British Core

manunited1919

I hope this is all media BS and we aren’t going in that direction. If it’s true then we will be a floundering team for a good number of years. Sometimes mid-table, sometimes top 4, sometimes worse.

Siddharth

Many might disagree, but as things are developing, I hope we sign both Wan Bissaka and Zaha from palace, even if we are overpaying. It is clear that without CL football Sancho is not coming here according to press reports. Massive improvement on the right by signing proven quality players (at PL level) has great potential to get the best out of players like Martial, Pogba and Rashford. Some great British players are available. We will have to overpay but following players would massively improve us no matter what anyone says about their true value:
1. AWB (replacing Valencia)
2. Zaha (supplanting Mata, will play on the right)
3. Ben Chillwell ( Taking place of Young)
4. Maguire (will rid us of Rojo or Darmian)
5. Rice (Matic replacement in the XI)
6. James has already been signed to get Sanchez out of the club either on Loan or stressed asset sale ( he's a Non-performing asset lol).
No more square pegs in round holes. We will finally have a TEAM which is more than a sum of its parts. Expensive but in the long run worth it. We will definitely get CL qualification (top 4) and can win EL if we don't sell Pogba and the likes of Martial and Rashford improve (which I think they will because of massive improvement on our right side due to two signings from Palace and a more attacking leftback).
Of course, after getting CL we cannot rest on our laurels but will need to keep adding quality in the team in order to have team capable of winning PL and CL.

Green_Red

I don't give a feck where they're from as long as they play for the shirt and the supporters, and give 110% every game.

AkaAkuma

I can understand it for a few windows. It looks like the dressing room doesn't have a clear direction, so getting young players with a greater affinity for the club who want to play to win, rather than for the money is a way to create a decent atmosphere - at that point you can start adding different players into the mix.

Celoti23-81

I don't give a feck where they're from as long as they play for the shirt and the supporters, and give 110% every game.
Wow, we have stooped to new lows! Doesn't matter about ability no more then! Its like going from one extreme to another! “NO, we're not signing another Alexis Sanchez again, we WILL buy youth. Ole, there you go, bargain basement players for you, they will actually listen to you! Unlike Pogba who we will sell after our transfer window closes so we don't have to find a replacement!”
Ole, "thank you Eddie, I guarantee you I'll be a carbon copy of SAF. I have even transferred the 1999 treble from VHS to DVD so I can motivate the new ones! It worked a treat against PSG!”

Twisted Nerve

Wow, we have stooped to new lows! Doesn't matter about ability no more then! Its like going from one extreme to another! “NO, we're not signing another Alexis Sanchez again, we WILL buy youth. Ole, there you go, bargain basement players for you, they will actually listen to you! Unlike Pogba who we will sell after our transfer window closes so we don't have to find a replacement!”
Ole, "thank you Eddie, I guarantee you I'll be a carbon copy of SAF. I have even transferred the 1999 treble from VHS to DVD so I can motivate the new ones! It worked a treat against PSG!”
I don' think that's exactly what he meant. He said he doesn't care where they are from. I think it's implied that you would want said players to have ability.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I’m all for it. Fergie always had a British spine to his teams.

Rio - Gaz - Fletch - Scholes - Carrick - Giggs - Rooney

You need good British players who understand the league and the club. These players need to form the core of your team, after which you surround them with the silky and technical foreigners

In Rainbows

I'm also of the opinion that we should sign players from wherever, so long as they're talented. If all things were equal, its better if they're British or Irish because it means more years at the club.

However, it has to be really talented players who at the very least look better than our own. For example, Max Aarons at age 19 was young player of the year. My problem with Longstaff is that he's already 21, has only played 11 PL games, so most of his experience is from League 1. With that much experience is he clearly more talented than our own James Garner? No it is not that obvious. So I'm against the signing for the money he's going for. Am I a little biased against players who are 21 years old and aren't established? Yes because they're a little riskier than young players who are showing to be special at a younger age. You have to really show yourself to be special and I don't think Longstaff fits that.

