Brighton and Hove Albion 2020/21 season

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Your team always wants to play your own football no matter what.
Definitely, doesn't always work out for us, especially recently but we're always fun to watch!

city-puma

Definitely, doesn't always work out for us, especially recently but we're always fun to watch!
Very true! It’s good football to watch really. It doesn’t always work out for many reasons. A lot of times one issue i think is that the team couldn’t maintain the high intensity the whole 90 mins. It’s natural and no team can do that. But in the phase the team drops the intensity and stays in own half to defend with counter attack, your team’s defense can quite often start loosing composure. Many goals conceded in those periods which is very disappointing. Your team deserves better than that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Your build up play is so good, then it's sort of average in final third or the last move.

Very good team to watch, so much different from how it was before Potter. In the first half yesterday, it looked like every player was on same wave length.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hey mate how highly do you rate Ben White?

Do you think he can play for the best of the best? As a CB or CDM?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Hey mate how highly do you rate Ben White?

Do you think he can play for the best of the best? As a CB or CDM?
He clearly enjoyed himself playing in central midfield and proved he has good vision and a good passing range, but without doubt his best position is CB. He is comfortable on the ball and can pass out through the press as well. He struggled a bit when he first returned from Leeds, but over the last month or so has really settled in. Potter's played him across the back three, but he looks most comfortable in the middle rather than on the left or right.

I think he was overhyped in terms of where he was last summer, but this season he's got better and better and has huge potential still, so I rate him really highly and if he continues to develop at this pace, then after another season or two in the prem he could easily play for any top european team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He clearly enjoyed himself playing in central midfield and proved he has good vision and a good passing range, but without doubt his best position is CB. He is comfortable on the ball and can pass out through the press as well. He struggled a bit when he first returned from Leeds, but over the last month or so has really settled in. Potter's played him across the back three, but he looks most comfortable in the middle rather than on the left or right.

I think he was overhyped in terms of where he was last summer, but this season he's got better and better and has huge potential still, so I rate him really highly and if he continues to develop at this pace, then after another season or two in the prem he could easily play for any top european team.
Okay thanks, looks like it's a bit too early to go for him and need to see how he does across a couple seasons.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Feel sorry for their fans, they weren’t there to experience this year’s home win. There’s always next year I guess.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Really like what Potter’s done there and I hope he doesn’t go the same way as Howe. It’s great trying to play good, positive football but when you lack that quality in the squad, it’s also a risky approach that can see you get relegated. So many matches Brighton have dominated and should easily have won but for a lack of quality in the final third. Hope they can stay up for years to come and they keep developing.

Selbourne

Feel sorry for their fans, they weren’t there to experience this year’s home win. There’s always next year I guess.
I don't feel sorry for them. I heard that some Brighton fans wanted Potter sacked like a month ago on their website forum (dunno about social media)

I most likely heard from The Boy or some other poster?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't feel sorry for them. I heard that some Brighton fans wanted Potter sacked like a month ago on their website forum (dunno about social media)

I don’t actually feel sorry for them, it was a reference to their last 3 home wins coming in 2019, 2020 and 2021 so they’re not due another one until next year.

Selbourne

I don’t actually feel sorry for them, it was a reference to their last 3 home wins coming in 2019, 2020 and 2021 so they’re not due another one until next year.
My bad. I only quoted you there just for an excuse to get my point across.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I really hope BHA give him the funds to upgrade the side. Potter is a good manager, and like Howe, the team is struggling because the players aren't good enough to play the way he wants week in week out.

I have a feeling though, that he might end up as the next Southampton manager, especially if Hassenhuttl gets poached by a bigger club.

Nickosaur

Some fans yes. There was definitely a vocal minority who wanted Potter out/said he was no better than Hughton. Which is laughable. I was at the Amex in one of Hughton's final games and the players lacked all belief and confidence in him. Only stayed up because other teams around them were even worse.

