Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm struggling to understand what the government were thinking here. They either just want to appear to be doing something so they can make up excuses while it continues to get worse, or they are that pompous that they think Johnny Foreigner is going to rush to the UK at the mere whiff of a British fart.
Both probably.
On Thursday last week there were no problems according to the government.
Now they're blaming the public for panic buying.

More government panic to follow.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
One of the things that bothers me the most about all this on a social level is how Brexiteers, after doing this to our country, are refusing responsibility… they either adopt a laughable, ‘it’s not Brexit’ stance, or they try and push the angle, ‘look, it’s done now, let’s stop talking about it’…

Both of which I find utterly pathetic.

They did this to our country to begin with because they were blaming other people for everything, and now that they’re seeing the utter feck up they bought into they’re yet again trying to offload the responsibility!

Out of interest how many of you have lost friendships / acquaintances over Brexit?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We'll blame climate change for Brexit woes next. At least there might actually be some action taken against it.

Balljy

I saw that some brands were 90% dry, if true the government waited way too long before doing something.
It happens very quickly when the idiots start panicking. When the news got out late last week the forecourts were selling 5x the fuel they sell on a normal day so the issue went from nothing to out of fuel very quickly.

On the bright side there will be empty petrol stations when I get round to filling up later in the week when everybody has waited in the queues and has full tanks.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It happens very quickly when the idiots start panicking. When the news got out late last week the forecourts were selling 5x the fuel they sell on a normal day so the issue went from nothing to out of fuel very quickly.

On the bright side there will be empty petrol stations when I get round to filling up later in the week when everybody has waited in the queues and has full tanks.
Yeah, I've just not bothered till I need to go, by then the stations will be empty again :lol: don't know where everyone thinks they're going with full tanks tbh. Still, even with a shortage, people will 100% drive 5 mins up the road to do the school run / nip to shop. People still won't car share to work.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
One of the things that bothers me the most about all this on a social level is how Brexiteers, after doing this to our country, are refusing responsibility… they either adopt a laughable, ‘it’s not Brexit’ stance, or they try and push the angle, ‘look, it’s done now, let’s stop talking about it’

They did this to our country to begin with because they were blaming other people for everything, and now that they’re seeing the utter feck up they bought into they’re yet again trying to offload the responsibility!

Out of interest how many of you have lost friendships / acquaintances over Brexit?
I keep seeing that more and more, a kind of faux-magnanimity, 'we need to move on and pull together'. God forbid any leave voter is honest enough to admit it was a godawful mistake.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
One of the things that bothers me the most about all this on a social level is how Brexiteers, after doing this to our country, are refusing responsibility… they either adopt a laughable, ‘it’s not Brexit’ stance, or they try and push the angle, ‘look, it’s done now, let’s stop talking about it’…

I don’t think I’ve lost friends but I’ve lost a lot of respect for people.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yet another climb down by the government. Can't call it embarrassing because they are too thick to be embarrassed.
I really do hope that none of the 5,000 truck drivers that they are trying to entice take up the offer of a temporary visa to come here and work.
Visas are by definition temporary but this has a Whig of "please come and save us from this deep shit. When we don't need you anymore, we'll feck you off".

mitChley

And that's the problem with England, people in the North go around smiling at each other and talking silly while the people in the south are left to run the country. No wonder Ole's still in a job.
"'In the North West it rains and rains. And yet we managed to produce the best music, the Industrial Revolution, the trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down South, where the Sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and fecking Dave."

Simbo

People are nervous, they know we fecked up whether they admit it or not and are now easily spooked. Sat on the edge of their seats waiting to get ahead of the next crisis inevitably waiting round the corner.

Maticmaker

If you had a Brexit vote now, continue as we mean to go on or reverse everything back to 2016 I think it would be comfortably 60%+ in favour of remain. That’s what I’d expect a real vote on it to achieve.

If you could somehow extract the truth out of everyone with a “are you better off in or out” style vote it would be 75%+ remain.

