Brighton and Hove Albion 2020/21 season

Mickson

Yes quite clearly. What has potter done to prove he’s on that level.
He plays better football and has a clear style of play despite almost no resources in comparison. His results at Ostersund are more impressive than anything that Ole has ever done, and in a similar league too. What has Ole proven?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Insulting another member
Lies and fake news.

We had more than one home win in 2019 including Spurs, Everton.

I'll give you 2020, though that was a great win against Arsenal, though if some bunch of workshy cheating northerners hadn't somehow fluked a penalty after the final whistle had blown.......

2021 is just getting going for us I expect 2 more home wins at least!

... you still wouldn’t have won. That wouldn’t mean you’d have been given a goal you cretin. So your grand total of wins would have still stood at 1.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He plays better football and has a clear style of play despite almost no resources in comparison. His results at Ostersund are more impressive than anything that Ole has ever done, and in a similar league too. What has Ole proven?
Ole has proven that he can manage massive personalities at an elite club which frankly is the hardest thing to achieve and one of the most underrated attributes in football. Frankly if Potter turned up at Utd he would be laughed out the changing room by the likes of Pogba, Cavani, Matic etc. Also Ole has easily had us plying our best football for a decade so honestly I think your looking at it wrong.,

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Have a feeling Potter will be Southampton's next manager, after Hassenhuttl goes to a bigger club

Nickosaur

Have a feeling Potter will be Southampton's next manager, after Hassenhuttl goes to a bigger club
Don't think that's enough of a step up. Think Potter will be able to aim higher when his time at Brighton comes to an end.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't think that's enough of a step up. Think Potter will be able to aim higher when his time at Brighton comes to an end.
Southampton are a tier or two above Brighton, with all respect to BHA. And that has a lot to do with the budget and spending power.

Potter, despite all the work he has done, would be lucky to break into top 10 in the next 2 years - in which case he'll be frontrunner for even Leicester/Spurs level clubs. But if we're being realistic (and we saw this earlier with Howe), Albion will be around 12th-15th in atleast the next couple of seasons.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ben White is the most puce footballer I've ever seen.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Considering they were hovering around the 10th highest net spenders in the whole of Europe over the last 5 years (until Bloom called it in a bit last summer) there’s an argument to be made that he is actually underachieving...before these two games against a Kaneless Spurs and an injury-ravaged Liverpool they looked bang in trouble. Just a couple of weeks back, in fact, I popped in to Northstandchat and was confronted with Potter Out after Potter Out thread much to my shock and surprise, a huge majority of their support wanted him gone in one poll I saw. What say you @The Boy and @Nickosaur? :D
Sorry for delay in replying.

They might have been against a Kane-less spurs and an injury ravaged Liverpool and lots of reporting has focused on that without mentioning we were without Lallana, Wellbeck, Lamptey, Izquierdo as well as Veltman and Mac Allister against Liverpool.

As for the North Stand Chat, as I said there's a few very loud voices that don't rate Potter though that's calmed down a bit now and though he has made some weird decisions in the past, generally we're a far better team than we ever were under Hughton, though I was gutted when he sacked.

I still think we'll finish above Palace this season!

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
... you still wouldn’t have won. That wouldn’t mean you’d have been given a goal you cretin. So your grand total of wins would have still stood at 1.
Good post, well thought out.

No Spring Chicken

I find Brighton a very irritating team to watch to be honest. Not when they're beating Liverpool of course, that was great to watch. But in a lot of games they play really nice football up to the edge of the penalty box, but then they're so risk averse on the edge of the box that its kind of frustrating. Instead of trying to get their decent fullbacks on the overlap, or to get a midfielder running into the box to create a chance, they seem to prioritise always having an extra player outside the box so they can keep the ball. The result is lots and lots of passing around the edge of the box and very little penetration.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good post, well thought out.
:lol:

What are your thoughts on Ben White? Built up quite the reputation for himself at Leeds and there's rumours in the media big clubs are sniffing around him. How do you think he's acclimatised to PL football?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently they conceded more shots and xG to burnely then they did to spurs and liverpool combined :lol:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Sorry for delay in replying.

They might have been against a Kane-less spurs and an injury ravaged Liverpool and lots of reporting has focused on that without mentioning we were without Lallana, Wellbeck, Lamptey, Izquierdo as well as Veltman and Mac Allister against Liverpool.

As for the North Stand Chat, as I said there's a few very loud voices that don't rate Potter though that's calmed down a bit now and though he has made some weird decisions in the past, generally we're a far better team than we ever were under Hughton, though I was gutted when he sacked.