Whereas this season - even during countless frustrating games where Brighton controlled possession, created loads of chance, but just couldn't put the ball in the net - the difference in Potter's football and overall vision is obvious. Just needed some more clinical finishing from the front three.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't feel sorry for them. I heard that some Brighton fans wanted Potter sacked like a month ago on their website forum
I'm sure there were a few fans on RAWK calling for Klopp's head when results went south for a month and I've seen them on Blue Moon going after Pep. It's the same for us a small noisy bunch of idiots who think for some reason we should be storming the league and refuse to see the huge amount of excellent work that Potter's achieved on and off the pitch since he arrived.

GazTheLegend

Who are the players responsible for creating all that xG you waste??? Because although I don't watch much Brighton (obviously) it always looks like you absolutely batter teams statistically on shots and big chances created. If you got better strikers would you be way up near the top or are there other glaring issues?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Lies and fake news.

We had more than one home win in 2019 including Spurs, Everton.

I'll give you 2020, though that was a great win against Arsenal, though if some bunch of workshy cheating northerners hadn't somehow fluked a penalty after the final whistle had blown.......

2021 is just getting going for us I expect 2 more home wins at least!

AgentSmith

Not sure that he's be the right player to play a double pivot alongside Fred. Bissouma is a good disruptor, is tidy with the ball nd can dribble the ball forward between the lines powerfully. He has a habit of drawing in opposition players and then playing the ball out safely to someone in the space he's created.

What he's missing at the moment is really top quality positioning, he can get caught out quite easily sometimes and he's not the player that will find that defence splitting pass. Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player, he is easy on the eye and a joy to watch sometimes but if you are looking for a quality defensive midfielder (which is how I see Rice) he's not quite the right player.
Fair enough. Does seem like he'd be a good option for Arsenal next to Partey.

Good luck for the rest of the season! Really like the team and system Potter is trying to build for you guys, a refreshing change to the West Brom and Burnley's of the world.

Nickosaur

Absolutely ecstatic :lol: to get back to back wins vs Spurs and Liverpool is fecking incredible stuff.

Potter and the team seem to be getting the luck that they weren't getting earlier in the season.

Al-T

Lies and fake news.

We had more than one home win in 2019 including Spurs, Everton.

I'll give you 2020, though that was a great win against Arsenal, though if some bunch of workshy cheating northerners hadn't somehow fluked a penalty after the final whistle had blown.......

2021 is just getting going for us I expect 2 more home wins at least!
Seems Potter is being given time to build something at the Amex. He doesn't seem to shirk the tough decision, letting Duffy go to Celtic is one thing, moving on the experienced but underperforming Goalkeeper Ryan and bringing in young Sanchez takes nerve. But your defence seems significantly more assured.

Brighton were full value for their wins against Spurs and Liverpool, playing attractive stuff. Hope you get a result against Burnley to consolidate the week.

Mickson

Graham Potter is one of the best managers in the league, a better manager than Solskjaer. Would be really interesting to see him in a big club. Very impressive by the way he has transformed Brighton. Showed us all that you can go to Liverpool and play with good build-up play and create chances due to patient passing.

RashyForPM

Brighton are finally getting the results they deserve. They’ve been outperforming teams in terms of XG all season long, to the point where their performances have warranted a top 8 team. Last night, Pool’s XG was 0.92 and Brighton’s 1.37. In terms of the whole season, rounded up to a whole number, they’ve underperformed XG by 7 and conceded 4 more than expected. It’s unfortunate that they’ve only just escaped the relegation dogfight, because they should be contending for Europe like a West Ham.

Generally, chance creation and ball distribution have been excellent attributes for Brighton this season, which is testament to how good Potter is as a manager. Chance conversion has been the problem in attack, which guys like Maupay and Connolly should take the blame for for lackadaisical finishing. In defence, they’re finally cutting out the mistakes. Dunk and Webster are imperious and White is someone who I’ve firmly believed for a long time that we should sign for CB.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The best I have seen a team play at Anfield in a long long time. The broke against Liverpool at will. It wasn't even last ditch defending, it wasn't even long balls. They played out from the back and kept cutting through.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't watch a great deal of Brighton unless they're playing us or our rivals, but I was really impressed by how they played out from the back yesterday. The confidence and composure they had to do that at Anfield against a team who are known for their high press,was very impressive.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Wonderful to see this thread bumped, was starting to wonder where you boys had gone :D