I think the 2019 election as well was thoroughly built on “just get on with it and get it over” with no real thought of the consequences. Now those consequences are known I’d be interested in how those people are feeling now.

“Strong and stable Conservative government or Jeremy Corbyn’s coalition of chaos”
Sounds a bit like a post match analysis thread!
If only VAR hadn't cancelled our two offside (Brexit) goals; if only the manager had played 'X' (Adonis) instead of 'Y', (Farage); if only the crowd (Remainers) had got behind Cameron.... if only we were top of the league!!!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Sounds a bit like a post match analysis thread!
If only VAR hadn't cancelled our two offside (Brexit) goals; if only the manager had played 'X' (Adonis) instead of 'Y', (Farage); if only the crowd (Remainers) had got behind Cameron.... if only we were top of the league!!!
I suppose it is similar in that the club (country) are run by a bunch of corrupt, rich pricks who don't care about the fans (people) and have constantly made abhorrent and disastrous selections that led to that trouble for their own self benefit and instead of admitting they were wrong are now throwing money at the problems they caused in the first place!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Radio this morning was brilliant for this. Some old twat on 5Live said that this had nothing to do with Brexit, and people trying to blame Brexit are shirking personal responsibility. They also said that all of this was to blame on the EU. Basically one of those "my actions shouldn't have consequences" types.

Paul the Wolf

AA: dramatic rise in misfuelling
The AA has reported a surge in motorists misfuelling their vehicles over the weekend -- as some motorists put the wrong kind of fuel into their tanks.
Edmund King, AA president, also predicts that the rush to the forecourts should calm down ‘in the coming days’, once more cars are full of fuel.

They also put their cross in the wrong box.

RedChip

Are they qualified?
Anyway they'll be too busy plucking turkeys.
Hear most of them are pheasant pluckers.
I would assume some are qualified, but no idea if they have the numbers to meaningfully impact the problem. My memory might be tricking me but didn't Tony Blair call on the military in the 2000 fuel shortages?

Paul the Wolf

I would assume some are qualified, but no idea if they have the numbers to meaningfully impact the problem. My memory might be tricking me but didn't Tony Blair call on the military in the 2000 fuel shortages?
Now they're saying the army will not drive but teach the drivers. In 2000 I think they put about 80 drivers and the small tankers (not artics) on standby which would have made no difference.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I keep seeing that more and more, a kind of faux-magnanimity, 'we need to move on and pull together'. God forbid any leave voter is honest enough to admit it was a godawful mistake.
It’s so strange. “Look. It’s done now. We need to make the best of it”. Says the turkey with its neck on the block after voting for Christmas.

RedChip

:houllier:
Now they're saying the army will not drive but teach the drivers. In 2000 I think they put about 80 drivers and the small tankers (not artics) on standby which would have made no difference.
Seems in Global Britain whatever the problem is, the army will fix it.

Abizzz

33% blame the last Labour government!?!?!?!?! What the feck have they been smocking???
Well if they hadn't made the void of personality that was Gordon Brown PM Cameron wouldn't ever have had the chance to take the brexit vote gamble in the first place.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Why aren't haulage companies an option or is that covered in "the public"? Not saying they're completely to blame but the people running an industry and the decisions they make might have something to do with that industry attracting enough workers or not.

Maticmaker

33% blame the last Labour government!?!?!?!?! What the feck have they been smocking???
Well its because some of us remember the shortage of HGV drivers was being flagged up then, the average age and the numbers training in the UK was the worst in the EU and pointed to a shortage in the future. The last Labour government did nothing, the Tory Governments since have done nothing and only certain stand out logistics companies tried to get round it by selective recruitment drives in the EU, which brought in more drivers but kept wages/working conditions down.
Then Covid and Brexit produced the perfect storm, so there we have it... but shortages did really get flagged up on Labour's last watch!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just doesn't really seem worth it.

