Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most people in Scotland? Her popularity has never been better according to polls
Perhaps, but her opposition do not get equal coverage.

She is on UK TV far too much, she’s clearly enjoyed the COVID exposure and is killing it for everything it’s worth. Can’t blame her, that’s politics, but I’m sick of the sight of her.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

She is on UK TV far too much, she’s clearly enjoyed the COVID exposure and is killing it for everything it’s worth. Can’t blame her, that’s politics, but I’m sick of the sight of her.
I’m English living in England and I think her leadership and guidance to Scotland has been incredibly important over the last 5 months. She has been the only adult in the room at times when Boris, Cummings and their cabinet have been doing and saying the most irresponsible shit. Her resistance to their often negligent and almost suicidal actions has proven to be a very important voice in the conversation within the UK, especially when the media have been so subservient to the government no matter how ridiculous and dangerous their advice had been.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Better than hiding in a fridge to be fair.
I would quite like it if BoJo and Cummings were permanently locked in an industrial fridge TBH. If necessary we could turn it off, drill air holes in it and make a small hatch to drop food to them occasionally.

Smores

I'm sure the sane amongst you avoid brexit twitter rabbit holes but i always find them telling.

They're now gaslighting themselves on mass that the WA was signed by May and it's the Benn Traitor Bill. Watching them change a number of recent historic events to fit their new agenda is both scary and amusing.

They've always wanted no deal apparently :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m English living in England and I think her leadership and guidance to Scotland has been incredibly important over the last 5 months. She has been the only adult in the room at times when Boris, Cummings and their cabinet have been doing and saying the most irresponsible shit. Her resistance to their often negligent and almost suicidal actions has proven to be a very important voice in the conversation within the UK, especially when the media have been so subservient to the government no matter how ridiculous and dangerous their advice had been.
I'm guess Clayton doesn't like her because she's getting in the way of the Great British Machine or something.

The opposition don't get "equal coverage" because when they do get the opportunity to talk they all feck it up royally. Besides, when has the opposition ever gotten coverage equal to the leading parties? It's such a daft thing to complain about.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Boris is the one who tried to use Covid for his own political agenda, making a trip up here to talk about how this proves we're better together. Sturgeon was baited into getting into a debate about the union and she handled it well, saying that her focus was on the pandemic.

I've jumped between Labour and SNP a lot recently and it's because she's the only statesperson we've got up here. Labour are useless as they think they have a God given right to votes in my area. They're the political equivalent of Sony during the PS3's launch!

TheGame

Another Brexiteer selling the oven ready deal before the election then thinking it’s the worse thing ever now. It’s shameful people believe these idiots have our best interests and believe them.

Maticmaker

They've always wanted no deal apparently
Don't think its a case of wanting a no deal, its been obvious to anyone who cared to consider the outcome from the get go, whether Brexiteer or Remainer, that no deal was the only answer to leaving!
There was no way the EU could or would agree a deal with us, certainly whilst we were still members and they said that loud and often, it was our stupid politicos' who ignored it.
The transition period should have been one year from 23rd June 2016 and concentrated not on a new deal or another (Norway, Australia, or Canada) type deal etc. but on parting as amicably as possible and trying to avoid cliff edges for both parties, which is what will have to happen now in any case.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I see that we are back to stock piling medicine again, and of course we now have the worry about certain medicines that you are unable to stock pile. Aaah I love modern Britain.

TheGame

Don't think its a case of wanting a no deal, its been obvious to anyone who cared to consider the outcome from the get go, whether Brexiteer or Remainer, that no deal was the only answer to leaving!
There was no way the EU could or would agree a deal with us, certainly whilst we were still members and they said that loud and often, it was our stupid politicos' who ignored it.
The transition period should have been one year from 23rd June 2016 and concentrated not on a new deal or another (Norway, Australia, or Canada) type deal etc. but on parting as amicably as possible and trying to avoid cliff edges for both parties, which is what will have to happen now in any case.
Funny how that wasn’t disclosed by the Leavers when campaigning and when they kept saying a deal is a simple thing. Don’t think no deal is the answer, the UK wants to keep its membership benefits whilst not being a member. Give and take are needed in the negotiations. Boris allegedly had a deal ‘oven ready’ and now they are distancing themselves from it and saying it is unfair but forgetting that he campaigned on that basis and that’s why people voted for him because they thought it was the end of this madness.

