Brighton and Hove Albion - 19/20 Season

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Worried that this post won’t age well, but for the first time ever I am quietly confident travelling to OT today. Brighton are improving and apart from Duffy replacing Webster, I expect the same team that beat Everton and Norwich, with Trossard coming in in the second half.

Man Utd 3 Brighton 1

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What happened today? Thought you guys would give Man. United a better game than you did. Just looking at game and seems you gave away goals at poor times which can always happen at Old Trafford (conceding a third straight after 2-1 an obvious one).

Looking at stats and Man. United had about 11 shots on target so seems they played through your three CBs fairly easily.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Worried that this post won’t age well, but for the first time ever I am quietly confident travelling to OT today
Yup jinxed that!

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I've been in China where the great fire wall has made my internet access difficult to say the least. But did manage to see the game streamed on MUTV on a train from Chengdu to Xi'an!

Genuinely thought this was one of United's bast games of the season, annoyingly and without doubt the best team won. Your front three caused us no end of problems and I thought Rashford in particular was almost unplayable. I'm sure many have already commented on the Utd response when Dunk scored and it showed how your team is progressing. Fine performances from Rashford, James, Fred and Perreira. Us on the other hand looked out of sorts and overwhelmed by the pace and fluidity of the United attack. I'm still not worried at all about Brighton going down and on another day we could have scored one or two more, we were quite wasteful with the few chances we had, but as I said the best team won ... a corner turned for Utd?

Perseus

What happened today? Thought you guys would give Man. United a better game than you did. Just looking at game and seems you gave away goals at poor times which can always happen at Old Trafford (conceding a third straight after 2-1 an obvious one).

Looking at stats and Man. United had about 11 shots on target so seems they played through your three CBs fairly easily.

Fair result would have been 4-2. Potterball played into United's hands and Ole played a predictable 4-2-3-1 which gave them an extra player in midfield. That with United getting the rub of the green it was soon 2-0. Two own goals? United defence was every bit as strong as under Mounrinho two seasons ago, only vulnerable at the two Brighton corners.

Brighton pushed forward their full backs Montoya and Burn had poor games even before they got roasted by the speed of Rashford and James. United got the rub of the green for their third goal as well. A bad day all round with Connolly going off injured at half time and Dunk getting booked for the fifth time.

Full backs were worrying. They push too far forward and can't read the game from their advanced positions. Most of United shots occurred when the game was already lost. I could feel the United tension when BHA pulled a goal back, but that only lasted for a minute when the ball fell kindly for Martial to Rashford.

Injuries building up for an difficult fixtures coming up.

Liverpool 2 Brighton 1

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sorry for the delay again in writing this, I have been very ill for the last two weeks, but am on the mend now.

As for Brighton, it is difficult to know what to say. On the one hand, I am still very pleased with the way we play, the way Potter sets us up and we give a good account of ourselves, but we are in a tough run of games, we lost to Utd, then Leicester and now Liverpool. No shame in that but we need to start picking up points quite soon and with Arsenal and Wolves coming up that could be tough.

The Liverpool game was disappointing for the goals conceded, two really simple set pieces. The assists from Alexander Arnold were brilliant, but I wonder with a Duffy in defence if we might have been a bit better in the air. Dunk was MoM for me, his quick thinking scored the free kick and he was at the centre of everything we did well. Ryan was outstanding as well making a few crucial saves and in the end we gave Liverpool a real run for their money, but it wasn't enough. I thought it was a strange choice to start with Bissouma and he didn't really have much of an impact, where as Trossard when he came on certainly did when he came on, I'd like to see a lot more of him.

Glad that Potter got an extension as it shows the clubs believe in him and his methods, now he just needs to deliver with a few more points please!

Perseus

Sorry for the delay again in writing this, I have been very ill for the last two weeks, but am on the mend now.

As for Brighton, it is difficult to know what to say. On the one hand, I am still very pleased with the way we play, the way Potter sets us up and we give a good account of ourselves, but we are in a tough run of games, we lost to Utd, then Leicester and now Liverpool. No shame in that but we need to start picking up points quite soon and with Arsenal and Wolves coming up that could be tough.

The Liverpool game was disappointing for the goals conceded, two really simple set pieces. The assists from Alexander Arnold were brilliant, but I wonder with a Duffy in defence if we might have been a bit better in the air. Dunk was MoM for me, his quick thinking scored the free kick and he was at the centre of everything we did well. Ryan was outstanding as well making a few crucial saves and in the end we gave Liverpool a real run for their money, but it wasn't enough. I thought it was a strange choice to start with Bissouma and he didn't really have much of an impact, where as Trossard when he came on certainly did when he came on, I'd like to see a lot more of him.