I've got an unskilled job for £9.10 an hour, £10 if I worked nights. Before I got that this year I hadn't worked in a very long time.

I'm not away from home like some drivers are, don't have to put in the long hours, don't have to have licenses/qualifications, don't have to comply with as much regulation, am unlikely to kill people if I make a mistake, don't have bosses pressing me to keep time whilst driving economically too etc. and I'm not far off earning what they do.

I also get £18.20 an hour an bank holidays so I'm ahead there.

Last edited:

finneh

I've got an unskilled job for £9.10 an hour, £10 if I worked nights. Before I got that this year I hadn't worked in a very long time.

I'm not away from home like some drivers are, don't have to put in the long hours, don't have to have licenses/qualifications, don't have to comply with as much regulation, am unlikely to kill people if I make a mistake, don't have bosses pressing me to keep time whilst driving economically too etc. and I'm not far off earning what they do.
I'd probably check the latest rates which seem to be around £15-16 per hour for a class 1 day driver (£17-18 per hour for nights and around £21 for long haul)

https://mydrive.eddiestobart.com/ce...600657D0A58FF3D160D6&WVID=5581493USN&LANG=USA

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I also get £18.20 an hour an bank holidays so I'm ahead there.
I love the handwritten message to Brexit voters

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'd probably check the latest rates which seem to be around £15-16 per hour for a class 1 day driver (£17-18 per hour for nights)

https://mydrive.eddiestobart.com/ce...600657D0A58FF3D160D6&WVID=5581493USN&LANG=USA
I'm just getting a white screen when I click that link, not sure what gives but I have no reason to doubt you.

What do we think then? The pic I posted that I've seen a few times on social media is fake or have they had to put up their rates due to the shortage?

If they've had to start paying more then that could be seen as a good thing to me if the drivers are getting something more like what I at least feel represents their skill and levels of responsibility.

Of course there's always consumer demand for cheap goods and I'm part of that too so the more it costs to move shit, prices may have to go up and it's where we find the balance. Some companies did very well during lockdown so they should in theory be able to swallow it without prices being impacted one would have thought. I'm looking at supermarkets/Amazon/other online stores etc.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Why would a truck driver leave a full-time position in e.g. the EU for a short-term one in the UK. It sounds like there's a shortage of drivers everywhere, so if you want work on the industry why go for the short-term option?
Of course a very high wage might convince people but then it'd have to be really well paid.

finneh

I'm just getting a white screen when I click that link, not sure what gives but I have no reason to doubt you.

What do we think then? The pic I posted that I've seen a few times on social media is fake or have they had to put up their rates due to the shortage?

If they've had to start paying more then that could be seen as a good thing to me if the drivers are getting something more like what I at least feel represents their skill and levels of responsibility.

Of course there's always consumer demand for cheap goods and I'm part of that too so the more it costs to move shit, prices may have to go up and it's where we find the balance. Some companies did very well during lockdown so they should in theory be able to swallow it without prices being impacted one would have thought. I'm looking at supermarkets/Amazon/other online stores etc.
It's definitely pay inflation due to shortages. It's happening across the country in our sector (and many others) particularly for lesser skilled workers.

We've upped our HGV salaries from £10 to £13 also (class 2 rather than class 1) in the last 6 months.

Toblerone92

Well its because some of us remember the shortage of HGV drivers was being flagged up then, the average age and the numbers training in the UK was the worst in the EU and pointed to a shortage in the future. The last Labour government did nothing, the Tory Governments since have done nothing and only certain stand out logistics companies tried to get round it by selective recruitment drives in the EU, which brought in more drivers but kept wages/working conditions down.
Then Covid and Brexit produced the perfect storm, so there we have it... but shortages did really get flagged up on Labour's last watch!
It reaches a point where you can’t keep going back until you find a government of your choosing to pin the blame on. The Tories have had 12 years in power, so frankly there’s very little they are not accountable for. You’re really clutching if you think Labour are somehow responsible for the current shortage of HGV drivers.