paul the Wolf

Starmer is talking like a typical politician.
He was very much against Brexit and I am sure he knows even more now it was wrong to leave.
But he knows that he has to say that Labour is going to make it work. Realistically what else can he say.
The decision was taken not just too lightly, but based on lies, illusions, delusions, bravado coupled with racism and a healthy dose of rank stupidity.
Democracy at its worst.
I agree with the last part but I was not at all convinced by Corbyn or Starmer at the time of the referendum (or since) but saying he's going to make Brexit work won't help either.

It means he either believes it can work which is impossible or he's trying to con the voters into voting for him and then completely change as soon as he's in and start aiming to rejoin which even if it was started now will take at least twenty years. In between time the UK will pull further and further away from the EU by trashing all the laws.

Take the UKCA standards certification. Is Starmer supportive of this or will he scrap it? It should be in place before the next election as will lots of other things. Will he reverse all what is happening over the next couple of years?

Starmer did not understand the EU where he thought he could agree to the withdrawal agreement provided the UK "keep the same benefits" - then a confirmation referendum after spending years discussing it. Sorry, I don't rate or trust him at all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with the last part but I was not at all convinced by Corbyn or Starmer at the time of the referendum (or since) but saying he's going to make Brexit work won't help either.

It means he either believes it can work which is impossible or he's trying to con the voters into voting for him and then completely change as soon as he's in and start aiming to rejoin which even if it was started now will take at least twenty years. In between time the UK will pull further and further away from the EU by trashing all the laws.

Take the UKCA standards certification. Is Starmer supportive of this or will he scrap it? It should be in place before the next election as will lots of other things. Will he reverse all what is happening over the next couple of years?

Starmer did not understand the EU where he thought he could agree to the withdrawal agreement provided the UK "keep the same benefits" - then a confirmation referendum after spending years discussing it. Sorry, I don't rate or trust him at all.
I dearly wish I understood some of the issues regarding international trade to a similar level that you clearly do.
But I don't, unfortunately.
It is a hugely complex subject. Far too complex for the average person.

Nevertheless, we are where we are. We can not simply throw in the towel.
The future of the UK depends on increasing our international trade. And those who are in positions of power will have to find a way of doing that.
And hopefully some of them will understand the issues to the same level as you.... hopefully.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
There is an easy fix to increase international trade. Just lower your standard of living by 50 % :D

Paul the Wolf

I dearly wish I understood some of the issues regarding international trade to a similar level that you clearly do.
But I don't, unfortunately.
It is a hugely complex subject. Far too complex for the average person.

Nevertheless, we are where we are. We can not simply throw in the towel.
The future of the UK depends on increasing our international trade. And those who are in positions of power will have to find a way of doing that.
And hopefully some of them will understand the issues to the same level as you.... hopefully.
I wouldn't understand the field you worked in.

How could anyone hold a referendum expecting people to understand how the economy and trade works. I wouldn't expect them to but they wouldn't listen to people who did know what they were talking about.
Farage and Johnson and the rest certainly didn't - but they didn't care either . They knew that nationalism and xenophobia would win.

The biggest problem was that the Brexiters gave the impression that the UK didn't trade with the world outside of the EU. I spent most of my working life doing just that.

All Brexit did was significantly reduce the trade with their main trade partners, the EU and damage some of the trade with the rest of the world. As I've said before, a trade deal with the USA was the ultimate target but a trade deal with the USA would barely increase the trade that already existed. There are no new trade deals that are going to make much difference. The main deal was with the EU and always will be.

The UKCA will make international trade worse and more difficult. The only way to get UK back to increasing their international trade is to admit they were wrong and start building towards where they were with the EU but I can't see that happening for quite some time and certainly not until Labour have a leader that dares to point out the problems that Brexit is causing.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I wouldn't understand the field you worked in.

How could anyone hold a referendum expecting people to understand how the economy and trade works. I wouldn't expect them to but they wouldn't listen to people who did know what they were talking about.
Farage and Johnson and the rest certainly didn't - but they didn't care either . They knew that nationalism and xenophobia would win.

The biggest problem was that the Brexiters gave the impression that the UK didn't trade with the world outside of the EU. I spent most of my working life doing just that.

All Brexit did was significantly reduce the trade with their main trade partners, the EU and damage some of the trade with the rest of the world. As I've said before, a trade deal with the USA was the ultimate target but a trade deal with the USA would barely increase the trade that already existed. There are no new trade deals that are going to make much difference. The main deal was with the EU and always will be.

The UKCA will make international trade worse and more difficult. The only way to get UK back to increasing their international trade is to admit they were wrong and start building towards where they were with the EU but I can't see that happening for quite some time and certainly not until Labour have a leader that dares to point out the problems that Brexit is causing.
It is clear Starmer is trying to say whatever "middle England" thinks is right to try and get elected. Which presumably means he will only change his tune on Brexit after the majority of the country realise it is bad news. The tail wagging the dog. No leadership.

