Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevoc

How do the posters from NI feel?
Obviously this deal still has a long way to go before its a reality and we don't have all the details yet. But from what i've heard it sounds infinitely better than No Deal would be for Northern Ireland. I think theres a good chance it will even boost the economy here. As others have said it would put NI in the unique position of essentially being in both territories.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If Boris thinks it's the only way to get it through he might sign up and I think enough labour SNP and libs who want a 2nd referendum would back it as well
That said it would also require a longer extension and a government that could last 6 months... So voting for it would be no guarantee it happened
I don't think Boris would take the risk of a second referendum, as he, and the Tory party have constantly said they will respect the first referendum.
Labour did the same, they promised to respect it, then over time they've basically said screw the result, we think you got it wrong, we want to stay.

Plus, if Boris wanted a second referendum, why do you think he's been pushing so hard for an Election?? He wants an election because he knows at this moment in time, there is a very high chance that the Tory party would cruise to a majority, meaning his deal, this one, or any other, would be easy to get through. In the same sense, thats why Labour want a second referendum. They know their chances at an election are slim, so they want to try and stop brexit regardless. Corbyn on the other hand is extremely confident and wants to go for that majority.

So, as it stands, there won't be a second referendum before a general election. I'm pretty certain of that. Now who wins that GE could change everything.

Just think of this too... Both Labour and Conservatives support a second referendum, Leave voters of both parties feel betrayed, who do they go for? Only one party willing to get into power and pretty much pull us out of the EU no deal. Thats a pretty scary prospect, and with how volatile things are at the moment, it's safe to say anything is possible

madzo2007

How do the posters from NI feel?
If Brexit is going to happen this is probably the best outcome for NI, it’s hugely better than No Deal which would be bad news for us.

We get the best of both worlds in theory and hopefully give the local economy a boost. But as @stevoc this still has a long way to go before it comes a reality. Be interesting to see how Boris spins this to the DUP and what the actual terms of the Irish Sea border are.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
If Brexit is going to happen this is probably the best outcome for NI, it’s hugely better than No Deal which would be bad news for us.

We get the best of both worlds in theory and hopefully give the local economy a boost. But as @stevoc this still has a long way to go before it comes a reality. Be interesting to see how Boris spins this to the DUP and what the actual terms of the Irish Sea border are.
Agreed, it's infinitely better than no deal for us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think he just wants a deal....he knows it won't get through parliament and doesn't care. It just needs to be different from May's deal.

He is playing the "drain the swamp" playbook from Trump so is hoping that people will be frustrated by Parliament saying "no" again.

That's why the tories are trying to make out a deal is "imminent" and are making positive noises...they know it won't get through parliament.
Surely people aren't that dumb...

Wait, I just read that out loud. Never mind.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't think Boris would take the risk of a second referendum, as he, and the Tory party have constantly said they will respect the first referendum.
Labour did the same, they promised to respect it, then over time they've basically said screw the result, we think you got it wrong, we want to stay.

Plus, if Boris wanted a second referendum, why do you think he's been pushing so hard for an Election?? He wants an election because he knows at this moment in time, there is a very high chance that the Tory party would cruise to a majority, meaning his deal, this one, or any other, would be easy to get through. In the same sense, thats why Labour want a second referendum. They know their chances at an election are slim, so they want to try and stop brexit regardless. Corbyn on the other hand is extremely confident and wants to go for that majority.

So, as it stands, there won't be a second referendum before a general election. I'm pretty certain of that. Now who wins that GE could change everything.

Just think of this too... Both Labour and Conservatives support a second referendum, Leave voters of both parties feel betrayed, who do they go for? Only one party willing to get into power and pretty much pull us out of the EU no deal. Thats a pretty scary prospect, and with how volatile things are at the moment, it's safe to say anything is possible
Just my opinion but you've completely misread Labour. Firstly their official policy is not to remain, it is to leave with a wonderfully negotiated superior deal that only they can get, secondly whilst the members might want to stay, and to have a second referendum to achieve that, the leaders have twisted and turned for some time to avoid one, and thirdly their leaders have never quite dispelled the idea that they were always actually anti-EU in the first place. No idea what they'll come up with next though, I must admit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Surely people aren't that dumb...

Wait, I just read that out loud. Never mind.
They keep voting the Tories in who don't even hide that they only care about the top 1%. Why do people vote for this shower of shit?