For example, here are some players who aren't established at the highest level, but are clearly wonderkids. It's still a pretty mixed group with some failing at the highest level, haven't debuted at the highest level, or have a lot of success, but at a smaller level.

Unuvar (Ajax)
Gravenberch (Ajax)
Rayan Cherki (Lyon)
Max Aarons (Norwich)
Tonali (Brescia)
Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

I'll even take this kid
Matt O'Riley (Fulham)

I'm not saying these kids will turn out better than Longstaff. You never know with young players and different players develop at different rates. All I'm saying is that if we buy someone, they have to be clearly talented at a younger age, or be with a very small fee. This is probably where we disagree.

It will be interesting to see how much Sander Berge goes for when he is bought. Will he be more expensive than Longstaff?

Last edited:

RochaRoja

Worth bearing in mind that the core is the part of the fruit you throw away.

Hamadovich86

A British core is what SAF had when Ole was in his prime and Ole is oh so full of nostalgia. I have to say that I agree with the idea of a British core in the sense that United should have the best English players, the same way Barca, Madrid, Juventus and Bayern have the best players from their respective countries.

We have done a poor in identifying and bringing in British talent either to the academy or the first team. Since Rooney & Carrick we have not had a single British signing that had a positive impact on the club and that was over a decade ago.

Greck

Having a British core is great but things become tricky when you want to buy one. English wonderkids aren't a transfer policy I see ending well. When I look back at some of the wonderkids we wanked silly over in the last decade. Wilshere, Rodwell, Barkley, Phil Jones, Josh mceachran, Walcott, Welbeck. To think these were supposed to be the surefire stars worth taking a punt on

UpWithRivers

The most nonsense statement ever that keeps getting thrown around like its a thing. Its bordering on far right ideology and shouldn’t have a place in football. Imagine any other company saying this.
Im pretty sure no one can tell you even what it means? Half the first team are british? Well that just means the majority of the squad is not. Half the squad is british? Well good luck with that. And why? It makes absolute 0 sense.
Its implying that British players are superior because they work harder and have more passion. Really? Does anyone actually believe this? Or its because they have experience in the league? Well then you would say we will build a team with a core of experienced prem league players.

And its impossible to implement if you want to be the best simply because there are not enough good available British players. Simple fact.

So what is the point of this statement? Tell me? What is it supposed to mean?

Hawks2008

Someone tell Madrid they are signing too many foreigners and that they need a Spanish core.

Josep Dowling

I see nothing wrong with having a British core. The issue I have is we aren’t targeting the best British players. Wan Bissaka is probably the best British player we are targeting, he’s third in the pecking order for RB for the national team.

Most are already at the top 5 clubs and won’t come to us. I don’t understand why we are targeting British players when there is no evidence to prove this brings success.

Maguire whether he’s good is simply not worth £80m. He’s part of a Leicester defence that leak goals like a sieve. Now that’s not just down to him but I don’t see anything there that’s going to make our defence more solid.

Sancho is likely to cost over £100m after one good season in the Bundesliga, let’s not forget how good Micky looked in that league before we signed him. And in truth a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sancho worries me. 3 young players who are all inconsistent. Where’s the experience?

I don’t know what Solskjaer is trying to do but I feel if we buy the players we are heavily linked with whilst Pogba and Lukaku leave we are certainly dropping down the league. Wolves and Everton will be above us at this rate. I don’t know why fans are putting up with it or simply turning a blind eye. Real Madrid sign Jovic, Mendy and Hazard. This club should be able to do exactly the same. No messing about, get the deals done early for the best players available.

There are better players out there that are cheaper, available and improve our first 11. That’s what we need to do improve the first 11, not the squad. Cancelo, Muenier, Ndombele, Van De Beek, Lozano, Ziyech. That’s just a few names I can think of. Surely our scouts could do their job properly.