Glad that Potter got an extension as it shows the clubs believe in him and his methods, now he just needs to deliver with a few more points please!

Closest Dunk has ever got to a hatrick at Anfield, missed two easier chances than he scored. Luckily, my betting day was saved by my last minute bet at 18/1 to score one. Was VVD meant to be marking him? It seems that Liverpool played well with their 49% possession in the first half. BHA stepped up a gear in the second half but the damage was done, and Robertson refused to cross the half way line and lose the ball, so there was not much chance of a counter attack.

Nickosaur

Actually think they could get points at Arsenal.

It was always going to be a tough run - United, Leicester, Liverpool, Arsenal. Not worried yet as Brighton have given a fantastic account of themselves in those games.

Considering getting myself across for a game in the new year. I was at the Amex last season for a dull 0-0 against Watford. It was freezing and the atmosphere was poor. Think it would be quite different now.

Perseus

Actually think they could get points at Arsenal.

It was always going to be a tough run - United, Leicester, Liverpool, Arsenal. Not worried yet as Brighton have given a fantastic account of themselves in those games.

Considering getting myself across for a game in the new year. I was at the Amex last season for a dull 0-0 against Watford. It was freezing and the atmosphere was poor. Think it would be quite different now.
Brighton could be in the bottom 3 by Sunday afternoon replacing Southampton who could win and draw easier fixtures. This would be for the first time since the opening weeks two years ago.

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Brighton could be in the bottom 3 by Sunday afternoon replacing Southampton who cold win and draw easier fixtures. This would be for the first time since the opening weeks two years ago.
Fingers crossed :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How's Webster done out of interest?

He was briefly linked to us before you signed him and fans on our forum were creaming themselves over his YT videos (mainly of him accurately passing a ball 5 yards to a team mate). Personally I baulked at the 20m fee as there is much better value out there in europe and we signed a good one in Engels.

He been good?

Perseus

He was briefly linked to us before you signed him and fans on our forum were creaming themselves over his YT videos (mainly of him accurately passing a ball 5 yards to a team mate). Personally I baulked at the 20m fee as there is much better value out there in europe and we signed a good one in Engels.

He been good?
Adam Webster looks a promising defender (right bank/central) rather than playing particularly well. Not so good in the air. Dunk and Duffy partnership still the best!? Cost of replacing Bruno (retired) which was a major worry.

Nickosaur

He been good?
I really like him. Suits the football that Potter is trying to play to the ground.
As an out and out defender, is he better than Duffy? No. But overall he's done really well and will only get better.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Adam Webster looks a promising defender (right bank/central) rather than playing particularly well. Not so good in the air. Dunk and Duffy partnership still the best!? Cost of replacing Bruno (retired) which was a major worry.
Has Montoya been injured? Thought him and Bernardo who showed flashes under Hughton's more conservative style would really flourish under GP but seems neither have figured that much. Schelotto also made the bench a few weeks ago, thought he left 18 months ago!

Perseus

Has Montoya been injured? Thought him and Bernardo who showed flashes under Hughton's more conservative style would really flourish under GP but seems neither have figured that much. Schelotto also made the bench a few weeks ago, thought he left 18 months ago!
First choice Martín Montoya is a bit short and lightly built to be a full back. Schelotto is recovering from a serious long term knee injury and can be lax at defending. Webster as central defender has just not got the height and power of Duffy to deal with the likes of Van Djik (who BHA missed out because of FFP limitations). Bernardo is my choice but he is left footed and Dan Burn has got the LB position.

Dunk and Duffy are slow for dealing with very quick forwards, and Schelotto, Montoya, Bernardo are quicker w/o being greyhounds.

PS: Brighton have used 41 players in Premier League and League Cup this season. And there is more (14) than a complete team out on loan who have not played.

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Arse have to go all out and attack. Have Torreira in there to protect the back four...especially if Mustafi is playing. Matinelli would probably start over Pepe and that'd be interesting.

Perseus

Arse have to go all out and attack. Have Torreira in there to protect the back four...especially if Mustafi is playing. Matinelli would probably start over Pepe and that'd be interesting.
Dreamer
Who is the new manager gonna be?

Last edited:

VJ1762

Man, I would have Graham Potter right now as Utd manager. You can see a discernible style of play in his teams. Other than LVG, we have not had a guy at the helm who can actually coach players, after SAF.

R'hllor

People in here talked shit about us trying to play but we lack quality, which is utter nonsense. You wanna see how it looks when team trying to play football but they lack quality, go watch his team in EL vs Arsenal.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What a result. We may not have a huge number of points but Potter has worked miracles and we are a transformed team, I loved Hughton but I know whose football I prefer to watch.

