Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don't Kill Bill

Putting to one side of the question whether or not the UK and its fishermen have a real grievance, how can it be sensible policy to risk significant disruption to the manufacturing and services sector in the hope of benefiting a tiny industry which contributes a fraction of 1% of GDP? It is just cynically playing to the gallery of ill-informed, knuckled-headed nationalism.

Except the EU is doing exactly the same thing without being questioned or judged at all with obviously less justification for their position and about that there is an eery silence on here.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Herring and mackerel are forage fish and part of the food chain. The fish we do eat feed on them, leaving them in UK waters would be a huge boost to that environment and increase the long term sustainable stocks for the future.

Banning UK fish from Europe might sound like a good idea but I'm not sure it is and treating UK differently to any other country post brexit breaks WTO rules anyway doesn't it?
Maybe but the UK mainly eats fish like cod which are not in UK waters. They won't be banned from selling in Europe but there'll be standards to meet , duties, customs, angry fishermen not letting British trawlers dock at the European ports etc, a lot of problems for very little benefit. Back to the 60s and 70s.

Basically a lot of fuss about very little .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Herring and mackerel are forage fish and part of the food chain. The fish we do eat feed on them, leaving them in UK waters would be a huge boost to that environment and increase the long term sustainable stocks for the future.

Banning UK fish from Europe might sound like a good idea but I'm not sure it is and treating UK differently to any other country post brexit breaks WTO rules anyway doesn't it?
Who told you that UK fishes would be banned? It just won't be as competitive and the main issue is that you don't have the vessels to exploit pelagic fishes which is why many british quotas owners sold their quotas to larger british fisheries and why foreign fisheries were able to buy british licenses and quotas too. And by the way the vast majority of fishermen in the UK are coastal fishermen, they aren't in the herring and mackerel business and they don't/won't have the capicity to become pelagic fishermen.

Don't Kill Bill

You're the one not looking at it with some distance. Try and remember that finding a deal is beneficial to both sides. Yes the EU will try and extract as many benefits as they can from the deal, and why wouldn't they? They're negotiating for their citizens and their industries and economies. If the EU are refusing to sign a deal though, then its because the proposed deal isn't good enough to warrant the sacrifices it will cost them. At that point it doesn't matter what the UK think is fair or want, if the EU doesn't gain enough to benefit then they won't sign up to a deal, its very simple.

We warned you about this right back before the referendum even happened. Negotiating a complex trade deal with a much more powerful group is never going to result in a deal in your favour. It's certainly never going to result in a deal that is even close to as beneficial as the deal you had while part of that group.
So stop arguing that it is fair then and we can leave it at that. This thread is full of people claiming the UK is being unreasonable at least you drop that facade and so also the infuriating pretense that the UK is cherry picking and admit that its the EU pressing beyond equity. Progress at last. It might be the UK gives way in the end but as a negotiating tactic you want full value for the concession. You don't get that by allowing the idea that it was a fair request in the first place.Which it isn't.

I voted remain on the balance of risk as I don't share your love of all things EU. I didn't hear or need your warning for what its worth and I doubt your expertise in complex trade deals is any more advanced than mine.

JPRouve

Scout
So stop arguing that it is fair then and we can leave it at that. This thread is full of people claiming the UK is being unreasonable at least you drop that facade and so also the infuriating pretense that the UK is cherry picking and admit that its the EU pressing beyond equity. Progress at last. It might be the UK gives way in the end but as a negotiating tactic you want full value for the concession. You don't get that by allowing the idea that it was a fair request in the first place.Which it isn't.

I voted remain on the balance of risk as I don't share your love of all things EU. I didn't hear or need your warning for what its worth and I doubt your expertise in complex trade deals is any more advanced than mine.
No one has ever suggested what you are saying. People have quite clearly stated that the larger market will dictate its will, that's how it has always worked the UK used to benefit from it as a member of a large market.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The only people talking about that kind of childish definition of 'fairness' are Brexiters who seem to think that everyone should treat the UK like an equal or superior. The UK IS cherry picking, its asking for more than its economic weight justifies while refusing to give ground in return.

