Tue, 30 June 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    Brighton have the advantages of a week rest and more time to prepare and they have no traveling to do.

I watched them against both Leicester, Arsenal, a well organised outfit that will be hard to beat. Last August to November this was the type of game whereby United would slip up in so what we have here is a great opportunity to prove once more that United have moved on from that mediocre inconsistent team.

I'd go with the same starting 11 as what started v Sheffield United. Shaw, Maguire,Bruno can be rested against Bournemouth next Saturday.
    Rest doesn't matter at all. The more you play more sharper you become. Think this as a preseason - we will have games thick and fast to get back to shape. That's exactly where we are now.

always_hoping

Rest doesn't matter at all. The more you play more sharper you become. Think this as a preseason - we will have games thick and fast to get back to shape. That's exactly where we are now.
    The full squad is used during preseason, sometimes 11 changes are made at half time in those games and they are generally low intensity games.

Three matches back and one can already see which players are lacking sharpness McTominay, Rashford etc while some of United best performers Bruno and Maguire have played every minute of action on their return and looking at the long term picture they will have to be rested in some game as let's be honest United can't afford to lose either to injury.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
    Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
    I think people need to stop looking at these games from a normal perspective. These are practically neutral venues. I can’t say I’ve seen one real upset since football has returned. The better team will win more often than not if both teams go for it in neutral settings.

I agree we need to play Bruno though. Every game if possible. Goal difference is also a factor, and Bournemouth and Villa are the two obvious opportunities I see for us really pushing our GD up. I think we need to be looking at going 7 goals up from those two if we can.
    The advantage is still with the Home side as it's their pitch, they train on it, they play 20+ games a season on it so know the fast and slower parts, where it holds up, or runs away, which parts have been over watered, which parts have purposely been left dry ....

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    Nervous about this one. We should play more or less the same eleven as the Sheffield game, and we should be fine. There's just so much at stake here, dropping points would be detrimental to our top 4 chances.

RedCurry

I hope Rashford can find his scoring touch. We need him to start firing in this final sprint to get us to CL football and perhaps bag a trophy or two along the way.

bondsname

Imagine if we lose this. Every United fan will be devastated, we will be in a horrible position to get top 4.

We have to win this, I hope the players realises it.

MonkeysMagic

Our away from has been abysmal this season, and given BHA strength at set-pieces, this could be a difficult game particularly if we need 2-3 goals to win. Not confident, hoping for narrow 2-1 win but could be 1-1.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    On the flip side, going from not playing for 3 months to suddenly playing full pelt matches every 3 days isn't great for bringing back stamina and raises the chances for potential injuries. Somewhere in between is probably ideal which is why I believe Brighton certainly have a rest advantage. They've trained to maintain fitness without having to exhaust themselves 120 mins over the weekend.

That said, we should still beat them comfortably.

Our away from has been abysmal this season, and given BHA strength at set-pieces, this could be a difficult game particularly if we need 2-3 goals to win. Not confident, hoping for narrow 2-1 win but could be 1-1.
    Have we struggled to deal with set pieces generally?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Brighton 2 Arsenal 1
    As has been said, I doubt anyone really batted an eyelid at that result. Besides maybe one or two teams, I go into every Arsenal match reasonably expecting them to lose it. It certainly isn’t a ‘shock’ result per se. They are in the bottom half.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Won't lie I'm slightly nervous about tomorrow's game. I thought it looked like the real banana skin outside of the more obvious Spurs n Leicester away games.

Win though and it's starting to look good. If we could win and Everton could beat Leicester at home then we are looking even better.

padzilla

Hipster
    They are all must-win games thanks to our terrible start to the season. We ran out of excuses long ago, it won't be easy but we are Manchester United and should have no fear.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    this is another one of those games where everything depends on which United show up: if we sit back and hope they come on to us and let them play, we could be in trouble and may not be able to break them down. If we play with a bit of pace and adventure we should be OK. Bruno will need to dominate midfield again...

Greck

If you told me years ago United fans would be nervous about facing Brighton I'd have laughed. Lads...it's Brighton. Most people here can't even mention their 2nd best player. 3-0 easy and back in the top 5

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    This won't be easy.

They've been in good form recently and play some good football.

Maupey is looking sharp and they've got some good talents in Mooy, Macallister and Lampey the RB from Chelsea's academy.

Dunk is always a threat aerially too.

