Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
To be honest I don't think it would have changed the mind of those you describe. My argument was that a sufficient number of traditional working class voters could have changed their minds to have affected an overall vote to remain, if an appeal to their modest aspirations had been taken on board by the remain campaign in the way it presented its case.

The Labour party was split asunder on the issue and had all but abandoned its working class/red wall supporters on lots of other matters beside the EU and this, as much as anything, drove many in deprived areas into the Brexit camp, simply because it was suggesting 'change' and a major change at that. For years most of these people, my parents were some of them, would have voted for a dog or cat or anything wearing a Labour rosette, yet thousands changed a habit of a lifetime in one GE, to vote Tory, because their traditional politicians, apart from a honourable few, had deserted them, or more importantly no longer spoke their language.

It was a missed opportunity that many will regret and not all on the Brexit side.
The Leave campaign could not believe their luck at such a crucial stage in UK history with Laurel and Hardy in charge of the Labour Party. The people I was talking about were previously mainly traditional labour voters but also voted Tory for the first time ever.

Maticmaker

The Leave campaign could not believe their luck at such a crucial stage in UK history with Laurel and Hardy in charge of the Labour Party. The people I was talking about were previously mainly traditional labour voters but also voted Tory for the first time ever.
On the button there Paul!

mitChley

My friend up in Lancashire said there are empty shelves in the supermarkets. Is this panic-buying, supply problems or a bit of both?
It was the same in Sheffield when I went Saturday evening. About 5 or 6 items I had listed which they had zero off. Not sure if it's Covid or Brexit but I do know that I have no Crème Fraiche.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
:lol:Lead story on the DM. Their readers are not happy.

'Welcome to Brexit, sir!' Dutch police officers laugh at British truck driver as they confiscate his ham sandwiches due to new import rules… while he asks if he can 'just keep the bread'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...h-truck-driver-confiscate-ham-sandwiches.html

Rum Drinker, Manchester, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
We need to stop shipping goods via the port of Rotterdam, I'm sure that will make the Dutch happy!

Aphrodite4574, Midlands, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Pathetic, that sums up the stupidity of the EU, thank god were out.

HenryCuthbertEdward, Henley-on-Thames., United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
This will not end well for the Brussels Empire...all empires eventually fail & fall.

Paul the Wolf

'Welcome to Brexit, sir!' Dutch police officers laugh at British truck driver as they confiscate his ham sandwiches due to new import rules… while he asks if he can 'just keep the bread'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...h-truck-driver-confiscate-ham-sandwiches.html

We need to stop shipping goods via the port of Rotterdam, I'm sure that will make the Dutch happy!

This will not end well for the Brussels Empire...all empires eventually fail & fall.
If we were in normal times without Covid, there would a humorous story every day as the dumb Brexiters start realising what they actually voted for.

I do wish they would stop saying "new rules" though as if they've just been invented for Brexit.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If we were in normal times without Covid, there would a humorous story every day as the dumb Brexiters start realising what they actually voted for.

I do wish they would stop saying "new rules" though as if they've just been invented for Brexit.
The rules are not invented. But frankly, do you think they take the food of truckers from lets say Belarus a the polish border? or from switzerland? I don't know the status of Andorra with the EU, but they never asked me (Spain-Andorra-France and viceversa) that when I crossed the border and as far as I know, their produce is not valid for the common market

Could be an excess of zeal against UK as revenge for Brexit? or to make a point at the beginning? because yes, everywhere there is infinity of rules that are ignored and we give a certain degree of leeway. Any kind of laws

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The rules are not invented. But frankly, do you think they take the food of truckers from lets say Belarus a the polish border? or from switzerland? I don't know the status of Andorra with the EU, but they never asked me (Spain-Andorra-France and viceversa) that when I crossed the border and as far as I know, their produce is not valid for the common market

Could be an excess of zeal against UK as revenge for Brexit? or to make a point at the beginning? because yes, everywhere there is infinity of rules that are ignored and we give a certain degree of leeway. Any kind of laws
No that's what happens when you leave the EU or enter it. Andorra has a custom agreement with the EU.

Paul the Wolf

Andorra is in a Customs Union with the EU except agricultural products so an agricultural product made in Andorra could be liable to have a phytosanitary certificate if taken to Spain or France.
On another point French customs often stop people who buy Spanish cigarettes at low prices because of low taxes, there is a limit to what they can bring.
Switzerland and Liechtenstein not applicable for the phytosanitary.