Probably not, but I'm damn sure that Paul's is. Maybe you should listen to him?

Don't Kill Bill

Who told you that UK fishes would be banned? It just won't be as competitive and the main issue is that you don't have the vessels to exploit pelagic fishes which is why many british quotas owners sold their quotas to larger british fisheries and why foreign fisheries were able to buy british licenses and quotas too. And by the way the vast majority of fishermen in the UK are coastal fishermen, they aren't in the herring and mackerel business and they don't/won't have the capicity to become pelagic fishermen.
"

I thought you were keeping up but here is one example for you.

Warning of the dangers of a confrontation on fisheries, Ms de Montchalin issued a veiled threat to UK fishermen, suggesting France could ban the sale of British fish in the EU if access to UK fishing waters is denied.

On the BBC for instance A Marr show from a couple of months ago.

What next JPR you going to pretend she is not French or has nothing to do with the EU?

Don't Kill Bill

The only people talking about that kind of childish definition of 'fairness' are Brexiters who seem to think that everyone should treat the UK like an equal or superior. The UK IS cherry picking, its asking for more than its economic weight justifies while refusing to give ground in return.

Probably not, but I'm damn sure that Paul's is. Maybe you should listen to him?
I'm afraid neither of you are really worth listening too on this thread. You are both too invested in your ant UK/ brexit bullshit.

JPRouve

Scout
"

I thought you were keeping up but here is one example for you.

Warning of the dangers of a confrontation on fisheries, Ms de Montchalin issued a veiled threat to UK fishermen, suggesting France could ban the sale of British fish in the EU if access to UK fishing waters is denied.

On the BBC for instance A Marr show from a couple of months ago.

What next JPR you going to pretend she is not French or has nothing to do with the EU?
So you are talking about the irrational example that she used and clearly stated as irrational and not beneficial? In response to a question from Marr that highlighted a theoretical intransigence from the british government when he said that it would be literally impossible to grant access to UK's waters to EU vessels?

And she didn't say that France would ban it either.

Paul the Wolf

I'm afraid neither of you are really worth listening too on this thread. You are both too invested in your ant UK/ brexit bullshit.
Brexit is a really stupid thing to do, always has been , always will be, for whatever reason people pretend why they voted thus. I'm quite confident that you will become of the same opinion within a year or so. All the warnings and predictions of outcomes were ignored because random Brexiters suddenly became experts on trade and WTO and blind faith that Britain will succeed simply because they're British.

I would say the same if France were ever that stupid as well.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Irony on irony. Will your next post be about how there is no such thing as irony or that only naive Brexiteers use the word to mean irony I wonder.
Personally I think Brexiteers are fecking idiots, but luckily for me I live in France so when the UK doesn't get its magic deal, and all the things we warned about and got called liars over come to pass, I'll just be drinking a beer and wishing them the best. Good luck with your little Englander outlook, I'm sure it'll be worth something at the negotiating table.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Personally I think Brexiteers are fecking idiots, but luckily for me I live in France so when the UK doesn't get its magic deal, and all the things we warned about and got called liars over come to pass, I'll just be drinking a beer and wishing them the best. Good luck with your little Englander outlook, I'm sure it'll be worth something at the negotiating table.
How's things going with permanent residency there? Is it easy to do if you've already been residing there for a while? I feel fortunate that I have PR in Canada now. The UK looks so unattractive to me as a place to live right now.

Don't Kill Bill

So you are talking about the irrational example that she used and clearly stated as irrational and not beneficial? In response to a question from Marr that highlighted a theoretical intransigence from the british government when he said that it would be literally impossible to grant access to UK's waters to EU vessels?

And she didn't say that France would ban it either.

"Uwe Richter, managing director of the Euro Baltic Fish Processing Company in Sassnit, Germany, said hundreds of fishermen from his own country risked going out of business if the UK stuck to its strict demands on access to its rich waters. He said fishermen in the UK "understand" that EU member states will not buy anything they land unless their own boats can continue to reap the same benefits they enjoyed before Brexit. "

No one has ever said they would ban UK fish though right, that was me just being stupid and making up shit?