This game was just a joy, Arsenal were terrible, but the way we reasserted control after their equaliser was fantastic and Maupay's goal was such a sweet header from a lovely Mooy cross. Connolly was a constant threat, while our defence just felt solid all the way through. We had more possession and more shots on target and thoroughly deserved the win. MoM for me was Mooy closely followed by Ryan.

Has to be said though @Grinner the Arsenal defence without Mustafi looked even worse than it does with him.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
There isn't much between Mustafi and Sokratis in the shit-off stakes. Stir in some Luiz and you've got a real crock of shit.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I've just realised that at this point last season Brighton were 10th with 21 points (same Utd have this season) this season we have 3 points less and are in 13th place, but I am much more confident this year than last!

Crystal Palace 1 Brighton 1

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
For 70 minutes I thought you were excellent last night and unlucky not to take the 3 points. That was a patchwork Palace team if ever there was one in balance - the entire first choice back 4 is injured and we have no left-back at all for a start - but I thought you moved the ball extremely well (love a diag don’t you?) and there are a lot of positive signs. Game only really turned towards us when Max Meyer came on and started linking our play, before that it was one-way traffic. Strangely in the last ten minutes if there was going to be a winner it looked like being us, funny old game.

What I saw in front of me was what I feared really though. As a club we are going backwards under our American owners and you continue to spend money on the profile of player I’d like us to be going after, while trying to implement a philosophy across the club. Sooner our Americans do one the better, they are nothing more than Mike Ashley minus the news coverage.

Question from me, how successful do you think your system can ultimately be with a limited quality of player? From what I have seen in a lot of games you are dominating possession but not scoring as many as you should, and also letting in some really poor goals. We were there for the taking last night, no question. If I am a big club I am already looking at Potter thinking he has implemented that system in one of the most defensive teams in the league in double-quick time. With a better quality of player in that system I think he could easily do well at a top club.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
For 70 minutes I thought you were excellent last night and unlucky not to take the 3 points. That was a patchwork Palace team if ever there was one in balance - the entire first choice back 4 is injured and we have no left-back at all for a start - but I thought you moved the ball extremely well (love a diag don’t you?) and there are a lot of positive signs. Game only really turned towards us when Max Meyer came on and started linking our play, before that it was one-way traffic. Strangely in the last ten minutes if there was going to be a winner it looked like being us, funny old game.

What I saw in front of me was what I feared really though. As a club we are going backwards under our American owners and you continue to spend money on the profile of player I’d like us to be going after, while trying to implement a philosophy across the club. Sooner our Americans do one the better, they are nothing more than Mike Ashley minus the news coverage.

Question from me, how successful do you think your system can ultimately be with a limited quality of player? From what I have seen in a lot of games you are dominating possession but not scoring as many as you should, and also letting in some really poor goals. We were there for the taking last night, no question. If I am a big club I am already looking at Potter thinking he has implemented that system in one of the most defensive teams in the league in double-quick time. With a better quality of player in that system I think he could easily do well at a top club.
Genuinely gutted about that draw. We should have won and as stated above in the last ten it looked like there was only going to be one winner and that was Palace. But in the cold light of day there are a lot of positives we can take from this. We dominated possession, we were for the vast majority of the night the best team.

I was pleased to see Gross (cant do German characters!) and Trossard start in the same line up, though it was harsh on Alzate. Propper was immense and was probably my MoM, I was very worried about Stephens not playing but actually we didn't miss him nearly as much as I thought we might. Our goal was freat team effort with some lovely work from Bissouma, Gross, Trossard and of course Mapauy. But we were undone by our failure to find a second goal (we could/should have had 2 or 3) and fecking Zaha, the sooner he leaves Palace the better, I hate seeing him line up against us!

As for how successful we can be, I think we can, the quality of player is improving, Potter's first window was very successful in my mind and certainly raised the quality of our squad, we have some classy young players in Connolly, Alzate, White (at Leeds) and Mac Allister (at Boca Juniors) we are still learning "Potterball" and I hope to see us turn some of those frustrating draws into wins in the second half of the season.

The bolded bit is my biggest worry, Potter is working wonders at Brighton as he did at Swansea and Ostersund. I really worry how long we will hang on to him. The club has a clear long term strategy overseen by Potter, Ashworth and Bloom and losing the manager would be a massive hit to that, but he signed a contract extension last month, so the club sees this danger too.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Haha yeah Wilf does normally produce for us when we play you lot; I was very pleased to see Muzza stay on the bench for that same reason! I thought one of Potter’s few mistakes on the night was not doing more to shut down your right hand side as Wilf managed to get one on one with your right back two or three times in the last fifteen minutes...that rarely happens against most teams. Meyer started drifting over there as well and he is one of the few players we’ve got that is on Wilf’s wavelength, and luckily for us it worked out. Nevertheless, it’s a point we would possibly both have taken prior to the game.