Paul the Wolf

It is clear Starmer is trying to say whatever "middle England" thinks is right to try and get elected. Which presumably means he will only change his tune on Brexit after the majority of the country realise it is bad news. The tail wagging the dog. No leadership.
I agree. This is not the way. There needs to be strong leadership and much much less of the lies.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I hate what stupid people did to the UK. There was never any reason to vote to leave, none whatsoever. We had plenty of "control", Britain has its own laws, it's as if the leavers thought we were some kind of puppet state.

If we ever get back in (and it won't be in my lifetime), we'll be at the bottom of the pile with none of the perks we had before.

Paul the Wolf

So disingenous to say it happened 6 years ago.
Full Brexit hasn't even started yet. Still all the grace periods to end over the next few years. Then the consequences .

Strange that the government always hark back to what Labour did over twelve years ago but want everyone to forget Brexit which began less than two years ago.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I hate what stupid people did to the UK. There was never any reason to vote to leave, none whatsoever. We had plenty of "control", Britain has its own laws, it's as if the leavers thought we were some kind of puppet state.

If we ever get back in (and it won't be in my lifetime), we'll be at the bottom of the pile with none of the perks we had before.
I too hate what has happened over Brexit.
It was and will continue to be a self inflicted disaster.
And a really stupid decision.
There have been and will not be anything tangible as a benefit.

But as you say, there is no going back. And even if it was wanted by the electorate, why would the EU allow us back.

Maticmaker

But as you say, there is no going back. And even if it was wanted by the electorate, why would the EU allow us back.
@Buster15 . You and the other 'Lets rerun Brexit' red-cafe regulars will have to convince Paul the Wolf to come back to the UK and lead the 're-joiners' campaign ;)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
@Buster15 . You and the other 'Lets rerun Brexit' red-cafe regulars will have to convince Paul the Wolf to come back to the UK and lead the 're-joiners' campaign ;)
I have tried to make it clear in many of my posts that we have to move on and deal with the outcome of Brexit.
In this instance, I was responding to a post that mentioned going back in (to the EU).

Paul (Pogba) the Wolf would have been someone who could have spelt out the practical dangers to trade of leaving.
But the truth is that he would not have been listened to by those who had made up their minds based on nothing but an idealistic fantasy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Maticmaker

Your posts always read as agreeing with brexit and will continue no matter what
My agreement with Brexit (such as it is) was that given what was happening politically and socially in the UK, before and immediately prior to the years preceding the referendum, in my opinion made it somewhat inevitable that 'to leave' would be the outcome. However, leaving an economic community in which we were a main player was a form of madness, equally remaining in a (growing ever-closer) political union i.e., eventually becoming a United States of Europe, was not in the UK's best interest either, for all sorts of reasons, predominately strategic defense planning, as two world wars have taught us.

Therefore, the economic price of leaving is therefore high, as @Paul the Wolf and @Buster15 continually remind us. I would like us to be able to do a deal with the EU on economic grounds but whilst we have a Tory government that is highly unlikely, although Starmer is it seems making some overtures, in an effort to make Brexit work.

The 'up-side' (if you think there is one) of our current post Brexit position is that we are now going to have to drastically change our economic strategy (for growth) to lessen the reliance on Banking and the City of London money-making and get back to designing, developing and manufacturing high technology/high value products, (whilst there are still people around who know what a 'micron' is) especially those products and processes which underpin a green future. For this we need a first-class system of education, from 'early years' provision, through primary secondary and tertiary (14-19) education, into Higher Education with return to learn opportunities for anyone at any age. The government has to invest in and to organise this, and also industry has to adapt and invest in the hardware, also we all have to pay in enough money and resources so that every person can achieve their own potential in their own sphere of interest.

It's going to be a long hard road, the effects of Covid, the War in Ukraine as well as fallout from Brexit itself will all put a drag on things.

I am not cheering at all, but I am hopefully that we can at last start to learn from the past!

I have tried to make it clear in many of my posts that we have to move on and deal with the outcome of Brexit.
In this instance, I was responding to a post that mentioned going back in (to the EU).

Paul (Pogba) the Wolf would have been someone who could have spelt out the practical dangers to trade of leaving.
But the truth is that he would not have been listened to by those who had made up their minds based on nothing but an idealistic fantasy.
Yes, spot on, no matter how much moaning about the past goes on it solves nothing, the past is the past, we have to deal with it!

You are right, nothing would have really altered the Brexit outcome, given the state of play leading up to the referendum.

