Brighton and Hove Albion 2020/21 season

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I've been staying away from this thread recently as watching Brighton up until the saints game has been making me ill!

Stupid referee whistles, missed penalties, dominating games and losing to last minute silly goals, we 've had as much luck as a bastard on fathers day.

Finally though, we win against Southampton, our current bogey team, in the most Potter way possible. Losing Dan Burn and switching Gross, an attacking midfielder to wing back (where he's never played before) turned out to be a touch of genius! I really hope this turns things around for us, but we will see against Newcastle next weekend, this win will pointless if we can not beat them at ours.

Nickosaur

@The Boy Yep as relieved as I was after the Saints game, a win vs Newcastle is just as important. Then I might relax.

Lallana has played two back to back 90 min games for the first time @ Brighton. He's been brilliant, if he can stay fit he is such an asset.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy Yep as relieved as I was after the Saints game, a win vs Newcastle is just as important. Then I might relax.

Lallana has played two back to back 90 min games for the first time @ Brighton. He's been brilliant, if he can stay fit he is such an asset.
I really think Lallana and Welbeck have upped our quality. I know lots of Brighton fans have slagged them off for never being fit, but to be honest of they were always fit, they wouldn't be playing for Brighton!

The more I think about, the more I think we will just get better and better over he coming seasons, if we keep Potter. I think the issue has been our players are not all at the quality needed to play his brand of football. Obviously we can not go out and buy top players in their prime as they wouldn't come to us and we couldn't afford them anyway, so our focus on buying youth and bringing through our own is the only way forward. Mac Allister is the perfect example of this, he is just getting better and better every time I see him play, Sanchez too is another and I have high hopes for Zeqiri, Caicedo, Richards and Moder as well, if we can keep this up and keep ourselves in the epl this season and next (which I am not too worried about, but that can change quickly!) then we could have a hell of a team.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I really think Lallana and Welbeck have upped our quality. I know lots of Brighton fans have slagged them off for never being fit, but to be honest of they were always fit, they wouldn't be playing for Brighton!

The more I think about, the more I think we will just get better and better over he coming seasons, if we keep Potter. I think the issue has been our players are not all at the quality needed to play his brand of football. Obviously we can not go out and buy top players in their prime as they wouldn't come to us and we couldn't afford them anyway, so our focus on buying youth and bringing through our own is the only way forward. Mac Allister is the perfect example of this, he is just getting better and better every time I see him play, Sanchez too is another and I have high hopes for Zeqiri, Caicedo, Richards and Moder as well, if we can keep this up and keep ourselves in the epl this season and next (which I am not too worried about, but that can change quickly!) then we could have a hell of a team.
Isn't that kinda on the manager though? I mean, I like what Potter is trying to do, but if the football is too hard to execute for the squad you have, and Brighton can't get the players required to change that - then wouldn't another approach to the football played be better?

To be clear: I actually like managers aiming high and, since I'm not supporting one team or another, I can happily dislike pragmatism and hope everyone aims high - so I guess I'm playing the devil's advocate here.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Isn't that kinda on the manager though? I mean, I like what Potter is trying to do, but if the football is too hard to execute for the squad you have, and Brighton can't get the players required to change that - then wouldn't another approach to the football played be better?

To be clear: I actually like managers aiming high and,since I'm not supporting one team or another, I can happily dislike pragmatism and hope everyone aims high - so I guess I'm playing the devil's advocate here.
Not really, otherwise you'd end up with Tony Pulis or Big Sam and get stuck in a rut,

Clubs who have a preferred way of playing and an identity will genrally improve a lot more than the clubs who don't. It may take Potter a few more seasons to get the players who he needs to fully implement his ideas, or at least fully realise his ideas to the fullest extent.
Also you need to factor in the size of Brighton's budget, its not exactly huge, so these players that play in this style tend to be more expensive, so they have to get players in of a certain quality who they feel fits the mould but maintain the budget requirements.
Hence the reason they get in people like Welbeck and lallana for free. Quality players who can fit the mould but low cost options.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

To be clear: I actually like managers aiming high and,since I'm not supporting one team or another, I can happily dislike pragmatism and hope everyone aims high - so I guess I'm playing the devil's advocate here.
I agree with @Champ about the Pulis/Big Sam, we'd all be like Newcastle, a club with no real ambition.

