Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Good, you should be. As for betrayal of the vote, the common understanding at the time amongst Leave voters (perpetrated by the top Leave campaigners) was that we'd stay in the Single Market anyway. So by leaving the Single Market you're actually betraying your own side too.
Well, f*ck you too, Ken. ;)

Your second point is false by the way. No need to get your back up though, as i have no intention of spending hours in a fruitless discusion about trivialities.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There is also the possibility to virtually lose NI. NI and ROI want freedom of movement and no border, basically the Single Market-Schengen package, that's possible if they get a very deep autonomy.
I doubt the UK would care too much if that happened.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Well, f*ck you too, Ken. ;)
;)
Your second point is false by the way. No need to get your back up though, as i have no intention of spending hours in a fruitless discusion about trivialities.
Official Leave Campaign: "There is a free trade zone stretching all the way from Iceland to the Russian border. We will still be part of it after we Vote Leave."

Daniel Hannan, prominent Leave campaigner: "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market."

Boris Johnson: “There will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market”

You were saying? Interesting that you consider the nation being lied to about access to one of the most vital areas of the nations trade to be 'trivial' by the way.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I said they are similar but are not exactly the same
Yes eventually you did conceded that, some progress is being made... now where have I heard that before?

The President of the Commission is nominated by the European Council (the 28 Heads of States) and elected by the European Parliament for a 5 year term.
The Commissioners also have a 5 year term, their appointment is made in consultation with the 28 states and the president .
Again the EU Parliament has to approve appointment of the Commissioners.

The EU Parliament is elected by EU citizens.
Agreed, no disagreement here!

The Commission propose laws, the EU Council and the Parliament approve them
In the UK Parliament, the elected government propose areas for new or amended laws, via the Queen's speech, the elected MP nominated by the Prime Minister responsible for that particular area of Government, who serves as a Cabinet Minister proposes the law to the Elected Members of Parliament(with assistance from Senior Civil Servants) who pass the laws, (Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments, Regulations etc) sometimes with amendments some times without!

A Civil Servant whether Senior or not is not elected by anyone.
True!

A UK Cabinet Minister is only elected as an MP by their constituents, taking Davis as an example 31355 people voted for him out of 65million.
How many Commissioners are elected by the EU constituents?
Question: is it possible for the House of Lords to block legislation?
Yes, but only for a time, ultimately the Government can force things through, the principle being they are the elected representatives and are carrying out the democratic will of the people.
EU Commissioners also can force things through, but without the democratic authority of carrying out the will of the people, because they are unelected!

I think your problem is that you follow Farage too closely, gravy-train, unelected bureaucrats are straight out a Farage speech.
These terms were around long before Nigel Farage took his first pint!
Read some of Tony Benn's speeches in the early 60's

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The domino effect, she surely can’t pick and choose which parts of the UK to remain in the single market?
If she concedes NI, then she’ll have to concede for the whole country? And end up losing her parliamentary majority also.
I can't imagine Scotland keeping quiet, or Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Wow

:eek::eek::eek:

*Edit* Actually, after re-reading what Peston actually said I think Newton Dunn is mis-reading it. It seems like Peston is just saying the trade deal for the whole UK would be based on the regulatory match for NI. I could be wrong though.

Member 5225

Why is she so inept? My theory is she cannot possibly be so utterly clueless and it’s all a big play. I mean, it just has to be...doesn’t it...:nervous:

Oscie

DUP coalition just made Brexit harder for her then?

Another brilliant idea, just like 'Let's call an early election!'

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I can't imagine Scotland keeping quiet, or Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester...
If she doesn't give Scotland leeway, then that will just spur talks of a Scottish referendum again. And the Tories in Scotland would only have sand to try and build a foundation on when arguing against it.

Wow

So strong, so stable.

If this happens, Freedom of movement will be next surely - you can't have one without the other. After that, Brexit effectively becomes nullified.
And at the very least, there will be a leadership contest for the Tories, and at the most, another election too!?

Member 5225

Almost certainly, re the odds of next general election, 2018 is the favourite!!

Oscie

Almost certainly, re the odds of next general election, 2018 is the favourite!!
Any potential 2018 election should be on lines of 'Tory Brext' vs 'Forget the whole fecking thing'. Corbyn's life-long support of leaving the EU will mean it's the best chance to end this mess that we'll never get.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
When Sturgeon and co were asking for just such an arrangement? :smirk:

Anything that you Remainers would deem 'soft' or 'viable' likely amounts to a betrayal of the vote. But what would that matter, we thickos who voted Brexit could simply be ignored again by the Europhile chattering classes.
Sturgeon's moves were always clearly political - it was evident Scotland was never going to get a separate deal because one part of the UK having to establish a border with another would've been an unworkable approach for the UK government.

And, no, the vote itself wasn't on a 'soft' or 'hard' Brexit but merely on the decision to leaving the EU. Deciding the vote was a unanimous qualifier to go for the hardest Brexit possible in the face of a narrow majority would've been akin to Cameron taking a narrow Remain majority as a mandate to push for federalisation and an adoption of the Euro.

