Sun, 19 August 2018 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 57 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    They are fecking shit, if half our team show up we will beat them. Brighton are the worst side I've seen live, they are going down this year. If Rom plays we will destroy them, comfortable 2.0 win to United.
    Now this is what I wanted to hear!!!

Canagel

This is quite telling really, how far we've regressed. Not many people are confident we can beat Brighton away. However If it was City or Liverpool, the majority consensus would be a a huge win for either of those teams.
    Very true. And that is down to our philosophy and defensive mindset. Teams like City and Liverpool set out to attack every opponent and know what they have to do. City especially probably practise all week to face parked buses. We had some really good one off results in big games last season but couldn't translate that into the smaller games. We struggle more against these teams because we don't do attacking football. It wasn't anything to do with attitude and not being up for it imo because a footballer should be up for every game. Also our team changed plenty of times and we still played the same.
    It's because we don't practise attacking football. Jose is very good tactically at adapting to big opponents because there's no pressure on us to take the initiative. The games we struggle in are those we are expected to be the dominant team and be proactive.

JMack1234

We need to avenge that drab awfully uninspiring defeat we suffered last year.

TheRedHearted

We can't lose to these cnuts again. 9 days until our next match so hopefully we'll have more of the World Cup boys up to full fitness by then and can sneak a 1-0.
    A 1-0????

Believe it or not, any game lost is practically losing the title. No way we will only score one against this side. GGMU

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Pretty sure Mourinho will do it like this..

IN: Young, Lingard, Lukaku
    OUT: Darmian, Mata, Rashford
    SUBS: Martial, Rashford, Fellaini
    If Lukaku thinks he is ready for it, I'm thinking the same.

Also i don't see Lindelof starting over Smalling for this one.
    I think he'll give them some time to develop a partnership actually, despite the lack of aerial prowess.

NoPace

Don't see Mourinho taking the Mata/Darmian show on the road after how poorly they defended in the first half against Chilwell and Gray. Lukaku should start up top, but I'd expect a change at either RB (Young if he's healthy, will be given a chance to win that job if Shaw is playing well at LB) or RW (Lingard or even Rashford).

haram

Very true. And that is down to our philosophy and defensive mindset. Teams like City and Liverpool set out to attack every opponent and know what they have to do. City especially probably practise all week to face parked buses. We had some really good one off results in big games last season but couldn't translate that into the smaller games. We struggle more against these teams because we don't do attacking football. It wasn't anything to do with attitude and not being up for it imo because a footballer should be up for every game. Also our team changed plenty of times and we still played the same.
    It's because we don't practise attacking football. Jose is very good tactically at adapting to big opponents because there's no pressure on us to take the initiative. The games we struggle in are those we are expected to be the dominant team and be proactive.
    When teams parked the bus against us last season it didn't really work though... look at our home record...

ash_86

If Lukaku thinks he is ready for it, I'm thinking the same.

I think he'll give them some time to develop a partnership actually, despite the lack of aerial prowess.
    I concur. It's crazy that we don't have a settled back 4.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    As a Brighton fan I would hope for....

Grant
    Smalling - Jones - Rojo
    Darmian - McTominay - Fellaini - Young
    Mata - Sanchez - Martial

We could deal with this team as long as Sanchez has an off day and Fellaini gets sent off!

buckooo1978

Brighton at home will be a different proposition

----------DDG----------
    AY---EB-----VL----LS
    ----------AP-------------
    ------Fred--PP-------
    JL-------RL--------AS

big game for Sanchez - he needs to show it or Martial should be in

Smores

Quite excited for this, didn't know how much I'd missed league football until it started again

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    Brighton are actually pretty good at home. They finished 8th in the Home Table last season with the below:

Wins: 7
    Draws: 8
    Losses: 4

They beat Arsenal 2:1 and United 1:0, draw with Tottenham 1-1.

It's their Away form that's atrocious (they finished bottom in the Away table last season).

jmaggio

Yes, and let's hope it doesn't go the same way.

It's a shame Andreas will be dropping out when Matic is back up to speed, I hope he still gets plenty of chances this year.
    I know , it was a short lived hope but I was still rediculously excited at the prospect of them playing together.

Andreas, Paul and Fred are all players I enjoy watching. They would get walked over by better teams though, I’d play Andreas against minnows and Matic against rivals IMO

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    We were In absolutely dire form when we went there last season.
    We need a win here. The first few games are supposed to be where we rack up the points .If we have anything about us we will win.
    Thanks.

Irish Jet

Supports
    Anyone but Rashford
    Results all that matter until the team get some cohesiveness. I can see this being a tough game – Young back four and an unfamiliar midfield. Hughton sides always make for nasty away games.

If Pogba and Lukaku are on form then we’ll have enough – When they are they destroy lesser teams. Also need Sanchez to get his head out of his ass.

Will be an ugly performance – I expect a draw and chaos to ensue until we beat Spurs.

Jacob

Let's hope Sanchez turns up, he was abysmal against Leicester.

Irish Jet

Supports
    Anyone but Rashford
    Also have a sneaking feeling Fellaini might start. Scenes if he does.

Fraud

If anything, Mata is the most ideal player for this kind of match. When you need some creativity to break lines.

Unironically, we play better with him.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    If anything, Mata is the most ideal player for this kind of match. When you need some creativity to break lines.

Unironically, we play better with him.
    Nah, away from home when the opponent is more brave and willing to press the ball is where Mata really struggles. He's good against sides that sit back.

Walters_19_MuFc

Only 2 players outside our own half too.
    That's the way Jose wants to play, though, and I'm personally fine with that, as long as we provide a counter threat.

As you can see, the two players in the oppositions half are the left winger (Sanchez) and the striker (Rashford), and this is what he has done throughout his managerial career, where he has given one winger less defensive duties, allowing them to be the attacking outlet and counter with the striker. It was Ronaldo and Higuain/Benzema at Real Madrid, Eto'o and Milito at Inter, Hazard and Costa at Chelsea and it seems Mourinho is going with Sanchez and Lukaku at United.

Difference is, he normally has a more defensive winger on the other side. Di Maria, Willian (Ramires for more solidity) Pandev (Chivu for more solidity).

Mata struggled with Chilwell against Leicester, and at one point, Mourinho had to put Rashford out there, as he couldn't match Chilwell with speed and strength. I guess this is why he wanted Willian, if rumours are to be believed. Perisic, who we were linked with last season, would have also been perfect for this role.

I think when Lingard is back, he'll come in for Mata. Not only does he work hard, but he has the ability to drive with the ball and provide a counter threat.

jmaggio

I’m proper excited for this one now since that press conference.

Hopefully we manage to maintain the pressure we showed in the first 10 mins vs Leicester a bit longer and we put a few past them, that would really help disperse the smog of negativity which has been gathering around our club for a while.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw