Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Brexit still makes me so angry. Many of my freedoms taken away from me such as freedom of movement among many others. The unnecessary damage it will do to the country as a whole and it’s not even like this couldn’t have been predicted. So many people said before the vote “ermmmmm this really isn’t a good idea” but to feck with logic when you can use throwaway daily mail headlines as your arguments despite their lack of bearing on anything. “Freedom!”, “sovereignty!”, “taking back control!”.
Complete and utter muppets. I wouldn’t be so angry if they just owned it. Just owned up to the fact they’ve been duped, that Brexit is shit, there’s no sun lit uplands and that they made a mistake but nope, all of them pretty much always double down.
All of this for what? feck every single brexiter, I don’t care if it generalised them, I’m still too damn angry about this shit show too care.
At least I can get an Irish passport to soften the blow some what.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Brexit still makes me so angry. Many of my freedoms taken away from me such as freedom of movement among many others. The unnecessary damage it will do to the country as a whole and it’s not even like this couldn’t have been predicted. So many people said before the vote “ermmmmm this really isn’t a good idea” but to feck with logic when you can use throwaway daily mail headlines as your arguments despite their lack of bearing on anything. “Freedom!”, “sovereignty!”, “taking back control!”.
Complete and utter muppets. I wouldn’t be so angry if they just owned it. Just owned up to the fact they’ve been duped, that Brexit is shit, there’s no sun lit uplands and that they made a mistake but nope, all of them pretty much always double down.
All of this for what? feck every single brexiter, I don’t care if it generalised them, I’m still too damn angry about this shit show too care.
At least I can get an Irish passport to soften the blow some what.
It still amazes me that people voted for this utter madness. Living in Australia at my age it probably doesn't really affect me but if my wife wasn't Irish it would affect my son who may well want to work in Europe in the next few years.

I'm sad he will probably never have a UK passport as it is now pointless.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Everyone know what the solution is....re-join.
Easier said than done. It would require a huge culture change as well as a completely different government. There are many bridges to be mended and while I'm certain the EU hasn't closed the door on us returning, they won't just welcome us back with open arms unless changes are made.

Balljy

Easier said than done. It would require a huge culture change as well as a completely different government. There are many bridges to be mended and while I'm certain the EU hasn't closed the door on us returning, they won't just welcome us back with open arms unless changes are made.
If we did re-join, we would quite rightly have to work closer with the EU and lose all the benefits and budget reductions we had previously. I'd also expect us to move to the Euro. It won't happen for a generation or two unfortunately, although I think it will eventually when our economy starts falling off long term.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If we did re-join, we would quite rightly have to work closer with the EU and lose all the benefits and budget reductions we had previously. I'd also expect us to move to the Euro. It won't happen for a generation or two unfortunately, although I think it will eventually when our economy starts falling off long term.
Yeah, the EU really wouldn't accept another reluctant member into their fold - like the UK has tended to be. Rejoining would mean having to fully embrace the EU this time round, including its currency, standards, and so on - I really don't see that happening for a long time for the UK. I think things are more likely to shift to a strong partner situation, like Norway or (formerly) Switzerland (if I'm not mistaken on those). That also means accepting a lot of EU standards, but the UK would keep things like its currency and its own immigration policy.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Yeah, the EU really wouldn't accept another reluctant member into their fold - like the UK has tended to be. Rejoining would mean having to fully embrace the EU this time round, including its currency, standards, and so on - I really don't see that happening for a long time for the UK. I think things are more likely to shift to a strong partner situation, like Norway or (formerly) Switzerland (if I'm not mistaken on those). That also means accepting a lot of EU standards, but the UK would keep things like its currency and its own immigration policy.
Single market, all rules, ECJ , no say, not in customs union. 4 freedoms (including FoM) Don't see Uk agreeing to this.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Single market, all rules, ECJ , no say, not in customs union. 4 freedoms (including FoM) Don't see Uk agreeing to this.
Certainly not in the near future. But if the UK were to make its way back towards the EU, I think steps towards this would happen firrst, rather than going for full membership again right away.