Paul the Wolf

My agreement with Brexit (such as it is) was that given what was happening politically and socially in the UK, before and immediately prior to the years preceding the referendum, in my opinion made it somewhat inevitable that 'to leave' would be the outcome. However, leaving an economic community in which we were a main player was a form of madness, equally remaining in a (growing ever-closer) political union i.e., eventually becoming a United States of Europe, was not in the UK's best interest either, for all sorts of reasons, predominately strategic defense planning, as two world wars have taught us.

Therefore, the economic price of leaving is therefore high, as @Paul the Wolf and @Buster15 continually remind us. I would like us to be able to do a deal with the EU on economic grounds but whilst we have a Tory government that is highly unlikely, although Starmer is it seems making some overtures, in an effort to make Brexit work.

The 'up-side' (if you think there is one) of our current post Brexit position is that we are now going to have to drastically change our economic strategy (for growth) to lessen the reliance on Banking and the City of London money-making and get back to designing, developing and manufacturing high technology/high value products, (whilst there are still people around who know what a 'micron' is) especially those products and processes which underpin a green future. For this we need a first-class system of education, from 'early years' provision, through primary secondary and tertiary (14-19) education, into Higher Education with return to learn opportunities for anyone at any age. The government has to invest in and to organise this, and also industry has to adapt and invest in the hardware, also we all have to pay in enough money and resources so that every person can achieve their own potential in their own sphere of interest.

It's going to be a long hard road, the effects of Covid, the War in Ukraine as well as fallout from Brexit itself will all put a drag on things.

I am not cheering at all, but I am hopefully that we can at last start to learn from the past!

Yes, spot on, no matter how much moaning about the past goes on it solves nothing, the past is the past, we have to deal with it!

You are right, nothing would have really altered the Brexit outcome, given the state of play leading up to the referendum.

The EU/ EEC/EC was never just an economic community, not in the 1950s or the 1970s when the UK joined - or in the 1990s or now. One of the main aims of the European Community was to avoid wars in Europe which had been prevalent for centuries.

The only country who doesn't seemed to have learned from the mistakes of the past is the UK. To boast about fighting the Nazis in WW2 only to vote for what is basically a far-right fascist government is a bit rich.

Economically it was suicidal. As immigration is higher than ever, that hasn't worked either and never will.

A return to the EU is not happening in our lifetimes but the government are trying to pull as far away as possible. Removing EU laws or people's rights will not only distance themselves from the EU but from the rest of the world as well. That needs to be stopped as a first step.

The UK cannot operate in this current world as an isolated nation.

I do not see what the ultimate target is. New trading opportunities are a fantasy, immigration will continue, it needs to. Putting up barriers everywhere, not only to the EU.

Where is the UK going?

The implementation of Brexit is not in the past, it has only just begun and will continue for the next few years to make matters worse.
All countries have the aftermath of Covid and Ukraine to deal with. The UK government only mention them as the cause of their problems.

As the effects from Covid and Ukraine diminish over the coming years they will have to find another excuse.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

I disagree, the result was so close that I think it could have been altered.
I suppose we shall have to agree to disagree!

IMO the result was always going to have been 'to leave', because there were many and varied reasons why people voted for Brexit, but principally whatever specific reason individuals had they all wanted change; however, there was only one reason to vote to remain, that was to keep things as they were.

Sure, not everyone was pi**ed off, but enough were, so that collectively they got Brexit over the line.
A salutary lesson for all future governments, when considering referendums.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

IMO the result was always going to have been 'to leave', because there were many and varied reasons why people voted for Brexit, but principally whatever specific reason individuals had they all wanted change; however, there was only one reason to vote to remain, that was to keep things as they were.

Sure, not everyone was pi**ed off, but enough were, so that collectively they got Brexit over the line.
I agree. I honestly think that if it had been a close Remain result (and by that I mean even 10% or 15%) there would have been so much political pressure to re-run the referendum, possibly mmore than once, until the country voted Leave. Didn't Farage say a 52/48 loss would necessitate a re-run?

See the SNP's approach to an independence referendum as a good example of this.

Cameron certainly fecked the country, but the seeds of this were sown over 40 years as Labour and the Tories used the EEC/EC/EU as a punching bag, blaming them for all their failings.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

There were multiple off course but 2 examples that hooked people in, the red bus proclaiming millions back to the nhs and gove setting the narrative in peoples heads that you don’t need to listen to expert opinion, essentially brainwashing people. This topic, and the result was far to important to play out the way Tories played it. They reduced it to peoples worst fears, instead of looking at proper pros and cons of the decision facing them. Now the country will have to live with the awful fallout for decades before recovery

Paul the Wolf

I was pretty sure the result would be leave too.

The government had been blaming the EU for years for their failures, always deflecting the blame. To accentuate the brainwashing they even managed to persuade red wall seats to vote for the party that were responsible for their problems. Now it's Covid and Ukraine and not Brexit.