Brighton and Hove Albion 2022-23

simplyared

Player movements:

Caicedo: cost 5 mill. (60 mill bid from Arsenal turned down)
Cucurella: cost 15.4 mill (sold to Chelsea 60 mill)
Mac Allister: cost loan deal 7 mill (value 45 mill at least) WC winner!
Ben White: sold to Arsenal 58.5 mill
Trossard: 116 apps, cost 15 mill sold to Arsenal 24 mill

1997 a late takeover bid saved them from falling out of the football league.
5yrs later they were one division away from the prem.

Recently lost their most successful manager to Chelsea.
The big clubs have attracted their big name players away from the club.
It’s run by a 52 yr old poker player
They look like they’re in the PL to stay currently sitting in 6th in and just knocked them Scousers out of the FA cup.
They could well qualify for European football next year.

Someone at the club must have majical powers?

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The style of football is great to see. They’ve come along way from when Chris Hughten kept them up playing defensive football.

Abraxas

People in betting circles know very well about how good Bloom and his business are in analysing football so to talk about him playing poker is besides the point. So it's no wonder they can spot value, the data they trawl through is immense. They move markets in football, particularly Asian markets. They probably apply similar ideas to recruitment. Not exactly the same but the attention to detail and analytical ideas. So that's very far from magic or an implication of luck playing any part, it is proper graft and competency.

Abraxas

Criminal he didn't get an England call up. Typical Southgate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Figured I'd bump this one instead of just talking about 5 different player threads. Easily the most admired team in the prem from everyone pretty much. Hope they hang on to their players, buy they do a good job at replacing them anyway. But it is very arguable that they are just the 3rd best prem side based on the overall package. Young team, sign unknown gems to replace the players that get poached, play a high press, dominant attacking style of play against anyone they play against. You look at their team right now and they have some genuine world class prospects in vital positions. Mitoma, Ferguson, Caicedo and then De Zerbi as the coach .. if they manage to keep hold of them, no reason why they can't keep this up. Full credit to them.

Vabelico

Chelsea doesn't exist on the pitch. Brighton looks great. Mitoma, Mac Alister, Caicedo top players

Lights Out

Why is De Zerbi on the bench? Don’t you get a touchline ban after being sent off?

Castia

Sensational season for Brighton and De Zerbi

For such a small club to lose key players and their manager to not only have a good season but play with such style is incredible

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a team and what a performance, brilliant from start to finish, should have scored atleast 5.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
It seems a lot of you didnt watch Sassuolo when De Zerbi was there. They played ridiculous attacking football in Serie A and the quality if the team was lower than it is now at Brighton. It will be a joy to watch him managing some top team..at times it looks like the return of prime Barcelona during the Pep era there.. no one is playing like that anymore, even Guardiola himself..

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Be a shame if they don't make Europe. What a team!

Bondi77

Very impressive team and while Potter would have a much fatter wallet after his west London experience he must have some regret in leaving what he built at Brighton.
I was a little bit disappointed that Ferguson got injured as it was my first look at him and he was impressive and Mtoma reminds me of when Martial first came to us minus the end product.
We will have our work cut out trying to get past them at Wembley.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Unreal team with an unreal coach. They play the best football in the league and it isn’t even close.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Unreal team with an unreal coach. They play the best football in the league and it isn’t even close.
I feel guilty for saying how much I wanted to beat you in the Welbeck thread now!:)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Feels like it’s finally all clicked for them which is nice to see.

I rate Potter highly but starting to think he might be one of those managers who does well to put foundations down at a club but just doesn’t have that tiny sprinkle of world class quality to take them to the next level like De Zerbi possibly does.

led_scholes

I do feel that us and them are in the worst end of Var decisions recently.

But honestly the recruiting and the coaching team are doing a phenomenal job.

lysglimt

Scout
Ferguson and Veltman will both miss the match against us - and possible the next 2-3 league games. We are not the only team struggling with injuries. Sarmiento, Lallana, Moder and Lamptey already missing. Chances are they could have a bench with maybe 1-2 established players against us, the rest will be youngsters

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
De Zerbi is streets ahead of Potter. Brighton were always difficult to face but they did lack the final third threat. Somewhat like Potter at Chelsea.

De Zerbi’s Brighton are not only good to watch, they’re rampant and dangerous.

They Should have scored more yesterday.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I feel guilty for saying how much I wanted to beat you in the Welbeck thread now!:)
Don’t worry, the context is well understood :lol:

I’m very envious of the football you play. I can’t remember the last time a team played us off the park so comprehensively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Souness on Brighton appointing De Zerbi. How he gets paid for his punditry work is beyond me.

bringbackbebe

Souness on Brighton appointing De Zerbi. How he gets paid for his punditry work is beyond me.

Safe to say it's wise to listen to an expert like Souness and do the exact opposite of what he says to succeed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It will be interesting to see who stays and leaves this summer. You'd expect one of Caicedo or Mac Allister to leave and perhaps one of Mitoma or Ferguson. They'll have a fight on to keep at least 3 of those.

Sea-Cow

Incredible side. They will destroy us at Wembley unfortunately. I’ll be there to see it live.
They might, but I feel there is room for optimism in that their most potent attacking threat is down the left side from Mitoma, and I am confident that AWB can handle him 1 v 1.

Would feel a lot better of course with Lisandro out there leading everyone in battle, but alas.

Nickosaur

They might, but I feel there is room for optimism in that their most potent attacking threat is down the left side from Mitoma, and I am confident that AWB can handle him 1 v 1.

Would feel a lot better of course with Lisandro out there leading everyone in battle, but alas.
Possibly but that would be a disservice to Solly March on the right who has been outstanding this season.

Strootman's Finger

Fantastic team at the moment that are thoroughly enjoyable to watch. I'm a bit worried about next week, but having Casemiro and Eriksen back gives us a good shot and lines up a real midfield battle. Without those two Brighton's midfield would have ran circles around us.

Watching them is a bit like watching Dortmund, I start having visions of these players in a United shirt, but similar to Dortmund their players really seem to shine their but don't necessarily replicate it elsewhere. Having said that, I'd take Caicedo in a heartbeat.

mav_9me

Ferguson and Veltman will both miss the match against us - and possible the next 2-3 league games. We are not the only team struggling with injuries. Sarmiento, Lallana, Moder and Lamptey already missing. Chances are they could have a bench with maybe 1-2 established players against us, the rest will be youngsters
How many of them are starters though?

Gandalf

Not sure if you guys are jm trying to jinx or what but yeah they are not going to batter us. They might well win but with our first choice CM available it should be a great game.
Not a jinx but working on the principle of a pessimist is never disappointed. I do feel a lot more confident after seeing the way our midfield trio played yesterday but then I think about Lindelof as our only senior CB available and I shudder. Being here in the States I get all the PL games live in full and I watched Chelsea vs Brighton on Saturday and lets just say it is a miracle Brighton didn't score 6 or 7.