Maticmaker

Funny how that wasn’t disclosed by the Leavers when campaigning and when they kept saying a deal is a simple thing. Don’t think no deal is the answer, the UK wants to keep its membership benefits whilst not being a member. Give and take are needed in the negotiations. Boris allegedly had a deal ‘oven ready’ and now they are distancing themselves from it and saying it is unfair but forgetting that he campaigned on that basis and that’s why people voted for him because they thought it was the end of this madness.
No Deal was the only answer after the decision taken in 2016 was to leave.

However neither side told the truth, right from the beginning when the UK first joined the so called 'common market' , the truth became whatever successive UK governments wanted it to be, they played down the bits they didn't like and played up the things they did, depending on their political fortunes at the time.... even within the same party.
"The Will of the people' has never held sway on single issues in this country otherwise we would likely still be using the death penalty for murder. Why Cameron ever contemplated, let alone promising that the referendum outcome would be implemented, 'whatever the outcome', only he will know? Perhaps he was going for the 'hat-trick', defeating the indyref in Scotland 2014, returning the first clear Tory majority government for years in 2015 and kicking the backsides of his Brexit colleagues in 2016, if he had won he would have gone down as one of the all time great Tory leaders.

He didn't, he hasn't, and now his old mate Boris has stepped into the breach, and he can only go one way now or destroy the Tory Party for ever.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another Brexiteer selling the oven ready deal before the election then thinking it’s the worse thing ever now. It’s shameful people believe these idiots have our best interests and believe them.

I have long stopped getting angry with brexiteers. The people to blame are the voters. It's fecking shameful people couldn't see through this facade.

FireballXL5

I have long stopped getting angry with brexiteers. The people to blame are the voters. It's fecking shameful people couldn't see through this facade.
Unfortunately, I think it's exactly what most of them wanted.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I frankly believe that the UK will be ok. They will find a way to trade fairly with everyone in the world. Will be some disadjustments at the beginning but it will be in everyone's best interest to trade

Berbasbullet

I frankly believe that the UK will be ok. They will find a way to trade fairly with everyone in the world. Will be some disadjustments at the beginning but it will be in everyone's best interest to trade
That’s lovely.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
That’s lovely.
Don't get me wrong, economically, Brexit is shooting on your own foot and UK will grow less outside than inside the EU in my opinion, but it will not be as apocalyptic as is depicted. On paper, hard Brexit would be terrible, (WTO, bureaucracy, Just in time production supply chain, etc...) but money always find a way

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Given that the whole leave campaign was run on the premise that no deal wasn't an answer anyone was considering or was in any way likely I think this statement is revisionist bullshit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't get me wrong, economically, Brexit is shooting on your own foot and UK will grow less outside than inside the EU in my opinion, but it will not be as apocalyptic as is depicted. On paper, hard Brexit would be terrible, (WTO, bureaucracy, Just in time production supply chain, etc...) but money always find a way
I think you are right - it will be far worse than it is being depicted. It is already terrible and is only going to get much much worse until we rejoin with out tail between our legs in a decade or two.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I think you are right - it will be far worse than it is being depicted. It is already terrible and is only going to get much much worse until we rejoining with out tails between our legs in a decade or two is the only option.
Well, I hope for your sake that is not like that. In the end, will be always the same who will pay the price, the poor and not the assholes that provoked this mess. As a case study it fascinates me. As reality, can get very ugly and I dont want that for anyone.

Maticmaker

Given that the whole leave campaign was run on the premise that no deal wasn't an answer anyone was considering or was in any way likely I think this statement is revisionist bullshit.
Not for me its not, I've been saying this since the off...read my back posts.
As far as everyone else is concerned, you need only go back to the moment Theresa May uttered those immortal words "No deal is better than a bad deal", that a no deal outcome was the likely answer.

...Oh and stick your bullshit where the sun don't shine!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
As far as everyone else is concerned, you need only go back to the moment Theresa May uttered those immortal words "No deal is better than a bad deal", that a no deal outcome was the likely answer.
The problem is that going back to that moment is still AFTER the referendum.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well that makes one of you.