Last edited:

Celoti23-81

I don' think that's exactly what he meant. He said he doesn't care where they are from. I think it's implied that you would want said players to have ability.
I just think this new transfer strategy suits Woodward down to the ground! It's a transfer strategy destined for failure! A club like Utd in terms of a rebuild needs marquee players on top of youth! It's just getting the right ones. Our scouting network and transfer negotiation must be a complete shambles! Again, we are not linked with a right winger, it's a mess

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Ah, here we are
Ground zero. Where it all begins.
I say bring in all those youngsters users are labelling as championship level.
We need a centre pole before we build a bonfire.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Under SAF our British core evolved through circumstances. First there were the 3 foreign rule then the class of 92 took over. Apart from that SAF went for young hungry players whom he believed they had the attitude and talent to succeed. For every Rooney we had a Ronaldo, for every Rio we had a Stam, for every Cole we had an RVN or a Yorke. Towards the end of his career we implemented the disastrous value strategy which left the side weak in terms of talent. There again it wasn't a nationality thing but more of a club in full cost cutting mode who was avoiding paying bonuses to super agents

I feel that this close minded attitude is yet another failure from our club. We don't need 50 scouts to unearth Maguire from Leicester and we certainly shouldnt be relying on Giggs to recommend us a winger (although his contribution is appreciated)

Ian Reus

Under SAF our British core evolved through circumstances. First there were the 3 foreign rule then the class of 92 took over. Apart from that SAF went for young hungry players whom he believed they had the attitude and talent to succeed. For every Rooney we had a Ronaldo, for every Rio we had a Stam, for every Cole we had an RVN or a Yorke. Towards the end of his career we implemented the disastrous value strategy which left the side weak in terms of talent. There again it wasn't a nationality thing but more of a club in full cost cutting mode who was avoiding paying bonuses to super agents

I feel that this close minded attitude is yet another failure from our club. We don't need 50 scouts to unearth Maguire from Leicester and we certainly shouldnt be relying on Giggs to recommend us a winger (although his contribution is appreciated)
But we bought Bruce, ince, parker, viv etc to build the nucleus of the team. And then added the jewels. And we got rid of that core and replaced them with other English core players who formed the new spine of the team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But we bought Bruce, ince, parker, viv etc to build the nucleus of the team. And then added the jewels. And we got rid of that core and replaced them with other English core players who formed the new spine of the team.
As said 3 foreigner rule + the fact we couldn't afford paying the salaries foreign talent had. We couldn't even afford matching Batigol's salary given to him by Fiorentina

SAF only cared about 2 things ie talent and attitude. Nationality didn't matter.

Celoti23-81

Exactly! Unfortunately, ole and phelan are just yes men, nothing more! This is a Woodward masterclass that will end with the like of Leicester overtaking us! I'm sorry Ole fans. Awesome player, but won't be as manager! He record at Molde is sketchy to say the least!

Ian Reus

As said 3 foreigner rule + the fact we couldn't afford paying the salaries foreign talent had. We couldn't even afford matching Batigol's salary given to him by Fiorentina

SAF only cared about 2 things ie talent and attitude. Nationality didn't matter.
That rule didn't seem fair then. We weren't prepared for it. Stochkov for barca seemed like a cheat for them against us.

The class of 90 were dire as stand ins.

In Rainbows

I see nothing wrong with having a British core. The issue I have is we aren’t targeting the best British players. Wan Bissaka is probably the best British player we are targeting, he’s third in the pecking order for RB for the national team.

Most are already at the top 5 clubs and won’t come to us. I don’t understand why we are targeting British players when there is no evidence to prove this brings success.

Maguire whether he’s good is simply not worth £80m. He’s part of a Leicester defence that leak goals like a sieve. Now that’s not just down to him but I don’t see anything there that’s going to make our defence more solid.

