Brighton and Hove Albion - 19/20 Season

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Great result yesterday. There was an interview with potter about formation and the changes he made to allow defenders to play higher up the pitch refreshing to see and I think they'll do well this season.

izec

Potter looks like a great manager. He wont stay long there, i suspect a better club will pick him up in a few years

Perseus

Potter looks like a great manager. He wont stay long there, i suspect a better club will pick him up in a few years
Are United favourites? Same age group as Ole Gunnar Solskjær and a few others. It is difficult to think of a club he would go to?

Brighton 1 West Ham 1

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Another great game, I thought we deserved all 3 points. Stephens as always is a beast in midfield, that back three of Dunk, Duffy and Burn looks solid, with Burn looking especially good. But the best news was Trossard’s home debut, one great goal disallowed followed by an even better goal, he was a problem for West Ham all game, and our attack looked weaker when he went off, one for my fantasy team! 4 points from 6 is a great start from Potter and we are playing some lovely positive football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Another great game, I thought we deserved all 3 points. Stephens as always is a beast in midfield, that back three of Dunk, Duffy and Burn looks solid, with Burn looking especially good. But the best news was Trossard’s home debut, one great goal disallowed followed by an even better goal, he was a problem for West Ham all game, and our attack looked weaker when he went off, one for my fantasy team! 4 points from 6 is a great start from Potter and we are playing some lovely positive football.
Yeah, early doors but you guys have looked pretty damn good in the first two games.

RooneyLegend

Just watched the game and that was a very commanding performance by your side. The team looks extremely well coached. I worry for the lack of pace you guys have at the back and up front with that line up. The coach needs a huge pat on the back. Theres a clear plan and it looks like it was worked on the whole summer. You'd swear it was a Allegri side.

Give him better quality and i wonder what he could do. The sooner Mooy plays the better, he'd improve the passing of the side by alot and in a wingback system that sort of passing range is really helpful.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think he will be in contention for the England job along with Eddie Howe.
Hold on we’ve only had him for two games, I’d like to keep him a bit longer please before we start farming him out to Utd or England!

NoPace

Watched them both games. Some assorted thoughts:

-Dan Burn weirdly good as an LCB. Not as slow as I thought? Duffy however looks confused on the ball. Wonder if Potter will look to sell him next summer to some Prem team happy to pay 25M for such a good aerial defender who is Prem proven, and Potter can replace him with a much better passer. The difference between Dunk and him on the ball is really something to behold.

-I'm curious to see if Bissouma plays when he's recovered. Ton of potential. I always think Stephens will play badly because he looks like the guys in my Sunday league but he's generally solid. Still, will be interesting to see what the final midfield trio Brighton end up with this year with Mooy, Bissouma, Propper, Gross and Stephens all options.

-I thought Bernardo looked good last year but March's crossing and general play at LWB been strong. Won't be the last touchline winger who gets turned into a wingback now that crossing from wingers is out of vogue.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think they've already got Duffy replacement at the club, signed Adam Webster from Bristol City for 20m who's a ball playing CB.

Perseus

Watched them both games. Some assorted thoughts:

-Dan Burn weirdly good as an LCB. Not as slow as I thought? Duffy however looks confused on the ball. Wonder if Potter will look to sell him next summer to some Prem team happy to pay 25M for such a good aerial defender who is Prem proven, and Potter can replace him with a much better passer. The difference between Dunk and him on the ball is really something to behold.

-I'm curious to see if Bissouma plays when he's recovered. Ton of potential. I always think Stephens will play badly because he looks like the guys in my Sunday league but he's generally solid. Still, will be interesting to see what the final midfield trio Brighton end up with this year with Mooy, Bissouma, Propper, Gross and Stephens all options.

-I thought Bernardo looked good last year but March's crossing and general play at LWB been strong. Won't be the last touchline winger who gets turned into a wingback now that crossing from wingers is out of vogue.
Brighton don't need three centre backs in the starting XI. Dunk and Duffy can hold their own.

NoPace

Brighton don't need three centre backs in the starting XI. Dunk and Duffy can hold their own.
New manager seems pretty set on it so far. They just spent 25M on a CB in Webster so either they thought one of Dunk or Duffy was leaving or they wanted to be able to play 3.

Perseus

Eh? It's clearly Potters preferred formation and its looked pretty damn effective so far.
It lost out to an inferior team (West Ham on the day). Three at the back (wing back system) only works if BHA could put away legally more than one out of about nine good half chances.