Arsenal had plenty of chances to score so assuming we play our best we should also.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    For some reason Dunk always turns into Carles Puyol when they play us. So help me god if Lindelöf loses his man on corners.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    This is going to be a difficult game. We haven't beaten Brighton since their promotion right?

Hope the team are ready, there can be no slacking around. Everyone has to give it their all
    We've beat them a few times at OT.

I'm not sure if we've beaten them at their ground though. We've had a couple of shocking defeats there. One that stands out to me is when Rashford was baring down on goal from wide and Martial had a tap-in if he slid it across goal but Rashford smacked it straight at the keeper instead. We went on to lose the game and everybody blamed Rashford.

This is gonna be a very tough game though, I agree.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

You’ve not won at ours but you’ve beaten us at OT 3 times since we came up. Twice in the Orem and once in the FA Cup
    Have you still got that Gross fella? His name is spelt in a funny way like GroB or something mad. I remember him bagging the winner one year. Geezer does nothing all season yet turns into Zidane every time we play you.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    Have you still got that Gross fella? His name is spelt in a funny way like GroB or something mad. I remember him bagging the winner one year. Geezer does nothing all season yet turns into Zidane every time we play you.
    yes he’s still with us, not having as much impact as he did in his first season, I think he’s scored about 12-15 goals for us and yes 3 have been against you!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    He's a couple of years older than Lingard ffs.
    Never said he was young but he's a decent player IMO, always a threat whenever I've watched him and works very hard.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

yes he’s still with us, not having as much impact as he did in his first season, I think he’s scored about 12-15 goals for us and yes 3 have been against you!
    Hopefully he doesn't play tomorrow night! We have a history of one particular player from average teams (no offence) causing us problems over the years. Morten Gamst Pederson at Blackburn, Kevin Nolan at Bolton, Troy Deeney at Watford are other examples.

NJM78

I see a draw in this game and the faint hopes people have in us getting top four dwindle.

Roll on the season end.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
    Opted for the same lineup as Sheffield. Away at Brighton always feels like a banana skin for ua but I feel like we have the best starting 11 now than we have had in a long time so hopefully we cut down on the silly points dropped.

Class of 63

Sourness
    Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
    It's an ideal game for Lingard to come on and score a late winner, which would almost certainly lead to a poll:

a) Is he still a useful squad player?
    b) Oh shit that means he might be in the next matchday squad
    c) It's Lingard's fault Gomes is leaving
    d) I'd rather we'd have lost
    e) How can anybody back Ole when he keeps picking this %#_^~

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    I don’t think it does. Messi is talented, as is Greenwood.
    There is a difference between saying X player is talented and saying Player X is a talent. The latter usually refers to young talent while the former is just a general and standard way of saying a player is talented, regardless of their age.

I've only heard talent used to refer to young players.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
    I think that if we can go there and win, it will be the biggest sign of improvement to date. They are a good side with some good players and we haven’t won there.

Im excited to see if we really have turned a corner. A win here and thinks start to look very bright

Strelok

De Gea
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
    Matic--Pogba
    Greenwood--Bruno--Rashford
    Martial

This is a must win so Bruno must start.

Maybe Williams for Shaw.

And Greenwood must start. He's currently our best RW.

The advantage is still with the Home side as it's their pitch, they train on it, they play 20+ games a season on it so know the fast and slower parts, where it holds up, or runs away, which parts have been over watered, which parts have purposely been left dry ....
    And I read somewhere that the biggest advantage is the away team has to travel and spend the night in the hotel. That's very tiresome and usually affect player's conditions.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Brighton have the advantages of a week rest and more time to prepare and they have no traveling to do.

I watched them against both Leicester, Arsenal, a well organised outfit that will be hard to beat. Last August to November this was the type of game whereby United would slip up in so what we have here is a great opportunity to prove once more that United have moved on from that mediocre inconsistent team.

I'd go with the same starting 11 as what started v Sheffield United. Shaw, Maguire,Bruno can be rested against Bournemouth next Saturday.
    Maguire will play every minute of the PL season injury permitting. He neither wants nor needs resting. Who was our last player to do that?

I think Bruno is more likely to be rested at home to Bournemouth this weekend, but wouldn’t be surprised if he continued to start too. Brighton away is a much trickier game, so we need him here.

I would suggest that both Maguire and Bruno starting at Norwich is indicative of them being our 1st and 2nd club captains going forward and demonstrates how much the manager values their leadership and mental attributes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 64% of 360 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 379 ratings.

Score Predictions