Sancho is likely to cost over £100m after one good season in the Bundesliga, let’s not forget how good Micky looked in that league before we signed him. And in truth a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sancho worries me. 3 young players who are all inconsistent. Where’s the experience?

I don’t know what Solskjaer is trying to do but I feel if we buy the players we are heavily linked with whilst Pogba and Lukaku leave we are certainly dropping down the league. Wolves and Everton will be above us at this rate. I don’t know why fans are putting up with it or simply turning a blind eye. Real Madrid sign Jovic, Mendy and Hazard. This club should be able to do exactly the same. No messing about, get the deals done early for the best players available.

There are better players out there that are cheaper, available and improve our first 11. That’s what we need to do improve the first 11, not the squad. Cancelo, Muenier, Ndombele, Van De Beek, Lozano, Ziyech. That’s just a few names I can think of. Surely our scouts could do their job properly.
How are you complaining about Sancho and then using Jovic as a great buy for Real Madrid? It's the same thing. If you're worried about Sancho, but assured about Jovic, then you're just biased. Both played in the Bundesliga. Both have only had 1 class season. Both are young. Both are really obviously talented.

Kemizee

Yet another BS prioritised by the club that I reckon will not guarantee success. The EPL is a global league watched by virtually all countries. It is no longer a 'British' league.

Great Performers from all over the world are welcome. Quality, Technique and Attitude should be at the forefront of player recruitment and never Nationality. Why do we like shooting ourselves in the foot with ridiculous policies like this? Does not sit well with me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How are you complaining about Sancho and then using Jovic as a great buy for Real Madrid? It's the same thing. If you're worried about Sancho, but assured about Jovic, then you're just biased. Both played in the Bundesliga. Both have only had 1 class season. Both are young. Both are really obviously talented.
Sancho also had very good second half of the season in 2017-18.

Ian Reus

Yet another BS prioritised by the club that I reckon will not guarantee success. The EPL is a global league watched by virtually all countries. It is no longer a 'British' league.

Great Performers from all over the world are welcome. Quality, Technique and Attitude should be at the forefront of player recruitment and never Nationality. Why do we like shooting ourselves in the foot with ridiculous policies like this? Does not sit well with me.
I think just the core of the team should be home grown and also back up to first team but sprinkled with talent from all over the planet. That's how most teams are apart from maybe chel...

Josep Dowling

How am I biased? One cost £50m the other is over double that.

Bestietom

I'm also of the opinion that we should sign players from wherever, so long as they're talented. If all things were equal, its better if they're British or Irish because it means more years at the club.

However, it has to be really talented players who at the very least look better than our own. For example, Max Aarons at age 19 was young player of the year. My problem with Longstaff is that he's already 21, has only played 11 PL games, so most of his experience is from League 1. With that much experience is he clearly more talented than our own James Garner? No it is not that obvious. So I'm against the signing for the money he's going for. Am I a little biased against players who are 21 years old and aren't established? Yes because they're a little riskier than young players who are showing to be special at a younger age. You have to really show yourself to be special and I don't think Longstaff fits that.

For example, here are some players who aren't established at the highest level, but are clearly wonderkids. It's still a pretty mixed group with some failing at the highest level, haven't debuted at the highest level, or have a lot of success, but at a smaller level.

Unuvar (Ajax)
Gravenberch (Ajax)
Rayan Cherki (Lyon)
Max Aarons (Norwich)
Tonali (Brescia)
Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

I'll even take this kid
Matt O'Riley (Fulham)

I'm not saying these kids will turn out better than Longstaff. You never know with young players and different players develop at different rates. All I'm saying is that if we buy someone, they have to be clearly talented at a younger age, or be with a very small fee. This is probably where we disagree.

It will be interesting to see how much Sander Berge goes for when he is bought. Will he be more expensive than Longstaff?
We are NOT interested in Longstaff.

