Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader, held a debate on this in Westminster Hall this morning and he said Huawei should be excluded from the 5G network within three years. He said:

We’re in a mess and the only way to get out of that mess is ... to ensure that Huawei reduces from its present position not to 35% that the government wants but simply down to 0%. I recognise that may take a little bit of time but I say in the next two to three years that should be the purpose of the government.
Can I just simply say, imagine in 1939 had we been we developing our radar systems, we decided actually to have one of the Nazi companies in Germany involved directly in doing it. This is the level. ‘Oh, but we reduced to the 35% of the involvement, so only 35% was controlled by them.’ I wonder how ridiculous that is.

New negotiating strategy from UK. Truss, Eustice and now IDS - threaten and insult your prospective trade partners.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
The Ryanair chief was less worried about the Brexit negotiations, as he believes the EU will get exactly what it wants because "the Brits have no negotiating f*cking power."

"This will finish in only two ways," O'Leary said. "The British walk away, in which case they'll be abandoned and there will be no food in the supermarket f*cking shelves. There will be riots in the streets and [Prime Minister Boris] Johnson will be out of power."

"Or they will roll over at the end of the day ... they will sell whatever deal they can f*cking do."

https://www.politico.eu/article/ryanair-boss-curses-eus-geopolitical-ambitions/

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader, held a debate on this in Westminster Hall this morning and he said Huawei should be excluded from the 5G network within three years. He said:

Can I just simply say, imagine in 1939 had we been we developing our radar systems, we decided actually to have one of the Nazi companies in Germany involved directly in doing it. This is the level. ‘Oh, but we reduced to the 35% of the involvement, so only 35% was controlled by them.’ I wonder how ridiculous that is.

New negotiating strategy from UK. Truss, Eustice and now IDS - threaten and insult your prospective trade partners.
What did you expect? He's thick as pig shit.

Comparing China to Nazis. fecking hell Iain, lay off the sauce.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Covid 19 in the UK will be a preview of life in 2021, particularly in regards to supermarkets being low on stock. Bojo will peddle some mantra like "we survived corona, and we'll survive this!" Any economic downturn can be attributed to the virus and not Brexit. Brexiters will probably say that the economy is doing bad because of corona and it's affecting to all of Europe.

I think this crisis could work out in his favour and spare Boris' blushes.
I was thinking exactly the same thing and about to post that but you beat me to it.

This government will (like the rest) spin any outcome to their own advantage.
Covid19 gives them a perfect scapegoat.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was thinking exactly the same thing and about to post that but you beat me to it.

This government will (like the rest) spin any outcome to their own advantage.
Covid19 gives them a perfect scapegoat.
Someone at work said that this proves immigration is a problem, because if nobody travelled to and from other places the virus wouldn't have spread. Technically he wasn't wrong, but his whole argument for closing our borders was let down by the fact that all his clothes were made in China and he drives a German car.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Someone at work said that this proves immigration is a problem, because if nobody travelled to and from other places the virus wouldn't have spread. Technically he wasn't wrong, but his whole argument for closing our borders was let down by the fact that all his clothes were made in China and he drives a German car.
AIDS wouldn't be a problem if nobody shagged.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly that.
Honestly. The sheer naivity of some people is beyond comprehension. I could have used more colourful language.

China is responsible for over a quarter of global manufacturing. I wonder where his mobile phone was made..

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Exactly that.
Honestly. The sheer naivity of some people is beyond comprehension. I could have used more colourful language.

China is responsible for over a quarter of global manufacturing. I wonder where his mobile phone was made..
I actually asked him that once and he told me straight faced "Carphone Warehouse".

This guy is a manager ffs.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-fishing-brexit-vessels-protect-a9374496.html

The environment secretary has warned the EU that the UK has taken “sufficient” steps to protect its waters after Brexit, as fears grow of a French blockade.

The royal navy boasts three extra vessels, the Home Office will provide a further four and the government can call in help from the private sector, George Eustice said.

A new control centre has been launched, 50 extra fishery protection officers have been recruited and there will be “aerial surveillance”, a House of Lords inquiry was told.

“We have significantly increased our enforcement capability,” Mr Eustice said, adding: “We think that is sufficient.”

The extra muscle was set out after the controversy of access for EU boats emerged as a key dispute in the post-Brexit trade talks, with Brussels demanding an agreement by the end of June.
Gerrov our fish!!

Full bodied red

As if the initial comment wasn't enough, now it's attack the person instead of addressing the point.

You have to be thick skinned to join in this thread - ffs, I should know.

You made a comment about my post and, by inference, about me.

I made a comment about some of your posts, and by inference, about you.

Something wrong with that ?

Hammerfell

You have to be thick skinned to join in this thread - ffs, I should know.

You made a comment about my post and, by inference, about me.

