Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The question started with an opinion about Salvini agitating Northern Italy autonomy again to counter Meloni’s opposition to devolution, so the left-leaning interviewee went on answering with a plaudit to the EU as the best way to navigate these agitated times and the reversable Brexit scenario as an indication of the tide at internal/Italian use.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm still amazed that these folk managed to persuade the electorate that a bucket of shit is tasty. "Vote for a bucket of shit at every meal time!", "Okay, nobody said a bucket of shit is that tasty...", "Pour some garlic mayo into your bucket of shit, it'll improve the flavour!", "We have to accept that the people voted to eat buckets of shit, so grab a spoon and commence shovelling."

The problem is that the folk who told the electorate to eat buckets of shit are actually in another room secretly munching on fillet steaks made from the cow that produced the shit in the first place.

WPMUFC

:houllier:
It's always the same fecking shit. They want all the benefits of the EU but don't want to be part of it in any political sense. Their entire gaslighting operation is to say the EU hurts the UK because they won't give us the same accesses as before and that is the EU's "revenge" for Brexit.

If we got Brexit to work a little bit better, we could get food in cheaper,
That should be rephrased to "If the EU just let us have what we want with no strings or commitments then Brexit would work". It's so dystopian. :mad:

owlo

Israel teaching us how to protest. Had Corbyn really been behind staying in the EU or a soft landing, we'd have had general strikes and the country ground to a halt. Labour owns the unions. But nothing, we went out with a whimper to these tory cnuts.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Israel teaching us how to protest. Had Corbyn really been behind staying in the EU or a soft landing, we'd have had general strikes and the country ground to a halt. Labour owns the unions. But nothing, we went out with a whimper to these tory cnuts.
Not so sure about that. Mick Lynch for example was pro-Brexit. I think the NFU were (not any more I suspect). They are also generally Tory of course (again possibly not so much these days). Unfortunately a lot of these people bought some or all of the bullshit the dark money was selling. I think Corbyn was a wishy washy pro-EU too because he also ignored all the evidence from France and Germany to show state aid was perfectly possible within the EU. Who convinced who of what is the grey area, it didn't all come from Corbyn though I don't think.

WPMUFC

When there are no consequences for lying, it never stops. When the personal ethical/moral barriers are erased, you feel nothing. When the press support you, you feel secure. When your party endorses it, it becomes second nature.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

When there are no consequences for lying, it never stops. When the personal ethical/moral barriers are erased, you feel nothing. When the press support you, you feel secure. When your party endorses it, it becomes second nature.
If we believed more in Brexit, it will be a success.

Member 125398

Reading reports in France of hordes of migrants trying to cross the channel. Glad the French goverment is being proactive as these sorts never try to integrate with local culture.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Surprised they booked him on, they must have known what he was going to say?

Though certainly you've still got the hosts giggling away like schoolchildren and making silly comments about the French being awkward as usual.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...for-second-day-as-braverman-accused-of-denial

“I don’t think that’s fair to say that this has been an adverse effect of Brexit,” said Braverman. “We’ve had many years now since leaving the European Union and there’s been, on the whole, very good operations and processes at the border.

The UK left the EU transition period just over two years ago (not many years ago) and the first one travel was limited due to Covid.

The shadow levelling up secretary, Lisa Nandy, put the delays down to the government’s handling of the challenges posed by Brexit rather than Brexit itself. “The government has known for a very long time that they needed to make sure that there were resources in place to deal with additional paperwork checks,” she told Sky News. “The point is not whether we left the European Union or not. The point was that we left with a government that made big promises and once again didn’t deliver.”

However the opposition are just as moronic. It's not the Uk government checking.

Next November when coachloads of people will have to get off their coaches to be photographed and fingerprinted so that their details can be entered into the EU EES database, renewable every three years.

Then of course the CPTTP is another couple of bullets in the UK's foot. Seriously bad move as explained before. Starmer can make Brexit work by selling Reliant Robin vans to Peru.
Aukus deal seems very quiet selling American submarines to Australia in twenty years time.

Be interested to know what percentage of the UK population have the slightest idea as to what they voted for.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...for-second-day-as-braverman-accused-of-denial

“I don’t think that’s fair to say that this has been an adverse effect of Brexit,” said Braverman. “We’ve had many years now since leaving the European Union and there’s been, on the whole, very good operations and processes at the border.

The UK left the EU transition period just over two years ago (not many years ago) and the first one travel was limited due to Covid.

The shadow levelling up secretary, Lisa Nandy, put the delays down to the government’s handling of the challenges posed by Brexit rather than Brexit itself. “The government has known for a very long time that they needed to make sure that there were resources in place to deal with additional paperwork checks,” she told Sky News. “The point is not whether we left the European Union or not. The point was that we left with a government that made big promises and once again didn’t deliver.”