Garebo

You can't build a side fighting for PL and Cl overnight, look at Paris for instance. Next season we won't be fighting for those crones so at least we can build a core of British-more than decent players and in the next few transfer windows add a few more quality players from all over the world. If we could add AWB, Rice, Sancho, Odoi this year then we could start rebuilding this failing side step by step. What if Sancho and Odoi can be our Robben and Ribery, in the next few years? All of these guys will probably reach a very high footballing level and they are still so young. Add maybe Skriniar and Fernandes and get rid of Dr Gea, Rojo, Darmian, Bailey, Mata, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku. Get rid of that negativity we fell for so many years. If you do that then you will have he best transfer window of the last decade. What is the net spend from when Ronaldo left us? This transfer window should fix this problem. We can't be a club that produces no value to it's players like Paris has.

Tango80

I agree in that young British players should be the policy.

The problem with this side is that its just not 'likeable'. It feels like 11 individuals rather than a team, so even when they win I struggle to feel like they've put in the work to deserve it. Regardless of success, I just want a team with players I like.

Decomposing In Paris

Neville wasn’t the most talented. But how many modern fullbacks could cross like him? Not many and sadly Liverpool have one of them.

Butt was one of the best CMs at a World Cup. None of our current cms are good enough to lace his boots.
Whilst I loved Butt, Pogba is a better player. I agree with you about Neville, but while it mightn't be a popular opinion, I was actually more comfortable with a fit Wes Brown at right back. For that matter, I think Valencia actually had a higher ceiling as a fullback. I don't mean to detract from Neville or Butt, however there's no way they should be part of the world class discussion alongside Scholes, Giggs, & Beckham.

UpWithRivers

For those that keep saying we should buy British please let us know why? What does British give is that Other countries do not?
Im seriously interested

ash_86

For those that keep saying we should buy British please let us know why? What does British give is that Other countries do not?
Im seriously interested
We're looking at young and upcoming players say between 19-25. We were quite successful over the past 20 years and there is a good chance many of the current English youngsters would have idolized our club while growing up. For them signing for us would be a dream come true. This might also be true for many youngsters outside England, but the United's success would have been strongly felt inside the country more than outside (for obvious reasons). Also, if we want to build a British core, this is the time to do it as some of the most talented bunch of players are rising.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m all for it. Fergie always had a British spine to his teams.

Rio - Gaz - Fletch - Scholes - Carrick - Giggs - Rooney

You need good British players who understand the league and the club. These players need to form the core of your team, after which you surround them with the silky and technical foreigners
It's not only that, you're creating a culture. Bayern mop up the best German talent, Barcelona and Madrid fight over the best Spanish talent. This isn't a Brexit thing, your best teams have a core of some description, and it makes sense to build the core around the nationality of the country you play in.

Kaglish10

It's not only that, you're creating a culture. Bayern mop up the best German talent, Barcelona and Madrid fight over the best Spanish talent. This isn't a Brexit thing, your best teams have a core of some description, and it makes sense to build the core around the nationality of the country you play in.
Madrid during their last successful years didn't have a Spanish core. From the attack to the defence. Only Ramos and Carvajal were Spanish in their first 11.

This scream of when Liverpool went out for the likes of Ings, Andy Carroll, Clyne, Henderson, Joe Allen etc and we all know how it panned out. There's no problem in signing huge British talents but above average ones for huge millions?

crossy1686

career ending
Madrid during their last successful years didn't have a Spanish core. From the attack to the defence. Only Ramos and Carvajal were Spanish in their first 11.

This scream of when Liverpool went out for the likes of Ings, Andy Carroll, Clyne, Henderson, Joe Allen etc and we all know how it panned out. There's no problem in signing huge British talents but above average ones for huge millions?
Those players gave them a solid platform to build upon. Henderson, Milner, Sturridge and Llana are still part of that team so although they signed some shit, they haven’t done that bad out of it.