And did you really say this in the lead up to the referendum?

You do realise that she made this statement more than 2 years after the referendum and more than 3 years after the dishonest campaign where no deal was sold as a luducrius ideal that was only a reality in remain campaign "project fear propoganda"? She also made it to try to make a Tory "Unicorrns for all" deal fly with the EU and not to promote "no deal".

That isn't very nice. And also rather ironic.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Yeah don’t pretend that pre referendum no deal was seen as a viable option, it wasn’t and leavers would laugh at the suggestion (an awful lot of quotes out there to back this up).

The only people who mentioned no deal were remainers and they just got heckled as project fear.

Project reality is coming and I for one am scared as hell.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, I hope for your sake that is not like that. In the end, will be always the same who will pay the price, the poor and not the assholes that provoked this mess. As a case study it fascinates me. As reality, can get very ugly and I dont want that for anyone.
We have a Tory government. So you can be 100% sure who will pay and who will be enriched. Coronavirus and the economic suicide of Brexit? What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Maticmaker

The only people who mentioned no deal were remainers and they just got heckled as project fear.
That was me, ...at least in terms of economics, it was stay if you cant getting anything better, but once the vote was leave then get out immediately because it was always going to be a 'no deal', (bad deal)the EU said this from the get go!

Now we have a situation were the WA agreement is going to cost us dearly and we still have no trade deal at the end.

To be fair I've never subscribed to the 'project fear', in fact strange as it may sound I think that did more harm than good with a section of the public, it played right into the hands of those who were making out the EU was 'pushing us around'. The UK will survive because like everyone else our economy has been battered by Covid and it will be a case of 'first up best dressed' as things move forward. If Boris gets his leadership right and forges ahead with his economic plans, the UK will be one of the 'best dressed'.

Berbasbullet

That was me, ...at least in terms of economics, it was stay if you cant getting anything better, but once the vote was leave then get out immediately because it was always going to be a 'no deal', (bad deal)the EU said this from the get go!

Now we have a situation were the WA agreement is going to cost us dearly and we still have no trade deal at the end.

To be fair I've never subscribed to the 'project fear', in fact strange as it may sound I think that did more harm than good with a section of the public, it played right into the hands of those who were making out the EU was 'pushing us around'. The UK will survive because like everyone else our economy has been battered by Covid and it will be a case of 'first up best dressed' as things move forward. If Boris gets his leadership right and forges ahead with his economic plans, the UK will be one of the 'best dressed'.
But I thought the WA was oven ready? You're telling me it is actually still no deal?!

Well maybe you were smart enough to see no deal coming but I don't think, any leavers would have said that at the time.

Hmm do you think boris could get his boss Cummings to dress better?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Well, there's zero evidence of that so far, but I guess your optimism is...something.

Fingeredmouse

@Maticmaker
It wasn't actually "Project Fear". That was the collective political slogan used by the leave campaign to absolutely any objection to leaving the EU whatsoever. It didn't play into anyone's hands rather it was a tactic of manipulation and avoidance and they continue to use those tactics to this very day.

Maticmaker

But I thought the WA was oven ready? You're telling me it is actually still no deal?!

Well maybe you were smart enough to see no deal coming but I don't think, any leavers would have said that at the time.

Hmm do you think boris could get his boss Cummings to dress better?
As I understand it the WA is not only 'oven ready' its all cooked and has already been served, trouble is there are no main course/dessert to follow; so we are paying for a 3 course meal and getting only the first course!

I wasn't being smart, it was surely blindingly obvious, the EU had been saying all along they could not negotiate with us whilst we were still a member, except to decide on the bill we had to pay to leave and this was really what WA was about. Paying the bill was our 'top trump' negotiating card and May tossed it on the table first time around in a 'blind bet'. After that it was, for me at least, blindly obvious there would be no deal, the EU said "thanks UK for the memory and the £xyz Millons and now 'feck off.'"
Every leaver I know agreed this is what would happen, once May had placed her 'blind bet' on the WA.

Its Cummings getting Boris best dressed not the other way around!