I still think we'll finish above Palace this season!
Haha no problem. I think you will finish above us as well, if ever there was a team plodding along and going through the motions until Roy departs in the summer then it’s us. Now no Zaha for a while either, grim!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Pathetic display from your lot last night, can barely remember you touching the ball :D

Nickosaur

Pathetic display from your lot last night, can barely remember you touching the ball :D
:lol: Thought you might chirp up!
Still gutted to be honest. Yes completely undeserved but fair play on the 3 points. 2 very good finishes without ever being in the game.
Same story for Brighton unfortunately.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Obviously nothing better than a 90+5 winner away at your biggest rivals but I don't take a lot of pride in sh*thousing a win like that to be honest (though it's more than I expected with Zaha out).

Still...hope it's Roy's last brighton game as we are signficantly better than how he's setting us up.

Don't know what to say about you lot really, I am not sure you can even call it daylight robbery at this point as it seems to be the same pattern game after game when you're playing at home. Must be as frustrating as watching Royball in its own way.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

25 shots/75% possession vs 3 shots/25% possession and lose 1-2. That's proper FM stuff right there.

Nickosaur

Fulham to snatch their PL place? They've bottled every single 6 pointer this season.
Bottle the 6 pointers v relegation rivals but then tend to get results in the bigger games. Wouldn't be surprised if they got 3 points against United :lol:

Nickosaur

Has that Ecuadorian lad played yet?
Played for the U23s yesterday. Will be a while before he's involved with the first team I reckon. Some think he'll be the replacement for Bissouma who may be sold in the summer.

RashyForPM

Brighton could go down this season when in my view, they’ve outperformed the likes of West Ham, Spurs, Chelsea, Leeds etc who’ve all got tons of praise. 90% of games, they concede very few chances with Dunk, Webster, Bissouma and White looking imperious while creating chance after chance. They’re XG is higher than their opponents almost every game. If they had Haaland (you can tell this is a hypothetical post now, but you know what I mean), they’d be in West Ham and Chelsea’s spot challenging us and Leicester for top 2 :lol:

Nickosaur

Brighton could go down this season when in my view, they’ve outperformed the likes of West Ham, Spurs, Chelsea, Leeds etc who’ve all got tons of praise. 90% of games, they concede very few chances with Dunk, Webster, Bissouma and White looking imperious while creating chance after chance. They’re XG is higher than their opponents almost every game. If they had Haaland (you can tell this is a hypothetical post now, but you know what I mean), they’d be in West Ham and Chelsea’s spot challenging us and Leicester for top 2 :lol:
I'm a United fan, but Brighton are my second team and I watch pretty much every game of theirs. I can honestly say I get more stressed watching Brighton than United :lol: This week (the Palace loss and again today v WBA) has been fecking unbearable.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It depends though. Under Hughton they had Glenn Murray who used to score double figures for them no problem (scored 12 league goals in 17/18 and then 13 the next season). Obviously ancient now but not convinced Potter would be happy with that sort of striker who you have to hit long balls up to all the time to get them in the game.

Think he prefers a Maupay or Welbeck who can stretch play and give them more space for midfielders to run into even if you sacrifice a few goals.

Fulham are similar in having really good approach play but no one to score unless Maja can kick on from his two goals the other week.

Not sure what's up with Brighton again. They were superb v Liverpool and Spurs and battered us but messed up the last few games and know they're really hoping Fulham don't win at Palace otherwise they're in massive danger.

I suspect they'll get the 3 wins they need though. Would still say Newcastle are more in danger.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The Totally Football Show was quite right in saying Potter's done quite a good job but they will probably still go down because the quality in the team isn't that right. They can get relegated and him still get promoted to manage a bigger club.

They've had what 40 shots in the past 2 games with 2 penalties and only managed 1 goal. There's only so much a manager can do :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just a supreme lack of player quality in attacking positions. Apart from the xG stuff, they have the 7th most shots per game this season. It’s insane how poor their attacking players are at scoring goals.

Maupay is top scorer on 7 goals and he should easily be in double figures with the chances they create. The next highest attacker is Welbeck/Connolly/Trossard all on 2 each. Insane stuff.

RashyForPM

I'm a United fan, but Brighton are my second team and I watch pretty much every game of theirs. I can honestly say I get more stressed watching Brighton than United :lol: This week (the Palace loss and again today v WBA) has been fecking unbearable.
I can imagine how irritating it is to constantly batter your opposition, whether Pool, Chelsea, Villa or WBA but still hardly ever end up winning. I rate Potter very highly. If he had Cavani and Bruno instead of Maupay and Welbeck, he’d be minimum top 6. This is why I always say that in the event Ole does get sacked this summer, which I wouldn’t want because it would mean we’ve failed this season, Potter is right up there with Nagelsmann as the ideal replacement.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
They are so much better than their position in the table says they are. They just need to learn how to finish off teams. They dominate almost every game they play yet end up with results like today where they miss 2 penalties, have a good goal called off (still don't know why?) and lose 1-0