West Ham had two chances and they nearly had two goals. Instead of 9-1 it could have been 1-2.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is one of the young coaches to watch. Has been very brilliant. Really hope we are keeping tabs on him.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Think they've already got Duffy replacement at the club, signed Adam Webster from Bristol City for 20m who's a ball playing CB.
Yup signed Webster and Matthew Clarke, who's highly rated as well but has been loaned out to Derby this season

Looks like Potter will keep the three at the back as his preferred formation, they have had had some dicey moments, but generally looked ok and pretty solid and can only improve as the season goes on

He is one of the young coaches to watch. Has been very brilliant. Really hope we are keeping tabs on him.
Really hope you're not

Brighton 0 Southampton 2

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We had to lose at some point, shame though as I was confident going into this game. Andone’s red card was absolutely fair, but it was good to see that despite going down to 10 we continued to dominate the first half. Two matches in a row now VAR has disallowed a goal because Burn has been just offside, felt sorry for Dunk as I was convinced his header was a good goal.

Southampton really perked up in the second half and to be fair their first goal was a cracker, but we could still have equalised with Locadia hitting the post.

Honestly don’t mind losing when we play like this, another day we’d have won it, our play was creative and hard working and there was a flair to us especially in the first half that they struggled to contain. Man City next ......

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
We had to lose at some point, shame though as I was confident going into this game. Andone’s red card was absolutely fair, but it was good to see that despite going down to 10 we continued to dominate the first half. Two matches in a row now VAR has disallowed a goal because Burn has been just offside, felt sorry for Dunk as I was convinced his header was a good goal.

Southampton really perked up in the second half and to be fair their first goal was a cracker, but we could still have equalised with Locadia hitting the post.

Honestly don’t mind losing when we play like this, another day we’d have won it, our play was creative and hard working and there was a flair to us especially in the first half that they struggled to contain. Man City next ......
Do you think Jahanbakhsh will get his chance soon?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Do you think Jahanbakhsh will get his chance soon?
Potter spoke about it last week saying that there was definitely a role for him, and that he could play across the front and that he’s been training in the wing back position - it’s a long season so I’m sure he’ll play, but we’re quite stacked for wide men at the moment, so he won’t be a first choice starter I don’t think.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Looks like Locadia is off to Germany, always sorry to see someone go who hasn’t really fulfilled the potential they promised, but he’s been hit by injuries and now Connolly looks a more promising bet.

Still it’s only a loan so if he does well his value will rise, so probably a good bit of business from Brighton. I wish him luck.

NoPace

Looks like Locadia is off to Germany, always sorry to see someone go who hasn’t really fulfilled the potential they promised, but he’s been hit by injuries and now Connolly looks a more promising bet.

Still it’s only a loan so if he does well his value will rise, so probably a good bit of business from Brighton. I wish him luck.
Locadia never looks dangerous to me. Andone and Murray always look more likely to make something happen, even if it's in a dodgy sort of way.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Locadia never looks dangerous to me. Andone and Murray always look more likely to make something happen, even if it's in a dodgy sort of way.
I agree and that's why he's gone, his career has stuttered with us and I always thought he could do better, but now we have Maupay and Trossard playing across the front three as well and Potter obviously rates Connolly, he was never going to get much game time so it's best for both parties I guess.

Man City 4 Brighton 0

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I read somehwere that it’s difficult to judge progress against this City team!

But 46% possession against them is telling and we have a clear identity already of how we want to play and it looks good. Webster made his debut replacing Duffy and also looked the part, Trossard could have been a lot more clinical with his chances, but the improvement is clear. I’m very happy with the way we’re looking at the moment.The games after the break against Burnley and Newcastle are crucial, win those and we’ll be laughing, lose them however and it could be a dark run in to Christmas. I am confident though, the football we’re playing is good and we should be better than those traditionally around us in the league this season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
With Locadia off to Germany and Andone off to Turkey and Murray being 106 years old, I am worried that we could be a bit light up front. We do have Connolly so that will help and he’ll get more game time now, but injuries to say Trossard and Maupay and we’ll be in real trouble

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I read somehwere that it’s difficult to judge progress against this City team!

But 46% possession against them is telling and we have a clear identity already of how we want to play and it looks good. Webster made his debut replacing Duffy and also looked the part, Trossard could have been a lot more clinical with his chances, but the improvement is clear. I’m very happy with the way we’re looking at the moment.The games after the break against Burnley and Newcastle are crucial, win those and we’ll be laughing, lose them however and it could be a dark run in to Christmas. I am confident though, the football we’re playing is good and we should be better than those traditionally around us in the league this season.
I was impressed with BHA against City, but still lost 4 - 0.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I was impressed with BHA against City, but still lost 4 - 0.
We gave it a go and had some good chances, but we can't judge Brighton's progress against this City team! We were always going to lose

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
With Locadia off to Germany and Andone off to Turkey and Murray being 106 years old, I am worried that we could be a bit light up front. We do have Connolly so that will help and he’ll get more game time now, but injuries to say Trossard and Maupay and we’ll be in real trouble
Yeah I was very surprised you let both of those go, Bloom has invested a lot of money in that squad so I can only presume it was done with the wage bill and cost control in mind. I dislike Brighton severely (as expected :D) but I like Potter and I expect he’ll do you a good job.