Theoretically how many people would I have to quote threatening to ban or invoking the threats of others to ban UK fish unless they have access to UK waters would it take to prove my point that people were threatening to ban UK fish.

Followed hopefully by you retracting the point that no one ever threatened to ban UK fish.

I'm just asking

Don't Kill Bill

I know mate and its lucky for everyone in the UK that you do too.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This thread really is the worst and brings out the worst of literally all possible sides on this particular debate :lol:.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
How's things going with permanent residency there? Is it easy to do if you've already been residing there for a while? I feel fortunate that I have PR in Canada now. The UK looks so unattractive to me as a place to live right now.
Yeah, you can have it (or nationality) after 5 years. Unfortunately you also need to be able to speak French, and my brain doesn't seem to like it very much (to my French gf's annoyance). :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've been thinking about this recently in a slightly abstract, existential kind of way, after you posted something similar a week or so ago. I'd been thinking about returning to Australia even before Brexit if I'm honest, the quality of life is so much better there than it is in the UK.

This doesn't apply to Kentonio or Paul for instance I guess as they have moved to stay within the EU and the free movement that provides. But I did think there was something slightly funny about moving to escape this decision and the changes it will make in terms of freedom of movement, to a country that offers absolutely no more freedom of movement at all and which has an immigration system that the right wing in this country salivate over. The same applies to Canada I assume in terms of free movement etc?

Paul the Wolf

Yeah, you can have it (or nationality) after 5 years. Unfortunately you also need to be able to speak French, and my brain doesn't seem to like it very much (to my French gf's annoyance). :lol:
I took the UK sample test for applicants for the UK the other day that was in the Guardian .- got 100% right - application refused, reason: you're far too intelligent;)

JPRouve

Scout
"Uwe Richter, managing director of the Euro Baltic Fish Processing Company in Sassnit, Germany, said hundreds of fishermen from his own country risked going out of business if the UK stuck to its strict demands on access to its rich waters. He said fishermen in the UK "understand" that EU member states will not buy anything they land unless their own boats can continue to reap the same benefits they enjoyed before Brexit. "

No one has ever said they would ban UK fish though right, that was me just being stupid and making up shit?

Theoretically how many people would I have to quote threatening to ban or invoking the threats of others to ban UK fish unless they have access to UK waters would it take to prove my point that people were threatening to ban UK fish.

Followed hopefully by you retracting the point that no one ever threatened to ban UK fish.

I'm just asking
So now you are quoting a fishermen who talks about a potential boycott and not a ban. You would have to find one person who threatened the UK and is in a position to do anything.

Also I didn't call you stupid, I asked you a simple question without insult, so don't play the victim.

Last edited:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I've been thinking about this recently in a slightly abstract, existential kind of way, after you posted something similar a week or so ago. I'd been thinking about returning to Australia even before Brexit if I'm honest, the quality of life is so much better there than it is in the UK.

This doesn't apply to Kentonio or Paul for instance I guess as they have moved to stay within the EU and the free movement that provides. But I did think there was something slightly funny about moving to escape this decision and the changes it will make in terms of freedom of movement, to a country that offers absolutely no more freedom of movement at all and which has an immigration system that the right wing in this country salivate over. The same applies to Canada I assume in terms of free movement etc?
Yeah as of right now I don't benefit from freedom of movement at all just because I'm just a permanent resident, but once I get citizenship in a couple of years I'll have freedom of movement within Schengen via my Canadian passport (you get a stamp when you enter and another once you leave). It'll probably be the same for UK citizens I guess?

I actually moved to Canada because I met a Canadian girl. She has a dog so it was easier for me to move to Canada than for her to move to the UK. What I have found though is that I feel more at home here in Canada than I did in the UK, especially after the Brexit vote. It feels like people in the UK have different opinions to me. I also earn far more living in Toronto than I ever would've staying in the town where I used to live in the UK.