Paul the Wolf

Certainly not in the near future. But if the UK were to make its way back towards the EU, I think steps towards this would happen firrst, rather than going for full membership again right away.
This is what Farage and the original Brexiteers promoted before the referendum until they later found out what it actually meant (they had no idea or plan for Brexit). This would be like being in the EU but having no say whatsoever and also still doesn't solve the Northern Ireland border. It's Ok for a country like Norway to an extent, not for a country the size of the UK. It also represents exactly what Brexiters moaned about the EU.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The issue being that the EU changed its foreign politics strategy which is why Switzerland have decided to step back. In theory you can't do the step by step/cherry picking shenanigans anymore, so if you struggle with a withdrawal agreement I don't even want to see what a comprehensive deal that includes the EU pillars is going to look like.

Paul the Wolf

I just saw this:

Iain Duncan Smith, the former Tory leader who previously served in cabinet with Truss, said she had been “one of the more robust people on China, and I hope that now she will take to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office that robust attitude and make it clear that we can’t reward this Chinese regime with more trade deals”.

He hoped her enthusiasm for entering the Pacific trade partnership known as CPTPP would continue, pushing for the UK to “project ourselves post-Brexit to stop China becoming completely dominant” in the region.

Brunei and Malaysia await with bated breath.

Wonder if they've read up on what joining the CPTPP involves.

Living in a Brexit wonderland, away with the fairies.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I just saw this:

Iain Duncan Smith, the former Tory leader who previously served in cabinet with Truss, said she had been “one of the more robust people on China, and I hope that now she will take to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office that robust attitude and make it clear that we can’t reward this Chinese regime with more trade deals”.

He hoped her enthusiasm for entering the Pacific trade partnership known as CPTPP would continue, pushing for the UK to “project ourselves post-Brexit to stop China becoming completely dominant” in the region.

We owned a few of the countries in the CPTPP though, so everyone will get to feel all nostalgic.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I just saw this:

China will be desperate for those trade deals I'm sure.....

Paul the Wolf

Just a bit of info on the CPTPP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_and_Progressive_Agreement_for_Trans-Pacific_Partnership

Certain selected sections:

1) In June 2020, the government of the United Kingdom issued a policy paper[83] reaffirming the UK's position on accession to the CPTPP. There were three reasons given:

• Securing increased trade and investment opportunities that will help the UK economy overcome the unprecedented challenge posed by coronavirus. Joining CPTPP would open up new opportunities for UK exporters in strategically important sectors and helping to support an industrial revival in the UK.
  • Helping the United Kingdom diversify trading links and supply chains, and in doing so increasing economic security at a time of heightened uncertainty and disruption in the world.
  • Assisting the UK's future place in the world and advancing the UK's longer-term interests. CPTPP membership is an important part of our strategy to place the UK at the centre of a modern, progressive network of free trade agreements with dynamic economies. Doing so would turn the UK into a global hub for businesses and investors wanting to trade with the rest of the world.
Furthermore, the UK government stated that in 2019, each region and nation of the UK exported at least £1 billion ($1.25 billion) 'Wow all that!) worth of goods to CPTPP member countries.[84] The UK government also highlighted that UK companies held close to £98 billion worth of investments in CPTPP countries in 2018[85] and that in 2019, the UK did more than £110 billion ($137 billion) worth of trade with countries in the CPTPP free trade area.[86] In December 2020 the UK's Secretary of State for Trade Liz Truss further expressed her desire for the UK to formally apply in early 2021.[87] In a speech, held on January 20, 2021, Truss announced the UK planned to submit an application for participation "shortly".[88] In October 2020 the United Kingdom and Japan already signed the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement which was a roll over of the agreement between the EU and Japan.

2) The UK government has not produced an impact assessment that explains or quantifies the benefits it expects for the UK economy from accession to CPTPP.[89] As such, it is a matter of dispute in UK as to whether accession is worth pursuing for economic reasons.[90] Farmer, environmental and consumer groups have all raised concerns that the UK government will need to agree to lowering standards on pesticides, pig welfare and food labelling.[91] These concerns have also been raised by the Scottish government.[92]

In June 2021, the CPTPP states agreed to open accession talks. A working group is expected to be established to discuss tariffs and rules governing investment and trade. The UK is not expected to accede to the CPTPP until 2022 at the earliest.[93]

3) Economist José Gabriel Palma has criticized the treaty for severely restricting the sovereignty of the signatories.[113] Signatories are subject to international courts and have restrictions on what their state-owned enterprises can do.[114] According to Palma the treaty makes it difficult for countries to implement policies aimed to diversify exports thus becoming a so-called middle income trap.[113] Palma also accuses that the treaty is reinforcing unequal relations by being drafted to reflect the laws of the United States.[114]

Plus the UK already have roll-over deals from the EU with most of them. Not NZ, Aus, Malaysia or Brunei yet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't know that Marks & Spencer existed in France.