I am intrigued by the derby games this year though, you are looking to play expansive stuff and we play best against that style so they should be good matches. I actually feel more confident this year than at any stage when Hughton was there funnily enough.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
And it is possible to win at The Etihad ;)
and OT by the looks of it!

It's funny the games against you, I was always confidant under Hughton but am not so sure this season. I remember being absolutely sure you'd have us in the 2013 play offs, but since then we've done pretty well against you bunch of cnuts :D

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
and OT by the looks of it!

It's funny the games against you, I was always confidant under Hughton but am not so sure this season. I remember being absolutely sure you'd have us in the 2013 play offs, but since then we've done pretty well against you bunch of cnuts :D
Yeah funny stat that we are the last team to win at Old Trafford, The Emirates, The Etihad and Anfield...as well as the King Power and Molineux. Meanwhile we regularly lose to newly promoted sides and mid-table fodder at home...pretty lousy having a season ticket at Selhurst Park I must say!

Brighton 1 Burnley 1

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
There’s a bit of an unfortunate stutter going in at the Amex at the moment, we haven’t won at home since early March. I genuinely thought this was the game to break that run and for 90 minutes it looked like it, but as Utd fans will know those injury time goals can hurt!
Performance wise, after a shaky start we looked quite good, you never know what you’re going to get after the international break, so by the end of the first half we were happy. Maybe should have had more goals there were other chances, but then Burnley had some decent chances too.
If I was going to criticise, I think Potter could have done better with the subs at only 1-0 up it felt rather than bring in fresh legs to improve the performance, he decided to go with a late run out for Moody and Connolly to give them some minutes.
Still onwards and upwards, our style looks good and our team is gelling, we need a little bit of luck and the points will come rolling in!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Newcastle away is big one next up. After that Chelsea away and Spurs at home so struggling to see much.

Problem with the home form is it's very difficult to win away games in the premier league nowadays....Top 6 and add in Leicester, West Ham and Everton who won't lose much at home this season and then you're down to the six pointers.

Need 8-9 home wins to be reasonably confident of staying up so work for Brighton to do.

Perseus

Newcastle away is big one next up. After that Chelsea away and Spurs at home so struggling to see much.

Problem with the home form is it's very difficult to win away games in the premier league nowadays....Top 6 and add in Leicester, West Ham and Everton who won't lose much at home this season and then you're down to the six pointers.

Need 8-9 home wins to be reasonably confident of staying up so work for Brighton to do.
Lose against Newcastle (TV game) and Brighton would likely be in the relegation zone for virtually* the first time since getting into the Premier League. (* in the zone at the beginning of 2017-18 after their first two defeats).

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Nice to see Wood, Barnes and Murray all together on the same pitch again even if they are playing against each other now. That was a league 1 promotion winning forward line 8 years ago!

Newcastle 0 Brighton 0

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Life as a Brighton fan is getting a little bit frustrating. Over 70 percent possession at St James’ Park, clearly the better team, playing by far the better football and we come away with a goalless draw.

Positives are that Alzate and Connolly look to be progressing well with both very unlucky not be on the score sheet. Alzate was offside for his header and Connolly’s chip shot was perfect and instinctive, the bicycle kick goal line clearance is the sort of thing that makes life so frustrating at the moment.

We look a totally different team to last season and if we keep playing like this I am still convinced we will be safe quite easily, but we need a little bit of luck to go our way! We are clearly missing that extra bit of creativity up front so Trossard’s return could be key.

Brighton 3 Spurs 0

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I missed the Chelsea game thankfully, but back for Spurs and finally the way we've been playing gets a decent result, it fells its been quite a l;ong time coming and Spurs were poor, but we played beautifully. Dunk looks immense at the back and brings the ball out very well, I can see bids coming in for him from much bigger teams. Burn and Webster look strong too, though I don't feel quite as confident with them as I do with Dunk.

Without Trossard and March I thought we would struggle even more, but the young lads coming through look fantastic, I just hope we ease them in gently and don't become overly reliant on them. But Alzate looks class, brilliant close control and a mature head on his shoulders to make the right decisions and what can I say about Connolly, two great goals especially the third, but again his positioning, the way moves around the box have all the hallmarks of a far more experienced player.

Potterball payed off this week and as I have said before if we can keep this up we will do well, every game that comes around we look more settled and more used to the style of play, I think we could pick up quite a few points in the second half of the season as we get more and more comfortable with Potter's style.