I made a comment about some of your posts, and by inference, about you.

Something wrong with that ?
Don’t you ever get tired of being the way you are?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Playing devils advocate. Taken over a timescale of several years 4 billion against 350 million per week becomes feck all
Yes, that’s the basic maths of it which would be fantastic if the £350m a week existed. Then you’ve got the small matter of trillions wiped off the economy and the divorce bill.

We are objectively worse off.

Virgil

Yes, that’s the basic maths of it which would be fantastic if the £350m a week existed. Then you’ve got the small matter of trillions wiped off the economy and the divorce bill.

We are objectively worse off.
Yes that’s the basic flaw in the argument but again playing devils advocate where are these trillions wiped off the economy. Originally that was going to happen once we voted to leave the EU. Then the goalposts were moved to say that we were still in the EU as our politicians for 3 years could not make a decision. Now we have left the EU the goalposts have been moved again to the end of December 2020 or perhaps beyond. For a simpleton such as myself it’s impossible to isolate fact from fiction.:rolleyes:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No one on the entire forum goes on about the history of the British empire more than you devilish. If anyone is living in the past it is most definitely you. :)
He mentioned Napoleon. Not me.

All I said is that if the French are cut off English waters then they will retaliate and sure as hell they have the means to make the British pay. For example, by having supply in and out of the UK move at snail pace can really hurt the farming industry and any other industry relying on near real time supply chain. Not to forget that all that fish needs to be sold somewhere and high tariffs cause of WTO rules will really hurt the sector. Then there's of course financial passporting. The UK will be relying on equivalence to make its financial sector work within the UK and France is a big player in the EU. What if it uses its clout alongside those who will be hit by this (Holland etc) to constantly change the game? Ah that would hurt. So its really worth all this hassle for a tiny industry that represent just 0.1% of UK's GDP?

The difference between the 19th century and now is that most of Europe will want France (erm the EU) to win not the UK.

Last edited:

Don't Kill Bill

He mentioned Napoleon. Not me.

All I said is that if the French are cut off English waters then they will retaliate and sure as hell they have the means to make the British pay. For example, by having supply in and out of the UK move at snail pace can really hurt the farming industry and any other industry relying on near real time supply chain. Not to forget that all that fish needs to be sold somewhere and high tariffs cause of WTO rules will really hurt the sector. Then there's of course financial passporting. The UK will be relying on equivalence to make its financial sector work within the UK and France is a big player in the EU. What if it uses its clout alongside those who will be hit by this (Holland etc) to constantly change the game? Ah that would hurt. So its really worth all this hassle for a tiny industry that represent just 0.1% of UK's GDP?

The difference between the 19th century and now is that most of Europe will want France (erm the EU) to win not the UK.
Its UK waters, the UN statute is clear the UK decides on matters in its EEZ. If the EU wants to try and coerce the UK into giving access I guess it can try to do so.

You have to make your mind up though, is it such a trifling little industry that you want to blow trade worth 65 billion a year net to the EU to secure an EU right to set quotas it doesn't have a right to have a say in? Rather than let the countries involved sort it out themselves under the UN remit.

All your posts these days are over the top ill thought out threats and wet dreams about how the UK should be /could be treated post Brexit. Personally I can't see the Dutch wanting to close Eindhoven in the new Devilish inspired continental system but I might be wrong.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Its UK waters, the UN statute is clear the UK decides on matters in its EEZ. If the EU wants to try and coerce the UK into giving access I guess it can try to do so.

You have to make your mind up though, is it such a trifling little industry that you want to blow trade worth 65 billion a year net to the EU to secure an EU right to set quotas it doesn't have a right to have a say in? Rather than let the countries involved sort it out themselves under the UN remit.

All your posts these days are over the top ill thought out threats and wet dreams about how the UK should be /could be treated post Brexit. Personally I can't see the Dutch wanting to close Eindhoven in the new Devilish inspired continental system but I might be wrong.
Fishing rights are politically charged and will probably play a larger symbolic part of negotiations than the pure economics would dictate... Essentially a proxy issue for a bigger pissing contest.

I'm sure the SNP will also be politicing the sell out of Scottish fishing waters by Westminster (even though ironically they want to remain in the EU)

It shouldn't be insurmountable as an issue in the context of a broader deal but will probably involve a lot of rethoric and some creative language / spin at the end so both sides can say they won

Probably some "joint mechanism" for agreeing quotas and then EU fishermen get acces to our waters... We get access to theirs and no tariff access to each others markets... UK spin it that with the joint mechanism we decide if our EU friends play by our rules they can continue to fish ... EU spins it as no change other than there needs to be a joint mechanism to rubber-stamp EU policy because the UK has chosen to leave and take rules not partake in making rules (presumably with some system of implementing fines in each other when rules are inevitably broken on both sides but that's a few years away)

The brexit mob will sing rule Britannia and remoaners like me will call it out as bullshit

Don't Kill Bill

Fishing rights are politically charged and will probably play a larger symbolic part of negotiations than the pure economics would dictate... Essentially a proxy issue for a bigger pissing contest.

