Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

So here's Kuenssberg's tweet this morning. The spin itself is impossible not to notice. Johnson has achieved the impossible, she essentially claims.

And later on, Peston tweets the Downing Street brief on how they are going to "sell" the deal and put a positive frame on it. Funnily enough, exactly the spin that the BBC's Political Editor decided to apply to it earlier this morning. Do some people still seriously believe she is unbiased?

Raulduke

Political declarations mean nothing. Malta/Italy added a sentence in the Lisbon treaty regarding immigration and its worth less then then the ink it's been written with

Let me repeat my question. What is stopping the UK from flooding the single market with non EU complaint products through NI?
The customs border down the Irish sea and the fact that NI will be abiding by EU standards and regulations. Not only that but the fact that NI is significantly Pro EU particularly in Stormont.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
If Parliament reject this deal, will the EU grant an extension?

I think Boris might be proposing this deal knowing parliament could probably reject it and the EU say enough is enough and we leave without a deal.

Pfft you're looking at the glass half empty!
Parliament will reject every deal. Pointless having an extension.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The customs border down the Irish sea and the fact that NI will be abiding by EU standards and regulations. Not only that but the fact that NI is significantly Pro EU particularly in Stormont.
NI will also be aligned with the UK right?

devilish

They'll be aligned with the UK customs union in name only. Legally they'll be following EU customs, single market and VAT rules by and large.
You're either in and following the rules to the letter or you're out. That's the way you safeguard the integrity of one's market. It would also be interested to see if NI will follow the ECJ rules and regulations and what are the repercussions if NI decides to shun its responsibilities and start closing an eye on products being flooded from the UK into the single market.

Rooney24

They'll be aligned with the UK customs union in name only. Legally they'll be following EU customs, single market and VAT rules by and large.
In practice and simple Terms what does this mean?

That the UK including NI will be negotoiating their own trade deals, but as a result of any trade deal the goods going in and out of NI have to adhere to EU rules?

Im a bit confused about the whole out of the customs Union / applying EU rules thing. A practical example is probably going to help me understand it :)

Edit: For example, if the UK leaves the Customs Union and then strikes trade deals with other countries - NI will be included as part of that trade deal? So if for example cars were then imported into the UK under that deal the cars going into NI have to meet EU Standards and not UKs? Is that how it would work in basic terms?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Parliament will reject every deal. Pointless having an extension.
That is the reality of this situation. We were lied to that leaving would be easy. Utter rubbish.
We were lied to that leaving would make us better off. Utter rubbish.
We are being told that leaving will be an end to Brexit. Utter rubbish.

Smores

I still go back to what i said previously, they've calculated that appearing compromising is better electorally than going into an election with no deal.

The ERG in their excitement of getting rid of May forgot that the likes of Gove and Boris don't really care about Brexit.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
That is the reality of this situation. We were lied to that leaving would be easy. Utter rubbish.
We were lied to that leaving would make us better off. Utter rubbish.
We are being told that leaving will be an end to Brexit. Utter rubbish.
Yes , Brexit will go on for many years whether there is a deal or not.
Brexit imo has very little to do with the EU but internal British politics with a heavy sprinkling of nationalism and xenophobia thrown in.
And everyone wants something different.

We're now actually back to the near beginning of negotiations which was the original EU suggestion and two and a half years of pointlessness and chest-thumping which will never stop until someone says that's enough.

Raulduke

You're either in and following the rules to the letter or you're out. That's the way you safeguard the integrity of one's market. It would also be interested to see if NI will follow the ECJ rules and regulations and what are the repercussions if NI decides to shun its responsibilities and start closing an eye on products being flooded from the UK into the single market.
As I understand it NI would remain under the ECJ also. NI will effectively be in the the EU single market and customs union with respect to the areas the EU have assessed as most critical to the integrity of the single market such as agri-food for example. There is provision in the deal for agreed exemptions and personal items traveling from GB to NI when someone moves from GB to NI is the example quoted in the deal. NI is pro-remain and will likely continue to become even more pro-remain in the coming years so the chances of them agreeing to turn a blind eye to GB flooding the EU with unregulated products via NI is never going to happen, particularly considering the amount of EU funding NI receives.

Raulduke

Wow, for "ministers are concerned" read "get on board or we're offering a border poll".

bleedred

This is like Ed buying Maguire for 80M and claiming genius, when we could have got him for 60M last year. If I were May, I would be fuming, had she got his through Boris and Mugg would have ripped her to shreds.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As I understand it NI would remain under the ECJ also. NI will effectively be in the the EU single market and customs union with respect to the areas the EU have assessed as most critical to the integrity of the single market such as agri-food for example. There is provision in the deal for agreed exemptions and personal items traveling from GB to NI when someone moves from GB to NI is the example quoted in the deal. NI is pro-remain and will likely continue to become even more pro-remain in the coming years so the chances of them agreeing to turn a blind eye to GB flooding the EU with unregulated products via NI is never going to happen, particularly considering the amount of EU funding NI receives.
Are you sure about the ECJ though?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is like Ed buying Maguire for 80M and claiming genius, when we could have got him for 60M last year. If I were May, I would be fuming, had she got his through Boris and Mugg would have ripped her to shreds.
No its far worse than that.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
but but Churchill said eating your words is a very nourishing diet

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't think the EU will grant an extension. There needs to be a meaningful deadline at some point.

I could perhaps see them granting an extension for a referendum that includes a Revoke option... maybe. I think they probably don't want us to stay though, as a vote to remain would only be temporary and we'll end up triggering A50 again at some point in the next decade to do it all again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
BREAKING: Juncker rules out Brexit extension
BBC
The President of the European Commission rules out granting an extension to the Brexit deadline of 31 October. Jean-Claude Juncker tells reporters there is no need for an extension now there is a deal on the table.
The European Commission President says he spoke to Boris Johnson about the prospect of an extension.
Jean-Claude Juncker told reporters: "I was ruling out that there would be any kind of prolongation. If we have a deal we have a deal and there is no need for prolongation. That is the British view and that is my view too."
Asked about whether the Commons would allow it, he said: "I am not in charge of Parliamentary affairs of Britain."

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mini Caption Contest: Boris Sings The Blues

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I don't think the EU will grant an extension. There needs to be a meaningful deadline at some point.

I could perhaps see them granting an extension for a referendum that includes a Revoke option... maybe. I think they probably don't want us to stay though, as a vote to remain would only be temporary and we'll end up triggering A50 again at some point in the next decade to do it all again.
Yes, but we're not going to get to the point of a referendum unless the option is still available. Unless the 27 shoot Juncker down quickly over this position, MPs will feel like its this deal or no deal and probably vote it through without major amendment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
BREAKING: Juncker rules out Brexit extension
BBC
The President of the European Commission rules out granting an extension to the Brexit deadline of 31 October. Jean-Claude Juncker tells reporters there is no need for an extension now there is a deal on the table.
The European Commission President says he spoke to Boris Johnson about the prospect of an extension.
Jean-Claude Juncker told reporters: "I was ruling out that there would be any kind of prolongation. If we have a deal we have a deal and there is no need for prolongation. That is the British view and that is my view too."
Asked about whether the Commons would allow it, he said: "I am not in charge of Parliamentary affairs of Britain."

devilish

Well I hope you're right. From a purely economic POV, NI is better off using its entry point in the EU to become the smuggling cove for the UK into the single market.