Canada is generally more welcoming to immigrants than the UK is right now, but they do control the numbers. For example if you want to apply for a working holiday visa and go to Australia and don't have a criminal record/haven't overstayed on a visa, then it takes about 20 minutes and you have it. If you're applying for the same visa for Canada then they only give out a certain number of them each year, so you end up in a pool of people hoping you get picked to apply. Some people can sit in the pool for years and never get picked. Right now there are 2,500 working holiday visa's available to UK citizens aged between 18 & 30, and about 7 or 8 thousand waiting to be picked. I consider myself lucky that I was picked out of the pool and then moved here. It's led to me becoming a PR and being able to build a life here. I didn't really have much going on in the UK when I left. I don't even have a bank account in the UK now.

Honestly if you have the option to go to Australia instead of living in the UK then I would take it. Everyone I've spoken to seems to enjoy life there much more and enjoy a better life style.

@Jonno I think you wrote a post a while ago about living in Australia and how great it's been for you?

Don't Kill Bill

So now you are quoting a fishermen who talks about a potential boycott and not a ban. You would have to find one person who threatened the UK and is in a position to do anything.

Also I didn't call you stupid, I asked you a simple question without insult, so don't play the victim.

"French intransigence over access to UK fisheries threatens chances of trade deal compromise
French parliamentarians are pressuring Emmanuel Macron to stand his ground over access to UK fishing grounds in Brexit trade negotiations, potentially making it harder for EU negotiator Michel Barnier to reach a sought after but as yet elusive compromise with Britain.

In a report approved by the National Assembly’s European affairs committee on Thursday, lawmakers urged the government to fight to keep French fishermen’s right to work in British waters.

“The (European) Union must continue to guarantee that fishing won’t be sacrificed to save other sectors,” a report seen by Reuters says. It was co-written by Jean-Pierre Pont, a member of parliament for Macron’s party who represents the town of Boulogne on the English Channel, France’s busiest fishing port.

The issue is becoming one of the main sticking points in the Brexit transition negotiations.

Britain intends to become an “independent coastal state” after a transition ends this year, arguing it should have yearly negotiations to set fishing quotas with the EU as Norway does. London also does not want any agreement on fisheries to be linked to a free trade deal.

EU diplomats had told Reuters last month the bloc was willing to shift its stance on fisheries and move from the “maximalist position” of maintaining the existing situation to help forge a trade deal with Britain.

But any French refusal to budge could make it harder for Barnier, who negotiates on behalf of the EU’s 27 members.

“The government must stay as firm as possible,” Pont told Reuters. “Britain can’t be better off outside than inside.”

The increased pressure on Macron comes after his foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, who is from the coastal region of Brittany, warned he was determined to defend access to British waters.

The lawmakers also urged Paris to do more to prepare for a no-deal, which they said was the “most likely scenario”."

JPRouve

Scout
"French intransigence over access to UK fisheries threatens chances of trade deal compromise
French parliamentarians are pressuring Emmanuel Macron to stand his ground over access to UK fishing grounds in Brexit trade negotiations, potentially making it harder for EU negotiator Michel Barnier to reach a sought after but as yet elusive compromise with Britain.

In a report approved by the National Assembly’s European affairs committee on Thursday, lawmakers urged the government to fight to keep French fishermen’s right to work in British waters.

“The (European) Union must continue to guarantee that fishing won’t be sacrificed to save other sectors,” a report seen by Reuters says. It was co-written by Jean-Pierre Pont, a member of parliament for Macron’s party who represents the town of Boulogne on the English Channel, France’s busiest fishing port.

The issue is becoming one of the main sticking points in the Brexit transition negotiations.

Britain intends to become an “independent coastal state” after a transition ends this year, arguing it should have yearly negotiations to set fishing quotas with the EU as Norway does. London also does not want any agreement on fisheries to be linked to a free trade deal.

EU diplomats had told Reuters last month the bloc was willing to shift its stance on fisheries and move from the “maximalist position” of maintaining the existing situation to help forge a trade deal with Britain.

But any French refusal to budge could make it harder for Barnier, who negotiates on behalf of the EU’s 27 members.

“The government must stay as firm as possible,” Pont told Reuters. “Britain can’t be better off outside than inside.”

