Brighton and Hove Albion - 19/20 Season

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
They looked very comfortable yesterday, it has to be said. Leicester didn’t really impose themselves on the game and that was largely down to Brighton’s tactics being so effective.

March, Mooy, Trossard, Mac Allister, Propper, Connolly, Maupay, Lamptey, Duffy, Dunk, Ryan... they certainly have talent in that squad and arguably more so than the likes of Bournemouth, Norwich and others around them.

Brighton need to add more goals to their game, however. It’s all well and good being easy on the eye, but when Own Goal is your second-top goalscorer in the league this season, it should set alarm bells ringing.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Brighton need to add more goals to their game, however. It’s all well and good being easy on the eye, but when Own Goal is your second-top goalscorer in the league this season, it should set alarm bells ringing.
Fair point, but it is only 4 goals out of 34, we score from all over the pitch and our defenders all have quite good scoring stats!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fair point, but it is only 4 goals out of 34, we score from all over the pitch and our defenders all have quite good scoring stats!
In that sense, I would actually think Brighton's current situation is positive. If half the goals came from a single player, the club would be in big trouble if he'd move elsewhere. Having goals all over the team is big luxury. To me, it means that Brighton might reach another level once they do get their hands on a more prolific striker, and should be relatively safe in the meantime.

Perseus

Brighton fans miss the cream of the home fixtures with Arsenal at the Amex 2-1, now followed by United, Liverpool and Man City. BHA played atypically against Arsenal and Leicester = disappointed with the style, made up for by the results. No real stars with Izquierdo long time injured. Falling behind Wolves and even Everton.

Last edited:
Brighton 0 Man Utd 3

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's difficult to know how to feel about this loss for a number of reasons. Firstly, I expected it. Secondly I think Potter set us up wrong in the first half. I can understand resting the likes of Maupay and Mooy as 3 points against Norwich this weekend is far more important than a possible point against United, but setting us up so defensively (5 at the back with Bissouma, Stephens and Propper in midfield) is in contrast to almost every other game we have played this season. It also seems to assume we were playing the United team from late 2019 that struggled against this set up. We literally played with 10 men behind the ball for most of the half and Connolly is not yet experienced enough to hold up the ball or take on our entire attacking responsibility.

The second half however was a massive improvement. Maupay coming on to give Connolly someone to play off made a huge difference and Trossard was a real threat as well. It also freed up Mac Allister and all of a sudden we started playing football again. Sadly it was too late as the game was already lost. Hopefully we make this up against Norwich, 6 more points and I think we will be safe and if we can get 3 at the weekend that would be a good start.

Take nothing away from United though, that was one of the best performances I've seen at the Amex from an away team this season, if I'm going to be very picky Ryan should have got down to Greenwood's shot and the second goal should never of counted as Greenwood took the ball out of play in the build up when controlling the ball AWB skyed. But United were by far the better team and the result was fair and deserved.

I was thinking before the game who needed this win more and given our cushion from the bottom 3, I think United needed it, they couldn't afford to lose this as it would scupper that top 4 run. Where as we could afford to lose as we can again against Liverpool and City. 6 points from Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley and Southampton has to be the aim anything from the other two would be a huge bonus. Those 4 points from Arsenal and Leicester were so important.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's difficult to know how to feel about this loss for a number of reasons. Firstly, I expected it. Secondly I think Potter set us up wrong in the first half. I can understand resting the likes of Maupay and Mooy as 3 points against Norwich this weekend is far more important than a possible point against United, but setting us up so defensively (5 at the back with Bissouma, Stephens and Propper in midfield) is in contrast to almost every other game we have played this season. It also seems to assume we were playing the United team from late 2019 that struggled against this set up. We literally played with 10 men behind the ball for most of the half and Connolly is not yet experienced enough to hold up the ball or take on our entire attacking responsibility.

The second half however was a massive improvement. Maupay coming on to give Connolly someone to play off made a huge difference and Trossard was a real threat as well. It also freed up Mac Allister and all of a sudden we started playing football again. Sadly it was too late as the game was already lost. Hopefully we make this up against Norwich, 6 more points and I think we will be safe and if we can get 3 at the weekend that would be a good start.
I was surprised at this also, seemed like Potter had lost before the game even started.

2nd half was much more like how I expected you to play having watched you the last few weeks. You certainly look better in the 4-2-2-2 formation.

I really like the look of Lamptey, think he will go onto have a great career.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I really like the look of Lamptey, think he will go onto have a great career.
Agreed he feels like a steal at 4 million I hope he continues to progress as he's looked a proper baller so far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Take nothing away from United though, that was one of the best performances I've seen at the Amex from an away team this season, if I'm going to be very picky Ryan should have got down to Greenwood's shot and the second goal should never of counted as Greenwood took the ball out of play in the build up when controlling the ball AWB skyed. But United were by far the better team and the result was fair and deserved.

I was thinking before the game who needed this win more and given our cushion from the bottom 3, I think United needed it, they couldn't afford to lose this as it would scupper that top 4 run. Where as we could afford to lose as we can again against Liverpool and City. 6 points from Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley and Southampton has to be the aim anything from the other two would be a huge bonus. Those 4 points from Arsenal and Leicester were so important.
I think we really stepped off the gas after the third goal which allowed Brighton back in the game.
Once we settled again after the multiple subs we looked back in control.
I think Brighton will be safe with three, possibly four more points and I think in Potter you have a manager willing to take risks on players and has a good tactical mind.
I can see you guys becoming a main stay in the premier League for years to come.

Perseus

38 points will be enough for safety. 2 more points needed for Brighton.

I've not been impressed since the break, ball retention and possession was below par in all parts of all four games.

Arsenal 2-1 BHA restricted a better than expected Arsenal side to shots from outside the penalty area but that looked good enough for the visitors on 66 minutes.
Leicester 0-0 BHA restricted a lucklustre Leicester side to shots from outside the penalty area and missed the win.
Man United 0-3 BHA restricted a superior United side to shots from outside the penalty area but that was easily good enough for the visitors.
Norwich 1-0 Coasted to an easy win but nearly threw it away in the last minute. BHA restricted a poor Norwich side to one half chance.

BHA were just playing safe.