I'm sure the SNP will also be politicing the sell out of Scottish fishing waters by Westminster (even though ironically they want to remain in the EU)

It shouldn't be insurmountable as an issue in the context of a broader deal but will probably involve a lot of rethoric and some creative language / spin at the end so both sides can say they won

Probably some "joint mechanism" for agreeing quotas and then EU fishermen get acces to our waters... We get access to theirs and no tariff access to each others markets... UK spin it that with the joint mechanism we decide if our EU friends play by our rules they can continue to fish ... EU spins it as no change other than there needs to be a joint mechanism to rubber-stamp EU policy because the UK has chosen to leave and take rules not partake in making rules (presumably with some system of implementing fines in each other when rules are inevitably broken on both sides but that's a few years away)

The brexit mob will sing rule Britannia and remoaners like me will call it out as bullshit
I don't know how it gets resolved but the joint mechanism is problematic as the EU has no say in UK waters post Brexit. Can it force a say? possible but at that point its gone very badly wrong.

At the moment the British govt is refusing to engage in negotiations which start with EU presumptions of authority. Its the right move and now there is a govt with a big majority in parliament the negotiations will be very different to the previous rounds.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

First of all you need to distinguish between what might happen and what will happen. If the French fishermen are as volatile and as powerful as their colleagues in the farming industry then expect pressure on the French government with the occasional disruption. This will lead not only to disruption to the supply line between France and the UK but also to the French government backing them. France is indeed a big player in Europe, some say as strong as Germany itself.

Secondly its pretty evident from Brexit that the economy aspect comes second (and sometimes third and fourth) to populism and the political agenda. We all know that Brexit doesn't make any sense economic wise. Same can be said about the reaction from the other side. For example the famous car industry which was meant to rebel unless the EU bowed down to each and every demand didn't rebel at all. Actually they rather see the UK leave without a deal then risk the integrity of the single market.

Finally its not me who came out with over the top ill thought out threats like 'leaving without a deal', not extending the transition period and expecting complex trade deals talks to end within a year or even suggesting that the EU should be backtrack on any deals made with the UK during the transition period. That was the UK prime minister Boris Johnson. All I am saying is, that maybe the EU should double down to his threat rather then simply ignore it as child talk. If its true that the EU holds most of the cards then the UK will be returning to the negotiating table after that, a lot more cooperative, humbler and who knows keener to discuss other options. Knowing how Brexiteers love analogies about cars, if you go to a Ferrari showroom and you start threatening that you will leave unless you buy the new Ferrari at the price of a Lada then most probably they will show you the door. Oh well.

Reiver

I think your projected outcome will probably be very close to what happens.
Fishing rights are one area where I could see the UK Government not being quite as hardline with the EU because I honestly don't think they care about the fishing industry particularly more the optics of being seen to be in control of British waters.
In Scotland, the East coast fishing communities are very pro keeping other countries out of British waters. West Coast is more about the shellfish and they rely on quick access to the EU market. Probably no deal with the EU keeps everyone happy.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It will be absolute madness if this virus creates a huge obstacle for talks and our government declines the sensible option to extend the deadline.

This virus is going to create a huge obstacle for talks and our government is going to decline the sensible option of extending the deadline.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It will be absolute madness if this virus creates a huge obstacle for talks and our government declines the sensible option to extend the deadline.

This virus is going to create a huge obstacle for talks and our government is going to decline the sensible option of extending the deadline.
Just hope they can at least get a good deal on toilet roll imports.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Whats the deal with panic buying bog rolls in some countries? I havent seen shortages of anything in NL. I guess we give less of a feck.
I'm not really sure, especially in regards to just how many some people are buying. Both our local Tesco and Sainbury's stores have empty shelves of the cheaper loo rolls. Pasta shelves are pretty much empty as well, though I'm not sure what these people are planning to eat their pasta with as all the other shelves are pretty full.

Should add it's more to do with the coronavirus than brexit.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Whats the deal with panic buying bog rolls in some countries? I havent seen shortages of anything in NL. I guess we give less of a feck.
It's generally viewed as something you need or at least would very much like to keep having. A rumour got around that they were selling out in places so people naturally panicked and ensured that places did sell out.

Smores

Wonder if we'll see the US style reporting that the EU and remoaners are trying to politicised coronavirus to block brexit.

Boris has a get out with this as it'll be politically acceptable to delay. If they don't take it then it's as clear a sign as you can get that they're hell bent on no deal.