The increased pressure on Macron comes after his foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, who is from the coastal region of Brittany, warned he was determined to defend access to British waters.

The lawmakers also urged Paris to do more to prepare for a no-deal, which they said was the “most likely scenario”."
What is the relevance of that? France have been around the table alongside several other countries, no one disputed that. Now there is a minor problem with the title because none of Sweden, Netherlands, Spain, France, Denmark, Ireland and Belgium are allegedly willing to compromise. I kind of hope that british negotiators don't overlook the others, they need to convice everyone.https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-uk-fishing-in-troubled-waters-in-brexit-talks/

For the first time since the start of the negotiations, Barnier this week consulted with fisheries ministers from France, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Ireland and Belgium. Their message was clear: There is no room for compromise by the EU.

"There was nervousness after some press reports that the EU would be willing to concede on fish," said one EU official. "That meeting had already been planned, but it was good to reassure EU countries that we were sticking to our plan."

"The unanimity among ministers was striking," said one EU diplomat who listened in on the meeting. "Ministers all stressed how important it was that the Commission is sticking to its negotiating mandate."

"All ministers expressed full confidence in Michel Barnier and his team to defend the essential objectives and principles set down in the mandate," Irish Marine Minister Michael Creed said afterward. "I reiterated Ireland’s full commitment to the EU negotiating mandate and delivering an outcome that upholds our existing access and quota shares. That position was also supported by other ministers."

Jonno

@Jonno I think you wrote a post a while ago about living in Australia and how great it's been for you?
Yes mate I absolutely did, I lived in Oz for 2 years, and then an even better country in NZ for 2 years in terms of how it's ran, governments etc.

I only moved home to sunny Lancashire because the Mrs got pregnant - D'oh! We were on the verge of coming over to your neck of the woods, I had my visa approved and was all set.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Yes mate I absolutely did, I lived in Oz for 2 years, and then an even better country in NZ for 2 years in terms of how it's ran, governments etc.

I only moved home to sunny Lancashire because the Mrs got pregnant - D'oh! We were on the verge of coming over to your neck of the woods, I had my visa approved and was all set.
Oh nice where you headed? Did you apply for PR or get a working holiday visa? Seems like they are allowing people to enter with WHV's or new PR's under some circumstances.

MoskvaRed

Thinking about this ridiculous fishing issue, is there any chance the UK are building it up so they can later trade it as a “major concession” for something that actually matters? Or do I give Johnson and co far too much credit?

JPRouve

Scout
Thinking about this ridiculous fishing issue, is there any chance the UK are building it up so they can later trade it as a “major concession” for something that actually matters? Or do I give Johnson and co far too much credit?
The problem is that while the subject is serious for a part of the fishing lobby, it's not the biggest problem in these negotiations. The first point that Barnier mentioned is infinitely more important yet it has barely made the news:

First, there must be robust guarantees for a level playing field – including on State aid and standards – to ensure open and fair competition among our businesses, also over time. This is a core interest for all 27 Member States – and in my view also for the UK.
That point affects everything and doesn't allow a lot of room for concesssions while the fisheries issue is manageable, I don't think that the UK's proposition to have a deal comparable to Norway is unreasonable in theory, the issue is mainly that fishing lobbies don't want to give in but I think that the UK should talk to them directly.

Maticmaker

:lol:Britannia will always rule the waves in Little Englanders' eyes.
Not with only one Aircraft carrier and no planes it won't!

Perhaps the coming fishing war will give the UK Government the excuse to build a fleet of fast off shore patrol vessels with surface-to-surface missiles, it would re-ignite the ship building economy, arms manufacturers, naval dockyards and surrounding communities.

F-Red

I'm specifically talking about most businesses having some sort of process/contingency plan around Brexit from last year (talking from my own experience). What we're seeing here is just a supply element, no doubt PPE and some covid related medication, which has been dwindled throughout the last 6 months. Given the focus on production of those (and the fact most supply chains are up and running). I would be hugely surprised in any short term issues.

The medium term supply is the area that should be of worry.