Brian Laudrup reveals battle with cancer | Fully recovered

phelans shorts

Former Denmark forward Brian Laudrup has revealed he is undergoing treatment for cancer.

The 41-year-old, who enjoyed a highly successful spell with Rangers from 1994-98 during which time he won three league titles, has been diagnosed with a mild form of lymphoma.

"I am obviously shocked by the diagnosis, but also know that there is now a tough battle ahead of me - a battle I will win," Laudrup told TV3, where he works as a commentator.

"Fortunately, I have had very optimistic reports from doctors to support me."

The former Bayern Munich, Fiorentina, Chelsea and Ajax star added: "I now want to use my energy to get over the shock and take time with my family and those closest to me, so together we can move forward after this diagnosis."

Laudrup scored 21 goals in 82 matches for Denmark and helped his country to European Championship glory in 1992. He was named Danish player of the year on four occasions.
Laudrup reveals cancer battle - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

Hope he recovers, very good player.

Supports
Barcelona
He was very good too

Hopefully he will fully recover, they say it has been discovered very early and that it's a mild case of lymphoma.

Justin

So Caftards, which would you say was the better footballer Brian or Micheal Laudrup?

I hope he recovers. Best of luck to him.
I always thought Michael was the better footballer.

Anyway, all the best for the recovery.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
So Caftards, which would you say was the better footballer Brian or Micheal Laudrup?

Michael easily.

Brian is probably the second best player ever for our national team though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I always thought Michael was the better footballer.

Anyway, all the best for the recovery.
Michael easily.

Brian is probably the second best player ever for our national team though.
Michael, but being second best in a family conatining Michael Laudrup is no negative on his ability.
And here i was expecting a win for Brian...by a landslide.

Never watched that much of Micheal in his prime.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
what about Schmeichel?
Schmeichel is no doubt the best keeper we've ever had and was the towering figure in the team after the Laudrups retired, but there was a period of a good few years where Brian absolutely carried the team every game and was the only player who could produce the bit of magic to win us games in an otherwise solid collective. And around the time Michael came back into the side he matured into a genuine world class player to a point where he was every bit as good as his brother at the time.

I'd probably say the Laudrups, then Elkjaer, then Schmeichel in terms of the best players for the national team in the past 30 years.

Michael was the best player in a team that featured Stoichkov and Romario, then went to Real and won the league a 4th time on the trot, making Ivan fecking Zamorano the top goalscorer in la liga (80% of all his goals came from laudrup assists). He was even voted the best foreigner in la liga of the past 25 years in the 90s. Raul has played with all the galacticos and still names Laudrup as the best player he's ever played with. And he was running rampant for the Danish side for a good number of years. He's in a league of his own as far as Danish players go.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I'd just reiterate what's already been said. Michael takes it for his dominance of La Liga. And that's coming from a Rangers fan who regards Brian as God. Michael had some breathtaking performances in 86 in Mexico, yet I would say Brian probably had the better international career given his fine form in 92, 96 and 98. Both outstanding, technically gifted and athletic attacking players.

204Red

I'd probably say the Laudrups, then Elkjaer, then Schmeichel in terms of the best players for the national team in the past 30 years.
Always liked Elkjaer... very classy player

And sticking with the thread, best of luck to Laudrup in his battle.

stand_free

Brian Laudrup was an absolutely superb footballer and probably the best ever foreign import into the SPL, ahead of Larsson.

::sonny::

The Danish Figo

I want to post this fantastic video, mixed like a movie

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Apologies for the bump but exactly a decade later he has fully recovered. Great news!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Danish Figo

I want to post this fantastic video, mixed like a movie

Barcelona wanted him to be Michaels replacement at Barcelona after his move to Real but he turned them down. I think underappreciated player because his best years were in the SPL but he was world class in his prime.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Apologies for the bump but exactly a decade later he has fully recovered. Great news!

Great news.

My heart jumped a bit when I noticed this was an old thread being bumped.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
10 years, wow. Incredibly brave. Happy for him.

Great news. Surprised it took 10 years to give him the all clear. My dad had another form of NHL, the treatment has come on so far in recent years some doctors are now discussing whether it should be reclassified.

Mike Smalling

Great news - he was such a huge part of our Euro '92 win, that he will always be a national treasure!

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
"Bayer Uerdingen legend" Brian Laudrup. They somehow left that out.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Brian was a better dribler than Michael and had more speed. His short dribbling was top.

Hope his remission continues.

arthurka

Schmeichel is no doubt the best keeper we've ever had and was the towering figure in the team after the Laudrups retired, but there was a period of a good few years where Brian absolutely carried the team every game and was the only player who could produce the bit of magic to win us games in an otherwise solid collective. And around the time Michael came back into the side he matured into a genuine world class player to a point where he was every bit as good as his brother at the time.

Michael was the best player in a team that featured Stoichkov and Romario, then went to Real and won the league a 4th time on the trot, making Ivan fecking Zamorano the top goalscorer in la liga (80% of all his goals came from laudrup assists). He was even voted the best foreigner in la liga of the past 25 years in the 90s. Raul has played with all the galacticos and still names Laudrup as the best player he's ever played with. And he was running rampant for the Danish side for a good number of years. He's in a league of his own as far as Danish players go.
What about Simonsen? I would rank him over the B.Laudrup.

Schmikes
M.Laudrup
Simonsen
B.Laudrup

Jev

He looks great for 51 for someone that has battled cancer for 10 years
Not to diminish it but I don't believe he's been that affected the entire time. It was, as I understand it, a relatively mild form and he's looked healthy and kept himself busy throughout.

Jev

Schmikes
M.Laudrup
Simonsen
B.Laudrup
I'd definitely have Elkjær in the top-3 personally. Would actually argue that Michael should be below Brian. Despite being the better player, he had his best years for Denmark in the 80's when he was very young.

Mike Smalling

Schmikes
M.Laudrup
Simonsen
B.Laudrup
Elkjær needs to be on that list. Finished top 3 in the Ballon d'Or voting two years in a row, was voted third best player at the 1986 World Cup and won the Serie A with Verona. Such a unique player as well.