Don't think it's excess of zeal or revenge but goods traffic is at less than 25% of the normal and passenger traffic must be much lower than that so chances of being checked are high.
Even when the UK were in the EU there were always random checks at the border so if they come across something that shouldn't cross the border then the goods would be confiscated , they could always fine the culprits as well, don't think they've done that yet.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
No that's what happens when you leave the EU or enter it. Andorra has a custom agreement with the EU.
UK has an agreement too.

And I checked, Andorra has no agreement on produce. Anyway, my point is that on the borders with the Custom union, I don't know if the zeal is as much as with the Brittish currently, just an assumption (correct or not)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Andorra is in a Customs Union with the EU except agricultural products so an agricultural product made in Andorra could be liable to have a phytosanitary certificate if taken to Spain or France.
On another point French customs often stop people who buy Spanish cigarettes at low prices because of low taxes, there is a limit to what they can bring.
Switzerland and Liechtenstein not applicable for the phytosanitary.

Don't think it's excess of zeal or revenge but goods traffic is at less than 25% of the normal and passenger traffic must be much lower than that so chances of being checked are high.
Even when the UK were in the EU there were always random checks at the border so if they come across something that shouldn't cross the border then the goods would be confiscated , they could always fine the culprits as well, don't think they've done that yet.
So if something that I put in my sandwhich bought in Andorra could be confiscated...and believe me, I do it everytime I go because is cheaper. I never been stop, there are random stops, but a very small percentage. Is that video from the Dutch police as random as in other borders? or is just that now is the novelty and everything is posted?

JPRouve

Scout
UK has an agreement too.

And I checked, Andorra has no agreement on produce. Anyway, my point is that on the borders with the Custom union, I don't know if the zeal is as much as with the Brittish currently, just an assumption (correct or not)
No the UK has an FTA, not a custom agreement. Also two FTAs or Custom agreements aren't equals, the rules depend on what is agreed.

Paul the Wolf

So if something that I put in my sandwhich bought in Andorra could be confiscated...and believe me, I do it everytime I go because is cheaper. I never been stop, there are random stops, but a very small percentage. Is that video from the Dutch police as random as in other borders? or is just that now is the novelty and everything is posted?
Now that the UK have left the EU Customs Union there will be many more checks than before and every commercial crossing of the border with trucks that obviously carry goods that require a phytosanitary or veterinary certificate will be checked. Serious problems for a company that don't comply although they seem lenient at the moment as companies who have no such experience just have to redo their paperwork.

The UK don't have an agreement that exempts them from supplying phytosanitary or veterinary certificates for products that require them. The same as all countries that are not in a Custom's Union with the EU.

On a side point, considering the UK are/were so keen on the USA, they check every container, get a phytosanitary certificate wrong or one of other forms that are required wrong or even a dirty container and the US customs will send the container back to where it came from at the seller's cost.

From the UK's point of view, it seems they are not ready to do the necessary checks as they don't have sufficient facilities or staff so they haven't really taken control of their borders but lost control of their sandwiches .

Balljy

I've seen people get stopped at airports and have food taken from luggage. Australia was particularly stringent on it.

JPRouve

Scout
I've seen people get stopped at airports and have food taken from luggage. Australia was particularly stringent on it.
In french airports they target flights and sometimes specifically check people for food.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
On that airport border police programme they just basically opened every Chinese tourist's suitcase to check or that certainly seemed their strategy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
On that airport border police programme they just basically opened every Chinese tourist's suitcase to check or that certainly seemed their strategy.
I think it is more a case of the worst offenders are Chinese so they make the final edit most often although i'm sure there is a bit of profiling based on past evidence. I think "random" checks, sniffer dogs and x-rayed luggage catch most.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Gammon mad about ham.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, Australia is an isolated island that tries to protect flora and fauna, the same as Chile with the natural barrier of the Andes and they get pretty serious. Now, doing check between europes is not the same after thousands of years importing everything from everywhere in the continent and do check ins from Belarus, Ukrania or Turjey would be petty for phitosanitarian reasons (besides if the country is importing from other continents)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes, Australia is an isolated island that tries to protect flora and fauna, the same as Chile with the natural barrier of the Andes and they get pretty serious. Now, doing check between europes is not the same after thousands of years importing everything from everywhere in the continent and do check ins from Belarus, Ukrania or Turjey would be petty for phitosanitarian reasons (besides if the country is importing from other continents)
I've always found it interesting how it works with Canada (which you also know, of course). When I fly from Europe to Canada, I have to fill out a customs declaration, which includes questions about food I'm taking in. If done as required, you're going to have to give up your sandwiches. I have not yet seen them check people's luggage to see if they filled out the declaration honestly though. In any case, the other way round, flying from Canada to mainland Europe (mostly the Netherlands), they ask me nothing, and I could legally bring in whatever I want. (Although I think you'd have to declare liquor when passing customs?)

