Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Reminds me of the kilometres
Why Michael Caine was wearing a headscarf at the beginning is beyond me.
The first one is a classic, everytime I see it I can't get over the fact that while it is stupid, it is also endearing.

Edit: I also like the guy who did 10 years in a 5 years long war.

decorativeed

Reminds me of the kilometres
Why Michael Caine was wearing a headscarf at the beginning is beyond me.
That last bloke nearly sacrificed his life, and not to get rid of fascism and nazism, but so we can keep dividing things into twelfths. I must have missed that Churchill speech.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That last bloke nearly sacrificed his life, and not to get rid of fascism and nazism, but so we can keep dividing things into twelfths. I must have missed that Churchill speech.
"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious metric apparatus of the Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our measurement system whatever the cost may be.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender our miles and pounds and pints."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So in order to placate a bunch of idiots who have had forty fecking years to learn the new system and still can't understand it, we're going to feck everything up for 90% of the population? Cool, cool.

We'll see United Transfer Fee style conversions as well so businesses can line their pockets with a few extra crowns. "1 pound of sugar, mate? That's about half a kilo in Johnny Foreigner. 1kg of sugar used to cost you about £1.60, so in pounds that's.... Twice the price for 0.46 pounds which makes 1 pound cost... Let's round up to £7, yeah? And since a pound is half a kilo let's double the pounds to £14. That'll be £36 plus the social care tax. So that's £287, mate."

Last edited:

Balljy

So in order to placate a bunch of idiots who have had forty fecking years to learn the new system and still can't understand it, we're going to feck everything up for 90% of the population? Cool, cool.

We'll see United Transfer Fee style conversions as well so businesses can line their pockets with a few extra crowns. "1 pound of sugar, mate? That's about half a kilo in Johnny Foreigner. 1kg of sugar used to cost you about £1.60, so in pounds that's.... Twice the price for 0.46 pounds which makes 1 pound cost... Let's round up to £7, yeah? And since a pound is half a kilo let's double the pounds to £14. That'll be £36 plus the social care tax. So that's £287, mate."
If schools are going to teach this, it will set us back years in wasted time. I've got to the stage where I don't care if those idiots sell it as some propaganda like they do everything else but if they really mean it...

Balljy

I still use imperial measurements, not sure what is wrong with that.
There's no problem with you or other people using them now, but we should be teaching schoolkids the system that will likely be used worldwide not some defunct measure. I think it's 3 countries worldwide who still officially use non-metric measures (one of which is the US)?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
There's no problem with you or other people using them now, but we should be teaching schoolkids the system that will likely be used worldwide not some defunct measure. I think it's 3 countries worldwide who still officially use non-metric measures (one of which is the US)?
Will you be happy with a half litre in the pub for the same price?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Myanmar and Liberia. The US system is not the same as the UK one.
For trading with other countries it has to be metric.

No-one cares if the old bloke goes down the pub and asks for a pint but trying to be global Britain using an imperial system is insanity.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
These people are beyond parody.

They’re getting excited about the crown stamp going back on a pint glass too.

Genuinely just utterly utterly stupid.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
These people are beyond parody.

They’re getting excited about the crown stamp going back on a pint glass too.

Genuinely just utterly utterly stupid.
Just imagining Bruce or Tarquin proudly looking at the crown stamp and saying "Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! Now that's a proper British pint!" as they take a sip of their Stella Artois or Carlsberg*

*They would drink their local stout but the brewery shut down because they couldn't export their product anymore.

JPRouve

Scout
Thats what happens, it always does. I remember the disaster when the euro came in and the only thing that changed was the symbol of the money on the price tag
You are making no sense, why would the volume of the same container change based on the unit that you use? Current pints in the UK are an Imperial Pint or 568.26mL, the volume is constant. Unless british pubs decide to use french pints, your pint will have the same volume regardless of the unit that you use.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
You are making no sense, why would the volume of the same container change based on the unit that you use? Current pints in the UK are an Imperial Pint or 568.26mL, the volume is constant. Unless british pubs decide to use french pints, your pint will have the same volume regardless of the unit that you use.
I think you miss the point, if they start using half litre glasses to be all 'European' i doubt they would change the price. Not too hard to undestand is it? Or should i explain it in Esperanto? ;)

JPRouve

Scout
I think you miss the point, if they start using half litre glasses to be all 'European' i doubt they would change the price. Not too hard to undestand is it? Or should i explain it in Esperanto? ;)
Of course I missed the point, that's why I said that what you wrote made no sense in the context of a change of standard unit. Now your point is interesting because I wonder who is "they" and why they would use half liter glasses, there is a bunch of different volumes called a pint, some are larger than the Imperial pint and others are smaller and since you used 500ml as an example while it's called a pinte in french, the equivalent of an Imperial pint is a chopine.

All of that to say that it is the reason why the metric system makes more sense, a liter is a liter everywhere.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why would the UK have suddenly started doing that to be all 'European' (an illogical phrase anyway as the UK is, has always been and will always be 'European' ) when they'd been part of the EU for decades at that point?

Or were the bogeyman EU not even going to allow us to pour pints in the way we wanted to anymore?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Going well so far isn't it. You'd think they're talking about a third world country on the news at the moment.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Remember the heady days of 2016

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-36877573

The world was their oyster. Five years and three months later not a single deal signed that wasn't EU negotiated and copied.
And the only one that might be signed in the near future is one they'd be better off without.

Would they listen, no they wouldn't.
Great line from that article.

That is despite a short term economic shock from leaving the European Union.