Corbyn isn't great but a sock puppet would do a better job than Bojo and his merry band of clowns. Greatest con trick ever is getting poor people to vote for Trump, Bojo or Scomo in Australia (with added evangelical paedo protection). Don't know why I specified poor people as it applies to all but the very wealthiest in society.

Last edited:

NWRed

From the BBC ladies and Gents

Have UK voters changed their minds on Brexit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50043549

loads of graphs comparing 5 different outcomes, only 1 of which was on the ballot paper in 2016 so in no way tells us whether people have changed their minds, then buried at the bottom of the article is the answer:

"True, most polls suggest - and have done so for some time - that the balance of opinion might be tilted narrowly in favour of remaining a member of the EU. On average, this is by 53% to 47%" - so the answer is, yes, they have, great, why wasn't that the first fecking they said then. Unfortunately the answer to why they didn't put that information in the first paragraph becomes immediately obvious, the articles purposed is to discredit that polling, not report on it:

"However, this lead for Remain rests primarily on the views expressed by those who did not vote three years ago - and perhaps might not do so again.

In truth, nobody can be sure what would happen if there were to be another referendum."

BBC - Boris Broadcasing Corporation

/rant

EDIT: and by "suggest that the balance of opinion might be tilted in favour of remaining a member of the EU" they actually mean "clearly and consistently show the public would now vote to remain by a larger majority than the 2016 vote to leave."

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Demographic alone mean remain will win. Surely some people who votwd to leave now realise they were sold a dud?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
FT reporting sources say the DUP being offered billions as a sweetener
Unless it’s being paid into their personal accounts, I’m not sure how that would compensate for them embarrassing themselves with a total 180 and a betrayal of their supposed red lines.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Border in Irish sea could give NI a competitive edge against rest of UK. I'm against brexit but if it had to happen then this is potentially great news for NI economically.
Yeah I agree though part of me wants to see the Tories lose everything they table. Part of me also wants those who voted for it to feel the pain for the rest of their miserable lives. Tories have played the long con here, they have everyone where they want them now. Once brexit happens, they can crack on with their plans for dismantling the NHS etc. Labour can’t stop them

Smores

How could anyone vote for this garbage in a second referendum. Gove already running to the press to say any forecasts are mumbo-jumbo :rolleyes:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

How could anyone vote for this garbage in a second referendum. Gove already running to the press to say any forecasts are mumbo-jumbo :rolleyes:
But with the old WW2 British Empire bulldog spirit and ingenuity, you can add back +378billion back to the coffers within 12 months of exit. Simples.

Smores

Just think of all the good that the no deal prep money and bung money to the DUP could have done. Another 10 billion to climate change efforts would be significant but we've spaffed it up the wall on some ideological nonsense instead.

Traub

Obviously this deal still has a long way to go before its a reality and we don't have all the details yet. But from what i've heard it sounds infinitely better than No Deal would be for Northern Ireland. I think theres a good chance it will even boost the economy here. As others have said it would put NI in the unique position of essentially being in both territories.

Border in Irish sea could give NI a competitive edge against rest of UK. I'm against brexit but if it had to happen then this is potentially great news for NI economically.
If Brexit does happen, then I really hope for your guys sake this is the way it goes then. It feels like NI has been completely shafted in this whole process, and it comes across that the government view NI as a major annoyance stopping their plans. It would be great if in the end the government causes NI to be in the best position out of everyone in the UK.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just think of all the good that the no deal prep money and bung money to the DUP could have done. Another 10 billion to climate change efforts would be significant but we've spaffed it up the wall on some ideological nonsense instead.
Saving the Conservative party is more important than the environment. What would we do without the Conservatives?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think this government would give even a small percentage of that to climate change efforts

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Brexit does happen, then I really hope for your guys sake this is the way it goes then. It feels like NI has been completely shafted in this whole process, and it comes across that the government view NI as a major annoyance stopping their plans. It would be great if in the end the government causes NI to be in the best position out of everyone in the UK.
I agree but I fear that the fecking DUP will once again do their best to stop it happening. They really are arseholes.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I agree but I fear that the fecking DUP will once again do their best to stop it happening. They really are arseholes.
A direct quote from Sammy Wilson on Newstalk last week.