However the opposition are just as moronic. It's not the Uk government checking.

Next November when coachloads of people will have to get off their coaches to be photographed and fingerprinted so that their details can be entered into the EU EES database, renewable every three years.

Then of course the CPTTP is another couple of bullets in the UK's foot. Seriously bad move as explained before. Starmer can make Brexit work by selling Reliant Robin vans to Peru.
Aukus deal seems very quiet selling American submarines to Australia in twenty years time.

Be interested to know what percentage of the UK population have the slightest idea as to what they voted for.
I think the voting logic is something like this;

Tories - parents voted for them and so do they without question, or they don't have much interest in politics and have been attracted to the simplistic "immigints r bad" shite, or they're just cnuts and like to vote for cnuts just like themselves.

Labour - think they're progressive when being progressive was something that some political parties had to do to win votes. Now that it's not needed they don't have to pretend to be progressive and can be cnuts like the Tories, but the alternative option like Pepsi is to Coke.

SNP - were progressive for a while until it became apparent that they're only great at talking about what they'll do. As effective as a small dog yapping at a rottweiler behind a closed gate.

Lib Dems - after the coalition it's clear that you can buy their loyalty for the price of a child's steering wheel you pop in the passenger side of a car.

Greens - might as well not bother turning up to vote.

I'll vote for Labour because at the very least they'll be held accountable to the press if they stir as much culture wars shit that the Tories are doing right now.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Zero.

Paul the Wolf

The simple answer should have been. "No, we had no idea what we voted for. And we still don't realise that Northern Ireland and the Republic are part of a Common Travel Area and the same customs Union whereas there is a completely different border and customs arrangement with the rest of the world, including the other countries in the EU."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The simple answer should have been. "No, we had no idea what we voted for. And we still don't realise that Northern Ireland the Republic are part of a Common Travel Area and the same customs Union whereas there is a completely different border and customs arrangement with the rest of the world, including the other countries in the EU."
You are too fast, I was going to save you time and effort by sharing this comment. :lol:

Paul the Wolf

You are too fast, I was going to save you time and effort by sharing this comment. :lol:

:lol: - Sums it up. I'm going for the year 2030 when the majority of the Uk electorate realise what the crock of shite they voted for really means and that most of them really start to regret it. The current Tories and current Labour should be replaced by then.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The further we are from Brexit the least sense it makes. Most of the issues that exist are direct and obvious consequences of leaving any trading agreement and the fact that the tories remained in power but essentially did nothing to manage these issues suggest that some of us were kind of wrong. I genuinely believed that from a number of politicians standpoint it was an assumed isolationist idea but with time it looks like they were just bluffing, as some british suggested Brexit won by mistake.

The most staggering thing for me is the idea that London isn't Europe top stock market in 2023, I'm not a betting man but around 2016 I was willing to bet that the british government would do everything to prevent that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
:lol: - Sums it up. I'm going for the year 2030 when the majority of the Uk electorate realise what the crock of shite they voted for really means and that most of them really start to regret it. The current Tories and current Labour should be replaced by then.
Even if they do regret it, which by the way they will never admit and blame it on something or someone else, how does that help anything.
I have said before. We are where we are. Brexit is done and there is no going back.

It is up to the UK government, of whichever side to try and make the best of a monumentally stupid decision and try to limit the damage. Assuming that is even possible.
And if people get pissed off because of the economy tanking and queues at Dover and shortages and high inflation and high interest rates etc, etc, then tough sh1t.
Take your medicine like the rest of us who voted to remain.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The further we are from Brexit the least sense it makes. Most of the issues that exist are direct and obvious consequences of leaving any trading agreement and the fact that the tories remained in power but essentially did nothing to manage these issues suggest that some of us were kind of wrong. I genuinely believed that from a number of politicians standpoint it was an assumed isolationist idea but with time it looks like they were just bluffing, as some british suggested Brexit won by mistake.

The most staggering thing for me is the idea that London isn't Europe top stock market in 2023, I'm not a betting man but around 2016 I was willing to bet that the british government would do everything to prevent that.
Exactly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Even if they do regret it, which by the way they will never admit and blame it on something or someone else, how does that help anything.
I have said before. We are where we are. Brexit is done and there is no going back.

It is up to the UK government, of whichever side to try and make the best of a monumentally stupid decision and try to limit the damage. Assuming that is even possible.
And if people get pissed off because of the economy tanking and queues at Dover and shortages and high inflation and high interest rates etc, etc, then tough sh1t.
The solution to our woes is closer alignment unless somebody has a better solution.

However any alignment will be met with fierce opposition based on the obstinate notion that we voted to leave and therefore we shouldn't do anything to undermine that. Even if that means suffering.