Nickosaur

I can imagine how irritating it is to constantly batter your opposition, whether Pool, Chelsea, Villa or WBA but still hardly ever end up winning. I rate Potter very highly. If he had Cavani and Bruno instead of Maupay and Welbeck, he’d be minimum top 6. This is why I always say that in the event Ole does get sacked this summer, which I wouldn’t want because it would mean we’ve failed this season, Potter is right up there with Nagelsmann as the ideal replacement.
Yeah there aren't many Brighton fans blaming Potter right now - certainly not these two most recently losses. I agree he could do a superb job at a higher level, but he seems to be enjoying the project down at Brighton - completely trusted by Bloom and is backed by some excellent supporting staff. I hope he can keep Brighton up this season and have one more season with a few more clinical strikers - would be really interesting to see how Brighton do if they can actually put chances away!

RashyForPM

It depends though. Under Hughton they had Glenn Murray who used to score double figures for them no problem (scored 12 league goals in 17/18 and then 13 the next season). Obviously ancient now but not convinced Potter would be happy with that sort of striker who you have to hit long balls up to all the time to get them in the game.

Think he prefers a Maupay or Welbeck who can stretch play and give them more space for midfielders to run into even if you sacrifice a few goals.

Fulham are similar in having really good approach play but no one to score unless Maja can kick on from his two goals the other week.

Not sure what's up with Brighton again. They were superb v Liverpool and Spurs and battered us but messed up the last few games and know they're really hoping Fulham don't win at Palace otherwise they're in massive danger.

I suspect they'll get the 3 wins they need though. Would still say Newcastle are more in danger.
Yeah I’m not advocating him sacrificing their positive fluid football by getting a Murray/Crouch profile of striker, but he definitely needs a Maupay who can actually put the ball in the net. Like, at least convert 1 in 3 chances. At least despite his poor results, the excellent performances by Brighton have quietened his naysayers. ‘Hipster’, ‘bottler’ etc. One of my ideal replacements for Ole should he get sacked, probably alongside Nagelsmann.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah I’m not advocating him sacrificing their positive fluid football by getting a Murray/Crouch profile of striker, but he definitely needs a Maupay who can actually put the ball in the net. Like, at least convert 1 in 3 chances. At least despite his poor results, the excellent performances by Brighton have quietened his naysayers. ‘Hipster’, ‘bottler’ etc. One of my ideal replacements for Ole should he get sacked, probably alongside Nagelsmann.
Maupay has 7 in 23 games, 10 last season so might not seem like it but he's at that one in 3 level pretty much already.

I've said it before but they lack that go to player for me. For example Grealish for us last 18 months, Zaha with Palace. Someone who can drag struggling team to 3 points even with mediocre team performance. Brighton don't even win or draw when they play really well sometimes.

Lamptey probably nearest but full back and injured for a while now.

RashyForPM

Yeah there aren't many Brighton fans blaming Potter right now - certainly not these two most recently losses. I agree he could do a superb job at a higher level, but he seems to be enjoying the project down at Brighton - completely trusted by Bloom and is backed by some excellent supporting staff. I hope he can keep Brighton up this season and have one more season with a few more clinical strikers - would be really interesting to see how Brighton do if they can actually put chances away!
Definitely. Top 6 at the very least if they carry on these performances with a clinical striker. One thing though, I’m surprised Welbeck took the second pen. I’ve not been so sure that a player would miss a pen in a long while :lol:

Nickosaur

Definitely. Top 6 at the very least if they carry on these performances with a clinical striker. One thing though, I’m surprised Welbeck took the second pen. I’ve not been so sure that a player would miss a pen in a long while :lol:
Yeah I groaned when I saw him step up for that. Welbeck has been a strange signing in general - us United fans will know that he is a decent player in terms of his build up play but has never been the most clinical finisher. So he's exaclty what Brighton don't need... I honestly think bringing back an aging Glenn Murray would be a better option :lol:

RashyForPM

Maupay has 7 in 23 games, 10 last season so might not seem like it but he's at that one in 3 level pretty much already.

I've said it before but they lack that go to player for me. For example Grealish for us last 18 months, Zaha with Palace. Someone who can drag struggling team to 3 points even with mediocre team performance. Brighton don't even win or draw when they play really well sometimes.

Lamptey probably nearest but full back and injured for a while now.
I feel like all they need is a pacey and honest striker who is also clinical. Talk of the town atm is Ivan Toney, and they desperately need Brentford not to get promoted so Toney gets caught in the Watkins situation last summer. The guy is too good for the Championship and will genuinely propel Brighton into the top 6 should their general performances carry on into next season.

MetoTTT

Bissouma could be a very good addition to the club at a very reasonable price...me thinks.