Fluctuation0161

0le

I’m in London. Got a KFC near Heathrow airport. They didn’t have any sweetcorn. No big deal. Chips were a bit tasteless though. Can I have some salt? Sorry. We don’t have any salt. WTF?
KFC. Healthy food at last.

Paul the Wolf

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Are imperial measures even still taught in schools in the UK?

Paul the Wolf

No and shipping documents must be in metric. Their wares won't be going anywhere.
And if their wares don't comply with the standards of the countries they're trying to sell to, it's a double whammy.

Brexit Suicide Cult now on turbo-charge.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No and shipping documents must be in metric. Their wares won't be going anywhere.
And if their wares don't comply with the standards of the countries they're trying to sell to, it's a double whammy.

Brexit Suicide Cult now on turbo-charge.
This seems like such a bit of silly nostalgia! :lol:

(Returning to imperial measures I mean, not you Paul. ;) )

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

No, that's why it's possible now, because it's pretty irrelevant. And if some old gadger wants to sell his black puddings in pounds on Bury market and his doddering old customers like it who cares? It will be absolutely gutting for him to find his multi-million pound export wagon being turned back at Calais customs though.

Of course it could be the start of a genuine reversal of metrification but is there anyone here actually dim enough to consider that's going to happen? You can make your own mind up on that one.

stevoc

So they're trying ensure NI don' t continue to get the benefits the rest of the UK aren't getting, levelling up.
If for some reason starting tomorrow it was decided that every home in Britain will have it's toilet removed and everyone had to use a chamber pot going forward. The DUP would rip their own toilets out.

Superden

anyone who argues for Brexit being a WIN on the basis of imperial measurements becoming more a thing, is way past reasoning with.

some great threads on twitter from measurement experts (some in the employ of UK govt agencies) tearing this idea to pieces. some of the responses to them from brexit mainacs are mind boggling.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Brexiters will have their ideal Britain soon

White people eating spam sandwiches at tea time before the lights go out.

Paul the Wolf

p
This seems like such a bit of silly nostalgia! :lol:

(Returning to imperial measures I mean, not you Paul. ;) )
:)
I'm in my mid-60s and we stopped being taught imperial measure in primary school; it's a load of flag-waving stupidity as per everything that comes from the Uk government.
Having done a load of trade with the USA they are still partly in imperial measures but different imperial measures.

Problem is it is quite evident not one single member of the government has the first clue about trade.
Although this imperial measure thing is silly nonsense, the changing of standards and the new UKCA standard they want to bring in 2023 (postponed from 2022) is going to have a disastrous effect on both exports and imports because they do not understand what the implications are. They really don't.

RoyH1

The going back to Imperial measures reeks of insanity. What's next? Obligatory bowler hats in state schools?

What are they trying to accomplish. What kind of vision do they have for Great Britain in 2030 other than a bunch of words like sovereignty, freedom etc...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The going back to Imperial measures reeks of insanity. What's next? Obligatory bowler hats in state schools?

What are they trying to accomplish. What kind of vision do they have for Great Britain in 2030 other than a bunch of words like sovereignty, freedom etc...
You only need to look at or listen to Rees Mogg for 10 seconds to understand where this nonsense comes from.

Maticmaker

making a return (apparently)!

Weight Measures
all together now, in a sing-song voice ...
16 ounces (oz) = 1 pound (Ib);
14 Ib = 1 Stone (st);
2 st or 28 lb = 1 quarter (qtr);
4 qtr or 112 lb = 1 hundredweight (cwt);
20 cwt or 2240 lb = 1 ton....

and repeat..........
Easy peasy!!

for your homework look up the Imperial - Volume, Area, Length, Measures