Bristol slaver statue | Protestors found not guilty of criminal damage

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's a billion times better than that pin thing. I mean, there's actually something you can see may have took more than 12 seconds to design. It looks like something. Still won't have been worth whatever the hell they paid for it though.
Ah yeah, the Floozie in the Jacuzzi, she’s over near Heuston Station now, but I’d have her back in place of the Spire in a heartbeat.
Come on as soulless as the needle to the sky is it won't give me recurring nightmares.

In any case these atrocities make the case to abolish any government spending on public scenery and just limit it to essential services .

owlo

That's a whole other discussion!

I think our citizens' well-being is much more important than the public display of monuments. So why ignore their legit feelings? What is the gain?

Personally, I despise many of the statues that adorn this continent. In the main they are male, and killers of oppressors or those who profited from the deaths of European imperial and colonial wars.

Here in Ireland, many small towns have statues of patriots, monuments to the glory of violence. While violence can sometimes be justified. I despair at it being glorified.

All these many statues dwarf in number to their many victims. In my opinion, we need better monuments if we insist on having them. I love history, but statues give a misrepresentation and reinforce many of society's institutional oppressions.
I'm not buying that a statue of Edward Colston hurt 4 white dudes well being or feelings to the extent they got angry enough to tear it down. It's an excuse from other angers boiling over into something they could topple. Had they burned out Priti Patels car, or barricaded a police station, or something, I could relate more to their anger to that and perhaps cheer for them. But I feel they took advantage of the BLM movement and aggravations here to topple a target of opportunity for their own ends.

Obviously, it's just conjecture, but it's my feelings on it at least.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm not buying that a statue of Edward Colston hurt 4 white dudes well being or feelings to the extent they got angry enough to tear it down. It's an excuse from other angers boiling over into something they could topple. Had they burned out Priti Patels car, or barricaded a police station, or something, I could relate more to their anger to that and perhaps cheer for them. But I feel they took advantage of the BLM movement and aggravations here to topple a target of opportunity for their own ends.

Obviously, it's just conjecture, but it's my feelings on it at least.
I just see it as solidarity :)

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
'Will protestors target Hadrian's Wall to protest Roman slavery?'
By Reader's letter

NOW that the 'Colston Four' have been acquitted of criminal damage, despite admitting, boasting of and being filmed toppling the 18th century Bristolian’s statue, will sentries once again need to be posted to Hadrian’s Wall, to watch for protesters against Ancient Roman imperialism, even more dependent as it was on slavery?
Despite the Attorney General Suella Braverman “considering” referring the “perverse” acquittal to the Court of Appeal, though jury verdicts are unassailable except with new evidence, she persists in hailing the jury system “an important guardian of liberty”.

I wonder if the watching world agrees, or is it another British self-delusion, like the NHS being “the envy of the world”, even as many cancer and heart disease sufferers wait in vain for treatment?
Why am I not surprised that the BBC devoted most of its Saturday 'Today' radio programme to the demise of an American actor ininstea

Richard Lennox,
LLanghol

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/...a4aXqeAjjB2_HveI4nEm4tFUSlt45FeYXQw488efXx53E

Sweet Square

Woman allegedly linked to Colston protest fundraising denies fraud

A woman allegedly involved in fundraising connected to the Bristol protest during which a statue of the slave trader Edward Colston was toppled and dumped into the city’s harbour has denied fraud.

Xahra Saleem, 22, of Romford, east London, appeared at Bristol magistrates court on Tuesday accused of two counts of fraud by abuse of position.

The charges relate to online fundraising pages linked to the demonstration that allegedly raised tens of thousands of pounds. Saleem is accused of using money raised for herself.

She spoke only to confirm her name, address, date of birth and to plead not guilty to both charges.

District Judge Lynne Matthews told the defendant that because of the seriousness of the case it would have to be dealt with at the city’s crown court.

The Colston statue was toppled on 7 June 2020 and attracted attention around the world.

Saleem is said to have been associated with a group called All Black Lives Bristol and allegedly was involved in crowdfunding pages in connection with the demonstration.

The first charge alleges that Saleem committed fraud “while occupying a position, namely organiser, in which you were expected to safeguard or not act against the financial interests of ABL Bristol”. The charge adds: “You dishonestly abused that position intending to make a gain, namely used the funds raised for yourself.”

According to the second charge, Saleem was “expected to safeguard or not act against the financial interests of” a Bristol community organisation called Changing your Mindset Ltd. But the charge continue that she dishonestly abused the position of director, “intending to make a gain, namely used the funds raised for yourself.”

Both alleged offences are against the Fraud Act 2006.

Saleem will next appear at Bristol crown court on 30 January and was given bail.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-linked-to-bristol-protest-fundraising-denies

Sweet Square

It's unclear what the money was raised for. Was it to help with the legal costs for those charged with offences related to the protests? It doesn't say that but not sure what else it would be.
There was a story last year from the New York Times about how millions in funding money for BLM has gone unaccounted for, spent on property or hasn’t reached the places it needs. One of the many issues with these kinda of vague protest movements.

"Allegedly" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the articles in the right wing media about this.
Yeah I imagine their loving this. If this person is cleared I”ll doubt they will we give the same amount of press.