What I love about Brighton at the moment is that Potter, Ashworth (Technical Director) and Bloom (owner) all have the same ambition for the club, they have a very clear strategy and are implementing it at a sensible rate while (fingers crossed) maintaining our premier league status. They have also said that if we did go down, and they have planned for that scenario, it won't change our approach the strategy remains the same. Progressive football and clear team development with the aim of buying young and developing the players we need. As a fan I'm fully on board with that and more than willing to stick with it even it does take a few seasons!

Given what the club and fans have been through over the last 30 years, seeing where we are now is amazing, I never thought I would see us in the premiership in my lifetime, the fact that we're there, staying there (just) ovr a number of seasons and playing good football is a dream!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not really, otherwise you'd end up with Tony Pulis or Big Sam and get stuck in a rut,

Clubs who have a preferred way of playing and an identity will genrally improve a lot more than the clubs who don't. It may take Potter a few more seasons to get the players who he needs to fully implement his ideas, or at least fully realise his ideas to the fullest extent.
Also you need to factor in the size of Brighton's budget, its not exactly huge, so these players that play in this style tend to be more expensive, so they have to get players in of a certain quality who they feel fits the mould but maintain the budget requirements.
Hence the reason they get in people like Welbeck and lallana for free. Quality players who can fit the mould but low cost options.
I agree with @Champ about the Pulis/Big Sam, we'd all be like Newcastle, a club with no real ambition.

What I love about Brighton at the moment is that Potter, Ashworth (Technical Director) and Bloom (owner) all have the same ambition for the club, they have a very clear strategy and are implementing it at a sensible rate while (fingers crossed) maintaining our premier league status. They have also said that if we did go down, and they have planned for that scenario, it won't change our approach the strategy remains the same. Progressive football and clear team development with the aim of buying young and developing the players we need. As a fan I'm fully on board with that and more than willing to stick with it even it does take a few seasons!

Given what the club and fans have been through over the last 30 years, seeing where we are now is amazing, I never thought I would see us in the premiership in my lifetime, the fact that we're there, staying there (just) ovr a number of seasons and playing good football is a dream!
I totally agree - having a strong vision that is maintained long-term on all levels is super important to create stability and performance growth. I also love what's happening at Brighton, it seems everything is being done right (except converting chances :) ). I was just trying to see whether, if the style is difficult and Brighton doesn't have the means to get players that can deliver it consistency over the course of a season (which @The Boy was saying is an issue), it might make sense to simplify things a bit. But yeah, watering down the 'philosophy' harms the stability and endangers the long-term prospects - and 'just' simplifying an approach doesn't really exist, that's armchair nonsense. (As is everything I write, but anyway. :D )

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wasn't sure where to post this, but as Davy Propper leaves Brighton to head back to PSV, I will never forget this little bit of magic against Bournemouth :lol:

AgentSmith

Wasn't sure where to post this, but as Davy Propper leaves Brighton to head back to PSV, I will never forget this little bit of magic against Bournemouth :lol:

That’s like when you make a foul on FIFA and the ref plays on so you have free reign to make another foul because the game won’t book you twice :lol:

Have there been any concrete links to a CF for Brighton? A clinical finisher seems like it would make the world of difference for you guys.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That’s like when you make a foul on FIFA and the ref plays on so you have free reign to make another foul because the game won’t book you twice :lol:

Have there been any concrete links to a CF for Brighton? A clinical finisher seems like it would make the world of difference for you guys.
We were definitely in for Nicolas Gonzales, Stuttgart’s Argentinian striker, but he preferred to go to Fiorentina.

Now there are rumours of us chasing Sadiq Umar, a Nigerian striker who scored 28 goals in the Spanish 2nd division last season. I know nothing else about the lad at all!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

:lol:

Side note but would be interested if, within the laws of the game, the referee should give two separate yellow cards and thus a red there? Or because play hasn’t stopped is it only one (a la FIFA, as said above)?