Brighton and Hove Albion 22-23: A season to remember

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
There’s lots to be excited about as a Brighton fan at the moment as Graham Potter continues to transform the club. Last season’s 9th place finish was our best ever and things are looking just as good for next season.

So far our transfer business has been mostly about the future apart from new striker Deniz Undav. The last two summers we were chasing Darwin Nunez, this window he’s moved a little out of our league but proves our scouting department knows what it is talking about. Hopefully Undav will match up. We actually bought him in January but loaned him straight back to Union SG in the Belgium league (also owned by our our owner Tony Bloom) where he scored 27 goals in 39 appearances, the prem is a big step up but there are high hopes.

Julio Enciso signed from Paraguay is said to be an 18 year old attacking wonderkid, he already has 6 caps, but I imagine he will be introduced very slowly and maybe even loaned out like Caicedo last season.

We lost Bissouma to Spurs, but we’ve all known he was leaving for ages, the only surprise was he didn’t end up at Arsenal. I’m not worried about losing him at all, as we have a very talented midfield, not least Caicedo who will be his main replacement. But with Alzate, Mwepu, Moder, Mac Allister and Lallana as well in midfield we are well stocked there.

We may lose Cucurella to City, but if we do they will have to pay through the nose for him which will be fine. He was outstanding last season and I hope he stays because at the moment we have no reliable back up at LB. Trossard may also go, though those rumours seem to have gone quiet for the moment.

I would expect us to buy another CB or bring though one of our U23s as we lost White to Arsenal and Dan Burn to Newcastle last season, though Webster, Dunk and Veltman are all incredibly solid players, we lost all of them to injury last season at different points. We will also, I presume, buy a new left back if Cucurella goes. If he leaves for 50M that’ll be 145M in player sales since June last year, so we have the cash to play with.

I’m surprised there haven’t been more rumours around bigger clubs looking at Lamptey, but it looks like he is definitely staying for the moment.

The club is stable and very well run, the manager is fantastic and our succession planning and future building is really second to none at the moment …. I am very confident.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to mention Jeremy Sarmiento another Ecuadorian international, who's just 20 big things are expected of him and Potter rates him very highly, the poor sod went of with hamstring injury in his first league start last season and had to have it operated on he was out for pretty much all of the season. So looking forward to seeing him as well.

Last edited:

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Play some very organised and attractive football. Your players seem to 'get it' and 'buy into it' Maybe one thing missing from last year was having a more consistent goal scorer. Is there any prospect of a traditional CF incoming this summer?

As for Lamptey, he has mixed opinions on here but for an attacking fullback, I would take a punt on him at United, doubtful if Brighton would let him and Cucurella go in the same window though ?

Good luck for the next season @The Boy

flappyjay

Good luck to you guys, always liked the way you play. That being said we need to put you in your place this season for that 4-0 spanking.

Nickelodeon

I hope you get as* handed to you on Day 1. But I like Brighton otherwise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bailed out by Mike Ashley in February

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It will be interesting to see how you cope this year losing Bissouma and possibly Cucurella. At one time we had Barkley, Stones, Lukaku and Deulofeu, a proper good young core with bags of potential and we went on to lose them piece by piece over the next few seasons, recruited poorly and turned to absolute shite. Losing Ashworth isn't something to be glossed over either, he was key to your recruitment and smooth running of the club since you've been in the PL. This is your biggest test I think and for any club, the transition period from a team/backroom staff that has elevated you to that place to a new fresh side that has everything to prove again.

BorisManUtd

Good luck in new season, you really play some great football and have likeable manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good luck! I like Brighton and the way they do business and play football.

however I can’t help but think that thread title is going to bite you on the bum

Oranges038

Relegation form will see Potter sacked by December. Only to be replaced by Big Sam, who will prove that proper football is the only way to save them from relegation.

Baneofthegame

There’s lots to be excited about as a Brighton fan at the moment as Graham Potter continues to transform the club. Last season’s 9th place finish was our best ever and things are looking just as good for next season.

So far our transfer business has been mostly about the future apart from new striker Deniz Undav. The last two summers we were chasing Darwin Nunez, this window he’s moved a little out of our league but proves our scouting department knows what it is talking about. Hopefully Undav will match up. We actually bought him in January but loaned him straight back to Union SG in the Belgium league (also owned by our our owner Tony Bloom) where he scored 27 goals in 39 appearances, the prem is a big step up but there are high hopes.

Julio Enciso signed from Paraguay is said to be an 18 year old attacking wonderkid, he already has 6 caps, but I imagine he will be introduced very slowly and maybe even loaned out like Caicedo last season.

We lost Bissouma to Spurs, but we’ve all known he was leaving for ages, the only surprise was he didn’t end up at Arsenal. I’m not worried about losing him at all, as we have a very talented midfield, not least Caicedo who will be his main replacement. But with Alzate, Mwepu, Moder, Mac Allister and Lallana as well in midfield we are well stocked there.