From that context, I'm not sure why Dutch border guards do check so stringently on imports now; but of course I am not a freight transporter, and the new Brexit situation might cause additional scrutiny, to make sure the new rules are being followed.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I've always found it interesting how it works with Canada (which you also know, of course). When I fly from Europe to Canada, I have to fill out a customs declaration, which includes questions about food I'm taking in. If done as required, you're going to have to give up your sandwiches. I have not yet seen them check people's luggage to see if they filled out the declaration honestly though. In any case, the other way round, flying from Canada to mainland Europe (mostly the Netherlands), they ask me nothing, and I could legally bring in whatever I want. (Although I think you'd have to declare liquor when passing customs?)

From that context, I'm not sure why Dutch border guards do check so stringently on imports now; but of course I am not a freight transporter, and the new Brexit situation might cause additional scrutiny, to make sure the new rules are being followed.

Thats exactly what I mean. I suspect (maybe wrongly) that this stringent check ups to the brittish might be maybe as a warning to set a bar educate what they can or can't do, because truckers will talk among them. Maybe also because they know that the press is checking the consequences of brexit for sensationalism. I suspect that in 6 months, those checks (sandwhich like level, not business related) will be way less and for sure we will hear way less

redshaw

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55617849
Brexit leaves Spain's Costa Brits facing dilemmas

"For any UK citizens arriving now, here are some of the differences.

For tourists, including people who have second homes in the country but haven't taken residency, you can no longer come and go as you please. You can spend up to three months out of every six here.

To be able to live in Spain now, you will need to show proof that you're earning, either through having a contract with a Spanish company, or by proving that you have at least £2,000 (€2,223; $2,705) a month coming into your account.

For a family, it will be much more. You will need to show that you have an extra £500 a month for each member of the family. For example, a family of four will need to prove they earn a yearly salary of at least £42,000.

British driving licences will also need to be changed to Spanish ones."

Lots of older Brits leaving Spain, those that wanted to go probably won't now so the landscape will change a lot over the coming years.

Always seemed odd that people would vote to remove the chance to retire in a nicer country.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55617849
Brexit leaves Spain's Costa Brits facing dilemmas

"For any UK citizens arriving now, here are some of the differences.

For tourists, including people who have second homes in the country but haven't taken residency, you can no longer come and go as you please. You can spend up to three months out of every six here.

To be able to live in Spain now, you will need to show proof that you're earning, either through having a contract with a Spanish company, or by proving that you have at least £2,000 (€2,223; $2,705) a month coming into your account.

For a family, it will be much more. You will need to show that you have an extra £500 a month for each member of the family. For example, a family of four will need to prove they earn a yearly salary of at least £42,000.

British driving licences will also need to be changed to Spanish ones."

Lots of older Brits leaving Spain, those that wanted to go probably won't now so the landscape will change a lot over the coming years.

Always seemed odd that people would vote to remove the chance to retire in a nicer country.
They did as well. I don't know if it's the same with expats in other EU countries as Spain seems to attract most of the riff raff.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hate the fact they call them "expat" but I am called an immigrant. Annoys me more than it should. Find it an insult.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hate the fact they call them "expat" but I am called an immigrant. Annoys me more than it should. Find it an insult.
'Expat' to me always meant someone who lived somewhere temporarily for professional reasons, but I see Merriam-Webster defines is simply as 'a person who lives in a foreign country'. In any case, I agree that its use here for retired people is clearly a case of double standards, to use an euphemism. (Immigrants are those non-whites at home, so one of 'us' abroad can't called be immigrants.)