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Brighton are 15th. Would y'all argue Potter's results are on par with their quality or is he overachieving?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Graham Potter is one of the best managers in the league, a better manager than Solskjaer. Would be really interesting to see him in a big club. Very impressive by the way he has transformed Brighton. Showed us all that you can go to Liverpool and play with good build-up play and create chances due to patient passing.
Why are you such an incredibly tedious poster pushing your agenda in every thread?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Brighton are 15th. Would y'all argue Potter's results are on par with their quality or is he overachieving?
Considering they were hovering around the 10th highest net spenders in the whole of Europe over the last 5 years (until Bloom called it in a bit last summer) there’s an argument to be made that he is actually underachieving...before these two games against a Kaneless Spurs and an injury-ravaged Liverpool they looked bang in trouble. Just a couple of weeks back, in fact, I popped in to Northstandchat and was confronted with Potter Out after Potter Out thread much to my shock and surprise, a huge majority of their support wanted him gone in one poll I saw. What say you @The Boy and @Nickosaur? :D

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Absolutely ecstatic :lol: to get back to back wins vs Spurs and Liverpool is fecking incredible stuff.

Potter and the team seem to be getting the luck that they weren't getting earlier in the season.
What do you think of Maupay? I thought he lead the line very well last night and was a real handful for their CBs. Granted, the CBs were a CM and a player from the reserves, so its not exactly VVD, but still thought he was good.

I was also surprised by how young he is. I know that he is a real bastard to play against most of the time, but just wondering if he could be seen as an improvement on our number 9, out and out strikers.

Nickosaur

Considering they were hovering around the 10th highest net spenders in the whole of Europe over the last 5 years (until Bloom called it in a bit last summer) there’s an argument to be made that he is actually underachieving...before these two games against a Kaneless Spurs and an injury-ravaged Liverpool they looked bang in trouble. Just a couple of weeks back, in fact, I popped in to Northstandchat and was confronted with Potter Out after Potter Out thread much to my shock and surprise, a huge majority of their support wanted him gone in one poll I saw. What say you @The Boy and @Nickosaur? :D
I'd say don't pay any attention to north stand chat :lol: to be fair there were a fair few in the Potter out camp on the subreddit too. But I wouldn't say majority. Most were confident that we'd get some luck/start putting more chances away.

And Liverpool might have an injury crisis but they still have the potential to batter teams 7-0 ;)

Nickosaur

What do you think of Maupay? I thought he lead the line very well last night and was a real handful for their CBs. Granted, the CBs were a CM and a player from the reserves, so its not exactly VVD, but still thought he was good.

I was also surprised by how young he is. I know that he is a real bastard to play against most of the time, but just wondering if he could be seen as an improvement on our number 9, out and out strikers.
Maupay gets a lot of stick for being wasteful, which has been a real problem at times. Tends to need several chances to score, by no means a natural goalscorer. But players like Trossard have been equally guilty of wasting chances - if other players stepped up in goal contribution it likely wouldn't be an issue. I like him, he can be a cnut but as you say he's still relatively young and this is only his 2nd season in the top flight.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Underachieving based on their performances(massively so), about par for the quality of the team

A team that relies on maupay, trossard and connolly for goals is never going to be anything more than bottom 10 in a strong league

JustAGuest

Underachieving based on their performances(massively so), about par for the quality of the team

A team that relies on maupay, trossard and connolly for goals is never going to be anything more than bottom 10 in a strong league
Spot on. One of the most exciting managers in the league right now. I have no doubt he will find himself at a bigger club in the future.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I'd say don't pay any attention to north stand chat :lol: to be fair there were a fair few in the Potter out camp on the subreddit too. But I wouldn't say majority. Most were confident that we'd get some luck/start putting more chances away.

And Liverpool might have an injury crisis but they still have the potential to batter teams 7-0 ;)
Absolutely, the proper Liverpool A team can do that to anyone :lol:

Keep it quiet but I am a Potter fan, I just wonder how high he can ever take you playing that way when in the main the opposition have greater individual quality than you do, especially in forward areas. And with the losses announced recently you have to wonder how much money is going to be there for bridging that quality gap moving forwards as well. Would love to see him with a better squad to see what he can do, preferably with Sami Hyppia coming back to manage you.