If the Brexiters were so keen on leaving the single market then that should've been the question on the ballot paper. It wasn't, of course, meaning the government implementing Brexit could choose to interpret the vote however they pleased. Our government chose to take it as a mandate for a hard Brexit although they're now increasingly clambering back because they're largely being outdone by the EU.

What would your solution to the Irish border question be, out of interest? A border is quite clearly politically nonviable but likewise Northern Ireland remaining within the customs union gives Scotland and London the right to demand the same. I'm genuinely interested to see a response to this because as of now I've not seen a viable response which doesn't involve a soft Brexit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why is she so inept? My theory is she cannot possibly be so utterly clueless and it’s all a big play. I mean, it just has to be...doesn’t it...:nervous:
She's inept herself but anyone in her position would've struggled. From the start she's been trying to implement something that seems increasingly unworkable - whatever decision she makes will enrage her own cabinet, a hard Brexit for the entirety of the country would necessitate a border with Ireland which is quite clearly nonviable, and a soft Brexit would piss off those who feel they've been ignored over immigration. I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for her but even the most towering political figure would struggle to negotiate this mess.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sturgeon's moves were always clearly political - it was evident Scotland was never going to get a separate deal because one part of the UK having to establish a border with another would've been an unworkable approach for the UK government.

And, no, the vote itself wasn't on a 'soft' or 'hard' Brexit but merely on the decision to leaving the EU. Deciding the vote was a unanimous qualifier to go for the hardest Brexit possible in the face of a narrow majority would've been akin to Cameron taking a narrow Remain majority as a mandate to push for federalisation and an adoption of the Euro.

If the Brexiters were so keen on leaving the single market then that should've been the question on the ballot paper. It wasn't, of course, meaning the government implementing Brexit could choose to interpret the vote however they pleased. Our government chose to take it as a mandate for a hard Brexit although they're now increasingly clambering back because they're largely being outdone by the EU.

What would your solution to the Irish border question be, out of interest? A border is quite clearly politically nonviable but likewise Northern Ireland remaining within the customs union gives Scotland and London the right to demand the same. I'm genuinely interested to see a response to this because as of now I've not seen a viable response which doesn't involve a soft Brexit.
To be fair to them, they outdone themselves. When you go to a negotiation table with demands like "I don't want to follow the same rules and I don't want borders.", the other side has nothing to say other than "We like the idea but it doesn't work."

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
How do you know the hard/soft criteria which people voted for Nick? It certainly wasn't on my ballot paper.
How could continued single market membership be seen as respecting a win for Leave? Unless their aim was to cease MEP represenation and little else, the two are non consistent.

What did the official Leave reps talk about in the TV debates? Sovereignty, trade and immigration. When they released a policy paper it focused on the same. I'm n this for the long term of course, so it's primairly about making the clean break and buidling from there. Ideally. i'd like to maintain as strong a relathionship on as possible with regards to sciene and the enivornment. but if they want to restrict such things to 'club members only' then we'll take our cash to NASAinstead (to cite one example).

;)

Official Leave Campaign: "There is a free trade zone stretching all the way from Iceland to the Russian border. We will still be part of it after we Vote Leave."

Daniel Hannan, prominent Leave campaigner: "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market."

Boris Johnson: “There will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market”

You were saying? Interesting that you consider the nation being lied to about access to one of the most vital areas of the nations trade to be 'trivial' by the way.
A future free trade agreement and access to the single market, are not the same as membership (ECJ/the bill/borders).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How could continued single market membership be seen as respecting a win for Leave? Unless their aim was to cease MEP represenation and little else, the two are non consistent.

What did the official Leave reps talk about in the TV debates? Sovereignty, trade and immigration. When they released a policy paper it focused on the same. I'm n this for the long term of course, so it's primairly about making the clean break and buidling from there. Ideally. i'd like to maintain as strong a relathionship on as possible with regards to sciene and the enivornment. but if they want to restrict such things to 'club members only' then we'll take our cash to NASAinstead (to cite one example).
But none of what you state above was ever put forward as a definitive and immovable condition of Brexit because different figures were saying different stuff. The question itself merely asked whether or not we wanted to leave the EU. Nothing official said that, for definite, we'd leave the single market.

And, again - simply saying it doesn't mean those debating for an exit understood the practicalities involved. Northern Ireland was barely spoken of and yet I don't think any Leaver ever gave a credible response to how we could leave the single market/customs union without implementing a border in Ireland.

Member 5225

Seriously, let’s all just save face and get Reece-Mogg as PM
Boris - foreign
Gove - chancellor
Priti Patel helping Davis in DExEU
Maybe even rope Farage in somehow

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
A future free trade agreement and access to the single market, are not the same as membership (ECJ/the bill/borders).

That was never clearly laid out for voters, and the suggestion was deliberately planted that we'd still be in the single market to all intents and purposes. That was a fecking lie. Frankly anyone who tries to pretend that people 'knew what they were voting for' when you had people like Hannon saying "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market." is being willfully disingenous.