Maticmaker

@Maticmaker
It wasn't actually "Project Fear". That was the collective political slogan used by the leave campaign to absolutely any objection to leaving the EU whatsoever. It didn't play into anyone's hands rather it was a tactic of manipulation and avoidance and they continue to use those tactics to this very day.
Oh please... there was a number of utterances from the remain camp which threatened 'hell and high water' after Brexit, these were the statements the leave campaign was able to seize on and brand as 'project fear'.

Fingeredmouse

Oh please... there was a number of utterances from the remain camp which threatened 'hell and high water' after Brexit, these were the statements the leave campaign was able to seize on and brand as 'project fear'.
...and associate absolutely any subsequent objection under the same bracket. Funnily enough the remain campaign didn't create the expression.
It's sloganeering bullshit politics of the highest order.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Having your fairly prosperous country become poorer, less safe and less influential does seem like it deserves a warning or two.

Maticmaker

...and associate absolutely any subsequent objection under the same bracket. Funnily enough the remain campaign didn't create the expression.
It's sloganeering bullshit politics of the highest order.
Correct, remainers with outlandish claims about what might happen, which were made before the referendum, laid the ground for 'project fear' which the leavers scooped up with open arms...talk about giving someone a stick to beat you with , its ludicrous.
Leavers did not try to point to what might occur after Brexit except in generalities, e.g. 'taking control' etc.

Having your fairly prosperous country become poorer, less safe and less influential does seem like it deserves a warning or two.
Yes true, but the points were not made in general terms as you have above, they were specific things about, no fly zones, shortages of medicines, bans on travelling in Europe, etc. a direct attempt to frighten people, hence 'project fear', but it back fired because in many cases there were alternatives or at least tit-for-tat responses, which would hurt at least part of the EU as much as it might hurt the UK. At times it effectively became a 'pi**ing contest' with claim and counter claim getting evermore ludicrous.

Berbasbullet

Correct, remainers with outlandish claims about what might happen, which were made before the referendum, laid the ground for 'project fear' which the leavers scooped up with open arms...talk about giving someone a stick to beat you with , its ludicrous.
Leavers did not try to point to what might occur after Brexit except in generalities, e.g. 'taking control' etc.

Yes true, but the points were not made in general terms as you have above, they were specific things about, no fly zones, shortages of medicines, bans on travelling in Europe, etc. a direct attempt to frighten people, hence 'project fear', but it back fired because in many cases there were alternatives or at least tit-for-tat responses, which would hurt at least part of the EU as much as it might hurt the UK. At times it effectively became a 'pi**ing contest' with claim and counter claim getting evermore ludicrous.
Except many of those things you are describing as project fear are going to happen.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

But unless the Uk has an agreement there would be restrictions on flying shipping travelling, there would be shortages because of delays and customs, paperwork and so on The reality of what Brexiters have voted for has not sunk in at all and they won't realise it until next year so the UK should be praying that some kind of agreement is in place by the end of this year.

People think it's an exaggeration and "project fear" - it isn't.

The Withdrawal agreement is what it says, for the withdrawal not a new agreement , only a rough outline for the future that both sides hope will happen.

One gets the impression that Brexiters think life in the Uk will carry on just as before but possibly with a few less foreigners, some laws that you will have control of, the same with the borders.
Things that everyone took for granted will no longer be the same - that's what was voted for, it's going to change, and I don't possibly see how it can be better- there's no positive outcome and haven' t heard a Brexiter describe what they expect it to be like , because they don't know beyond these ridiculous slogans

For me Brexit is as insane today just as it was more than four years ago.

MoskvaRed

Probably, but because of Covid not Brexit!
Even more reason not to inflict avoidable damage on the economy when it is already reeling from Covid. It can go one of two ways - either Johnson uses Covid as an excuse for, as a minimum, extending transition and then possibly striking an inevitably concession-filled deal with the EU or he goes for no deal hoping he can blame all the pain on Covid.

Maticmaker

and they won't realise it until next year
"This time next year we will all be ...."
Paul neither side seems concerned about next year, getting through Covid is the big thing and that's now!

By the way who is going to lend trillions of euros directly to the EU, without cast iron agreements from member states on repayment, IMF? What will that do to their balance sheet and their ability to help places like Lebanon?