I can definitely see other clubs coming for him at some point, luckily for you I think more focus will be on the likes of Chris Wilder and Nuno all the time they are getting the results to go with the performances. Much like us with Zaha, I think you just have to enjoy him while you have him.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not what I expected when they got their new manager if I’m honest.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Very satisfying win for us yesterday in a game we haven't got much out of in recent seasons. Wasn't pretty by any means but I'll take it and it seems the blueprint to beating this Brighton side for those of us in the pack is to sit tight and wait for a mistake as they will always give up a chance or two. OP curious where you're at with Potter at the moment? Seems to be a little bit of discontent on NSC.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
4 of their last 5 home games are against Man. United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man. City so think they'll struggle to get much above 35 points. Their GD is much better than those around them which could yet be crucial.

Perseus

Very satisfying win for us yesterday in a game we haven't got much out of in recent seasons. Wasn't pretty by any means but I'll take it and it seems the blueprint to beating this Brighton side for those of us in the pack is to sit tight and wait for a mistake as they will always give up a chance or two. OP curious where you're at with Potter at the moment? Seems to be a little bit of discontent on NSC.
Awful standard of football; the much vaunted pressing game by Palace disrupted the Brighton passing game (like other teams) and made for a disjointed game which I did not enjoy. Potter does not play the best players. Where was Duffy?

Brighton 2 Arsenal 1

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Time to bump this thread as it’s going to be a nervy run in still for Brighton, but what a way to restart a very difficult run in with our first win of 2020 and our first league double over Arsenal!

Genuinely couldn’t see us getting anything from this game especially after our form before everything was suspended.Though there was the odd threat and little combinations of neat passing in the first half, Arsenal were the dominant team by a mile and I really couldn’t see us taking anything from it.

But thankfully Arsenal were strangely toothless up front until Pepe scores that beautiful curler in the second half. I almost turned off at that point with relegation looking more and more likely. But as normal a couple of names stood out for us Dunk as always was the centre of everything good for us and Burn alongside him had a good game with some great last ditch tackles. Bissouma just never stopped, some of his passing was erratic but he was immense in midfield and up front Maupay was often threatening. I would have liked to have seen a bit more from Trossard and March, both of whom I really rate.

Dunk’s equaliser was not pretty and was down to some really poor Arsenal defending and Maupay’s winner was brilliantly taken and well deserved. After the equaliser, Arsenal seemed to go to sleep and the majority of threat from them just dried up.

As for Leno’s injury Maupay seemed to me to be within his rights to go for the ball and in doing so collided with Leno who fell really awkwardly. A silly challenge maybe but certainly not malicious in any way. I didn’t understand why Leno, Arteta and the whole Arsenal team seemed intent on calling Maupay a cnut throughout the rest of the game. It was clearly an unintentional accident. Would interested in @Grinner ’s take on that.

Anyway a massive win for us, just Leicester, United, Liverpool and City to go in our run in!

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
What instructions do you suppose Graham Potter gives the barber when he goes for a haircut?

Mr Smith

Man, I would have Graham Potter right now as Utd manager. You can see a discernible style of play in his teams. Other than LVG, we have not had a guy at the helm who can actually coach players, after SAF.
I like him a lot, but this is very premature. I think Brighton can be a little too easy to play against sometimes, though their attacking sophistication should have them higher in the table than they are.

Deserved result yesterday though.

Leicester 0 Brighton 0

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I worried that our first 3 games from the restart would leave us with no points, Arsenal home, Leicester away and United at home. So far though that’s 4 crucial points.

Seems it is being written up as a boring 0-0 draw, it there were plenty of positives for me. Lamptey on his debut start was man of the match for me. He totally contained Chilwell and was an excellent outlet for the defence. Mac Allister also had his debut start and looks a clever creative player. He was Boca’s no.10 and you don’t play that regularly without having a bit about you, really looking forward to seeing from him.

Shame about Maupay’s penalty, a win here would have been fantastic, but it was quite weak and Schmeichel is a good goalkeeper. But we look good going forward and have strong squad to draw on now and towards the end of the match when Leicester were really pushing we contained them well. Very happy with this.

Next United ..... :devil:

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
They actually move the ball quite well and aren't scared of playing football. Out of the small teams they are nice to watch.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
They actually move the ball quite well and aren't scared of playing football. Out of the small teams they are nice to watch.
It's a huge change from how we played the last few seasons under Chris Hughton and a bit of a gamble given the quality of opposition in the prem and the fact that (as United know only too well) a lot of teams play with solid low block.. But you are dead right, I much prefer watching us play like this even if it is quite nervy most of the time!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Thought Lamptey looked really good and Dunk is extremely underrated as a CB. It won’t be an easy game unfortunately.