We may lose Cucurella to City, but if we do they will have to pay through the nose for him which will be fine. He was outstanding last season and I hope he stays because at the moment we have no reliable back up at LB. Trossard may also go, though those rumours seem to have gone quiet for the moment.

I would expect us to buy another CB or bring though one of our U23s as we lost White to Arsenal and Dan Burn to Newcastle last season, though Webster, Dunk and Veltman are all incredibly solid players, we lost all of them to injury last season at different points. We will also, I presume, buy a new left back if Cucurella goes. If he leaves for 50M that’ll be 145M in player sales since June last year, so we have the cash to play with.

I’m surprised there haven’t been more rumours around bigger clubs looking at Lamptey, but it looks like he is definitely staying for the moment.

The club is stable and very well run, the manager is fantastic and our succession planning and future building is really second to none at the moment …. I am very confident.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to mention Jeremy Sarmiento another Ecuadorian international, who's just 20 big things are expected of him and Potter rates him very highly, the poor sod went of with hamstring injury in his first league start last season and had to have it operated on he was out for pretty much all of the season. So looking forward to seeing him as well.
Are you keeping Matt Clarke this year or another loan?

Blood Mage

Losing Bissouma wasn't ideal and if Cucurella leaves too it could be a long, difficult season for you guys. I admire your optimism though and Potter is a fantastic coach so there's no danger of relegation for you at least.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Losing Ashworth isn't something to be glossed over either, he was key to your recruitment and smooth running of the club since you've been in the PL. This is your biggest test I think and for any club, the transition period from a team/backroom staff that has elevated you to that place to a new fresh side that has everything to prove again.
I should have written about Ashworth going as you are right, he was a massive influence on the club and huge part of everything we do not just recruitment. I am optimistic though, David Weir who has taken over had worked with Ashwirth and I think one of the key things that have made us so successful is the combination of Tony Bloom (owner) Paul Barber (chief exec) Potter and Ashworth all had exactly the same vision and strategy for the club, Weir is already completely bought into that as well. But time will tell, our transfers this window will have been partly planned by Ashworth before he went, maybe 23-24 will be more telling.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Are you keeping Matt Clarke this year or another loan?
No news on that at the moment, he had a OK season at West Brom and stood out, but it was in a terrible team, so maybe he stays ... I wonder if he'll ever see a Brighton shirt!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cracking end to last season, see you've signed a few strikers already although none of them are that high profile so will you loan them out or will one of them be the actual CF alternating with Maupay and Welbeck?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Cracking end to last season, see you've signed a few strikers already although none of them are that high profile so will you loan them out or will one of them be the actual CF alternating with Maupay and Welbeck?
Think Brighton will struggle this season if a proper goal scorer isn’t signed.
We’ve signed a guy called Denis Undav - top scorer from Belgium league for last two seasons. I have faith in our scouting department. We spent the last two summers trying to sign Darwin Nunez before anyone had heard of him!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I should have written about Ashworth going as you are right, he was a massive influence on the club and huge part of everything we do not just recruitment. I am optimistic though, David Weir who has taken over had worked with Ashwirth and I think one of the key things that have made us so successful is the combination of Tony Bloom (owner) Paul Barber (chief exec) Potter and Ashworth all had exactly the same vision and strategy for the club, Weir is already completely bought into that as well. But time will tell, our transfers this window will have been partly planned by Ashworth before he went, maybe 23-24 will be more telling.
As a United fan, I find the concept of a club in unity at all levels very difficult to comprehend.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We’ve signed a guy called Denis Undav - top scorer from Belgium league for last two seasons. I have faith in our scouting department. We spent the last two summers trying to sign Darwin Nunez before anyone had heard of him!
Yeah, be interesting to see how he does. If he flops though I think Brighton will struggle.

Finished the season strongly of course, but were VERY close to a relegation battle before that.

And have lost some important players (if they lose Cucurella also).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Brighton are a likeable club, I hope they do well

Jama18418

Kacper Kozlowski is the one I’m looking forward to seeing. There’s also young Portuguese midfielder forgot his name he looks very good from Porto I think.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
As a United fan, I find the concept of a club in unity at all levels very difficult to comprehend.
Don’t worry we’ve had a far worse board before than yours!

Back in the 90s ours changed the rules of the club so they could sell the ground for profit and then left the club with full pockets. We had no ground for over a decade!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Don’t worry we’ve had a far worse board before than yours!

Back in the 90s ours changed the rules of the club so they could sell the ground for profit and then left the club with full pockets. We had no ground for over a decade!
We've only seen stage 1 of the Glazers' project, give them time!

Seriously though, it's good to see a likeable, well-run club punching above its weight. Makes a nice change from oil clubs and bloated, underachieving big boys.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If Southgate flops in the World Cup I expect Potter to be appointed by England mid season. There's always the chance he takes a dual role until the end of the season however.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Doesn't seem that long ago everyone was chucking coins into buckets to rescue them.
How things change eh.