"The referendum was a UK wide referendum. Northern Ireland voting results are irrelevant"

Irrelevant.

From a man who is elected by the people of Northern Ireland

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think this government would give even a small percentage of that to climate change efforts
It would have gone on corporate tax breaks which in turn would have trickled down to the employees exited the UK and headed for offshore tax havens.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

"The referendum was a UK wide referendum. Northern Ireland voting results are irrelevant"

Irrelevant.

There are several people in the world that if I got in a room with them on their own I would probably never tire of slapping them around the face - Sammy Wilson is one, Ian Paisley is another. Self-serving wankers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Irrelevant.

Compare that attitude to Nicola Sturgeon's. Say what you like about her politics but you can't argue that she is not dutiful in representing Scotland's interests.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Compare that attitude to Nicola Sturgeon's. Say what you like about her politics but you can't argue that she is not dutiful in representing Scotland's interests.
Yeah it is like night and day - you can disagree with her view but you have to say she is a very competant politician who at the very least does listen and fight for her country.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just saw a few minutes ago on BBG that brexit deal has collapsed? Probably old news anyway, and expected. Northern Ireland are resisting the plans drawn up in the talks with the EU.

Rooney24

Its idiotic. They cant see that NI having an economic boom with a border in the Irish Sea is more likely to secure the Union than anything else. If NI prospers then people like me (A Nationalist) are more likely to let things lie and not agitate for a UI.

But try explaining that to them…...

cyberman

Just saw a few minutes ago on BBG that brexit deal has collapsed? Probably old news anyway, and expected. Northern Ireland are resisting the plans drawn up in the talks with the EU.
Northern Ireland hasn't had the chance to accept or reject anything so far?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Northern Ireland hasn't had the chance to accept or reject anything so far?
It probably doesn't even need to get to that stage in assuming. It would be clear by now which way its going and how they'd take that.

I'm guessing anyway, I've actually been out of touch with recent developments so I'm not sure what they have or haven't had the chance to do.

Simbo

Just waiting for the extension request or more BJ shenanigans. The 'deal' talk only serves as part of their blame game strategy, no chance of anything being agreed here.

imo.

Maticmaker

With Boris the ends justify the means, so if he is less than economical with the truth, deals in smoke and mirrors, says one thing then does another, none of it matters as long as it comes out right in the end.

If this Boris deal goes through then GB (if not all of the UK) are out of the EU. NI voted (had a majority) to remain in the EU and will now get their collective wish, well almost their wish and should under the terms envisage get a massive boost (economic boost) with the gateway to the rest of the UK being via the Irish Sea. Effectively the Government in London will have a lessening influence in NI till eventually there will be, if not in name, then in economic terms a United Ireland (Confederation type arrangements maybe?) with the DUP able to play any trump card it wishes down the line and most of the economic problems landing one way or another on Dublin's doorstep, as NI will now effectively be inside the 'big tent' as far as the economics on the Island of Ireland are concerned.

The term Great Britain will then be used more often and more widely once again; however this would be paving the way for constitutional changes (maybe even a written one!) with probably Scotland gaining independence, but voting to remain within GB constitutionally (stranger things have happened) because that's the side their bread will be buttered. It would be a gamble for Scotland because hard line SNP voters may decide to join the queue to regain access as a Sovereign Nation to the EU. However it seems strange that having just gained independence they would want to subjugate themselves once again to a political super state, they would still get a cosier deal as an independent entity within a constitutionally revamped GB.

Boris can see his majority at the next GE building steadily, the Brexit party almost extinct, Lib Dem's fox has been shot, Labours in-fighting gets worse and with Scotland in particular, happy to accept Independence within a constitutionally revamped GB (the Welsh too maybe?) its plain sailing. Almost as Dominic predicted!

Raulduke

This is very unusual for the DUP, they are normally water tight with whatever the party line is on a particular issue.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is very unusual for the DUP, they are normally water tight with whatever the party line is on a particular issue.

Dodds is the real power in the DUP - whatever he say's goes generally. Arlene is just the mouthpiece so if Dodd's is against it it's hard to see them going for it.

Smores

Barclay in the committee mentioned something about compensation to less prosperous areas. That's an odd way to describe a bribe to the DUP but i suppose he has to spin it somehow :lol:

You'd think such direct bribery of MPs votes wouldn't be allowed.