They tried to sell to the public something that could only sell if they lied about what people were actually buying. Well done, you tricked millions of people into fecking their own futures. Congratulations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But none of what you state above was ever put forward as a definitive and immovable condition of Brexit because different figures were saying different stuff. The question itself merely asked whether or not we wanted to leave the EU. Nothing official said that, for definite, we'd leave the single market.

And, again - simply saying it doesn't mean those debating for an exit understood the practicalities involved. Northern Ireland was barely spoken of and yet I don't think any Leaver ever gave a credible response to how we could leave the single market/customs union without implementing a border in Ireland.
Indeed. It was always the case that the Brexit desired by many hardline leavers was largely incompatable with the UK's prior commitments in NI. Ignoring reality was only ever going to work for so long.

None of this should come as a suprise as it was all flagged both before and after the Brexit vote. Yet some people chose to either ignore these issues or invent fantasy solutions that nobody outside the UK was ever going to accept.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
And what would that be - you're just like your hero, hoping for destruction. Hilarious.
I'm nothing like my hero, wish I had his pension though!

'Destruction' is only in the minds of raving remainers and in your case you don't have to worry anyway...but you do, don't you?

On the other post, you agreed with everything I said and the HoL is a useless waste of money because it has no jursidiction, according to you
Yes big it up Paul, unfortunately for you people can read for themselves (when they can be bothered of course). I agreed with some of your points to do with the make up of the EU, that's all!

I did not say the House of Lords was a useless waste of money, it scrutinizes, it makes the Government think again, can sometimes get amendments made to legislation, but ultimately it cannot defeat a determined Government acting on the will of the people, it is a second chamber, for debate and reflection, not for thwarting the will of the duly elected government.

The system for Governance in the EU, precisely because it does not directly elect its law makers, is a system at least once removed from a true representative democracy.

I have never denied the EU system has some democratic elements, but they are not directly representative of its constituents. My argument is that when the EU had the perfect opportunity to re-set itself on a more democratic and representative platform it refused, or some would argue it was unable to do so, because of its own rules.

The conclusion at that time and even more so when it increased in number, is that the EU, as an organisation, cannot/does not want to learn from its own mistakes and/or reform from within, hence it is doomed to failure. The UK leaving, will just clear the tracks and grease the wheels for the EU runaway train to eventually hit the buffers!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If Theresa wasn't lacking leadership to a ridiculous extent, she'd have gone to Labour to get the votes to pass a compromise. But of course then she might upset the DUP scum and endanger her ability to stay in power.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm nothing like my hero, wish I had his pension though!

'Destruction' is only in the minds of raving remainers and in your case you don't have to worry anyway...but you do, don't you?
I'm sure the EU will find that his pension is a small price to pay, less than 16 months and he'll be gone. Raving remainers, you're off again, from a personal point of view Brexit affects me little other than eventually when I'm due a state pension it will have reduced in value as much as yours, so if that's what you mean we've both lost, as I've already said, but I'd given up any hope of getting a state pension long before Brexit was even thought of.
Sorry to disappoint.

Re Democracy You've put your case and I've put mine, there is nothing in my post which is untrue so we'll leave it there.
Looks like the DUP are running the UK, do you remember voting for them?

In 16 months time you won't have to worry about the EU, or will you?

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I thought brexit was about taking control. Why is the DUP controlling the rest of the UK?

devilish

If Theresa wasn't lacking leadership to a ridiculous extent, she'd have gone to Labour to get the votes to pass a compromise. But of course then she might upset the DUP scum and endanger her ability to stay in power.
That is why I said that a cross party team needed to be set on Brexit matters.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Seriously, let’s all just save face and get Reece-Mogg as PM
Boris - foreign
Gove - chancellor
Priti Patel helping Davis in DExEU
Maybe even rope Farage in somehow
:lol: they’ll end up all killing each other. Now enough of your Putin wankfest.

devilish

Can england, wales and Scotland vote northern ireland out of the UK?

Oscie

Ironic if after all these weeks of speculation as to whether she can agree a deal with the rest of the EU the whole thing collapses because of internal objections from the party she gave a £1bn bribe to. Hilarious too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ironic if after all these weeks of speculation as to whether she can agree a deal with the rest of the EU the whole thing collapses because of internal objections from the party she gave a £1bn bribe to. Hilarious too.
A party she had to give a 1 billion bribe to as a result of the election she called to supposedly strengthen her position for these very negotiations. Ouch.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
When Sturgeon and co were asking for just such an arrangement? :smirk:

Anything that you Remainers would deem 'soft' or 'viable' likely amounts to a betrayal of the vote. But what would that matter, we thickos who voted Brexit could simply be ignored again by the Europhile chattering classes.
If that's your view, then what is the alternative Brexit process that you would accept, that you think was offered/ publicised during the campaign?
;)

Look for similar comments on the Brexit bill through the last eighteen months as well. The amount of nonsense pushed by the leave campaign, that was completely divorced from any reality or realistic outcome is a tragedy. The fact that the referendum was won by clear lies and mis-truths needs to be given the historical weighting it deserves - a terrible moment in Modern British history.