Paul the Wolf

Agree it will take a long time, if ever to admit the wrong they have done to the UK.

Although there is no quick fix, there has to be damage limitation which can only mean close alignment with the EU but that means forgetting all the things that Brexiters have boasted about.

At some point in time something has to change. Whoever gets in next year at the GE, another five years are lost. But eventually in ten years, twenty or more something will have to happen. There is no positivity on the horizon.

Things aren't miraculously going to get better especially as things are assured to get worse over the next few years. The Uk desperately needs a strong politician who understands what the real problems are and what the solutions can be . It also has to be someone who is motivated to do what the best is for the UK not for his own personal career. Both the current main parties will only make things worse.

The irony is the "Take back control". The UK has never had less control of its economy or its borders. They do as others wish.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was in London for the first time since Covid and I could not believe the price of everything compared to before. I know inflation has been bad everywhere but that was easily worse than anything I’ve seen here in Ireland. Brexit innit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was in London for the first time since Covid and I could not believe the price of everything compared to before. I know inflation has been bad everywhere but that was easily worse than anything I’ve seen here in Ireland. Brexit innit.
Unfortunately the prices have gone up because of greed Ukraine and the fecking EU. Pogba is probably involved as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agree it will take a long time, if ever to admit the wrong they have done to the UK.

Although there is no quick fix, there has to be damage limitation which can only mean close alignment with the EU but that means forgetting all the things that Brexiters have boasted about.

At some point in time something has to change. Whoever gets in next year at the GE, another five years are lost. But eventually in ten years, twenty or more something will have to happen. There is no positivity on the horizon.

Things aren't miraculously going to get better especially as things are assured to get worse over the next few years. The Uk desperately needs a strong politician who understands what the real problems are and what the solutions can be . It also has to be someone who is motivated to do what the best is for the UK not for his own personal career. Both the current main parties will only make things worse.

The irony is the "Take back control". The UK has never had less control of its economy or its borders. They do as others wish.
You and @horsechoker are quite right.
Closer alignment with the EU need not be against the vote to leave the EU.
The 2 are not incompatible. It is perfectly possible to have left the EU but retain close alignment.
But we are not talking about logic with regards to Brexit, because there was no logic at all.
Brexit was all about emotions. And the illusion that somehow leaving the worlds biggest trading block and going it alone was even remotely the right thing to do, based on a complete pack of lies.
I am still livid at the sheer stupidity of the outcome. And as you say, the damage it is doing to us all.
That is why I am not unhappy at the emerging problems. Too bad.
What goes around comes around.

Don't ask a question unless you know what to do with the answer.
The idiot Cameron did exactly that.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Unfortunately the prices have gone up because of greed Ukraine and the fecking EU. Pogba is probably involved as well.
I heard groups of Pakistani men were involved too. Driving up prices and causing industrial action. Born in the UK but illegally arriving in small boats from France. 35 million a day in March, with another 56 billion on the way this month. Carrying buckets of Human shit they are dumping in our rivers.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The so called inflation rate is quoted at 10.7%.
But the most important metric for most people is food inflation and that is running at almost 18%.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You and @horsechoker are quite right.
Closer alignment with the EU need not be against the vote to leave the EU.
The 2 are not incompatible. It is perfectly possible to have left the EU but retain close alignment.
But we are not talking about logic with regards to Brexit, because there was no logic at all.
Brexit was all about emotions. And the illusion that somehow leaving the worlds biggest trading block and going it alone was even remotely the right thing to do, based on a complete pack of lies.
I am still livid at the sheer stupidity of the outcome. And as you say, the damage it is doing to us all.
That is why I am not unhappy at the emerging problems. Too bad.
What goes around comes around.

Don't ask a question unless you know what to do with the answer.
The idiot Cameron did exactly that.

The problem is that instead or more alignment, the Tory rhetoric is more divergence as they want to eliminate EU regulations everywhere and create UK specific ones

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The problem is that instead or more alignment, the Tory rhetoric is more divergence as they want to eliminate EU regulations everywhere and create UK specific ones
And they accuse Labour of being the Loony Left....

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Swedes are booting out most Brits post-Brexit.

After Sweden, at 1,100, the Netherlands, at 720, was responsible for the second highest number of removals, followed by Malta 135 and France at 115.

In total, the EU removed 2,610 British nationals in 2021 and 2022 of which with the number of children involved suggested many families were asked to leave.

All other EU member states removed fewer than 100 British nationals in the same period.

Eurostat data shows that 1,350 were aged over 35, 1,025 were between 18 and 34 years old, 35 were teenagers between 14 and 17, and 170 were under 14 years old
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...elled-1100-british-nationals-since-uk-left-eu